more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (12/12/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 11, 2015, 06:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Husband willing to return to Fulham

Middlesbrough left-back James Husband has confirmed he would be interested in returning to Fulham in January.

The 21-year-old is set to play his last game of his current loan spell this weekend when the Cottagers take on Brentford on Saturday.

Husband has already had two spells on loan at Craven Cottage having joined the London club this year on August 28.

He must return to the north East on December 13 but the youngster is open to the idea of a third spell in west London if the opportunity presents itself.

"I think everyone's got what they wanted out of it. I've played games, which I need to do, and I've enjoyed every minute of it," he said.

"I don't know what's going to happen over the Christmas period, I've obviously got to go back to Middlesbrough but then the loan window opens back up, so we'll have to see what goes on."

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/championship/husband-willing-to-return-to-fulham-1791947.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham stars grow weary of search to replace ousted manager Kit Symons
Symons sacked by west London club over a month ago
Players considering their futures with Cottagers still managerless
Ross McCormack being targeted by Sheffield Wednesday

Fulham players are growing increasingly disillusioned at the club's attempts to appoint a new manager.

The Championship club are still to replace Kit Symons, who was sacked by the club over a month ago.

And members of the Cottagers squad are baffled by the time it has taken to appoint Symons' successor.

Kit Symons was sacked by Fulham over a month ago and the club have still not appointed a new manager

Several players are understood to be frustrated by the delay; so much so that certain stars are ready to consider their futures in January.

Indeed, striker Ross McCormack is a January target for Sheffield Wednesday.

And the Scotland international could be tempted by a switch to Hillsborough should the search for a new boss drag on much longer.

Stuart Gray was this week drafted into the club's football management team as a senior coach.

But the search for a new head coach continues to drag on, with many players fearing the delay will cause unrepairable damage to their season.

Fulham, who are 16th in the Championship, haven't won since Symons was sacked on November 8.

Ross McCormack (left), challenging Preston's Will Keane, is a target for Sheffield Wednesday

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3356183/Fulham-stars-grow-weary-search-replace-ousted-manager-Kit-Symons.html#ixzz3u5ifPUo6
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Gray: Bragging Rights

WATCH: Senior Coach Stuart Gray believes the most important thing about his first game in the home dugout in SW6 is winning local bragging rights.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/december/11/gray-video?

WhiteJC

Fulham prepared to offer sacked Swansea boss Garry Monk an immediate route back into management
The Championship club are prepared to wait until the New Year for him to agree his Swansea City compensation package before making their move

Fulham are willing to offer Monk an immediate route back into management Photo: REX

Fulham want to hand Garry Monk a return to management and are prepared to wait until the New Year for him to agree his Swansea City compensation package.

But it remains to be seen whether Monk is ready to jump straight back into management in the Championship or whether he will wait for a Premier League job.

Monk was harshly sacked by Swansea this week, despite leading the club to a record-breaking eighth-place finish in the Premier League last season.

Monk retains the high reputation he forged at Swansea

The 36-year-old's reputation in the game remains high and Fulham believe he is the perfect fit for their vacant head coach job.

Fulham have appointed Stuart Gray as a senior coach and the former Sheffield Wednesday manager will take charge of the team against Brentford on Saturday, but the search for a full-time head coach goes on.

Gray's arrival means Fulham can afford to wait for Monk to finalise his pay-off from Swansea, which could run into the New Year, but they would want assurances he is interested in the Craven Cottage job.

Fulham are 16th in the Championship table, seven points off the play-off places and Monk would face a tough job to try to take the club up to the Premier League at the first attempt.

Fulham are already seven points outside the play-off places

Fulham have already seen Steve Clarke, who has since been sacked by Reading, turn down a job offer, while other candidates have ruled themselves out of the running.

While Swansea work through their list of targets to replace Monk, which include Gus Poyet, Dennis Bergkamp and, possibly, Ryan Giggs, former Manchester United manager David Moyes has confirmed he is not interested in the post.

"I'm not interested in the [Swansea] job, I let that be known earlier in the week that it wasn't for me," said Moyes. "When I was in Spain I was getting offered numerous jobs to come back to England and since I've lost my job I've had several offers to come back here as well as offers to go back abroad.

