watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I live in Milton Keynes

Started by The Swan, January 31, 2016, 03:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

So todays FA Cup game is one that I want Chelsea to lose and for MK Dons to lose.

I know that can't happen so when I watch the game on TV later I will be cheering for  draw so the MK Dons have to play another game.

I have lived in Milton Keynes since 1973, so when Wimbledon were bought out by so called football experts I thought that was the end of them. Milton Keynes jumped in and said that they would give Wimbledon a home to play.
They moved out here 12 years ago. At that time there were plenty of teams in the local leagues who with a bit of money could have played their way into the Football League.

I hate MK Dons with a passion.

Even their supporters sing this song.' No one likes us and we don't care.'

The Swan

dannyboi-ffc

I'm not a fan because of what they represent. If they dropped the Dons I might stomach them a bit more. But the fact AFC Wimbledon are now an established football league club and MK still have the cheek to call themselves Dons is a joke.

IMO they will never be a proper football club but losing the Dons would maybe change that slightly.  I hope Chelsea batter them so that their confidence is shattered. A draw will only give them confidence
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Mince n Tatties

Well I suppose someone has to live
in Milton Keynes.. :005:

The Swan

Mince and Tatties.

I live in Milton Keynes, but travel to watch Fulham play every home game.

Have been a season ticket holder for about 18 years. have supported Fulham since 1961.

Come and pay a visit to Milton Keynes.
The Swan

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: The Swan on January 31, 2016, 06:19:28 PM
Mince and Tatties.

I live in Milton Keynes, but travel to watch Fulham play every home game.

Have been a season ticket holder for about 18 years. have supported Fulham since 1961.

Come and pay a visit to Milton Keynes.

It was a joke Mr Swan.
I'm sure it's very nice where you are..

copthornemike

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 31, 2016, 03:21:47 PM
I'm not a fan because of what they represent. If they dropped the Dons I might stomach them a bit more. But the fact AFC Wimbledon are now an established football league club and MK still have the cheek to call themselves Dons is a joke.

IMO they will never be a proper football club but losing the Dons would maybe change that slightly.  I hope Chelsea batter them so that their confidence is shattered. A draw will only give them confidence
Your wish jas been granted Dannyboi - Chelski battered them.

Rhys Lightning 63

It was 12 years ago and the hysteria about franchising was just that, hysteria. The club weren't wanted in their own town so they moved somewhere where they were wanted. Since they moved there MK has got a great stadium and surrounding complex, they've created local jobs and do a ton of work in the community.
But I guess some would just prefer the club die on it's arse than any good come from a bad situation.

P.S - Not my words, those of someone on FT316 (a Facebook page). But I echo his sentiments 
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Fulham76

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 31, 2016, 03:23:15 PM

A typical comment from someone who has never been to MK!

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on January 31, 2016, 06:25:22 PM
It was 12 years ago and the hysteria about franchising was just that, hysteria. The club weren't wanted in their own town so they moved somewhere where they were wanted. Since they moved there MK has got a great stadium and surrounding complex, they've created local jobs and do a ton of work in the community.
But I guess some would just prefer the club die on it's arse than any good come from a bad situation.

P.S - Not my words, those of someone on FT316 (a Facebook page). But I echo his sentiments 

And they moved to MK Dons to do a favour for the people of Milton Keynes or to do a favour for the supporters from Wimbledon? It is irrelevant what they do for the community and young players. That isn't and will never be the reason they are despised.

Fact is the day Wimbledon was no longer able to belong in Wimbledon or at least London, it ceased to exist. Especially when the name was changed to MK which doesn't represent Wimbledon, it represents Milton Keynes. Essentially they are only able to achieve and do what they are for the MK community because they stole a football club.

Imagine Fulham moving to Northampton and becoming Northampton Cottagers. Would you still accept that as Fulham? Because I certainly wouldn't. 

The thing that angers me most is the fact football and the FA have allowed this fake club to mock Wimbledon. I don't believe there is a genuine Wimbledon fan who supports MK Dons and the fact AFC Wimbledon are now an established football club backed and created by Wimbledon supporters makes the Dons in their name even more of an insult.

