more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I live in Milton Keynes

Started by The Swan, January 31, 2016, 03:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on January 31, 2016, 06:53:51 PM
Maybe it's because I'm a fan of American sports and it's more common and accepted there. The St Louis Rams are moving BACK to L.A this summer, but they still have the history that was their team in L.A AND St Louis.

I can tell you as an American when a sports team up and moves to another city it is not easily accepted by the fans of said team. 

I can tell you my father absolutely hates to this day the Milwaukee Brewers who moved in 1970 From Seattle where they used to be the Seattle Pilots.  He now supports the Seattle Mariners. 

I have also worked with people who have their favorite teams move like the Hartford Whalers from Connecticut to North Carolina or the as you say the LA Rams to Saint Louis.  Almost all of them now hate both the owners and the teams and wish them nothing but the worst of luck. 

There are a few who are the exception to the rule and still follow the teams they love even though they are in a different state and city.  For the most part though they are hated and despised. 

Fact is sports teams in the States only move for one reason now a days and that due to the franchise deciding that their stadium and facilities are no long good enough.  They want better, new modern facilities.  Latest case in point is the City of Atlanta in which both the professional baseball and American football franchises held the city for ransom demanding newer and better facilities.  In the end the city of Atlanta gave in  to the American football team but held out against the baseball team.  The American football team is getting a new stadium that will be a multi-use complex for both American football and a new real football team (soccer).  The baseball franchise said bye bye to the city and has moved down the road to another city and county.  That city and county are spending huge sums to get the baseball team. 

In the end though the local tax payers pay for the teams to move and gain nothing out of it. 

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Andy S

If we hadn't been plundered by a previous chairman we would have been very capable of getting there on our own. That is what is really unfair about statements like that. From where we were we were made smaller and worse off than almost any other football league club. We missed out on grants from government to redevelop the ground and all sorts. We missed out on promotion with Malcolm McDonald's team at a time when it was easier to get to the top league and stay there. who knows how good that team could, have been

BigbadBillyMcKinley

I had a friend at school who was one of the very few Wimbledon supporters. Possibly the only one in fact. When they "moved" to Milton Keynes he switched allegiances to AFC Wimbledon with a few years hiatus whilst it was being set up. MK Dons is not Wimbledon, end of. They have their own history and continue to make history as MK Dons. People know them as MK Dons and not as "formally Wimbledon"! I agree with Danny to an extent. The Dons name should be dropped as there is now even less of a connection with Wimbledon then there ever was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

RaySmith

They stole their identity and league status from another club miles away, and the awful thing is that they were allowed to get away with it.

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: love4ffc on January 31, 2016, 11:22:44 PM
Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on January 31, 2016, 06:53:51 PM
Maybe it's because I'm a fan of American sports and it's more common and accepted there. The St Louis Rams are moving BACK to L.A this summer, but they still have the history that was their team in L.A AND St Louis.

I can tell you as an American when a sports team up and moves to another city it is not easily accepted by the fans of said team. 

I can tell you my father absolutely hates to this day the Milwaukee Brewers who moved in 1970 From Seattle where they used to be the Seattle Pilots.  He now supports the Seattle Mariners. 

I have also worked with people who have their favorite teams move like the Hartford Whalers from Connecticut to North Carolina or the as you say the LA Rams to Saint Louis.  Almost all of them now hate both the owners and the teams and wish them nothing but the worst of luck. 

There are a few who are the exception to the rule and still follow the teams they love even though they are in a different state and city.  For the most part though they are hated and despised. 

Fact is sports teams in the States only move for one reason now a days and that due to the franchise deciding that their stadium and facilities are no long good enough.  They want better, new modern facilities.  Latest case in point is the City of Atlanta in which both the professional baseball and American football franchises held the city for ransom demanding newer and better facilities.  In the end the city of Atlanta gave in  to the American football team but held out against the baseball team.  The American football team is getting a new stadium that will be a multi-use complex for both American football and a new real football team (soccer).  The baseball franchise said bye bye to the city and has moved down the road to another city and county.  That city and county are spending huge sums to get the baseball team. 

In the end though the local tax payers pay for the teams to move and gain nothing out of it. 

By accepted I didn't mean by the fans in the particular cities, I just meant it is seen as common practice
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

The Swan

Well said Ray Smith.

All other clubs have to qualify to even get into the lower tier of the league.
The Swan

domprague

:plus one:
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 31, 2016, 06:41:36 PM
Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on January 31, 2016, 06:25:22 PM
It was 12 years ago and the hysteria about franchising was just that, hysteria. The club weren't wanted in their own town so they moved somewhere where they were wanted. Since they moved there MK has got a great stadium and surrounding complex, they've created local jobs and do a ton of work in the community.
But I guess some would just prefer the club die on it's arse than any good come from a bad situation.

P.S - Not my words, those of someone on FT316 (a Facebook page). But I echo his sentiments 

And they moved to MK Dons to do a favour for the people of Milton Keynes or to do a favour for the supporters from Wimbledon? It is irrelevant what they do for the community and young players. That isn't and will never be the reason they are despised.

Fact is the day Wimbledon was no longer able to belong in Wimbledon or at least London, it ceased to exist. Especially when the name was changed to MK which doesn't represent Wimbledon, it represents Milton Keynes. Essentially they are only able to achieve and do what they are for the MK community because they stole a football club.

Imagine Fulham moving to Northampton and becoming Northampton Cottagers. Would you still accept that as Fulham? Because I certainly wouldn't. 

The thing that angers me most is the fact football and the FA have allowed this fake club to mock Wimbledon. I don't believe there is a genuine Wimbledon fan who supports MK Dons and the fact AFC Wimbledon are now an established football club backed and created by Wimbledon supporters makes the Dons in their name even more of an insult.

When they drop the Dons name I will tolerate them. Maybe even come round to the idea eventually. But to call themselves MK Dons is a piss take and a constant reminder that they stole Wimbledon from its fans.

They should be Milton Keynes FC. And any fulham fan who thinks that should be up for debate doesn't appreciate how close Fulham were to being like MK Dons.

Fulham Park Rangers. Know your history

You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.