https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff 06/08/2010

Started by os5889, August 06, 2010, 09:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hull_city/8893030.stm

Hull unable to make new signings for financial reasons

Hull City manager Nigel Pearson has revealed that he will not make any new signings while uncertainty continues over their financial future.
He told BBC Radio Humberside: "I can't do any business until we either get players out or the financial situation is resolved."
The club are reportedly having talks with the Premier League over the release of parachute payments.
Hull owe money to other clubs, said to include Stoke, Fulham and Sunderland.
The Tigers have signed only two players, Nolberto Solano and James Harper, in the summer while allowing 12 to leave following their relegation from the top flight.
It is thought that they are also tracking the availability of Tottenham Hotspur's England U19 midfielder John Bostock.
The Yorkshire club racked up huge debts in the Premier League and have been haunted by the threat of administration since their demotion.

os5889

http://www.fansfc.com/story/23354.html

Hammers linked with Arsenal goalkeeper target
02:30 PM 06 August, 2010
West Ham United Football Club have been linked with Federico Marchetti.

The Italian goalkeeper has been linked with Arsenal this summer, but Arsene Wenger is still expected to instead take Mark Schwarzer from Fulham.

As a result of this transfer, Craven Cottage boss Mark Hughes is being tipped to move for Green, the West Ham number one, in a £5million deal.

To complete this story of shot-stoppers, Avram Grant will then, according to the Daily Mail, approach Cagliari for the signature of Marchetti.

However, one potential stumbling block could be how much the Serie A side want for the 26-year-old, as reports have suggested they rate him as much as £12million.

Such a fee would be beyond the Upton Park side, who would want to take Marchetti for no more than half of this valuation at the very most.

os5889

Members Only

As a Fulham Members' Club Member you could take your seat for some of the best football action from the Barclays Premier League; even if the match has already sold out!*

By joining the Fulham Members' Club, you'll get priority access to tickets, so you have a great chance to secure your seat at some of the biggest fixtures around.

The home match against Manchester United didn't even go on general sale and there are still tickets available to members for the Spurs and Man City home games, so you catch the action as the season kicks off. Join today!

This season, we've added a number of guaranteed seats at every home match reserved for members only. They're sold on a first come first served basis, so sign up today so you don't miss out, just £30 for adults and £10 for juniors. And the more games you attend, the more points you get on the loyalty point scheme, so those hard-to-get tickets are even easier for you to get your hands on.

*Seatwave Access for all Fulham Members' Club Members

The Fulham FC Ticket Exchange, powered by Seatwave, Europe's largest ticket exchange, provides Fulham Members with access to hard to those get tickets to sold out games. Only Members can buy some of the best Season Ticket seats in the Cottage when they become available on Seatwave, Fulham's Official Ticket Exchange partner.

For more information visit fulham.com/members or call 0843 208 1234.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/MembersClub.aspx#ixzz0vpl8ufdW

os5889

The Final Test

With almost a full week of training under new manager Mark Hughes now completed, Zoltan Gera is looking forward to Saturday's pre-season friendly against Bundesliga side Werder Bremen at Craven Cottage.

The Whites will be facing a side of undoubted pedigree - Thomas Schaaf's team finished third in last season's Bundesliga. It was a fine season following on from an impressive 2008/09 campaign which saw them reach the final of the UEFA Cup where they lost to eventual winners Shakhtar Donetsk. Coincidentally, they also secured their spot in the final after a semi-final victory over fellow German side, Hamburg.

"They are a very good team and are able to score lots of goals," Gera told fulhamfc.com. "They like to go forward and have many good players so it's going to be a good test for us. They also have good experience in Europe and the Bundesliga is a very strong league.

"This week has been very good and the training sessions have been very enjoyable, very sharp and quick training sessions. They have been very intensive so I think the players like the sessions and hopefully we will be successful next season with the new manager."

Playing just behind Bobby Zamora last season saw Gera run into a rich vein of form, earning him the Player of the Season award. But as he explained to fulhamfc.com, he is happy just to pull on the shirt regardless of position.

"I don't care in which position, I just want to play football," he said. "For me it's up to the Manager, he is the boss. I feel better playing just behind Bobby but it depends on the Manager, I just want to play games.

