https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (01/01/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 01, 2016, 09:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Middlesbrough consider fresh move for Scotland striker Ross McCormack

Wanted: Fulham's Ross McCormack is back on Boro's radar

AN OLD name has emerged as a fresh transfer target for Middlesbrough next month as Aitor Karanka considers ways of bolstering his squad for the promotion run-in.

With the uncertainty surrounding the future of Patrick Bamford following the end of his Crystal Palace loan, Karanka is also weighing up other options to strengthen his attacking ranks.

Fulham's Ross McCormack is a player still in Middlesbrough's thinking, more than two years after he was first targeted by the Teesside club.

McCormack has scored 15 goals for the Cottagers this season despite a frustrating start for the west London club, which has seen manager Kit Symons replaced by Slavisa Jokanovic.

The new Fulham boss has inherited a team under a transfer embargo and has been told he needs to consider sales to allow him to make his own moves in the market.

Bournemouth, who are also showing an interest in Bamford, are among those considering a swoop for McCormack in the new year but Middlesbrough are keeping an eye on things themselves.

Karanka has a number of potential attacking targets, with Bamford, McCormack and Blackburn's Jordan Rhodes known to be three of those on his radar.

McCormack, 29, has averaged a goal almost every two games since his £11m switch from Leeds United in 2014. He had previously frustrated Boro by committing to a new deal at Elland Road when Tony Mowbray had felt he was close to landing him.

Mowbray had tabled three offers for McCormack during his time in charge at the Riverside but it never materialised and he signed a new deal at Leeds. The following summer he joined Fulham in a deal which made him the most expensive player in Football League history.

The former Cardiff striker, who is just as effective as a No 10, signed a four-year deal when he moved from Leeds and Fulham when the player felt he would achieve the aim of promotion to the Premier League. The Scotland international scored a hat-trick against Middlesbrough in May's 4-3 defeat which ended hopes of automatic promotion for the men from the North-East.

Middlesbrough boss Karanka, who would like to make a couple of additions next month, is not too worried about what happens as he has the confidence in the squad he has at his disposal.

Derby's failure to win at Leeds on Tuesday means Middlesbrough will head in to the battle of the top two at the Riverside on Saturday as the Championship's leaders.

Middlesbrough have a game in hand and are a point clear of the Rams and the rest of their rivals, while there is a five-point gap to the play-off places. Crucially there is also a 13 point difference between first and Sheffield Wednesday in seventh.

Ipswich are sixth, nine points behind Middlesbrough, and manager Mick McCarthy said after his side's victory at Brighton:

McCarthy said: "It's not realistic for us to catch Middlesbrough and Derby and I don't think automatic promotion is realistic. But we will be trying like hell to catch them."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough/14175434.Middlesbrough_consider_fresh_move_for_Scotland_striker_Ross_McCormack/?

WhiteJC

Cauley Woodrow set to retain place for Sheffield Wednesday game

Cauley Woodrow is likely to be the first name on new head coach Slavisa Jokanovic's team-sheet for Fulham's clash with Sheffield Wednesday.

Striker Woodrow came in for Moussa Dembele, who is nursing a slight hamstring problem, and bagged a brace to help the Cottagers to a first win in 10 matches against Rotherham in midweek.

It was Woodrow's first league start of the campaign and he is hoping to keep his place against the Owls.

He told the club's official website: "It's nice for me to get two goals. I've waited a long time for my chance and was really glad to get it."

Scott Parker and Tom Cairney came in for Jamie O'Hara and Luke Garbutt in the 4-1 victory against the Millers and could also keep their starting spots.

Sheffield Wednesday midfielder Sam Hutchinson is a big doubt due to a groin injury sustained in Monday's defeat at Middlesbrough.

Hutchinson, who has played in central defence for the last three matches due to the absence of both Tom Lees (hamstring) and Michael Turner (knee), will be monitored.

Striker Fernando Forestieri is expected to return to the starting line-up after being a surprise omission at Middlesbrough, where head coach Carlos Carvalhal named him on the bench and made five other changes.

On-loan Norwich striker Gary Hooper (dead leg) could return to contention and defender Daniel Pudil is hoping to recover from a back problem.

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/fulham/cauley-woodrow-set-to-retain-place-for-sheffield-wednesday-g-1794116.html?

WhiteJC

Tottenham want to sign Fulham's Moussa Dembele

Tottenham Hotspur have expressed an interest in signing Fulham starlet Moussa Dembele, according to Sky Sports.

The broadcaster claims their sources have told them that Spurs are keen on bringing the French striker to White Hart Lane in the near future.

Any such deal would lead to considerable confusion given that the north Londoners already have Mousa Dembele, the 28-year-old Belgian midfielder they signed from Fulham in 2012, on their books.

Their prospective new Dembele is aged 19 and has played for the Cottagers since 2012, when he joined their youth ranks from Paris Saint-Germain.

The France Under-20 international made his Premier League debut for Fulham in the 2013/14 campaign, but has only established himself as a regular starter for the Championship side this term.

He has nine goals in 20 league outings so far this season.

That return has seen him regularly linked with a moved to the Premier League over the past few months.

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2015/12/tottenham-want-to-sign-fulhams-moussa-dembele/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+offthepost%2FTLAa+%28Off+The+Post%29

WhiteJC

Hyndman: Great Feeling

Emerson Hyndman was pleased to play an important part in Fulham's first win in 10 games on Tuesday evening.

The young midfielder put in an accomplished display in the middle of the park as the Whites romped to a 4-1 win over Rotherham United in their final match of 2015.

"It's a great feeling to end the winless run, for sure," he told fulhamfc.com. "We want to kick-start our season and we certainly did that. We are looking forward to working with the new coach and pushing on from the Rotherham match.

"I just look to perform well on the pitch and I think I had done okay to this point, but on Tuesday I think I stepped it up a little bit.

"It feels great as I've worked very hard this year. To get this opportunity in the middle of the season is a fantastic feeling and I am just trying to get as many games as I can.

"I have been working hard all year in training and in the 21s. I try and get better every single day and when Stuart [Gray] came in he showed faith in me from the very beginning and it was very nice to feel that."

Hyndman shared central midfield duties on Tuesday with Scott Parker – 16 years his senior – and he admitted playing with the former England Captain can only benefit his game.

"Obviously working with and then playing with Scotty is a huge help for me with all the experience that he has playing this game," he said. "He guides me around the pitch sometimes which is great.

"I have a lot to learn still but I was very happy with my performance. But most importantly the team played well which is the main thing."

Incoming Head Coach Slaviša Jokanović made a brief appearance in the dressing room prior to the match before taking his place in the stand.

"He came in and said he would only be 45 seconds long," Hyndman revealed. "He said good luck to all of us and that he wanted to see commitment and aggressiveness in the game.

"I think we did that from the first minute and we pegged them back with Cauley's goal. We conceded the set-piece but despite this we were in complete control."

Jokanović's first game in charge sees Sheffield Wednesday make the trip to Craven Cottage on Saturday, and Hyndman believes his team have enough in their locker to secure a second consecutive win.

"We respect Sheffield Wednesday but it is all about us really," he stated. "We have the quality to beat any team in the Championship. I think we can harness the feelings from the win the other night and kick on."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/december/31/hyndman-great-feeling?

WhiteJC

Middlesbrough mull new move for McCormack
by DAN on DECEMBER 31, 2015

This morning's Northern Echo carries an article suggesting that Middlesbrough might be preparing a bid for Fulham striker Ross McCormack when the transfer window opens in January.

The Teeside club were close to signing the Scottish international from Leeds back in 2013 under former boss Tony Mowbray and Aitor Karanka is targeting a striker to boost his attacking options in Middlesbrough's push for promotion from the Championship. Karanka is considering a number of potential signings, including former loan star Patrick Bamford who returned to Chelsea after an unsuccessful spell with Crystal palace this week, and the report references Fulham's impending transfer embargo as a reason why they might part with their prized asset.

Bournemouth have also been heavily linked with a January move for McCormack, with the Daily Mail suggesting that they have already made several inquiries as to the former Leeds striker's availability. The 29 year-old scored his 15th goal of the season in Tuesday night's 4-1 win over Rotherham and extended his current contract until 2019 in August.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2015/12/middlesbrough-mull-new-move-for-mccormack/?

WhiteJC

Tottenham and Everton keen on Dembele

A Sky Sports report this morning claims that Tottenham and Everton are among a clutch of clubs who are keen on signing Fulham striker Moussa Dembele in January.

The French youth international has long been linked with a move away from Craven Cottage and has shown no sign of extending his current contract with Fulham, which expires in June. The Championship club are determined to keep hold of the 19 year-old until the end of the season – and thus activate compensate payments should he choose to move on – but a number of Premier League and leading European clubs are known to monitoring Dembele's performances and may test Fulham's resolve with official offers next month.