"I want to spend Christmas at home with the family if I can, but if the right job comes up that really excites me I'm ready to go. I don't need a rest or a break, but I want to make sure the job is the right one."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/12046587/Fulham-to-offer-Monk-route-back-into-management.html

WhiteJC

The Tale of Brentford Eve
by CHRIS GILBERTSON on DECEMBER 11, 2015

Earlier in the week I drafted an article liking the appointment of Stuart Gray to the underwhelming experience I had watching the Astronomical Clock in Prague's Old Town Square.

I wrote the allegorical tale on Monday, when rumours of Gray's appointment were swirling and there was talk of him taking training. I wrote it on spec with the rumours getting stronger, but Monday came and went in a lapping wave of disappointment. Disappointment that Gray was seemingly our choice and disappointment that we still hadn't actually announced anything formally even if he was. We were still dealing with what ifs.

By the time the announcement was actually made on Tuesday lunchtime, I think most people like me had actually gotten over the fact that someone as run of the mill as Gray was going to be appointed. When it was then revealed that he wasn't actually our new Head Coach, if you stopped to think about it, the appointment wasn't a actually a bad one. It was just a month late. So unfortunately my Prague story.

By this stage though, my Prague story seemed a bit moot and had to go back into the store cupboard. Apart from a few tweets existentially asking how we got to this point and asking if Fulham got here by luck or design, there seemed little else to say. It also seemed that I wasn't alone. Fulham fans seem stuck in an endless purgatorial loop somewhere between utter despair and self-loathing but with a small glimmer of hope.

Well, it's now rolled around to Brentford Eve and I can hardly remember a derby game with a more muted build up. West London derbies hardly rival those in Istanbul, Rome or Glasgow for intensity at the best of times, but tomorrow is still one of our two most emotionally charged home games of the year. Or at least it should be if we weren't all so apparently browbeaten. When you consider that Brentford will bring almost half their home attendance to Craven Cottage tomorrow you begin to realise this game counts just a little bit more than the others.

We may not have a manager, we might not be playing that well at the moment, but we bloody well need to get our mojo back and that isn't just down to those players on the pitch come 3pm tomorrow afternoon. Mismanagement and miscommunication should not enough to dampen the love we all have for our club. For a little while longer yet, it might be up to us to pick ourselves off the canvas. The last month has shown nobody else is going to do it.

For two hours tomorrow afternoon let's forget Stuart Gray was announced with a big picture of Mike Rigg glaring down on us. Let's forget the Football League have yet to announce the results of their Financial Fair Play investigation. Let's not worry that Sheffield Wednesday only scored 17 goals last season. Let's beat Brentford, or at least let's believe we can.

COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2015/12/the-tale-of-brentford-eve/?

WhiteJC

Garry Monk to be offered Fulham job after he agrees compensation with Swansea City - reports

Championship side rumoured to be ready to make a move for former Swansea boss

Away-day fans will be subsidised to watch Garry Monk's men

Fulham are ready to offer Garry Monk an immediate route back into football.

The London club, the Telegraph reports, are set to offer 36-year-old Monk the managers job at Craven Cottage, once he has finalised his compensation package from Swansea City.

Fulham appointed the former Sheffield Wednesday ,amager Stuart Gray a senior coach, and he will take charge of the team for their next match, but are still looking to appoint a head coach.

The London side are 16th in the Championship and Monk would be expected to steer them clear of relegation. If Monk was to take the job he would welcome Cardiff City to Craven Cottage in April.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/garry-monk-offered-fulham-job-10588391?

WhiteJC

Brentford v Fulham preview

It will be a tale of two new managers when Fulham take on Arch Rivals Brentford at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

Dean Smith, formerly of Walsall, will experience his first away game as Bees manager tomorrow, while Stuart Gray will be in the Fulham dugout for the first time as senior coach following his appointment earlier this week. Both west London sides started the season very sluggishly, but Brentford certainly seem to have the upper hand ahead of tomorrow's match.

