watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Patrick Roberts

Started by alfie, January 20, 2016, 05:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose

players like roberts have a big decision and are often badly advised.

At his age he can, and did move to a big club where he will likely be drowned in the sea of big name talent, so never get a chance to develop. But he will get a good contract with lots of money.

OR
he could have stayed at a club like ours, likely got some significant game time in the next year or two and become a better player for when he moved next. The problem with this option is, maybe he wouldn't have been picked because he is small and/or injury. If I would have been his dad, I would have absolutely told him to stay put for at least one more season, better to play first team footbasll than no team football.

Dirk Lehmann

He isn't playing 'no team football'. He's played in the youth Champions League, for the Manchester City first team and is training day to day with some of the best players in the World. I'm no expert, but that could very easily be as advantageous for his development as a season playing for Championship also-rans.

BlaWhiArmyyyyyy

Quote from: Dirk Lehmann on January 29, 2016, 02:45:23 PM
He isn't playing 'no team football'. He's played in the youth Champions League, for the Manchester City first team and is training day to day with some of the best players in the World. I'm no expert, but that could very easily be as advantageous for his development as a season playing for Championship also-rans.

This is one of the things that some people ignore. Yes he's not exposed to first team football, but learning from the likes of Silva, Yaya, Navas, Aguero etc is probably going to develop him more than playing with the likes of Parker, Kaca, RMc and against an Ipswich 11. He's young and he will develop. He is also receiving top coaching at City.

The only thing that will kill his career is if he doesnt leave at the correct time. If hes had no first team football by 20-21 then yes he should look at moving on. Unfortunately alot of English players think theyre better than they actually are and stay for far too long just because its a big club...Rodwell, Johnson John Bostock and Scott Sinclair are a few to name. Oxlade Chamberlain is another heading that way.

fulhamben

I doubt the under 21s train with the first team
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

nose

I know that but profundly disagree. When a player is as talented as roberts plays a bit part role in the juniors he is not progressing. If he was A.N. Other you would be correct but a player like roberts fundamentaly needs to play first team football,even in a lower league, to ensure his psyche and character develops. he needs to play competitive football with experienced 'big boys' not wannabe kids.

He is likely shooting himself in the foot IMO,. as I said if i was his dad I would have advised differently.

But as somebody else said, he has left so I am not that concerned, just disapointed that another young talented english player will probably go to waste.

fulhamben

Quote from: nose on January 29, 2016, 03:19:11 PM

I know that but profundly disagree. When a player is as talented as roberts plays a bit part role in the juniors he is not progressing. If he was A.N. Other you would be correct but a player like roberts fundamentaly needs to play first team football,even in a lower league, to ensure his psyche and character develops. he needs to play competitive football with experienced 'big boys' not wannabe kids.

He is likely shooting himself in the foot IMO,. as I said if i was his dad I would have advised differently.

But as somebody else said, he has left so I am not that concerned, just disapointed that another young talented english player will probably go to waste.
also makes me laugh when every states what a great youth system city have, can anyone remember who the last player to come through there academy was? My guess would be micah Richards

nose

Quote from: fulhamben on January 29, 2016, 03:27:20 PM

also makes me laugh when every states what a great youth system city have, can anyone remember who the last player to come through there academy was? My guess would be micah Richards

actually that is true. What do we mean by a great youth sytem, for me it means getting youngsters and then bringing them into the first team. That does not happen there so hiow is that so good, and he is not a product of their youth system, it is ours!

Dirk Lehmann

What evidence is there that playing first team football for a low quality side in a low quality league better prepares players for top flight football? I don't know the answer but I certainly wouldn't be so imposing with my view as you have been. Each player develops differently but I don't necessarily buy into the whole 'develops character' thing.

To the poster that made the comment about not training with the first team....nonsense. It's been heavily publicised that he is training with the first team.

fulhamben

Quote from: Dirk Lehmann on January 29, 2016, 03:48:07 PM

What evidence is there that playing first team football for a low quality side in a low quality league better prepares players for top flight football? I don't know the answer but I certainly wouldn't be so imposing with my view as you have been. Each player develops differently but I don't necessarily buy into the whole 'develops character' thing.

To the poster that made the comment about not training with the first team....nonsense. It's been heavily publicised that he is training with the first team.
really, I'm suprised at that. So he trains with them every day then goes off with the 21s when they have a game.

Dirk Lehmann

Quote from: fulhamben on January 29, 2016, 03:53:37 PM

really, I'm suprised at that. So he trains with them every day then goes off with the 21s when they have a game.

"I get to train with first team players such as Sergio Aguero and David Silva every day.

"They are top top people on and off the pitch, they are world class players and training with the first team has helped me improve and learn each day which you need to be doing.

"I am just really enjoying my football at the minute."

Quote from Roberts. I wouldn't be so quick to criticise his choice to move, and I certainly think it's out of order to criticise his Father.

fulhamben

Quote from: Dirk Lehmann on January 29, 2016, 03:55:10 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on January 29, 2016, 03:53:37 PM

"I get to train with first team players such as Sergio Aguero and David Silva every day.

"They are top top people on and off the pitch, they are world class players and training with the first team has helped me improve and learn each day which you need to be doing.

"I am just really enjoying my football at the minute."

Quote from Roberts. I wouldn't be so quick to criticise his choice to move, and I certainly think it's out of order to criticise his Father.
when was this Though? Before or after he got dropped to the 21s? And I didn't criticise his move, Roberts is dead to me and I couldn't give a flying f1#? About him. You are either a fulham player or not. I criticised citys youth set up as they don't bring players through

nose

it is not an absolute, your face has to fit but say beckham and Kane off the top of my head.. others.... it doesn't work for everyone and you are better playing with your own team..... but first team football is the best training in terms of playing with 'men' and not boys, players that have achieved something. it's my opinion and in his case because of his size i think it would really do him good... not an exact science.

Lighthouse

He is joining Celtic on loan thus ending any hope of Fulham getting a pay out if he joined a Championship Club
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

fulhamben

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 29, 2016, 05:27:06 PM
He is joining Celtic on loan thus ending any hope of Fulham getting a pay out if he joined a Championship Club
thus ending the debate about playing lower standard football over training with better players too

J

He is apparently close to confirming a loan to Celtic for 18 months, so should get a lot of 1st team football there - Celtic pushed for this as they wanted someone who could contribute to their Champions League qualification over the summer rather than just a 6 month loan so will get decent exposure at that level (assuming they qualify!).

Also jumping back Ben as far as I am aware he has always been listed / considered part of the 1st team squad (even though he has been making appearances for the other teams) - he's still listed here under 1st team https://www.mcfc.co.uk/Teams/First-team - though for actually getting into the squad on match day my understanding is that it has generally been between him and Iheanacho, who has pushed ahead of Roberts over the course of the season.

copthornemike

I wish Roberts well - the Fulham youth system served him well and in return Fulham appear to have got a good financial return.

Unfortunately I do not think staying with the club would have developed him any more whilst we are in our current turmoil.

Training alongside high class players like Aguero will help him realise what he has to do to reach their standard - ultimately it is Patrick Roberts who will decide where he ends up. He has the skill - the question is does he have the long term dedication and application which ultimately the best players have.

A loan to Celtic meanwhile would probably be an excellent way to exerience first team football whilst he contimues to mature.