Fulham have tabled a new, four-year contract offer with Dembele and his agent, but the former Paris Saint-Germain striker, long viewed as one of the stars of the club's Academy since he moved from France in 2012, is not likely to agree new terms. Dembele's emergence as a regular source of goals in the first team this season has followed a prolific career at youth level, which saw him help Fulham reach the FA Youth Cup final in 2014. He has scored ten goals in 24 appearances this term and established himself as Ross McCormack's main strike partner, although he missed Tuesday night's win over Rotherham through injury.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2015/12/tottenham-and-everton-keen-on-dembele/?

WhiteJC

Hyndman happy to end Fulham's winless streak

Emerson Hyndman was delighted to end Fulham's run of nine games without a win against Rotherham United on Tuesday night – and is equally pleased to have got a first-team opportunity under caretaker head coach Stuart Gray.

The American international, who had previously told US-based journalists that he would be looking for a move away from Fulham once his contract expires in the summer, has enjoyed first-team football since the departure of Kit Symons and delivered a composed performance in a playmaking role from the centre of the park as the Whites moved a little further away from the relegation zone with a comfortable win in midweek.

We want to kick-start our season and we certainly did that. We are looking forward to working with the new coach and pushing on from the Rotherham match. I just look to perform well on the pitch and I think I had done okay to this point, but on Tuesday I think I stepped it up a little bit.

It feels great as I've worked very hard this year. To get this opportunity in the middle of the season is a fantastic feeling and I am just trying to get as many games as I can. I have been working hard all year in training and in the 21s. I try and get better every single day and when Stuart [Gray] came in he showed faith in me from the very beginning and it was very nice to feel that.

Hyndman credits club captain Scott Parker as a key figure in his own development – and the pair formed an impressive partnership of the midfield that gradually took control of the Rotherham game.

Obviously working with and then playing with Scotty is a huge help for me with all the experience that he has playing this game. He guides me around the pitch sometimes which is great. I have a lot to learn still but I was very happy with my performance. But most importantly the team played well which is the main thing.

The Texas-born midfielder is excited to work under new coach Slavisa Jokanovic, who paid a brief visit to the dressing room prior to Tuesday's fixture, having been named as Symons' successor on Sunday.

He came in and said he would only be 45 seconds long. He said good luck to all of us and that he wanted to see commitment and aggressiveness in the game. I think we did that from the first minute and we pegged them back with Cauley's goal. We conceded the set-piece but despite this we were in complete control.

Hyndman is now targeting a perfect start to 2016 with a win over Sheffield Wednesday at the Cottage on Saturday – but nobody is taking the Owls' challenge lightly.

We respect Sheffield Wednesday but it is all about us really. We have the quality to beat any team in the Championship. I think we can harness the feelings from the win the other night and kick on.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2015/12/hyndman-happy-to-end-fulhams-winless-streak/?

WhiteJC

3 things we learned from Fulham's 4-1 victory over Rotherham

Fulham cruised to a 4-1 victory over revitalised Rotherham United to pull six points away from the drop zone.

It was Rotherham's first loss after back-to-back wins against Hull and Bolton and it has left the Millers above the relegation places on goal difference alone.

Goals from Woodrow, Kacaniklic, McCormack and an own goal from Kirk Broadfoot consigned the South Yorkshire side to defeat despite Farrend Rawson's first half equaliser.

The match was fairly end to end and even during the first 20 minutes, but when Rawson scored to level the scores at 1-1; the Millers switched off at a crucial time.

Fulham deservedly went ahead just before half time and kept their momentum going during the second half as £11 million signing Ross McCormack and Cauley Woodrow dominated the proceedings.

Here are three things we learned from Fulham's 4-1 victory over Rotherham...

1) The arrival of Jokanovic has instilled the Fulham players with confidence

After Fulham went ahead 2-1 the whole team played with complete confidence.

After being managerless for a long time with no wins in 9, the players finally had someone to impress and play for.

The fans will be in great spirits going into their next game against Sheffield Wednesday as every player looked assured on the ball.

The London side kept possession well and were clinical in front of goal.

2) Old problems plagued Rotherham again

Two problems Rotherham have had this season have been defending and clinical finishing.

In recent matches it looked like the reds had arrested these woes and were looking to push on but the match against Fulham was lost because of these problems.

Frazer Richardson looked uncomfortable for much of the match and Fulham took advantage.

Lee Camp did well to keep the score-line to what it was but Rawson was also playing poorly and was ball watching in important defensive plays leaving the backline exposed.

Meanwhile at the other end Grant Ward had an excellent chance to score after latching onto an inch perfect through ball but could not finish past the opposition 'keeper.

Rotherham actually had eight shots on target against Fulham and the hosts had the same amount on target but the difference was that Fulham were clinical and Rotherham were not.

Neil Redfearn must attempt to arrest these problems and keep them away if the Millers are to succeed in this league.