They were on the right side of a 2-0 scoreline when they faced MK Dons last weekend, while Fulham were thrashed 3-0 at the City Ground following an embarrassing performance against Nottingham Forest.

The whites sit in 16th place and have been extremely disappointing recently, not wining since October, and have conceded 13 goals in their last 5 matches. The last affair between the two sides was back in April, and resulted in Brentford going back to Griffin Park with all three points following a historic 1-4 away victory.

A match of this calibre is one of great importance to boost the morale of the both squads, and can also kick start either side's season as they can begin to mount their perhaps unrealistic chase for promotion.

The match is a complete sell out and is one that both sets of historically supporters look forward to when the fixtures are released in mid June.

http://the72.co.uk/41659/brentford-v-fulham-preview/?

WhiteJC

Brentford Tickets

Fulham host local rivals Brentford at Craven Cottage on Saturday, and tickets are still available for fans to purchase.

You can secure your seat online or over the phone up until midday on the day of the game, with tickets priced from just £25 adults and £15 juniors. Please note these prices will rise by £5 on matchday.

Senior Coach Stuart Gray has already spoken of his desire to secure the local bragging rights, so head on down to SW6 as Fulham look to do just that.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/december/11/brentford-tickets?

WhiteJC

Report: Garry Monk to be offered Fulham job following Swansea City axe

Fulham are reportedly planning to offer Garry Monk a job as the club's manager.

The 36-year-old has been out of work for just two days after getting sacked by Swansea City following one win in 11 Premier League matches.

Fulham appointed Stuart Gray as senior coach on Tuesday, but they are still searching for a new manager after parting company with Kit Symons last month.

According to The Telegraph, once Monk's compensation package is agreed with Swansea, Fulham will offer the retired defender the full-time job at Craven Cottage.

Fulham are currently 16th in the Championship table, six points above the relegation zone.

Read more at: https://tr.im/Fw6So

WhiteJC

Smith On Difficult Fulham Test

New head coach Dean Smith has said nobody is underestimating how tough a test Fulham will prove this weekend.

Speaking to the Official Site in his pre game press conference, Smith said that it's obviously a big game for the club and with our allocation for the game (5000) sold out, clearly it shows what it means to the fans.

'It`s a big game for the Club. I believe we`ve sold out our allocation of 5,000 so there`s going to be a really good following there.'

Smith has fond memories of Craven Cottage and he'll be hoping to replicate the performance of his previous visit back in 2006 where as assistant gaffer at Leyton Orient they pulled of a shock in the Cup to take the win.

'Fulham were then a Premier League side. Orient were a League Two team and won 2-1 so I`ve got good memories of that. But we know how difficult this is going to be. The one thing I`ve been stressing to the players is go and play like they did last week, but because it`s a local derby there`s got to be a sense of emotional control, so don`t get carried away with the occasion, but play the game.'

With the festive fixtures now almost on us, he went on to add that it would be a test for the squad but he was confident looking forward.

'We`ve got a very good sports science and medical department here who I can lean on. I can have a good idea about the players and the likely ones who would fatigue. It`s all about the best thing for the football team. We want to get results every game and the way you get them is by performances. If you`ve got fresh players then you`ll get that. We`ll treat each game accordingly and see who`s fit and who`s not.'

Read more: http://www.brentford.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=425451#ixzz3u5mr2MvY

WhiteJC

Fulham away: Smith's first major test as Bees boss

Dean Smith's first major test as Brentford manager comes on Saturday, when his side play away to local rivals Fulham. The 44-year-old experiences a West London derby for the first time and, as if he did not know the significance of the fixture already, the Bees are taking 5,000 fans to Craven Cottage. "No pressure, is there?" he jokes.

If Smith's side can replicate their performance in the 2-0 win against MK Dons last week, the former Walsall boss need not worry. "The performance we got last week fills me with excitement" he says, reflecting on the fact that his side could have scored more than two goals. Smith also praised the defensive aspect of that display: "without the ball we were excellent. That's not just the back five that's started from the front with Lasse {Vibe} and Judgey {Alan Judge} understanding where to be when the ball's on the pitch."