"My first season as a Fulham player wasn't the best for me – it was very difficult but I settled down and last season was much better, so I was very proud to be the Player of the Year."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/GeraBremenPreview.aspx#ixzz0vplFZRyl

os5889

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/hughes-backs-striker-1083623.html

Hughes backs striker

Mark Hughes says Bobby Zamora can help fire the Cottagers this season and confirmed he will form a key part of his new-look side.
Hughes is settling into his new role as Fulham chief and is aiming to build a side capable of a top-10 Premier League finish this season.

He will ideally bring in several of his own signings in the next couple of weeks before the transfer window closes but is sure to count on top-scorer Zamora for more goals in his new era.

Hughes is a big fan of the English forward, who could get a call-up for next week's friendly against Hungary, and hopes he can score as many as he did last term for the Cottagers.

"I saw Bobby last year and we came up against him - he had a great season. What he needs to do is build on that and become a consistent scorer for seasons to come."

os5889

Fulham - Bullard Hangover for Hull!

I know we should laugh at someone in a predicament but I can`t help it!

Jimmy Bullard, as we`re all perfectly aware now, is unlikely to feature for hull again with the club desperate to get the midfielder of their wage bill due to his high salary.

Now it`s come to light that Hull are going to be hit further rin the pocket with it being decreed that they`re the subject of a transfer freeze until outstanding monies are paid on all past transfer.

Apparently this means that their parachute payment they`re entitled to from the Premier League, following relegation, will be held back until such monies are paid.

Guess what! They still owe us some cash from the transfer of Jimmy Bullard reputedly!

It`s a funny old game this!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=207817#ixzz0vqaa5lCm

os5889

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/2010-english-premier-league-preview-fulham

2010 English Premier League Preview: Fulham

Our team-by-team (English) Premier League countdown heads to West London today with a club familiar to most American fans -- Fulham. Our organizational depth is coming up trumps again, as we call on commenter extraordinaire, 30f to break down the action at Craven Cottage for the coming year. Follow him on Twitter.

Glass Half Empty, Glass Half Fulham

By 30f

It was just in May, only a month before the start of the World Cup in South Africa, that the Europa League Final started in Hamburg with a wild ceremony parading flags and blasting bombastic music. That was a massive moment for Fulham Football Club – and the glare of the world-wide (humor me) TV lights were so bright ...

That the team was a bit blinded. Diego Forlan, the ugly ab-monster that the world loved so much as he killed it for Uruguay in the World Cup scored twice in that Europa League final. His second goal, deep in extra time, was a crusher and the Fulham bright lights kept dimming from there.

Fulham's ultra-organized and capable manager, Roy Hodgson, seemed destined to move on to something bigger and better. Uncle Roy did get bigger, and if Liverpool gets new ownership – it might actually turn out to be better for him. I'll always have great things to say about Hodgson and will wish him all the best, even if I think he's better managing hard-working guys rather than the collection of divas often found at bigger clubs.

But now, after finishing the 2009-10 Premier League season in 12th on 46 points (two spots and four points behind my prediction at this point last year)– and minus a manager, Fulham was adrift. No European games for the next season and the manager that had saved the team from relegation is gone. How much darker could things get?

Would Martin Jol come from Ajax? What about Dave Jones from Cardiff City? Would Sven give his (alleged) $2 million yearly gig with Ivory Coast to manage at the Cottage? Jol seemed a good choice but (shocker!) decided to stay at Ajax. Jones and Svennis didn't seem quite right. I was nervous and then ...

Mark Hughes was hired. Whew! Hughes is not a genius that is going to drive Fulham to a Champions League spot. The team won't have the money for the kind of players needed for that. What Hughes does bring is stability and a plan. I had been worried that Fulham might struggle so badly they'd risk going down to the Npower Championship. Hughes calmed those fears and made me more optimistic about this upcoming 10/11 season.

On a side note -- how lame is that Npower sponsorship? England's second division trading from Coke to that seems weak. As does Fulham losing an established German TV manufacturer (LG) as their shirt sponsor and picking up a currency gambling website (FX Pro) instead. If you want an indication of the state of the economy (or the Prem's place as an advertising force) those sponsor changes seem informative.

PLAYER MOVEMENT -- Hodgson's departure left Fulham in neutral for a while – neither buying nor selling. Jonathan Greening and his tattoo collection have come in while Chris Smalling was sold off last season to Man United. Erik Nevland, a useful piece, went home to captain his original team Viking of Norway. There is the rumor that Hughes is going to try and bring some guys who played for him at both Blackburn and Manchester City. Roque Santa Cruz and his massive salary demands I could do without.