3) McCormack will be vital to Fulham in this second half of the season

Ross McCormack was a level above against Rotherham. He did not put a foot wrong the whole game and bagged himself a goal and an assist for Cauley Woodrow's goal.

He was a constant nuisance to the Rotherham defence and his class showed as he dribbled past three defenders in the play building up to Fulham's third goal.

His performances will be vital to Fulham's season as he looks to justify his large fee.

Read more at http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-things-we-learned-from-fulhams-4-1-victory-over-rotherham/?#S2iQrQS3yhmJ2ExZ.99

WhiteJC

Woodrow MOTM: Goal Cam

Check out the brace bagged by MOTM Cauley Woodrow against Rotherham United from a different perspective in "Goal Cam".

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/december/31/woodrow-goal-cam-rotherham?

WhiteJC

Boro join race to sign Championship rival's striker

Championship leaders Middlesbrough could be set to make another move for Fulham striker Ross McCormack, according to The Northern Echo.

McCormack has had a good season so far scoring 13 goals in 24 matches for Fulham who are the Championship's top scorers.

Earlier this week The72 had reported that Bournemouth were interested in signing the 29-year-old after losing Callum Wilson to injury.

It is now understood that Middlesbrough Manager Aitor Karanka is keen to renew his interest in the striker to add further goal scoring power behind his side's promotion bid.

Middlesbrough have previously been linked with January moves for Patrick Bamford and Jordan Rhodes but now Bamford's immediate future is currently uncertain and Blackburn Rovers are thought to be unlikely to offload their prized asset Rhodes, particularly after owners Venky's promise to provide financial support to new Manager Paul Lambert.

Boro initially showed interest in McCormack during his time at Leeds United prior to his reported £11 million move to fellow Championship club Fulham where his goals last season contributed to The Cottagers avoiding an unexpected relegation to League 1.

Middlesbrough have scored 34 league goals this season which is less than the goals scored by Championship promotion rivals Derby County, Brentford and Sheffield Wednesday and the same number as Ipswich Town, Burnley and Hull City and boss Aitor Karanka is looking to bolster his attacking options in January in a bid to out score his promotion rivals.

http://the72.co.uk/43135/boro-join-race-sign-rival-teams-striker/?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Sheff Wed

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Saturday 2 January Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Coverage: Listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

TEAM NEWS
Fulham's new coach Slavisa Jokanovic is likely to start striker Cauley Woodrow following his brace in midweek.

Midfielders Scott Parker and Tom Cairney could keep their starting spots following Fulham's first win in 10.

Sheffield Wednesday midfielder Sam Hutchinson, who has started the last three matches in defence because of injuries, is a doubt (groin).

Striker Fernando Forestieri should return to the starting line-up after being left out at Middlesbrough.

MATCH FACTS
Fulham have won seven and lost none of their last nine home league matches with Sheffield Wednesday.
In fact, the Owls have won just once in their last 14 visits to Fulham in league competition, failing to keep a clean sheet (D2 L11).
Ross McCormack has scored twice and assisted two goals in his last three home games against the Owls (includes games at Leeds).
Ross Wallace assisted all three of Sheffield Wednesday's goals in their 3-2 win over Fulham in September. Going into the festive period, he was the only Championship player to record three assists in a game.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35179527

WhiteJC

The Sean Davis Column

So the big news recently was the appointment of Slaviša Jokanović as Head Coach, and I'm very happy he's here. It was lingering on a bit because the Club obviously wanted to get the right man. Hopefully now he can make the team hard to beat and add some consistency to their game, because that's what we need. We know we've been conceding too many goals so I'm sure he'll be looking at getting the team working together to address that. His record at Watford was fantastic so hopefully he can bring that to us. He's young, he's got fresh ideas, he's hungry, so I'm optimistic that 2016 can be a year we look back on fondly.

I played against him once in my career when we drew 1-1 with Chelsea at Craven Cottage in our first year in the Premiership. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink scored for them and then Barry Hayles equalised for us, which he would have loved as a Tottenham fan. I can't remember the game too much but Gentleman Jim told me I ran the show, so I'll happily believe him! So if Mr Jokanović sees me and doesn't talk to me it's probably because I made his life hell during that 90 minutes...

He will have been pleased with what he saw on Tuesday against Rotherham, although it was a bit too open for my liking. It was a good result in the end and it's always nice to score four goals at home. It hasn't been the best year so it was a great way to sign off. It's obviously disappointing to concede from a set-play again, but it was a top win nevertheless and I'm very, very pleased for Cauley Woodrow.

