watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Pitch Side LED Advertising...

Started by Andy Crysell, August 06, 2010, 12:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Crysell

Does anyone else find it distracting/irritating too?  You, know, those animated/LED ads (where we used to have just hoardings).  When I'm watching a game (especially on the telly), they really get on my nerves. 

I know it's all done to squeeze an extra few bob out of advertisers, but don't clubs give a monkey's about the quality of the fans' experience.  I guess the next thing we'll get thrust on us is on-pitch ads, like the American football, and the cricket.

Rupert

Er...no?

I don't tend to watch footie on the telly, only on the odd occasion that we're on, at the game live, no, honestly don't find it to be a problem. If anything it can be amusing when the bookies flash up their latest odds for somebody scoring the next goal or whatever, especially if they reckon whoever is on the bench is likely, it's like they're trying to gee the manager up into making a change.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

TonyGilroy

I used to hate it live or on TV and complained when Fulham installed it. I soon got used to it though and now don't notice it which probably means I'm hooked subliminaly and buy all the products.

FC Silver Fox

I'm with you, Andy. Ok to use modern technology for advertising but it shouldn't be flashing or have moving objects (e.g. cars) going along the board. It must be distracting for the players too,  especially when the ball gets seen on that moving,coloured, flashing background.
Who cares about the football nowadays anyway?  Its just about business and making money. (that's your cue for a moan, Beamer).
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Huge

Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 06, 2010, 08:25:15 AM

I used to hate it live or on TV and complained when Fulham installed it. I soon got used to it though and now don't notice it which probably means I'm hooked subliminaly and buy all the products.

No point in complaining to FFC, they (like all Clubs in the UK) are contracted to "Sports Revolution" who do pitchside and poster advertising in the grounds. the introduction is beneficial to us really. It creates the ability to get more than one advertiser on board thus creating more revenue for us. seconds on those boards cost a lot of money.particularly if the game is on air.
Sorry this is the industry i work in, not sports revolution but similar.
The Dude abides

Burt

Cant say it overly bothers me, but as I sit in the JH stand it may not be as distracting as if I were sitting in the riverside stand...

tingtawng

yes really terrible as they change so fast its a major irritation and distraction .slower speed is ok ,but at the moment its MANIC !the players must find it bad too
IN SVEN VE TVUST

boxhockcycsock

I've gotten used to it. I am not a big fan, but at least it's better than in some leagues where they superimpose adverts on the grass while the play is going on. That's the worst!  :014:
Time is blind.
Make sure in the parking lot of life, you do not take it's handicapped spot because then you'll be occupying time's space, the ticket for which is being thrown into a wormhole.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

We have had either rotating advertising or LED on all three sides of the pitch (other than the Riverside stand which is not captured as much on TV, due to the main camera being above this stand) for nearly a decade.

I can only just remember the Hitchcocks Timber, Davel Autos, Fulham Chronicle  and GMB static boards of the 90's...

ron

Let's go back to the old enamelled Rizla and Bovril adverts nailed up at the pitch side.

I even remember Tosh mistiming a cross and knocking one off the fence at the Hammersmith End........

epsomraver

What about Bjarne Goldbaek hitting the pizza hut clock! thats going back in time!

tingtawng

you notice on TV games where they have static signs you remember them and can see the phone numbers and web addys but on rapidly moving signs all you see is a fluttering signage ,complete waste of time for the advertisers .even when you have stopped looking at the game you can still see the signs in your minds eye .
IN SVEN VE TVUST

Lighthouse

NO IT DOESN'T BOTHER MEBUT IT BOVVERS ME
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope