more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Words from Shad

Started by Ordar, December 28, 2015, 01:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ordar

Excellent article on the official site from Shad. A really good read

Greetings to Fulham supporters everywhere and it certainly is my hope that you are still enjoying the Christmas and holiday season with friends and family. And with 2016 just a few days away, I think we have good reason to express warm wishes for the New Year with Slavisa Jokanovic as our new First Team Head Coach.

Before we get to Slavisa's appointment, however, let's talk about something more important, and that's the somber news we received earlier this month upon the passing of the legendary Jimmy Hill at the age of 87.

My time at Fulham has been brief, so with each passing week I am admittedly continuing to learn more about the legacy and traditions of the Club. But since my arrival in July 2013, there have been a few names that have made an immediate and lasting impact. Jimmy Hill was one of those names.

This isn't to say I currently - or will ever be - able to fully appreciate everything that Jimmy accomplished here, or what he means to the lore and history of Fulham Football Club. But, I believe I do understand how much Jimmy means to you. I've heard from many supporters over the past several weeks as our search for a new head coach continued, and many of you took the opportunity to also offer thoughts or memories of Jimmy, both as a player and as a builder of the Club.

Many of your recollections of Jimmy are priceless and timeless. I thank you for them and hope that you will find our tribute to Jimmy tomorrow evening, from the features in the official programme to the pre-match ceremony, to be respectful of his countless contributions to Fulham and the game of football in England.

As I noted yesterday, I'm now extremely proud to announce that Slavisa has accepted our offer to join Fulham and accept the challenge and opportunity that will come in leading our First Team. Slavisa is in London tomorrow and will begin to fully acclimate himself with the Club in the days ahead, but be assured that he's already very much attuned to our situation.

To say that Slavisa came prepared during the interview process would be an understatement. His analysis of our Club was impressive and his ideas were just what we wanted to hear. I'm confident that Slavisa will reverse our fortunes and bring to Fulham a winning mindset through the second half of the season and beyond.

I think it's important to point out that Slavisa emerged from an extremely impressive pool of candidates, some of whom became available or expressed their interest to us during the days and weeks that followed our decision to make a change on 8th November. This wasn't totally unexpected when you consider the attraction of Fulham, but it's safe to say that our shortlist of candidates grew immediately, as well as over time.

While Slavisa was someone we were interested in from the start, we had an obligation, in my opinion, to fully explore our options. This took time, and probably a bit more than any of us would have preferred, but with each day that passed and every deliberation we made, we got closer and closer to making the right call on Slavisa Jokanovic. And that's more important than anything.

I also want to note that Slavisa was someone who was beloved and respected by Maccabi Tel Aviv, his former club, and therefore required a great deal of effort on our part to arrange for his release. And when you consider that he was likely the target of other clubs who may have been contemplating a change, we are particularly fortunate to welcome him to Fulham.

In the end, all we need to remember is Slavisa has promoted a club from the Championship to the Premier League and has managed sides at the highest level of football. In other words, Slavisa is exactly the Head Coach we need.

And speaking of head coach – I believe the term 'head coach' has been misunderstood, though not by Slavisa nor nearly every one of the other candidates we interviewed. Slavisa avidly embraces the concept of head coach, which is to be on the pitch, training, organising, planning and everything that comes in preparing for and leading the Club on matchday.

This doesn't mean he will have no say in player selection – he most certainly will, working with Chief Football Officer Mike Rigg and his staff to ensure the best we possibly can that Fulham will field a squad that Slavisa feels he needs to win. The concept of head coach simply means being hyperfocused on the pitch and team performance. But please be assured, Slavisa will collaborate closely with Mike and his staff as anyone would under the classic definition of manager. That was always the plan for whomever won the job, and I know that Slavisa and Mike will mesh well as we turn the page on 2015.

I do want to salute the work by Peter Grant and Stuart Gray in their caretaker roles while we brought this process to a close. There was much more to their body of work than may meet your eye. While collecting a few points, we were able to take a closer look at various players and line-ups and probably know our Club's potential and areas of need a bit better today than we did several months ago. I thank Peter and Stuart for keeping us together for the transition ahead.

Tomorrow night, therefore, is an occasion for you to celebrate our past in Jimmy Hill and future in Slavisa Jokanovic. For me, it's an opportunity to thank you for your patience and ask for your trust. I promise that no-one wants to deliver a winner to Fulham supporters more than I do. That's why we have Slavisa Jokanovic in the fold. Brighter days are ahead.

Come On You Whites!

Ordar

My favourite part was

"To say that Slavisa came prepared during the interview process would be an understatement. His analysis of our Club was impressive"

Really a brilliant thing to read

Robbie

alfie

Of course we can expect a comment that he did not write or even think those words, it's all spin
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Logicalman

Good read, and puts to rest the involvement of "Rigg & his staff"

I have to admit, I am a little concerned with the manner in which this has been put ..

"And speaking of head coach – I believe the term 'head coach' has been misunderstood, though not by Slavisa nor nearly every one of the other candidates we interviewed. Slavisa avidly embraces the concept of head coach, which is to be on the pitch, training, organising, planning and everything that comes in preparing for and leading the Club on matchday.
This doesn't mean he will have no say in player selection – he most certainly will, working with Chief Football Officer Mike Rigg and his staff to ensure the best we possibly can that Fulham will field a squad that Slavisa feels he needs to win. The concept of head coach simply means being hyperfocused on the pitch and team performance. But please be assured, Slavisa will collaborate closely with Mike and his staff as anyone would under the classic definition of manager. That was always the plan for whomever won the job, and I know that Slavisa and Mike will mesh well as we turn the page on 2015.
" ...

simply because, even though I have no insider or personal knowledge as the Rigs managerial ability at team level, his cv doesn't, imho, support his abilities at that level for the games being played. I would have little doubt he would be guided by the opinion of the "head Coach", but I would be interested as to how much someone like Roy was hindered, or otherwise, by such a person.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

nose

I thought it was the best article wriiten under our owner's name.

I remain very uneasy that Mike Rigg and AM seem to be 'getting away with it.' Their errors are many, let's see what the new year brings.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Logicalman on December 28, 2015, 01:37:10 PM

I have to admit, I am a little concerned with the manner in which this has been put ..

"And speaking of head coach – I believe the term 'head coach' has been misunderstood, though not by Slavisa nor nearly every one of the other candidates we interviewed. Slavisa avidly embraces the concept of head coach, which is to be on the pitch, training, organising, planning and everything that comes in preparing for and leading the Club on matchday.
" ...

simply because, even though I have no insider or personal knowledge as the Rigs managerial ability at team level, his cv doesn't, imho, support his abilities at that level for the games being played. I would have little doubt he would be guided by the opinion of the "head Coach", but I would be interested as to how much someone like Roy was hindered, or otherwise, by such a person.

That bit put me to worrying as well. My "give them the benefit of the doubt" nature led me to believe that Mr. Khan was speaking to player recruitment and not game day selection. I may be naïve but, I just can't see any self respecting manager/head coach accepting a position where he does not have control over and responsibility for match day player selection.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

fulhamben

I keep forgetting about jimmy's tribute. Is it pay on the door tomorrow?
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

SG

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 28, 2015, 01:45:18 PM

" ...

That bit put me to worrying as well. My "give them the benefit of the doubt" nature led me to believe that Mr. Khan was speaking to player recruitment and not game day selection. I may be naïve but, I just can't see any self respecting manager/head coach accepting a position where he does not have control over and responsibility for match day player selection.

It clearly means the squad and not the match day selection. I am more cynical than most about our Chairman and even I did not interpret it that way. In the previous paragraph he sets out Jok's role where it is clear the match day squad is his responsibility.

SG

Quote from: nose on December 28, 2015, 01:44:24 PM
I thought it was the best article wriiten under our owner's name.

I remain very uneasy that Mike Rigg and AM seem to be 'getting away with it.' Their errors are many, let's see what the new year brings.

Agreed, I am heartened by this piece. Clearly they have taken on board many of the concerns aired on this board and tried to address them

millsy

Why do we keep going up these blind alleys, looking for problems?

You have to try very hard to read into that piece, anything other than player recruitment. Of course, the head coach picks the team, otherwise it would be pretty pointless him being "hyper-focussed on the first team".

Stop fretting and let the new guy settle in and do his job. We can chew over the modus operandi once we've seen how the team performs over coming weeks and of course how results pan out.

Seems to me we now have a good structure in place and a decent squad of players, so just need everyone to knuckle down and do their job!

Lighthouse

Goodness what a gullible lot we are. 50 days of delays and a season ended. But one article from the owner and we are all meek again. Well I am still feeling very bitter towards those who have made another season a pointless struggle.

Before getting too excited I will wait until we actually prove we can do something positive in the league.

:Happy New Year:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

MJG

I'll come back to this thread once every line, word,  paragraph has been sifted through so someone can explain all the hidden meanings to them.

FulhamStu

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 28, 2015, 01:45:18 PM
Of course he is talking  about player recruitment

" ...

MikeW

Come on folks it's a bloody football team.  Yet again we need to get behind the new man, give it our all and hope he galvanises the team.  Shirt term though, tomorrow is about Jimmy.  What he did for our club - without any of the wealth let's not forget - must not go without a dignified send off hopefully supported by a supreme effort on the pitch and on the terraces.

COYW
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Arthur

Quote from: Lighthouse on December 28, 2015, 02:01:57 PM
Goodness what a gullible lot we are. 50 days of delays and a season ended. But one article from the owner and we are all meek again. Well I am still feeling very bitter towards those who have made another season a pointless struggle.

Before getting too excited I will wait until we actually prove we can do something positive in the league.

Gullible? Today I feel more positive about the future of the Club than at any time since we were relegated. Am I gullible to think that Jokanovic will do a better job than Symons? There is every reason to believe that he will.

Indeed, with hindsight, I think this season was over before it began. I understood the Club's decision to retain Kit going into a new campaign, but even with an improved squad of players, it was still a case 'one step forwards, two steps back' under his guidance.

Time will tell whether Slavisa can mould us into a promotion-chasing outfit. At least, however, I have some confidence that we are giving ourselves a fighting chance.

valdeingruo

Quote from: MJG on December 28, 2015, 02:08:34 PM
I'll come back to this thread once every line, word,  paragraph has been sifted through so someone can explain all the hidden meanings to them.

I think it's important to point out that Slavisa emerged from an extremely impressive pool of candidates, some of whom became available or expressed their interest to us during the days and weeks that followed our decision to make a change on 8th November. This wasn't totally unexpected when you consider the attraction of Fulham, but it's safe to say that our shortlist of candidates grew immediately, as well as over time.

I knew it! Hes talking about the Jaguars and their stadium!
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

WayneKerrins

Decent appointment.
The words are consigned to burgeoning file of Khan flim flam.
Would have been interested on his take on the FFP breach. Quite an important issue but one that one incoherent and inconsistent club statement aside seems to have been buried.

colinwhite

Its very interesting that Khan is making this message and not Rigg. Its important to me at least.

Neil D

Jokanovic can and should consult whomsoever he likes about team selection - even Mike Rigg - but the final decision must remain with the head coach.  Anything else will lead to a shambles but I think SJ is experienced enough not to be out-manoeuvred by those whose grasp of the game is less secure.  After all, he is the one who walks if it all goes belly-up. Not Mike Rigg.