I'm a big fan of his. I said before the season that if he started most of the games I think he could score 15/20-plus goals. With his hard work and his endeavour, goals will come. He took his first goal very well and his second one was great movement to get on the end of a superb Ross McCormack delivery – you always know he's going to supply great through balls and crosses. Cauley set one up as well so he can look back on his performance with great pride.

We'd gone nine matches without a win prior to Tuesday, so I think it was very important we brought that barren run to a halt. Rotherham were only three points behind us and they're in the bottom-four, so it was a massive win for us really and that's why maybe I think it was a bit nervy at the beginning of the game. Once we got our passing together and used the ball quicker, we picked them apart and ended up worthy winners.

Before the match we paid our respects to the late Jimmy Hill, and it was a great tribute. The applause was so loud you couldn't even hear the referee's whistle from where we were. It was a fitting tribute and the Fulham fans turned out in their numbers which showed their respect for Jimmy and what he'd done for the Club.

I was obviously very young when Jimmy was Chairman at Fulham, but he did come to one of our youth games. I think we drew 2-2 with Norwich at home, but there was a 22-man brawl, and that was the first game of mine he ever came to watch! We all thought we were going to get in trouble after the game but our coach John Marshall said well done for sticking together. That's the only time our paths ever really crossed, but what he's done for football is just amazing – he was a pioneer of his era.

We kick 2016 off with a tough game against Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday. They'll bring a lot of fans down as well so it will be a good atmosphere. We ended the year well, so can we start the new one in a good fashion as well? To get six points from our home games this week would be just perfect. If we can start the game well and make ourselves harder to beat then I think we'll be a match for anyone. Fernando Forestieri has been a key performer for them this season, but Slaviša will know all about him from their time at Watford together. He'll know how to handle him but it will be down to the players whose role it specifically is to mark him or to shut down the space around him.

I hope you all have an enjoyable night tonight whatever you're doing – Happy New Year!

Sean.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/december/31/the-sean-davis-column?

WhiteJC

Ian Holloway predicts Fulham v Sheffield Wednesday

Sheffield Wednesday are set to travel to Fulham at the weekend.

Ian Holloway has told Sky Sports that he believes Fulham will beat Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 on Saturday.

The Cottagers have been in poor form this season, but they won their most recent outing 4-1 against Rotherham United - following the appointment of Slavisa Jokanovic.

And Holloway believes that the 'new manager bounce' will help Fulham, as they prepare to host Wednesday at the weekend.

"I've got a bee in my bonnet with Sheffield Wednesday - they let me down big style against Middlesbrough," Holloway said.

"I really like the way they play but Fulham will be buzzing around all over the place, like they were in the 4-1 win over Rotherham, looking to impress their new manager."

If Fulham were to beat Wednesday 3-1 it would be somewhat of an upset, given the two side's respective league positions.

Fulham are currently in 18th place in the Championship table, and despite their win over Rotherham they are only four points above the drop zone.

Wednesday, meanwhile, have put together a very impressive campaign - and they have only lost six of their first 24 matches.

The Owls are stationed just outside the play off spaces, as things stand, and they will be keen to prove Holloway wrong at the weekend.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/12/31/ian-holloway-predicts-fulham-v-sheffield-wednesday/?

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic keen to settle down at Fulham after managing in Serbia, Spain Israel, Thailand and Watford

The 47-year-old Serbian started his managerial career at Partizan Belgrade before joining Muangthong United, Levski Sofia, Hercules, Watford and Maccabi Tel Aviv

Slavisa Jokanovic

Slavisa Jokanovic is keen to settle down at Fulham after being in charge of five clubs since 2012 prior to his move to Craven Cottage.

The 47-year-old Serbian started his managerial career at Partizan Belgrade in 2007 before joining Muangthong United, Levski Sofia, Hercules, Watford and Maccabi Tel Aviv.

He spent six months in Israel after leaving Vicarage Road before the lure of the Championship became too great with Fulham.

Jokanovic said: "I am happy with my life and I am looking for some kind of stability too. This is a great place, great club, great city.

"I signed for 18 months. I expect I can find this stability and stay where I am here. If I find this stability, I can find stability in my personal life too."

He added: "I lead an interesting life. I am working in many places. I try and find my place in this job, what I am doing now.

"This is my way. I try one side then another side. It's a more positive situation, especially after this last year working in England and in Tel Aviv. This is life.

"I'm journeying many places these last few years. I'm working in football around the world. Football exists around the world too. The best football is here right now. I decide to make this last step in this last few days."

The Championship is not seen as a place to go to for stability with nearly half the sides in the second tier changing their managers so far this season, but this doesn't concern Jokanovic.

