more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham: Some Thoughts

Started by valdeingruo, December 22, 2015, 03:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valdeingruo

Fulham: Some thoughts.

The past few weeks have not been a fun time as a supporter of Fulham Football club, was this a self-inflicted wound? You could say so, but everything the club does can influence the outcome in good and bad ways.

On Kit's dismissal:

The Club stated its ambitions were to regain Premiership status. This was only half way completed. A squad of players was assembled that under the right tutelage that could push the stated objective. By no means am I underestimating Kit's work for this club. He is a Fulham man through and through, he did what he was required to do, stabilize us after a turbulent time and he kept us up. However he should have asked to step down during the summer.

The timing made sense, if there was any time to replace a manager before the window, this was the time to do it. Should a new manager have been put in place almost instantly? Of course and if you watch the video, Mr. Rigg stated had he had hoped to have a new manager in shortly. Very few of us have the privilege of inside information on where this is going and what is holding up a replacement and those that do are obviously going to keep things quiet.

Length of time for replacement:

We will be appointing our fifth manager since Mr. Khan took over, obviously the turnover is not something that will not help with stability.  It is paramount we get this next appointment right. It must be an overwhelmingly positive one to match the stated desire of a return to the Premier League. It is unlikely to happen this season, but whomever it is must have the confidence of the players, board and of the supporters. If we suffer in the short term to put in place a long term strategy, it is a necessary sacrifice.

Mr. Gray:
His defensive record is good, however some of the decisions that have been made during the match has been puzzling. I suppose a man who would like to training over one who is not too keen is a good thing. Many Sheffield supporters speak highly of him so let's hope this appointment is a good one.

Mr. Rigg:
I really can't say anything on my end other than speculation, but he came to the club with a good reputation and our transfers seemed to have a defined purpose after his arrival, but again speculation. If he is indeed in charge of this next appointment, it will be one of the defining moment of his Fulham career.

Ali Mac:
Seems to have fallen off the map in the scheme of things. I do believe that was the point. This allows him to concentrate of the money side of things. With the stand redevelopment still going ahead, he has an important part to play in the long term development of the club.

The Chairman:
There are supporters who claim the Chairman has no knowledge of the game, and you'd be right. He has made his billions by putting a plan in place and trusting those under him. That is what he has done. If we were successful and climbing up the ladder it would be a non-issue. He is essentially the parent who gives his child an allowance and allows them to spend it how they like. Most of our current situation fall on the men already mentioned, so their jobs should be under review. Mr. Khan is liable to some extent, but he has been badly advised.

The players:
We have the players with the ability, we have the best offensive record in the league, and we also have one of the worse. Ross McCormack superb ability has bailed us out constantly this past month. Ultimately the buck stops with the players. The drive is there, a few good results could do wonders.

Supporters:
We are frustrated and have a right to be. The decline has been swift. Getting used to seeing our club in the top division for over a decade. Our fan base is diverse and has varying histories. That's what makes supporting a club special. Some of our supporters can vividly remember Haynes, Leggat, Hill and others play. Others know Boa Morte and McBride. We all want what's best for our club and have varying opinions on how we should go about things. We are sticking it out, it's absurd but the downs make the ups worth it even more. In a dream world we will turn the corner, wake up and be top of the league. It's unlikely, but then again look at Leicester.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

e4b

As always from you an interesting and well thought out post. Thanks andersons11.

colinwhite

A good post . I agree with alot of your points but I think the squad will need to be addressed if  we are going to get   back to the premier league. Its not so much the individual abililty of some of the players that we signed. But all the players stats may have looked good ,and I can understand that that would have been im portant to mr Rigg, but they all came  from sides beneath us in the table (or nearby), and with the losing habit . Add to this that we lack balance ,with no adequate defensive midfield options , 2 centre halfs in stearman and Ream who are both decent but not strong enough physically without a strong man beside them , full backs who cant defend and only one forward player with real pace, and you start to see the inadequacies of mr riggs football knowledge .Even Ross is a great player but cant play as a lone striker , and Smith is a decent sub ,but we become one dimensional when he plays . Whatever side we put out has major flaws and in all honesty there is no given starting eleven .
Rigg is a theorist and statistician which is all well and good but the assembled squad has major weaknesses which I would suggest are probably down to his own lack of football nouse . The idea that we have one of the best squads in the league is nonsense and the fact that we are top scorers in the division doesnt say much as ultimately its the goals conceded column which decides which sides that get to the promised land. Our goal prowess only adds to the frustration and is frankly misleading .

xma2

valdeingruo

E4b, thanks for the kind words.

Colin, I quite agree with your post in regards to the players and Rigg.

I think we have a few players who could make the step up. Ross and Dembele have the ability. O Hara, Kacaniclic(when putting forth the effort)  Fredricks and Stearman have the potential to make the step up. I am sure there are others in our squad who could as well.

We are calling out for a roy type manager. He did not have a purpose built squad. He had a squad put together made up of players who others deemed finished and others no one had heard of. He gave them a purpose.

Let's hope this next manager can be more Roy and less Magath.