When they drop the Dons name I will tolerate them. Maybe even come round to the idea eventually. But to call themselves MK Dons is a piss take and a constant reminder that they stole Wimbledon from its fans.

They should be Milton Keynes FC. And any fulham fan who thinks that should be up for debate doesn't appreciate how close Fulham were to being like MK Dons.

Fulham Park Rangers. Know your history

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Fulham76 on January 31, 2016, 06:40:24 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 31, 2016, 03:23:15 PM

A typical comment from someone who has never been to MK!

Read the above,it was a joke
And I've often been to MK..

copthornemike

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 31, 2016, 06:41:36 PM

And they moved to MK Dons to do a favour for the people of Milton Keynes or to do a favour for the supporters from Wimbledon? It is irrelevant what they do for the community and young players. That isn't and will never be the reason they are despised.

Fact is the day Wimbledon was no longer able to belong in Wimbledon or at least London, it ceased to exist. Especially when the name was changed to MK which doesn't represent Wimbledon, it represents Milton Keynes. Essentially they are only able to achieve and do what they are for the MK community because they stole a football club.

Imagine Fulham moving to Northampton and becoming Northampton Cottagers. Would you still accept that as Fulham? Because I certainly wouldn't. 

The thing that angers me most is the fact football and the FA have allowed this fake club to mock Wimbledon. I don't believe there is a genuine Wimbledon fan who supports MK Dons and the fact AFC Wimbledon are now an established football club backed and created by Wimbledon supporters makes the Dons in their name even more of an insult.

When they drop the Dons name I will tolerate them. Maybe even come round to the idea eventually. But to call themselves MK Dons is a piss take and a constant reminder that they stole Wimbledon from its fans.

They should be Milton Keynes FC. And any football fan who doesn't thinks that should be up for debate doesn't appreciate how close Fulham were to being like MK Dons.

I agree with most of your comments / sentiments Dannyboi.

But another point is that every other club has to climb through the leagues to reach the Championship. MK Dons effectively bought promotion. Their community efforts may well be laudible but it is in their interest to do so as they have had to develope their fanbase from scratch for the same reason, i.e. little o no history.

MK effectively bought several promotions

Rhys Lightning 63

They should be Milton Keynes FC. And any fulham fan who thinks that should be up for debate doesn't appreciate how close Fulham were to being like MK Dons.

Well I've always been in the mindset that just because a club moves it doesn't necessarily mean we hit the restart button on their history.

Part of Arsenal's history is the fact that they were established in Woolwich and subsequently moved. Man Utd used to be in the East part of Manchester (infact used to play on the site where The Etihad is now). West Ham are going to be moving next year, but we won't make them start their history again.

Maybe it's because I'm a fan of American sports and it's more common and accepted there. The St Louis Rams are moving BACK to L.A this summer, but they still have the history that was their team in L.A AND St Louis.

If we moved to Northampton, I wouldn't like it (because I only live 45 mins away, so home games would be a hassle), but I wouldn't go so far as to completely cut the club out of my life, say they abandoned me and hate them forever.

Fulham Park Rangers would have been merging with QPR, so that's a whole different story. (Although being born 5 years after the proposal and not knowing the full details, I may be missing something as to how everything would have been handled)

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on January 31, 2016, 06:53:51 PM

Well I've always been in the mindset that just because a club moves it doesn't necessarily mean we hit the restart button on their history.

Part of Arsenal's history is the fact that they were established in Woolwich and subsequently moved. Man Utd used to be in the East part of Manchester (infact used to play on the site where The Etihad is now). West Ham are going to be moving next year, but we won't make them start their history again.

Maybe it's because I'm a fan of American sports and it's more common and accepted there. The St Louis Rams are moving BACK to L.A this summer, but they still have the history that was their team in L.A AND St Louis.

If we moved to Northampton, I wouldn't like it (because I only live 45 mins away, so home games would be a hassle), but I wouldn't go so far as to completely cut the club out of my life, say they abandoned me and hate them forever.

Fulham Park Rangers would have been merging with QPR, so that's a whole different story. (Although being born 5 years after the proposal and not knowing the full details, I may be missing something as to how everything would have been handled)

Don't mean to patronise you but any Fulham fan who could accept Fulham permanently without Craven Cottage doesn't get Fulham for me. I would totally wipe myself of anything to do with the club if that happened and just keep my memories because it would never ever be the same and I would never feel the same way. It simply wouldn't be Fulham.

