watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bovril in the ground

Started by bobbo, December 30, 2015, 08:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorfolkJim

I never buy food at the match (although in Krakow I did buy a half time sausage - and very reasonable it was too - and once away at Burnley I bought a Bovril just to warm my hands on as it was soooo cold) but it is pretty much a max takings in minimal time game - They need to pay staff but the window of opportunity for sales is really small - Hence a football club would rather sell 10 Burgers for £10 each than 100 Burgers for £1 each - The trick is hitting the price that gives maximum yield to demand ratios.
This is why NFL games stop and start constantly and take 4-5 hours to complete - that way the fans can go out, buy a drink, buy food, go to the loo and come back and not much has been missed. At Football, you can hardly get your todger back inside your zip before they are kicking off again, let alone buy Bovril. This is why we get that stream of people leaving their seats with 15 minutes to go to half time.
We need like they have in China, on stream boiling water - then you can bring your own bovril, pot noodle or whatever

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on December 30, 2015, 09:15:50 PM
Who else recalls the old metal Bovril signs pitch side? I wonder what happened to them?

092.gif

They melted them down, and are preparing to carve a statue of Alan Curbishley, as Fulhams tribute to Lord Lucan, Shergar and the Scarlet Pimpernel.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

SP

My nephew went to only his third match on Boxing Day, AFC Wimbledon v Bristol Rovers.  The queue for food was too long so he popped out of the ground to buy from the chipee. Not sure our stewards would allow deep fried food into the ground, probably have to leave them at the school?

Incidentally, the match ended 0-0 so he has never seen a goal. In fact, he's seen more sendings off.

Woolly Mammoth

I attend matches to watch the football, not eat or drink. Not there long enough to get hungry. Although I admit I may have a couple of beers if I feel thirsty. Although I generally hold my nose when passing a Food Vendor, as the aroma reminds me of the time I French kissed a Skunk, and  the prices are a rip off. But that's where we have a choice, yield to temptation and spend hard earned money on junk food and drink. Or save it, and put it towards your season ticket next year.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: SP on December 31, 2015, 10:51:44 AM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on December 31, 2015, 10:44:47 AM
Quote from: win-dup on December 31, 2015, 10:06:42 AM
Can't understand why people have to eat at a football match. It's only 105 minutes - are you going to starve in that time? Same as people eating on a bus or the tube - revolting smell and then they leave their greasy wrappers on the seats. Grrr!

To a certain extent I agree and I very rarely leave my seat at half time for that reason. Its overpriced and not necessary given i will be out in less than 2 hours. But when you have kids the need for food and drink is very different.

A pre-match trip to the Woolworth's Pic 'n' Mix always worked for me & the kids.  Sadly no longer an option.

My kids love a pick 'n' mix. You can still get them on the high street in certain shops. Wilkinsons do it.

You can't beat woolworths though! Used to love the mini cans of fizzy drinks
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Berserker

My husband is a big Bouvil fan, prob as he's Scotland
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Wolf

Staines Town sell pick n mix in their club shop. Apparently they shift loads of it
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

SP

Quote from: Wolf on December 31, 2015, 11:53:28 AM
Staines Town sell pick n mix in their club shop. Apparently they shift loads of it

Not surprised, they're expensive.  I find it difficult to eat this stuff now due to my OCD tendencies, it's the thought of those dirty little hands squeezing under the protective plastic barrier.

Berserker

Quote from: SP on December 31, 2015, 12:06:02 PM

Not surprised, they're expensive.  I find it difficult to eat this stuff now due to my OCD tendencies, it's the thought of those dirty little hands squeezing under the protective plastic barrier.
There's alot of emphasis on trying to get kiddies not to eat so much sugar, therefore doubt the FFC would start selling something such as pick and mix.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Supermitch

They do indeed - suggest everyone gets down there at some point to support the not so mighty Swans.  Their defending from set plays is very much like Fulham's has been  :031:  A certain moderator was witness to that on Boxing Day....

Fulham1959

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 31, 2015, 10:58:54 AM
Quote from: bog on December 30, 2015, 09:15:50 PM
Who else recalls the old metal Bovril signs pitch side? I wonder what happened to them?

092.gif

They melted them down, and are preparing to carve a statue of Alan Curbishley, as Fulhams tribute to Lord Lucan, Shergar and the Scarlet Pimpernel.

064.gif

Fulham1959

It seems that people are compelled to eat/drink when they're out, in this 21st Century.

Ever tried to find the toilets in a motorway service station, amid the myriad of multi-choice fast-food outlets ?  People spend a fortune on coffees and eats at these places.

Me, I take a flask and a few cereal bars, etc., and eat them in my car.  I know the quality of what I'm eating/drinking and save a fortune in the process.  No queueing and I get on my way much faster.

bill taylors apprentice

As a real ale connoisseur, I have to say the real ale tent between the Hammy end and Riverside stand serves a very decent pint.

When they started last season I spoke to the chap running it and he said the regular catering company complained their prices were 10 or 20 pence cheaper than the crap served at all other outlets in the ground.

They were forced to raise the price after a couple of home games in line with the muck and thereby hangs a tale.

These catering companies must be making big bucks and its not in their interest to offer a tastier and better value for money deal to a captive audience. 

And you would think the club has done its research into this and concluded the crappy option at maximum price yielding an acceptable profit is the way to go, one would think?

SG

Haven't bought food or drink in the ground for years - ever since the balti pies were stopped. Now everything is vastly overpriced and nondescript

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Berserker on December 31, 2015, 11:53:00 AM
My husband is a big Bouvil fan, prob as he's Scotland
Surprised he does not buy Ironbru?
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Carborundum

My lifetime consumption of Bovril must make me one of the producer's best customers....and place me in the high risk bracket for BSE.  But I have never much enjoyed it as a drink.  Spread on toast or, best of all, on hot buttered crumpets, it's delicious.  Try it a few times and you may see what I mean.  The devil doesn't just have the best tunes, he has the best flavours too!

Prices are ridiculous at the FFC outlets.  But it's nice that they no longer confiscate the plastic bottle tops, so I'm thankful for that return to sanity.

Skatzoffc

I occasionally got  Bovril for my dad and I.
But we kept getting cold ones they had pre-poured.

I now take in a small Thermos with soup.
Does the job and change the flavours when I like.

Lol

Happy new year to all!
COYW!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

EJL

I'm convinced that the people who say Bovril doesn't taste nice haven't tried it. It's delicious.

bobbo

Quote from: west kowloon white on December 30, 2015, 09:11:13 PM
A travesty - glad you took the time to post.
There's another site for you somewhere, I think it's called failed p**s takers . I'm sure you'll find it.
1975 just leaving home full of hope