NorfolkJim

Good post

That the club tried to hire Clarke as the replacement for Kit is what really troubles me. It's not that I have anything bad to say about Clarke but imo he did not fit the description of a manager who I could anticipate would be likely take us up. If anything it smacked of mid table mediocrity which isn't what I'd expect from our owner if he really meant what he said

alfie

Quote from: NorfolkJim on December 22, 2015, 12:51:48 PM
Good post

That the club tried to hire Clarke as the replacement for Kit is what really troubles me. It's not that I have anything bad to say about Clarke but imo he did not fit the description of a manager who I could anticipate would be likely take us up. If anything it smacked of mid table mediocrity which isn't what I'd expect from our owner if he really meant what he said
All businesses face the same sort of problem with a new employee, you have no idea how he/she will perform until they actually do the job, any manager/coach we get in may or may not be successfull.

Lots of people blamed the club for selecting certain managers, but at the time they like us would expect and hope that the person selected can do the job, it is always after  that we find out whether they can/can't.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Logicalman

Another great post andersons11, well thought out, succinctly put and placing responsibility where it deserves to be. Hard to disagree with any of it, and gives good food for thought.

Again, great contribution to the board.  :54:

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

WayneKerrins

On one specific surely Ally's position is untenable if we've breached FFP. He and the club have been consistent that wouldn't nor indeed would want to.
As you say Khan has set the FFP compliant budget but Mackintosh looks like breaching it including a huge splurge on Ross.
How can he survive if Khan believes in accountability?

valdeingruo

Quote from: WayneKerrins on December 23, 2015, 01:07:02 AM
On one specific surely Ally's position is untenable if we've breached FFP. He and the club have been consistent that wouldn't nor indeed would want to.
As you say Khan has set the FFP compliant budget but Mackintosh looks like breaching it including a huge splurge on Ross.
How can he survive if Khan believes in accountability?

I quite agree with this. This is a big season for Ali Mac and Rigg aswell.

nose

I do not hold the squad is that brilliant, neither do I think the purchases apparently made by Rigg have vastly, if at all improved us.

That said the biggest issue is that since the takeover by Mr Khan the errors made by the board in which AM still resides and Mr Rigg were and continue to be massively avoidable. Chjanging Jol late, sacking rene early, Magath at any time and the ridiculous state we are in now, not to mention mitroglu, selling the first team squad not getting Ruiz's paperwork done properly (I entirely hold our team responsible because it was in our interest to ensure it happened!) is 100% down to our board and latterly Mr Rigg.

Getting any manager is always a gamble but not getting one and remaining in such limbo is close to suicidal. We have Curbs, a seasoned and experienced pro at every game so if our first choice fell through it would have made eminent sense to ask him to take over as interim manager and if that seemed to work, let him at least see out the season. Too simple? I should say so.

The frustration is more like total exasperation because the errors are quite so staggeringly unnecessary.

There are no good outcomes for a team that was in the prem two seasons agio that had to fight off relegation last season and seemingly just a few points from the drop zone hal;f way through this season. two years ago we were watching liverpool chelsea man utd, and if rene would not have been sacked we probably still would be. The board are massively culpable for such poor management, I see no evidence of any long term planning, the new appointment when he arrives, sorry if he arrives, better be good.

Happy Christmas.

valdeingruo

Nose, I am whole heatedly with you on your addition.

I fully expect big changes this summer, if indeed the goal is promotion.

YankeeJim

Well thought out and an excellent read.

Is it true that Andersons11 is the non de plume for one secretive individual know as Coastie?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

nose

Quote from: andersons11 on December 23, 2015, 06:59:38 PM

I do hope your expectation is met. I would start now because why wait, rebuilding needs immediate attention. but hey ho.

valdeingruo

Quote from: nose on December 23, 2015, 11:09:06 PM

I do hope your expectation is met. I would start now because why wait, rebuilding needs immediate attention. but hey ho.
Starting now would be ideal but risky. Particularly now that we have violated ffp.

nose

Quote from: andersons11 on December 24, 2015, 10:21:33 AM

Starting now would be ideal but risky. Particularly now that we have violated ffp.

It's nearly christmas  but I come from the school of thought that says, act immediately, it is in the long run less risky than letting the current bunch remain to do more damage. It would also show leadership and intent from Mr Khan which many of us think is lacking. I think the FFP issue really focuses on how if we knew we were ovrspending and still got no posditive result we have the unfortunate double whammy. 

Just my opinion, betetr to do something than nothing and we are effectively doing nothing

Interesting  OP and may i wish you seasons greetings, let's hope the team picks up a bit soon.

valdeingruo

Quote from: nose on December 24, 2015, 10:36:51 AM
Quote from: andersons11 on December 24, 2015, 10:21:33 AM

It's nearly christmas  but I come from the school of thought that says, act immediately, it is in the long run less risky than letting the current bunch remain to do more damage. It would also show leadership and intent from Mr Khan which many of us think is lacking. I think the FFP issue really focuses on how if we knew we were ovrspending and still got no posditive result we have the unfortunate double whammy. 

Just my opinion, betetr to do something than nothing and we are effectively doing nothing

Interesting  OP and may i wish you seasons greetings, let's hope the team picks up a bit soon.

You know, I'm starting to agree with you more. Particularly as I'm in the "should have let Jol/Kit go in their respective summer camp" along with taking too long with Magath.

I hope your holiday period is a merry one as well.