Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Holders on January 21, 2016, 04:42:52 PM
Quote from: The Old Count on January 21, 2016, 04:06:49 PM
Not a mention of Malcolm Webster. 

I wonder why!!!!

He did give the defence a boost when he first arrived and was an improvement on Seymour.
If my memory is correct he helped steady the defence and helped tighten it up in his first season but was liable to drop the ball now and again which is not  a good trait.
Much maligned but his record is pretty good in comparison to others.

I'm often amazed that Seymour gets a good appraisal in some quarters, I never rated him, I wonder if his bravery and shot stopping style impressed people.
He couldn't usurp Macedo when he was obviously past his best, and when he did take over he never looked solid enough to make the position his own.

One of the worst keepers at FFC I've seen.

Andy S

I have to say I disagree about Seymour. He was a member of a poor defence and his confidence was eventually shot to bits His career was eventually ended by injury at a very young age. But yes in my opinion he was a good keeper.

Holders

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on January 21, 2016, 07:22:42 PM
Quote from: Holders on January 21, 2016, 04:42:52 PM
Quote from: The Old Count on January 21, 2016, 04:06:49 PM
Not a mention of Malcolm Webster. 

I wonder why!!!!

He did give the defence a boost when he first arrived and was an improvement on Seymour.
If my memory is correct he helped steady the defence and helped tighten it up in his first season but was liable to drop the ball now and again which is not  a good trait.
Much maligned but his record is pretty good in comparison to others.

I'm often amazed that Seymour gets a good appraisal in some quarters, I never rated him, I wonder if his bravery and shot stopping style impressed people.
He couldn't usurp Macedo when he was obviously past his best, and when he did take over he never looked solid enough to make the position his own.

One of the worst keepers at FFC I've seen.

Webster was the worst keeper I've seen at Fulham by a country mile. He could, single-handedly, snatch a draw from the jaws of victory. I remember a newspaper headline "Webster's errors foil Fulham". Every time a cross came over the Hammersmith end would collectively hold its breath and sigh with relief if Webster should happen to claim it. Often he didn't. He was short, so not good for high balls but did compensate for this by his width. Eventually, Mellor was bought and, whilst far from perfect as the '75 cup final showed, was a vast improvement on Webster. He kept clean sheets for his first few games. Then, when he did eventually let one in, the Hammersmith end ironically chanted "Webster, Webster". Mellor kicked the ball upfield for the restart,  turned around and gave us a huge smile - he got the joke.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria