more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is our owner a complete numpty??

Started by davew, December 24, 2015, 05:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carborundum

Quote from: Alexis on December 26, 2015, 02:20:44 AM
Having a billionaire owner is nice. Just imagine he meltdown if he leaves today.

Well put.  Mr Khan has splashed as much cash as football league rules allow and, to his likely annoyance, it turns out he has splashed even more.  Every one of his decisions has seemed to me, at the time of its making, within the bandwidth of what is sensible and expected to benefit the club.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing, not all of them have turned out well.  We all have views on those decisions, but at time of making the decisions, there seemed a logic behind them.

clarkey

This is such a sad thread.

Sad because some posts seem to think that someone who can make $8billion is by definition intelligent and right to run FFC. As everyone knows there are different types of intelligence. I would encourage everyone to watch that video that the thread started with.
Think about the issues it raises...not that FFC is a win at all costs club, but that it has a heart, a passion and and a sense of humour.

Think about the sensitivity to people's views, the creation of a FFC community, and the warmth we want our club to have. MAF somehow through his eccentric and "outsider" behaviour managed to embrace that, and build on Fulhamish values. We loved the fact he didn't have a passport, and was mad enough to build that dreadful statue. He was a one off.

We are currently staring at a bunch of incompetents, who have left us looking financially  inept and on the field completely without ambition, effort or nouse. But worse they have done all this without talking properly to the Fulham community, we really don't know our owner at all. There is a vacuum at the heart of the club. And he has surrounded himself with characters like the competely unlikeable Rigg.

What's worse is that there are fans around who seem to want to reject the values of this club. Frankly real FFC fans don't care if we are in the top ten in the Premiership or not, we just want someone to show some decent values and a level of care and passion commensurate with what we put in. And not behave without those core values - we all know how they handled the threat of relegation from the Prem was chaotic and ended in failure. We know how long they took to react and figure out how wrong it was going. Why is it such a surprise that everything since then has been the same.

davew

Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

H4usuallysitting

I know about the bad old days.....in the past I've stood in the Cottage with around 400 other supporter's watching the club fall apart......but this time around it's different.....it's almost like we've lost the club

The Old Count

Quote from: Arthur on December 26, 2015, 12:31:15 AM
Quote from: The Old Count on December 25, 2015, 10:51:44 AM
MAF made the time to engage with knowledgeable people in the game such as Cantona, O'Neil and Franco Barresi.  He made the effort to fill the gaps in his knowledge.
Nothing from Mr Khan suggests that he has done the same thing.

Indeed, Al Fayed met these people. He met them to offer them roles within the Club. There is nothing to suggest, however, that he took the opportunity to 'fill gaps in his knowledge'. On the rare occasions that I saw our previous Chairman interviewed live on television by Sky or the BBC, he never, in my opinion, came across as having anything other than the most rudimentary understanding of football matters on the field of play.

I do agree, nonetheless, that it is not apparent that Khan has a significantly greater appreciation of football's finer points than he did when he first acquired the Club.
MAF might have had a 'rudimentry understanding of football matters on the field' but he could find someone who did in a few minutes. 
It seems that Mr Khan has not been able to do that in two and a half years.

Peabody

Now here's the thing, as he is, to use your words, a numpty, contact him and make a ridiculous offer, say ten bob, for the club, good figure, because, according to some, that's all it's worth and being a numpty, he will accept and bobs your uncle, your the new owner and can run the club how you want.

davew

Quote from: Peabody on December 26, 2015, 10:50:47 AM
Now here's the thing, as he is, to use your words, a numpty, contact him and make a ridiculous offer, say ten bob, for the club, good figure, because, according to some, that's all it's worth and being a numpty, he will accept and bobs your uncle, your the new owner and can run the club how you want.
Sounds a very good idea!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: clarkey on December 26, 2015, 10:18:26 AM

Sad because some posts seem to think that someone who can make $8billion is by definition intelligent and right to run FFC. As everyone knows there are different types of intelligence. I would encourage everyone to watch that video that the thread started with.
Think about the issues it raises...not that FFC is a win at all costs club, but that it has a heart, a passion and and a sense of humour.

Think about the sensitivity to people's views, the creation of a FFC community, and the warmth we want our club to have. MAF somehow through his eccentric and "outsider" behaviour managed to embrace that, and build on Fulhamish values. We loved the fact he didn't have a passport, and was mad enough to build that dreadful statue. He was a one off.

We are currently staring at a bunch of incompetents, who have left us looking financially  inept and on the field completely without ambition, effort or nouse. But worse they have done all this without talking properly to the Fulham community, we really don't know our owner at all. There is a vacuum at the heart of the club. And he has surrounded himself with characters like the competely unlikeable Rigg.

What's worse is that there are fans around who seem to want to reject the values of this club. Frankly real FFC fans don't care if we are in the top ten in the Premiership or not, we just want someone to show some decent values and a level of care and passion commensurate with what we put in. And not behave without those core values - we all know how they handled the threat of relegation from the Prem was chaotic and ended in failure. We know how long they took to react and figure out how wrong it was going. Why is it such a surprise that everything since then has been the same.

Well said !

Sums my feelings up nicely.

RaySmith

So who should own Fulham? MAF, who did so much for the club, decided to sell it. And it's foreign owners who tend to buy clubs these days.

We have to be owned by someone, unless fans get together to buy the club, and thus it will embody the  values which Clarkey speaks about, though he doesn't really define them -only being an outsider, and not wanting to be in the Prem.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Peabody on December 26, 2015, 10:50:47 AM

I don't imagine he's a "numpty" but I will contact his PR man with an offer and let you know if I get a positive reply.

Skatzoffc

Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Arthur

I have no idea how many relegation seasons you have experienced, but I've seen six in my time and they have all been chaotic. I've never known relegation to be an orderly affair; such seasons are invariably punctuated with 'if only's' and 'what if's' and played out against a backdrop of rising panic as games slip away and fortunes fail to change.

Your call, moreover, for a 'level of care' - which you (oddly) choose to exemplify by lamenting the Club's inability to prevent our most recent relegation - surely contradicts your assertion that it matters not in which league we find ourselves. 'We know how long they took to react' you remind us, implying that it was too long. Yet we sacked a manager after 13 games and another at 26 games; few chairman dismiss two managers so soon after taking over a club.

To claim, further, that MAF was liked because he was a character is a red herring. He was liked, first and foremost, because the Club was successful under his chairmanship. The statue, which you would have us believe endeared him to supporters, was loathed by many and irrelevant to the rest of us. I doubt that any supporter's affection towards MAF was greater owing to this particular act of eccentricity.

Most fallaciously of all, in my opinion, you deny that anyone who cares that we are no longer a PL club is a 'real' fan. I doubt that this remark can be justified successfully; it is even more spurious than your reasons for insisting that Khan doesn't care (he may or he may not, but having said that it's about 'core values', not success, your supposed arguments fail to separate the two.)

It might help if there were a video to watch. In keeping with the general confusion, I find that the O.P. makes no reference to one.

Logicalman

Quote from: davew on December 24, 2015, 05:08:51 PM
Another nail in our coffin today with the transfer embargo......

I seem to have read, possibly elsewhere, that this was not something that has it's origins solely since Khan took the reigns, but had something to do with the players present at the sale as well. Not that I can fully understand all the goings on with FFP, and likely never will, but if someone could explain how this has come about then it would be appreciated.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

So, was Kit one of those 'incompetents' decisions? Personally, I thought his appointment was more in line with the Fulham values that you rightly speak of.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Logicalman on December 28, 2015, 01:19:02 PM
Quote from: davew on December 24, 2015, 05:08:51 PM
Another nail in our coffin today with the transfer embargo......

I seem to have read, possibly elsewhere, that this was not something that has it's origins solely since Khan took the reigns, but had something to do with the players present at the sale as well. Not that I can fully understand all the goings on with FFP, and likely never will, but if someone could explain how this has come about then it would be appreciated.

I think that all that was being referred to was that we had an aging squad on PL wages and probably wages that were on the generous end of the scale for a club of our size. The problems being that we would have difficulty reducing the wage bill to meet Championship FFP requirements plus we would have to replace the aging players with the costs also counting against FFP.

Blanco

We are currently staring at a bunch of incompetents, who have left us looking financially  inept and on the field completely without ambition, effort or nouse. But worse they have done all this without talking properly to the Fulham community, we really don't know our owner at all. There is a vacuum at the heart of the club. And he has surrounded himself with characters like the competely unlikeable Rigg.

So I'm not a "real fan" because I want Fulham to be in the top ten of the Prem and be like Watford or Palace? No, it's better to be "nice" with good values and sit in the conference.

RPhillips

Oh, joy. My Holiday season wouldn't have been complete without yet another self-appointed custodian of All Things FFC telling one and all what constitutes a "real FFC fan".