While a Craig Bellamy arrival seems less likely to happen, he could become a scrappy Cottage hero along the likes of Jimmy Bullard and Danny Murphy. That's not much movement and here's hoping more transfers come in as things progress.

BEST ASSET -- Fulham's biggest asset this year is that they won't be distracted by playing in Europe. I know, I know – saying 'Now we can focus on the league' is a lame excuse that many teams make after getting knocked out of some cup and they don't really mean that they're happy to focus on the league. It's usually like politicians claiming to want to 'spend more time with their family' after resigning in disgrace.

Fulham is NOT a rich club and the demands of those extra (and important) games weighed more heavily on the Cottagers than it does on some of the big boys. Obviously, making it to the Europa Final was wonderful and the best moment (other than some relegation escape) in the history of the team. At the same time, I can see Fulham doing better in the league this year and slowly building their way back up the table and towards another shot to make it into Europe.

BIGGEST DRAWBACK -- It's a toss-up and both choices revolve around the beloved stadium the team plays in, Craven Cottage. Fulham's away record was abysmal last year – just as it usually is. This is the one area where I had hoped Hodgson would improve the team (and he did in Europe, but not in the league). Over the past five seasons, Fulham has won nine away league games. Yes, nine! That is less than two per year. Ick. If the team wins four or five away matches in 2010-11, then Sparky is a hero.

The real problem for the team is, once again, wonderfully charming – but tiny – Craven Cottage itself. Less seats to sell equals less money to spend on things like Craig Bellamy. Last season, Fulham home games were 94 percent full, which ranks up there with the big sides – too bad they don't (and won't) have more tickets to sell.

BEST PLAYER -- Mark Schwarzer seems a year past his expiry date (but might still be off to Arsenal!) and Breda Hangeland's performance was down bit last year after a stellar 2008-09. I don't really have an answer here. Bellamy if he comes. Clint Dempsey if he starts? Danny Murphy if he finds a time machine?

CHANCE OF RELEGATION -- Mil. The presence of Blackpool and West Brom in the 2010-11 league table mean there is likely just a single relegation spot in dispute and it is hard to imagine Fulham getting sucked into that battle with the steady hand of Hughes on the wheel.

CHANCE OF A TITLE -- nil.

PROJECTED FINISH -- Let's say ninth on 51 points.

BOTTOM LINE -- The 2009-10 version of Fulham was not the defensive juggernaut they were the season before but they did have a bit more danger in attack. If Hughes can keep that trend going without giving up more goals, most Fulham fans would be quite happy. The magic of last season's run to Hamburg (I could watch THIS over and over ) will likely make anything that happens this year seem tame.

Lighthouse

Brede Hangeland has been impressed with new Manager Mark Hughes' training sessions following his first week in charge of the squad.

"I think it's been really good this week," Hangeland told fulhamfc.com. "Clearly the Manager and his coaches know what they're doing and it's been a really good week with good sessions – so I look forward to times ahead. We've been training a little bit harder than we're used to, he wants us to put a lot into the sessions and work hard.

"We've played a lot of football, which is always nice for the players. Everyone's enjoyed it so far."

The Whites are back at the Cottage on Saturday in their final pre-season friendly against Werder Bremen, and Hangeland can't wait to set foot on the Cottage turf once again.

"We look forward to that game, it's nice to play at the Cottage finally," he explained. "We've played so many games away from home so out of all of the pre-season games we've played; this will be the most important one. Hopefully we can put on a good show and a good performance.

"We haven't got any European football this season so hopefully we'll be able to focus fully on the Premiership and get into the top ten. But it's always a fight in this league and avoiding relegation is always the first goal but hopefully we can do a little bit better than that."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/BredesHomecoming.aspx#ixzz0vqaScQ6D
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

os5889

http://www.footballfancast.com/2010/08/football-blogs/will-he-forever-rue-the-day-he-turned-down-liverpool

Will he forever rue the day he turned down Liverpool?

Aston Villa full back Luke Young looks set to snub interest from Liverpool to join new Fulham manager Mark Hughes at Craven Cottage. Hughes has sanctioned the deal which was put in place by Hodgson during his time last season as Fulham manager. Hodgson then tried to convince Young to follow him to Anfield which he seems unwilling to do. Young's proposed move to Merseyside has hit the rocks as a result of Young's reluctance to take a significant pay drop in order to link up with Hodgson's men.

Young's rejection of Liverpool could be construed as a lack of ambition on the part of Young. He was presented with an opportunity to join the most successful club in England but instead chose to join Fulham who only just managed to stay in the Premier League a few seasons ago. With his advancing age (Young is now 31), Young's chances of joining a similarly big club in the limited years he has left in his playing career are pretty slim.

In addition to a lack of ambition at club level, the same accusation could be levelled at Young at international level. Young chose to retire from international football following his decision to decline his England call-up for a friendly against Brazil last November in Doha. However, there were mitigating circumstances surrounding his decision as Young was dealing with personal tragedy following the death of his brother Andre who died on holiday in Crete.

While his decisions to turn down Liverpool and England can be seen as a lack of ambition, it may prove to be a prudent one in the long run for Young. Despite being known for being a highly consistent performer, Young found himself out of favour at Villa Park during the latter half of last season under Martin O'Neill. He was replaced at right back by Carlos Cuellar who was being played out of position by O'Neill while Young himself was left on the substitute's bench. His experiences at Aston Villa have maybe caused Young to think again about his move to Liverpool as a move to Merseyside would probably mean more time on the sidelines for Young. At Liverpool, Young would find himself behind established players Glen Johnson and Jamie Carragher in the full-back pecking order at Anfield along with youngster Martin Kelly who has impressed at full-back in Liverpool's pre-season so far.

In any such case, Young finds himself in a tough spot. Unwanted by O'Neill at Aston Villa and desperate to trim the wage bill at Villa Park, a move away is a certainty for Young. If Fulham do sign him they would be getting a consistent and versatile player who would undoubtedly help to strengthen Mark Hughes' squad at Craven Cottage.

Lighthouse

With almost a full week of training under new manager Mark Hughes now completed, Zoltan Gera is looking forward to Saturday's pre-season friendly against Bundesliga side Werder Bremen at Craven Cottage|.

The Whites will be facing a side of undoubted pedigree - Thomas Schaaf's team finished third in last season's Bundesliga. It was a fine season following on from an impressive 2008/09 campaign which saw them reach the final of the UEFA Cup where they lost to eventual winners Shakhtar Donetsk. Coincidentally, they also secured their spot in the final after a semi-final victory over fellow German side, Hamburg.

"They are a very good team and are able to score lots of goals," Gera told fulhamfc.com. "They like to go forward and have many good players so it's going to be a good test for us. They also have good experience in Europe and the Bundesliga is a very strong league.

"This week has been very good and the training sessions have been very enjoyable, very sharp and quick training sessions. They have been very intensive so I think the players like the sessions and hopefully we will be successful next season with the new manager."

Playing just behind Bobby Zamora last season saw Gera run into a rich vein of form, earning him the Player of the Season award. But as he explained to fulhamfc.com, he is happy just to pull on the shirt regardless of position.

"I don't care in which position, I just want to play football," he said. "For me it's up to the Manager, he is the boss. I feel better playing just behind Bobby but it depends on the Manager, I just want to play games.

"My first season as a Fulham player wasn't the best for me – it was very difficult but I settled down and last season was much better, so I was very proud to be the Player of the Year."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/GeraBremenPreview.aspx#ixzz0vqbRjkNm

os5889

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 06, 2010, 06:21:31 PM
With almost a full week of training under new manager Mark Hughes now completed, Zoltan Gera is looking forward to Saturday's pre-season friendly against Bundesliga side Werder Bremen at Craven Cottage|.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/GeraBremenPreview.aspx#ixzz0vqbRjkNm

Gee talk about a double post.... At least I managed the title  :59:

os5889

http://www.fansfc.com/story/23360.html

Lazio again enter Manchester City contact
06:00 PM 06 August, 2010
Lazio want to take Roque Santa Cruz from Manchester City Football Club.

The Italians have already signed Javier Garrido from the Blues, shortly after letting the Premier League side take Aleksandar Kolarov for £18million.

Reports now claim the Serie A side are hoping to lure Paraguayan international Santa Cruz from Manchester, just twelve months after he joined from Blackburn Rovers.