He explained: "It's not stable like before. It's more stable than other places. Football is living here. It's not in other places.

"The best place for managers can find in this moment is right here. These are nice words. Now I am under pressure and people are going to observe me.

"I believe in myself. I'll push very hard, I'll push my team and myself and this is the target.

"The other side of it can be true but I want to stay many years here. I arrive here with full confidence for the possibility for making important things."

Jokanovic will be joined at Fulham by Alberto Escobar and Javier Pereira.

He said: "I come here with Alberto Escobar. We arrived yesterday. My first assistant is going to arrive next Saturday after the Sheffield Wednesday game."

Jokanović's first match in charge is this Saturday (2 January) when Fulham take on Sheffield Wednesday at Craven Cottage in a 3pm kick-off.

Tickets for the match are on sale now from £25 adults and £15 juniors. All prices increase by £5 on matchday, so secure your seat in advance.

To purchase tickets visit: www.fulhamfc.com/tickets, by phone on: 0843 208 1234 (option 2), or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-keen-settle-down-10668967?

WhiteJC

Sheffield Wednesday: Carlos confident Owls will stay the course

Line-up changes have undoubtedly provided the week's biggest talking point at Sheffield Wednesday.

Naming arguably the player on the best run of form in Fernando Forestieri among the substitutes for a trip to the league leaders is always going to split opinion.

It is a topic of conversation Owls head coach Carlos Carvalhal clearly has no time for.

He was more than a little affronted when his trend of making changes was brought up yesterday.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with Carvalhal's selection policy, he is confident his methods have helped set his side up well for the second half of the season, as they look to push into the top six.

In fact, he believes some of Wednesday's rivals in the upper reaches of the Championship are already struggling from the strain.

"I look to the players, and even though we have small problems right now, we do not have any player in our team who has overtrained," he said.

"We don't feel we have one player who can say they are tired in this moment because they did a lot of games and will probably have problems in the future.

"All of them, they are with full energy to go into the second part of the season.

"We can feel this in our players. And we have done this coming from down to up in our form.

"I must tell you that it is happening the opposite for some teams.

"I believe some of my colleagues in the competition have players who have been overtraining and this is starting to affect the individual and the quality of the performance.

"We can check the last six or eight games. Some teams are starting to lose more games than they usually do.

"Stabilisation is important and this full energy we are feeling at this moment can be very important to the second half of the season."

After a slow start to the campaign, Wednesday have progressed well to head to Fulham for their first game of 2016 sitting seventh in the Championship, four points off sixth spot.

Given the rate of progress, Carvalhal expects the Owls to be stronger in the second half of the campaign.

He said: "I do think we can do better than we did in the first half of the season.

"In the first seven games, we were not complete.

"It was a new coach bringing new ideas that were very different to the players.

"We received new players also in this time.

"When we had all the players we have now, after the Bolton match, we felt more complete.

"We did better and better. Some games better than others but usually with good football.

"It means that if we continue to do what we are doing in the second half, we are in a good position.

"In this challenge, we will win, we will draw and we will lose.

"But as I have said before, I believe the balance in this competition is very important.

"Don't be euphoric when we win, don't be under pressure when you lose. Keep your feet on the floor.

"We have expectations we can do better in the second half than the first."

Carvalhal is expecting a tough test in the opening game of 2016 with Fulham boosted by the arrival of new head coach Slavisa Jokanovic, for whom Saturday's match will be his first in charge at Craven Cottage.

And Carvalhal is also confident the game will deliver goals with their hosts holding the Championship's top scoring and conceding rates .

He said: "I think Fulham is the team that has scored the most goals in the competition and we have scored the fourth most.

"They also concede goals as well so it will be an interesting game in my opinion.

"I think both teams can score.

"They have a new coach and with a new coach the players will come with new energy.

"They want to show their abilities to him.

"But this is something we have lived with in the past. I think two or three times we have played in these kind of conditions.

"We understand it and it means we will be more focused and with more energy than normal because Fulham will play like this, I am absolutely sure.

"It will be a tough game."

Read more: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/sheff-weds/sheff-weds-news/sheffield-wednesday-carlos-confident-owls-will-stay-the-course-1-7651662#ixzz3vzFVCLb2

WhiteJC

Sheffield Wednesday Factfile

Fulham kick-off 2016 with a Sky Bet Championship fixture against Sheffield Wednesday at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

The opposition

Wednesday have exceeded all expectations this season and ended 2015 sitting seventh in the table, four points off the Play-Off places.