I think comparing a club with an FA Cup victory that was created in 1889 until 2004 with over 100 year history as Wimbledon moving outside of London. To Woolwich Arsenal who stayed in London but just moved 15 miles North with next to no history is a crazy comparison and has no legs for me. Likewise comparing West Ham who are simply moving Stadium across the road and staying in East London keeping the name West Ham United is again ridiculous to compare.

What about Spurs building a new ground or the fake Arsenal moving across the road to the Emirates from Highbury. It is in no way comparable.

And regardless of whether Fulham and Qpr were two different clubs merging makes no difference to the argument.  It is actually the only similar example I can think of. Wimbledon practically merged with the opportunity of a club in MK. So which is it? Are they MK, Wimbledon or a combination of both?

Wimbledon lost their club regardless of whether MK Dons pretend they didn't.  And that so very nearly happened to us. I was born in 88 so I wasn't born either. Irrelevant. 

You know who Johnny Haynes is don't you? Ask any fulham fan how devastating and painful that era was. There's nothing you shouldn't know about it. That's why I made such a big deal about Jimmy Hill when he died because if it wasn't for him and the Muddyman family we wouldn't have a club.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 31, 2016, 07:08:48 PM

Don't mean to patronise you but any Fulham fan who could accept Fulham permanently without Craven Cottage doesn't get Fulham for me. I would totally wipe myself of anything to do with the club if that happened and just keep my memories because it would never ever be the same and I would never feel the same way. It simply wouldn't be Fulham.

What if we built a new stadium in Bishops Park? Is there a certain limit to how far we could move until we 'stopped being Fulham'.

MikeW

Copthornmike .... be careful, very careful.  We bought our way into the Prem.  There can be no other description.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

The Swan

Mince N Tatties.

Sometimes I miss the joke. This time I did. Many thanks.
The Swan

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on January 31, 2016, 07:14:35 PM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 31, 2016, 07:08:48 PM

What if we built a new stadium in Bishops Park? Is there a certain limit to how far we could move until we 'stopped being Fulham'.

Realistically I don't think that could ever happen and I think you're being unfair because the whole argument is whether Wimbledon are still Wimbledon even though they don't even play in London and aren't called Wimbledon anymore.

Bishops Park is not only still in Fulham with the same postcode, literally next door but also an iconic bit of land that thousands of Fulham fans associate as being part of the club. We may not own it but if we're being honest, Bishops Park is part of the club and it's wonderful history and it is a big part of what makes us so unique with our location.

For me it still wouldn't be the same and I would gladly protest, chain myself to the black gates of the Cottage to try and stop it if it was suggested. Craven Cottage has always been Fulham and always will be.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: The Swan on January 31, 2016, 07:25:52 PM
Mince N Tatties.

Sometimes I miss the joke. This time I did. Many thanks.

:54:

copthornemike

Quote from: MikeW on January 31, 2016, 07:17:38 PM
Copthornmike .... be careful, very careful.  We bought our way into the Prem.  There can be no other description.
Different point completely Mike.

Yes MAF invested heavily (as other clubs have done so over the years) but my point is that FFC still had to get promoted league by league by winning games and having more points than most / all of the other competing clubs at the end of each promotion season.

Milton Keynes obtained a massive advantage in 2004 by starting off in League 1.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: copthornemike on January 31, 2016, 08:45:28 PM
Quote from: MikeW on January 31, 2016, 07:17:38 PM
Different point completely Mike.

Yes MAF invested heavily (as other clubs have done so over the years) but my point is that FFC still had to get promoted league by league by winning games and having more points than most / all of the other competing clubs at the end of each promotion season.

Milton Keynes obtained a massive advantage in 2004 by starting off in League 1.

Thats another reason why I suggested they stole a club from Wimbledon's fans whilst the new Wimbledon had to do it the proper way from scratch. The more I think about this argument the more angry I get that they are called MK Dons. That fixture earlier in the season was one I was looking forward to ticking off my list but when it came down to it I couldn't give them my money and I opted to miss it. And that is the only time ever I've stayed away from a Fulham game for non financial reasons

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]