Brentford have conceded 25 goals this season, but they had looked stronger without the ball in Lee Carsley's spell as interim manager. The former Birmingham player got the side pressing higher up the pitch. Asked whether he will continue this pressing game, Smith replied: "when it's right to. People can talk about a high press, a low press a counter-press as often as they like but it's got to be the right time to do it." His response indicated a cautious approach to closing down opposition teams. His Walsall side tended to be compact rather than cavalier and were typically disciplined.

Dean Smith will benefit from the return from injury of talents such as Josh McEachran, John Swift and Jota. "there's a lot of good players to choose from now and that will certainly make my selections a little more difficult, but it's pleasing all the same to have that quality." Jota, in particular, has played just one game this season and when asked about the significance of his return, Smith said: "he did ok when he came on last week, he showed some really good touches. I'm very aware of the talent that is there and that we saw last season, it's my job now to bring that out."

McEachran, on the other hand, is a player whose career had stalled at Chelsea, perhaps due to a lack of commitment. Smith, however, was quick to praise the midfielder's conduct while returning from a four month lay-off: "John has shown that he's more than willing to get the minutes under his belt to be fit and he's shown great attitude and application since I've been here. He wants to get out on the pitch as soon as he can, but he also knows he's got to fight for his place like everybody else in the team."

Having had a "whirlwind" first few days in charge of Brentford, Smith feels he is getting accustomed to life at Griffin Park now: "I've started to get more of a feel for the football club now – I'm getting to know the players a lot more."

Saturday's game will be an important game for Brentford and their new head coach. A derby victory in Dean Smith's second game in charge may not quite see his name become engraved in Bees folklore, but it would galvanize the club and build a sense of momentum at Griffin Park.

http://www.thefootballab.co.uk/2015/fulham-away-smiths-first-major-test-as-bees-boss/?

WhiteJC

3 Manchester City players Fulham should try to sign in January

Despite owner Shahid Khan investing heavily in the playing squad at Fulham over the summer, they have had a disappointing season and they currently find themselves closer to the relegation zone than the play-off places.

A look at the league table shows where the Cottagers need to improve. They've scored 31 goals so far this season, more than anyone else in the division, but they've also conceded a staggering 33.

Despite adding a number of defenders in the summer, Kit Symons ultimately lost his job because of his side's inability to keep clean sheets.

The Cottagers will have one eye on the January transfer window as they may decide that they need reinforcements to turn around their season.

While defence has been a big issue this season, Fulham will also be looking for players in midfield and upfront, particularly if Moussa Dembele moves to one of the many Premier League clubs interested in him.

Fulham could well look to Manchester City for reinforcements as they have a number of talented youngsters and fringe players who could benefit from a move to the Championship.

Here are THREE Manchester City players Fulham should try to sign in January.....

Ellis Plummer

The 21-year-old is very highly-rated at the Etihad and he will hope to get his career back on track, following a disappointing loan spell with Scottish side St. Mirren, where injuries restricted his number of appearances.

Plummer can play at centre-back or at left-back and he would be a versatile option for the Cottagers.

George Evans

20-year-old Evans looks to have a bright future in the game and while he has previously had loan spells with Crewe and Scunthorpe, it is at Walsall were he has excelled.

He scored three goals in six games for the Saddlers and he has caught the eye of a number of clubs higher in the football pyramid.

Although he is more comfortable in central midfield, he is also at home in defensive midfield and at centre-back, so he could be a useful player for Fulham.

The Cottagers are in need of some versatile players that can fill in where needed, in what is a long, arduous Championship season.

Shay Facey

The 20-year-old will return from a loan spell at Manchester City's sister club New York City at the start of January, and Manuel Pellegrini will be keen to get him back out on loan.

While he looks short of being a Premier League starter at the moment, a spell in the Championship could help him massively and his quality could help Fulham.

Capable of playing at right-back or centre-back, a loan move to Craven Cottage could be a good one for a player who is looking to make the next step in his development.

Read more at http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-manchester-city-players-fulham-should-try-to-sign-in-january/?#YjO08p42qXKvmz7H.99

WhiteJC

Can Brentford repeat last season's double six over Fulham?