Things didn't get off to a great start under new boss Carlos Carvalhal, with the Owls winning just once in their opening seven matches, but an eight-game unbeaten run – which included five victories – saw them rocket up the standings.

Wins haven't been as frequent of late, but they did send both Wolverhampton Wanderers and Birmingham City home from Hillsborough empty-handed, prior to their 1-0 loss at Middlesbrough on Monday.

Team news

Defensive injuries are Carvalhal's main concern going into Saturday, with Tom Lees and former Fulham loanee Michael Turner both expected to miss out. Top scorer Fernando Forestieri started on the bench at the Riverside, but is likely to come back into the starting XI at the weekend.

Tickets

Tickets are still available for supporters to buy on General Sale, priced from £25 for adults and £15 for juniors.

Weather

It is expected to be cold and wet in Fulham on Saturday, with temperatures of around 10 degrees.

Coral match odds

Fulham: 8/5

Draw: 12/5

Sheffield Wednesday: 13/8

Last time we met

A trio of headed goals earned Wednesday a 3-2 win when the sides met at Hillsborough back in September. Forestieri nodded his team in front early on only for Jamie O'Hara to volley in the equaliser, but Lees was on target soon after to ensure his side went into the break in front. Five minutes after the restart Turner gave the Owls a two-goal lead, before Cairney scored a header of his own to get Fulham back in it. Dan Burn came close to an equaliser late on, but Wednesday held firm to secure the points.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/january/01/sheffield-wednesday-factfile?

WhiteJC

Jokanović: Simple Decision

Slaviša Jokanović did not need the idea of Fulham to be sold to him prior to his appointment as Head Coach.

He had discussions with Chairman Shahid Khan and Chief Football Officer Mike Rigg, but he admitted the decision to come to SW6 was an easy one.

"For me, it's one of the more important English clubs and it didn't need explaining too much, I understand the situation," he stated. "We know what the situation is and our obligation is to try and push this project up.

"I am ready and I spoke with the Owner, I spoke with Mike, and I didn't have any dilemma. It's the right place for me.

"The decision to come here was very simple because I believe it's a great opportunity for me. I'm going to continue to learn, I'm still a young man in this job. I still need to learn so many things, I'm going to continue learning all my life."

He continued: "I am looking for stability too. This is a great place, a great Club, a great city. I've signed for one year and a half and I expect I can find stability here and stay many years.

"15 years ago I played in this stadium [Craven Cottage]. I've known Fulham all my life. Fulham is one of the more historical, more important English clubs. It's an amazing place.

"It's a great choice, I am very happy that I am here. What I want is to try and put them in the right way and get this team, this Club, to a better level than it is right now."

The Whites' vulnerability at set-plays has been well highlighted this season, and as well as tightening up in defence, Jokanović wants to be more effective in dead ball situations at the other end of the pitch, too.

"First of all, we don't need to be scared," he said. "We conceded 17 goals from set-pieces and that's enough for staff to be scared!

"We need to try to be more concentrated and more strong in this situation, and be real men. Strategy at set-pieces is an important part of the football game and we definitely need to improve defensive set-pieces.

"The same with offensive set-pieces, we don't score any goals from corners and free-kick [routines], and now it's time for us to try and improve ourselves.

"Now I am under pressure and people are going to observe whether I am good or not. I believe in myself and I will push very hard. I want to improve my team, I want to improve myself personally – this is the target."

Tickets for Jokanović's first game in charge on Saturday are still available to buy, priced from £25 adults and £15 juniors.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/january/01/jokanovic-simple-decision?

WhiteJC

First Of Two Games V Fulham

Happy New Year and we welcome in 2016 with a trip to Craven Cottage, Fulham, in the first of two games against the Cottagers this weekend.

Much has been made this week of the manager's team selection at Middlesbrough. Perhaps Carlos did not realise before he took the job here that our fan base has a sizable loud element of 'The Football Manager' generation who know best. Who know about tactics and little things like fatigue. My own opinion of the Boro selection is it could have been managed better.

Carvalhal didn't need to mention it following the Birmingham game, it came across as the white flag being waved before even traveling up there but look the bottom line is our manager knows his players best, certainly better than Carlton Palmer. Palmer, who's estimation with our fan base goes down with every dig at this regime and every mention of his former Southampton colleague Stuart Gray, was a superb player for us, a valuable cog in the best Wednesday team of my lifetime, but his constant diatribe is becoming tedious.

Anyway, on to this week and the first of consecutive games against Fulham who no doubt buoyed by the appointment of Slaviša Jokanović destroyed Rotherham United this week.