Lazio hope to take the 28-year-old on a loan deal, but they may miss out if former Blues boss Mark Hughes, now in charge of Fulham, offers a straight cash deal.

Santa Cruz is some way down the pecking order at Eastlands, and this situation will worsen when, as expected, Roberto Mancini signs another frontman this summer.

Lighthouse

Sorry os5889 if I re posted something already on.  :doh:

At least I didn't post it twice a few hours after you had.  :011:

Or maybe I did. I don't remember  :012:

ScalleysDad

Quote from: os5889 on August 06, 2010, 09:43:56 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/430400-the-top-ten-underachievers-of-world-football#page/8

The Top 10 Underachievers of World Football

No. 4 Stan Collymore

Another English striker who makes the list is fellow underachiever Robbie Fowler's one-time strike parter Stan Collymore.

"Stan the Man" had everything a world class striker could need: strength, speed, positioning, and an ability to score from any angle with either foot. He became well-known in England after beating an entire defense before looping a shot in from outside the box while playing for Nottingham Forest. It was just one of the 41 goals he scored for them in 65 games. Collymore's consistency and potential sealed a then-record transfer to Liverpool in 1995.

Collymore's best years continued at Liverpool, where he formed a fearsome partnership with Fowler and kept up his habit of scoring remarkable goals at a high frequency.

But it was also during his time at Anfield that Collymore began to display signs of his severe mental fragility. He alienated himself from teammates and coaches and became outcast from the "Spice Boys" group that existed at the club.

It got to the point where his own teammates stopped celebrating when he scored, and the Liverpool brass decided he had become a distraction and sold him to Aston Villa after just two seasons.

Thus began the nomadic final years of Collymore's career, when he played for Villa, Fulham, Leicester City, Bradford City, and Oviedo from 1997-2001. He only scored 14 total goals during that time, a period which was interrupted by tabloid scandals and his own treatment for Clinical Depression.

Collymore had long since ceased giving England managers reasons to pick him, and failed to add to the three caps he had earned by 1997. He had once shown signs of becoming a key player for his country, but instead retired at the age of 30 after a largely unfulfilled career

Its probably of little consulation to Stan the Man but he is still the purveyor of one of the greatest goals ever scored at Home Park. I still remember thinking "oooer we might be on to something here" and then he went through another bonkers spell. One of a long line of disappointing forwards really.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: ScalleysDad on August 06, 2010, 09:27:44 PM
Quote from: os5889 on August 06, 2010, 09:43:56 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/430400-the-top-ten-underachievers-of-world-football#page/8

The Top 10 Underachievers of World Football

No. 4 Stan Collymore

Another English striker who makes the list is fellow underachiever Robbie Fowler's one-time strike parter Stan Collymore.

"Stan the Man" had everything a world class striker could need: strength, speed, positioning, and an ability to score from any angle with either foot. He became well-known in England after beating an entire defense before looping a shot in from outside the box while playing for Nottingham Forest. It was just one of the 41 goals he scored for them in 65 games. Collymore's consistency and potential sealed a then-record transfer to Liverpool in 1995.

Collymore's best years continued at Liverpool, where he formed a fearsome partnership with Fowler and kept up his habit of scoring remarkable goals at a high frequency.

But it was also during his time at Anfield that Collymore began to display signs of his severe mental fragility. He alienated himself from teammates and coaches and became outcast from the "Spice Boys" group that existed at the club.

It got to the point where his own teammates stopped celebrating when he scored, and the Liverpool brass decided he had become a distraction and sold him to Aston Villa after just two seasons.

Thus began the nomadic final years of Collymore's career, when he played for Villa, Fulham, Leicester City, Bradford City, and Oviedo from 1997-2001. He only scored 14 total goals during that time, a period which was interrupted by tabloid scandals and his own treatment for Clinical Depression.

Collymore had long since ceased giving England managers reasons to pick him, and failed to add to the three caps he had earned by 1997. He had once shown signs of becoming a key player for his country, but instead retired at the age of 30 after a largely unfulfilled career

Its probably of little consulation to Stan the Man but he is still the purveyor of one of the greatest goals ever scored at Home Park. I still remember thinking "oooer we might be on to something here" and then he went through another bonkers spell. One of a long line of disappointing forwards really.
I still want to see Stans photos.