News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

"Gentleman" Jim McGullion, Fulham's one saving glory!

Started by Nick Bateman, December 21, 2015, 03:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

Fulham have on their books the very best in one department, that being our website commentator "Gentleman" Jim McGullion.

His vocal orations are the finest, full of passion and emotion, attempting to appreciate both teams while allowing his genuine loyalty to our cause to come through.

Jim is not afraid to challenge the status quo which other radio outlets follow as he constantly criticises the referees for the inept decisions they are invariably making.  He also slates players for 'diving' or "looking for it", something which has spoiled our game over recent years.

If I cannot get to see Fulham I find Gentleman Jim's commentary the next best thing, making even dull matches sound exciting.  His co-commentator Sean Davis I also like his frankness and he is a good counter-foil for Jim rather like the straight man in a comedy duo, but it is always Jim who steals the show.

Let us hope in this era of upheaval in Fulham history we never feel the need to replace the brilliant, earthy, loquacious Gentleman Jim.   082.gif

PS:  If one does not know the nickname "Gentleman Jim" came from a bareknuckle heavyweight champion boxer who was anything but 'gentlemanly' so a nice play on words!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Alexis

Can't disagree with any of the points. Now that doesn't happen too often. Gentleman Jim for team talks?
Fulham 来了!

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

On Saturday, an old favorite when the ball hit the referee "Get out of the way you clown"
The highlight for me was his almost 'maniacal laughter' when Ross scored

Great stuff, he starts the weekend off on Saturday mornings (over here) and is a nice
break from the norm when we have midweek games.

Great stuff

BTW: Did one of his relatives win a world boxing title some 100 years ago ?
         Did he also have a puppet called Sooty ?
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Wimbledon_White

Nick Bateman

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on December 21, 2015, 03:50:11 PM
On Saturday, an old favorite when the ball hit the referee "Get out of the way you clown"
The highlight for me was his almost 'maniacal laughter' when Ross scored

Great moments from last weekend, he slaughtered the inept official and his maniacal laughter as you perfectly put Roger conveyed all listening Fulham fans' joy!

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on December 21, 2015, 03:53:16 PM
Did you swallow a thesaurus today Nick?

Only a mince pie today, Wimbledon.

grandad

For those of us who live abroad & can rarely get over to see live games GJ is our life blood. Listening to him is akin to sitting next to ones best mate at the match.

Together with GJ is Russ Goldman & his Cottage Talk Blog Radio programmes. These shows are a must for all Fulham fans. Russ & his co-presenters put a huge amount of unpaid time into these shows & deserve our grateful thanks.
Where there's a will there's a wife

clarkey

Jim is simply brilliant, his comm is top drawer....and to tell you the truth I used to like Diddy wandering onto the pitch and getting those kids to shoot through the tyre.

It's the characters that make Fulham what it is...bring back the salted peanuts at a tanner a bag, and Ken Coton's photo's.Remember Johnny the Flick and Johnny the Kick ?

Logicalman

Quote from: Nick Bateman on December 21, 2015, 03:12:24 PM
Fulham have on their books the very best in one department, that being our website commentator "Gentleman" Jim McGullion.

His vocal orations are the finest, full of passion and emotion, attempting to appreciate both teams while allowing his genuine loyalty to our cause to come through.

Jim is not afraid to challenge the status quo which other radio outlets follow as he constantly criticises the referees for the inept decisions they are invariably making.  He also slates players for 'diving' or "looking for it", something which has spoiled our game over recent years.

If I cannot get to see Fulham I find Gentleman Jim's commentary the next best thing, making even dull matches sound exciting.  His co-commentator Sean Davis I also like his frankness and he is a good counter-foil for Jim rather like the straight man in a comedy duo, but it is always Jim who steals the show.

Let us hope in this era of upheaval in Fulham history we never feel the need to replace the brilliant, earthy, loquacious Gentleman Jim.   082.gif

PS:  If one does not know the nickname "Gentleman Jim" came from a bareknuckle heavyweight champion boxer who was anything but 'gentlemanly' so a nice play on words!

Excellently put, as usual, Nick. One of the characters that will go down, if not already, in Fulham FC lore, much akin to Diddy and the green pole.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

colinwhite

Nick Bateman

Steven Ageroad

Quote from: Brawn on December 21, 2015, 05:38:26 PM
For anyone who's interested, I do compilations of him per month:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhg7CLKfBbXz691pX_ShuTYhk5Gyn6VJW

As mentioned great stuff Brawn, had me laughing  with tears in my eyes.  On Saturday I thought he wanted to say more than " Get out off the way you clown " but his professionalism shone through. Gentleman Jim certainly wears his heart on his sleeve as far as FFC are concerned.

Neil D

His vocal orations are the finest,
Without wishing to appear overly critical at this time of universal bonhomie, could I point out that orations are invariably 'vocal' and, thus, its use here is a tautology?

Nick Bateman

Quote from: Neil D on December 21, 2015, 06:26:18 PM

His vocal orations are the finest,
Without wishing to appear overly critical at this time of universal bonhomie, could I point out that orations are invariably 'vocal' and, thus, its use here is a tautology?

Excellent Neil.  Good to see fellow Fulham fans knowledgeable of vocabulary syntax.

Nick Bateman

Going back to what Roger remembered, "Get out the way you clown!" are words which should be immortalised.

When we listeners finally knew what had transpired, apparently Fulham were making a counter-attack and one of our through passes hit the referee on the bum, I was laughing in hysterics.  Priceless commentary from Gentleman Jim.

love4ffc

Without GJ I'd be lost.  Can't give him enough praise.   :Haynes The Maestro:
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

ron

GJ is much better alone than when he has Sean to gossip to. Once they start on a subject, the game seems to take second place to it, and we get periods of not knowing what's going on.

Nick Bateman

That may be true Ron but sometimes the 'foil' as Davis is, is a good contrast and hearing their honest opinions of Fulham, the manager, the referee are entertaining.

FC Silver Fox

I had the pleasure and privilege of meeting and chatting to  both Gentleman Jim and Sean Davis a couple of weeks ago, before the Preston game. They are both as fascinating and interesting as in the commentaries. We discussed the team sheet with Jim as he'd just been given it and Sean wanted to know how Steed was doing down here in Lyon.  I took them over a couple of bars of French chocolate to help keep out the cold. A very big thank you to Mikey for setting up these chats.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Brawn