Owls Team News

We should be back to full strength. I expect a very similar team to the one that took to the field against Birmingham with the exception being a late check on Sam Hutchinson. If the popular former Chelsea man fails to make it, I expect Vincent Sasso to line up in defence with Loovens. Westwood will be assessed before the game.

Owls possible starting XI

Westwood, Hunt, Sasso, Loovens, Pudil, Bannan, Wallace, Lee, Forestieri, Hooper, Nuhiu

Fulham team news

The Cottager's new gaffer Slavisa Jovanovic is likely to start with striker Cauley Woodrow up front this weekend alongside Ross McCormack against the Wednesday following his brace against Rotherham in midweek.

Midfielders Scott Parker and Tom Cairney should also retain their places. The win against The Millers was Fulham's first win in 10 games.

Jokanovic said on his appointment: 'I need to concentrate on what is in front of me at Fulham. It's an important club with many supporters who want
improvement.

'I am at Fulham. I am happy with my life. I am very excited because I am here and Fulham gave me the chance to work for this club.'

Fulham last time out v Rotherham

Lonergan, Fredericks, Stearman, Burn, Ream; Cairney (O'Hara 87), Parker (Smith 80), Hyndman, Kacaniklic (Pringle 72); McCormack, Woodrow.

Subs not used: Lewis, Garbutt, Hutchinson, Mattila.

So, we were battered 4-0 despite a half decent start to the game before the opening goal, with Stuart Gray lamenting: "We are not ruthless enough. The worrying thing is that we are not putting the ball in the net and giving our defence a breather.

"We have to have more desire to score, if you don't convert the chances it will come back to bite you. But I can't keep saying that every week."

Final thought

Certainly a tougher game than it was 2 weeks ago. Stuart Gray will have them well drilled and hard to break down but I fancy us to end this away game problem we seem to have. When you have match winners like Forrestieri and Hooper you have to think we'll have too much for Fulham.

We'll win 3-1, stick a quid on one of our centre backs to score after Michael Turner scored against them at Hillsborough earlier this season.

https://owlsonline.com/?page=news&news_id=1552

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic wants Fulham to maintain attacking edge but knows Whites must improve at defending set pieces

The Whites are the Championship's top goalscorers with 40 goals this season but also have the joint-second worst defensive record, shipping 42

Slavisa Jokanovic

Slavisa Jokanovic is looking to keep Fulham as an exciting team going forward but knows they have to tighten up in defence.

The Whites are the Championship's top goalscorers with 40 goals this season but also have the joint-second worst defensive record, shipping 42 already this term, a fact the Serbian referred to as strange.

Over the course of 2015, Fulham have had just two 0-0 draws in the league, against Middlesbrough and Millwall, and 13 occasions where only one team has scored.

You have to go back to the first game of the year for the last 0-0 at Craven Cottage, coming against Wolves in the FA Cup.

Ross McCormack celebrates with team mates

Fans have come to expect goals from their side and Jokanovic wants that to continue but without the frustration of conceding.

He said: "Fulham have strange numbers. Generally football is numbers but mathematics is very simple.

"If you try and observe it's many strange things. Fulham score more goals than teams in the Championship but conceded more goals.

"Fulham made five fouls. This is very strange for a Championship team. If you compare how many times Fulham have shot at goal. It's a strange number too.

"Generally, this team have quality goalscorers and offensive players. We need to find the balance.

"We don't have the balance. We're a little bit confused and need to play football with more guarantees.

"Generally, I am not a coach who prefers one system or another. I try and find the best solution for my team.

"When I find a solution I can change the schedule to help my team. If you're going to defend and attack. I generally find a way for us to win the points."

Defensive woe: Set pieces have caused problems for Fulham

Defending set pieces has been Fulham's Achilles heel all season and the Whites have shipped 17 goals from them so far this campaign. The top two of Middlesbrough and Derby have conceded less this season.

And Jokanovic knows this must be corrected as a matter of urgency.

He added: "Yes, we intend to work on it. We've conceded 17 goals from set pieces. That is enough.

"We need to be more concentrated and more strong in this situation and be real men.

"Strategy at set pieces is important and we need to improve defensive set pieces and offensive ones. We've not scored any goals from a corner or a free kick. We need to try and improve ourselves."

Jokanović's first match in charge is tomorrow (2 January) when Fulham take on Sheffield Wednesday at Craven Cottage in a 3pm kick-off.

Tickets for the match are on sale now from £25 adults and £15 juniors. All prices increase by £5 on matchday, so secure your seat today.

To purchase tickets visit: www.fulhamfc.com/tickets , by phone on: 0843 208 1234 (option 2), or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-wants-fulham-maintain-10668995?