watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Penalty

Started by Domino1879, December 12, 2015, 05:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarks

The only thing I will add, there was a tackle in the 2nd half by Fredericks in the box. I really thought if Richards tackle was a penalty, then that definitely was. The brentford fans screamed for it, yet the ref didn't give it. For the Richards one I didn't hear anyone appeal.

MJG

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on December 13, 2015, 12:30:44 AM

'If you get the man and the ball in close order you risk giving away a foul or penalty. It isn't a matter of not allowing fair tackles. It is a matter of forcing the referee to make a judgement in real-time'
And this is why Richards gives so many penalties away, he takes the option to tackle and gives the ref a decision to make. He needs to stand up more.

SG

What the picture does show is Richard's poor positioning of his body and bad defending. As the right back he should be side on the other way and tackling with his, presumably stronger, right leg/foot. Tackling with the 'wrong' leg for the right back always means there's a good chance of the attacker going over the outstretched leg/thigh and giving away a foul. Proper defending would have rendered this discussion unnecessary.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: MJG on December 13, 2015, 08:23:19 AM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on December 13, 2015, 12:30:44 AM

'If you get the man and the ball in close order you risk giving away a foul or penalty. It isn't a matter of not allowing fair tackles. It is a matter of forcing the referee to make a judgement in real-time'
And this is why Richards gives so many penalties away, he takes the option to tackle and gives the ref a decision to make. He needs to stand up more.

I am hoping that a good defensive coach like Grey can sort out when and when not to tackle. It should just take a few firm words.

Funky Fulham Dave

:drums:

When the ref awarded the penalty the Fulham's crowd's reaction (certainly at the Hammersmith End) was really unpleasant. Every Fulham fan (me included) thought it was at worst a foul but not in the box. But we were wrong and Mr Coote was correct.

And yet we are still trying to argue otherwise (not me). It was in the box; a tackle from behind that caught the player. That's a penalty.

We should face up to the fact that it's not the official's decisions that are at fault rather than what is laughably known as the Fulham defence what's the problem.

049:gif

Jims Dentist

Richards is a defensive liability.

Lighthouse

If we had been given the penalty there isn't one person who wouldn't think we were fortunate. The player didn't appeal because he didn't think he was fouled.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Peabody

Where I sit in the Riverside, we had probably the best view and initial thought, now confirmed that it was a pen unfortunately.

Last live game until after Christmas and I found it a very entertaining game, so, maybe just maybe the good times are returning.

F(f)CUK

Quote from: Funky Fulham Dave on December 13, 2015, 12:24:12 PM
:drums:

When the ref awarded the penalty the Fulham's crowd's reaction (certainly at the Hammersmith End) was really unpleasant. Every Fulham fan (me included) thought it was at worst a foul but not in the box. But we were wrong and Mr Coote was correct.

And yet we are still trying to argue otherwise (not me). It was in the box; a tackle from behind that caught the player. That's a penalty.

We should face up to the fact that it's not the official's decisions that are at fault rather than what is laughably known as the Fulham defence what's the problem.

049:gif
i still believe that the supporters in the Hammersmith End had a better view than the ref.

RaySmith

Easy to criticise Richards, and I'm not saying that he wasn't at fault at all, but it can be difficult to apply the coaching manual in the heat of the moment, when you're desperately trying to defend your goal.

If the defender has to make a last ditch tackle, that can mean that someone else in the team was at fault for not clearing the danger earlier.

It's easy to get caught out of position because you can be covering someone else's error.

Can anyone here here's played in defence say that they've never made a rash challenge in the heat of the moment to try to prevent a goal?

To me it looked a soft pen anyway - but then I come from a different era.

MJG

Quote from: RaySmith on December 13, 2015, 08:07:51 PM
Easy to criticise Richards, and I'm not saying that he wasn't at fault at all, but it can be difficult to apply the coaching manual in the heat of the moment, when you're desperately trying to defend your goal.

If the defender has to make a last ditch tackle, that can mean that someone else in the team was at fault for not clearing the danger earlier.

It's easy to get caught out of position because you can be covering someone else's error.

Can anyone here here's played in defence say that they've never made a rash challenge in the heat of the moment to try to prevent a goal?

To me it looked a soft pen anyway - but then I come from a different era.
I could accept that view...but since he first arrived how many penalties has he given away ...four or five?  He's too rash or on wrong side of player

One Martin Thomas

Richards has a penalty in him in every match he plays.  He's got to learn not to dive in when the opposition are not in a very dangerous position. 

RaySmith

He was stretched- the player would have gone past him and has a at shot goal, if he hadn't put his foot out, which didn't look like a foul to me anyway.

As I said, it's easy to criticise something that happens in the heat of the moment in a game, when you are desperate not to concede a goal.

One Martin Thomas

Quote from: RaySmith on December 13, 2015, 10:17:24 PM
He was stretched- the player would have gone past him and has a at shot goal, if he hadn't put his foot out, which didn't look like a foul to me anyway.

As I said, it's easy to criticise something that happens in the heat of the moment in a game, when you are desperate not to concede a goal.

Shot at goal from that angle ??  Picture on page 1 of this thread shows that not only we had a covering defender, but that if he had gone for goal, it would have been a miracle... 

Paid enough not to react in the heat of the moment and think with his brain; he's an international defender going to the EUROS !!  Richards stock in the Championship should be a lot higher.

MJG

Quote from: RaySmith on December 13, 2015, 10:17:24 PM

I would disagree, he was with the player and if he had kept on his feet he could have blocked it by time he got to byline, also Fredericks was coming in to help. penalties follow him around.

RaySmith

But he's still a human-being not a programmed robot. Football is all about instinctive reactions, especially around the area, and sometimes they can be the wrong reactions.

The player was in a dangerous position to just let him go past - you don't know that the covering defender would have stopped him from shooting, which  could have caused danger  even if not scoring,  or making a cross.

But my point was not that Richards wasn't in the wrong, but that we are often to quick to  jump  on players for errors - when all players make  errors, no matter how much they are paid.

I don't think it was a pen anyway. If a pen wasn't given  people would be praising Richards for his intervention in breaking up an attack.

Domino1879

Last word from me on this topic.
Sitting in H5 about 20 rows back, I was convinced it was outside the area AND he got the ball.
I accept that in the speed of events the tackle was made inside but I still think it was a fair tackle.  The ref has to be 100% confident to give a pen, and to me he was far too quick to award it.  Agree Richards can be a bit rash at times, and it's easy to say say he should not have made the challenge, but as I say above imo he got the ball on this occasion.  Can't remember if he was even booked.

The Enclosurite

My first thought in real time was that it was outside the box.  From reviewing, it is clearly inside the box, a very soft penalty though and I'm not convinced that every ref would have called it.
¡COYW!

MJG

IF it had been Cairney being tackled/fouled and we didnt get the penalty most would be up in arms for the ref not giving it.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: MJG on December 14, 2015, 07:25:01 AM
IF it had been Cairney being tackled/fouled and we didnt get the penalty most would be up in arms for the ref not giving it.

And therein lies one of our problems, our players don't drive into the box as much as other teams do and give the opposition an option to lunge in or not!

We may be scoring plenty of goals but the pressure the above situations deliver may also reduce the pressure off our defence.