Today's the day. Brentford visit Fulham with Bees fans hoping for a performance and result even half as good as last season's 4-1 thumping of our neighbours at The Cottage. Coming off the back of Jota's late, late winner at Griffin Park (in the last minute, wasn't it...?) six points and six goals against our nearest and dearest was more than anybody had a right to hope for. But that was then and this is now. So what about today?

I've had some 'interesting' observations (that's the polite word) over the last two columns in regards to my own build up and lack of "A proper assessment of THIS game". Whilst the regular reader will know we concentrate as much on the 'other stuff' that goes with Brentford as we do on previews/reports, if it stops Mr X from crying then here it is:

We'll beat Fulham.

To enlarge upon that, I think that even the most optimistic amongst us would be pushing it to expect the same as last time out. Then again, looking at the facts, why not? Our own last performance, against MK Dons, was one that saw a 2-0 win, the woodwork thumped three times, decent penalty shouts denied, goal line clearances, offside efforts ruled out and the excellent Alan Judge presented with a Claytonesque moment when clean through in the first half. Frankly, it could have been brackets.

Fulham, meanwhile, suffered a 3-0 hammering at the hands of Nottingham Forest and are still looking to replace manager Kit Symons. It's now over a month since he was sacked although Stuart Gray has been named as an interim 'Senior Coach' , whilst the search for a permanent 'head' continues.

"It's no secret that Fulham have the second worst goals conceded record in the League". Those aren't my words but those of the Cottagers own in-house YouTube channel for an interview with Gray.

It's an interesting piece (to be found at the end of this column) and certainly one any Brentford fan looking to get the opposition perspective would do well to watch. If only for some quite blunt questions and some honest answers.

"We do defend with eleven; we do attack with eleven. What we haven't done, we haven't defended set plays very well so this week we've concentrated on showing the players where we're going wrong," said Gray when pushed on the defensive set up of the team.

Likewise, when the club acknowledge that, "Last season's result smarts with a lot of Fulham fans," he is savvy enough to admit that "bragging rights are up for grabs and that's the most important thing."

I take all of this to mean we can expect a very turgid line up and formation from the home side. Priority one will be to avoid defeat and putting eleven men behind the ball will be the way to achieve this. So what about the Bees?

Well, as anybody who bore witness to the MK Dons game will know, when the midfield turns it on we are a force to be reckoned with. Moreso, given the attaking options on the bench presented by the likes of Jota, Andy Gogia and Sam Saunders (did somebody mention defensive frailties from set plays?).

Gray can park the bus all he wants but when the likes of a Jota, Judge, Saunders or Canos are running at you full tilt then not even Chelsea could stop them. Mind you, on current form Chelsea would be doing well to stop a team of pensioners.

Likewise, Josh McEachran and Max Colin are both fit once more. Subject to fitness, I expect Dean Smith to, at least, start with the same team as last weekend . However, the return of Max Colin is the most intriguing one in my eyes. His performance prior to injury marked him out as potential game changer yet, in his absence, Nico Yennaris has done nothing but shine.

It's fair to say that, perhaps unfairly, Nico has had his critics but my hasn't he proven them wrong? At the end of the day (Clive), you don't come through the ranks at Arsenal without being 'any good'. I'm sure he'll be picked again today but the chance for more competition amongst the squad and cover in case of injury can only be a good thing.

Victory for Brentford today would take us to within three points of fifth place, as things currently stand, and nine clear of Fulham. That said, the table is still so tightly packed that, perhaps, Stuart Gray has it right. At least in part.

Bragging rights are up for grab but victory is absolutely key. Personally, I'd take the win above all else. Even if it came by a solitary goal. This time. If we can do it in style, then all the better.

After Marinus departed, Lee Carsley did a fantastic job in getting us to this position. Being honest, a lot of Brentford fans were probably expecting us to be more at the trapdoor end of the table, such was the mood around the place until Lee 'did his thing'.

Following the news that Lee has now moved on himself (as expected at some point) following early completion of the handover to Dean Smith, what better way than to sign off than with a win.

See you at the game .

Nick Bruzon

https://nickbruzonslastword.wordpress.com/2015/12/12/can-brentford-repeat-last-seasons-double-six-over-fulham/?