watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

nfr: Sky vs Virgin

Started by win-dup, February 04, 2016, 02:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

win-dup

Anybody have any experience of the Virgin tv/phone/broadband package?

Sky have announced yet another increase of £5 a month on my package with them - broadband, phone, sky sports package, HD - taking it up to £103.35 a month plus £9.55 for Sky Protect.

Virgin, who have been bombarding me for a year are offering all of the above for around £60 a month for the first year and then around £103 per month thereafter but including a ''free'' extra HD box

Not particularly bothered about broadband speed but wondered if anyone had experience of Virgin's services?

Many thanks

Bill2

Quote from: win-dup on February 04, 2016, 02:18:49 PM
Anybody have any experience of the Virgin tv/phone/broadband package?

Sky have announced yet another increase of £5 a month on my package with them - broadband, phone, sky sports package, HD - taking it up to £103.35 a month plus £9.55 for Sky Protect.

Virgin, who have been bombarding me for a year are offering all of the above for around £60 a month for the first year and then around £103 per month thereafter but including a ''free'' extra HD box

Not particularly bothered about broadband speed but wondered if anyone had experience of Virgin's services?

Many thanks
I quit Sky as they were always putting there price up and went to Virgin, surprise surprise they are also putting there price up. Only good thing is I get BT sport as part of package but that may have changed now.

I get my broadband and phone from another supplier so I only take TV.

rweller86

Sky Q launches this month, will be a bit pricier but UHD football next season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@rweller

H4usuallysitting

I've had both.....Sky does get interference with the picture if the weather is windy......with virgin you can record 3 programmes while watching another......my current package is Broadband & Phone from The Post Office (line rental = £144/year), and my monthly bill is £8......i have the very basic sky package £21:50/month, but will be getting rid of this in March and getting Freesat.......i'm also considering buying a box of tricks from that well known auction company that streams just about everything for free.................yep, i'm tight

Airfix

I have no direct experience of either (won't pay Sky a penny and Virgin don't cover my area) but FWIW, my mother had Virgin but had to switch to Sky when she moved house to a non-Virgin area.  She wishes she could have Virgin back.

Logicalman

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 04, 2016, 04:42:49 PM
I've had both.....Sky does get interference with the picture if the weather is windy......with virgin you can record 3 programmes while watching another......my current package is Broadband & Phone from The Post Office (line rental = £144/year), and my monthly bill is £8......i have the very basic sky package £21:50/month, but will be getting rid of this in March and getting Freesat.......i'm also considering buying a box of tricks from that well known auction company that streams just about everything for free.................yep, i'm tight

I think the correct term is frugal sir.

103 quid doesn't sound too bad. Over here, for the odd 300 channels (10 good 290 crap) + phone + HSI, I pay around 200 bucks a month. Unfortunately I need the HSI for my job, so that adds the pennies on each month, but add in 2 phone Cell service as well, and it's another 200 bucks a month to Verizon.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

One James stannard

I had a very good 12 month sky deal though Martin Lewis which is coming to an end this month so it's going to be time to haggle with sky otherwise I'm off to BT or just get free view with a recordable box. virgin unfortunately dont cover my postcode.
They are all rip of merchants really

bobbo

I've had both.....Sky does get interference with the picture if the weather is windy......with virgin you can record 3 programmes while watching another......my current package is Broadband & Phone from The Post Office (line rental = £144/year), and my monthly bill is £8......i have the very basic sky package £21:50/month, but will be getting rid of this in March and getting Freesat.......i'm also considering buying a box of tricks from that well known auction company
that streams just about everything for free.................yep, i'm tight
not tight at all, sounds sensible to me. I'm sure they play on people who don't understand all the workings and those who can't be bothered. I know I'm getting on now but my sky is 3 times what my mortgage was when I had it.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

The Cravenette

You can't get sky atlantic with virgin, they hold that back for sky customers only. Something to consider if you watch Game of Thrones or other such shows.

HillingdonFFC

Thinking of returning to Sky. Virgin sneakily put prices up after enticing you with good offers. Far more channels on Sky

CorkCity

Have been with both, would never go to SKY again. Will probably quit Virgin soon as they took over from UPC and scrapped the customer loyalty bonus.
Got the MXQ box and free to air. No bills, every channel including all sports, movies that are still in cinema and pay per view  sports, all free. Just need good broadband and it works perfectly.
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

win-dup

Thanks for all the advice.  The deciding factor may be (at least in Mrs Win-dup's view) how much mess Virgin will make bringing the cable in from under the front garden into the house.  I'll try getting Sky to reduce my subscription by quoting Virgin's offer for a start. Thanks again.

Airfix

CorkCity

Quote from: Airfix on February 05, 2016, 12:37:24 PM
Quote from: CorkCity on February 05, 2016, 11:59:18 AM
Got the MXQ box....

A what-de-what what?

Check it out Airfix, http://electrolite.ie/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=115

You get all the new films on Genesis or Phoenix, and Sky Movie Channels
All sports channels, BT, SKY, all Bein Sports, all sports channels worldwide.

Airfix

Quote from: CorkCity on February 05, 2016, 02:37:42 PM
Quote from: Airfix on February 05, 2016, 12:37:24 PM
Quote from: CorkCity on February 05, 2016, 11:59:18 AM
Got the MXQ box....

A what-de-what what?

Check it out Airfix, http://electrolite.ie/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=115

You get all the new films on Genesis or Phoenix, and Sky Movie Channels
All sports channels, BT, SKY, all Bein Sports, all sports channels worldwide.

Hmmmm, might need to investigate that! Thanks.

FFCBerks

I have both Sky+ HD and Virgin Media's HD/Tivo offering. The Virgin box is gathering dust in a cupboard as I only have it as it was cheaper than getting the broadband and phone from virgin on their own. Sky over virgin every time (for TV) BUT virgin's cable broadband beats the old Sky/BT/whoever offering hands down. I don't subscribe to any of the sports or movies on Sky, but have an Openbox in one room and a VU+ Solo2 in another which give me access to every Sky channel for the grand sum of £10 a year....

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Sky every time. Virgin have the best broadband without question, but their TV packages leave a lot to be desired. Hidden charges galore, and their customer services is a lot to be desired.

But it's like everything, personal choice it key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

H4usuallysitting

That's the box I was talking about - I understand you have to get it with KODI

CorkCity

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 05, 2016, 03:57:23 PM
That's the box I was talking about - I understand you have to get it with KODI

Mine came fully loaded, just plugged it in, HDMI to telly, put in WI-FI code,  works a treat.
€35 from Ali Express, had it over a year now no problems and updates itself.

Neil D

Quote from: The Cravenette on February 04, 2016, 08:46:57 PM
You can't get sky atlantic with virgin, they hold that back for sky customers only. Something to consider if you watch Game of Thrones or other such shows.
Some very good stuff on Sky Atlantic - that's why they put it there, then.  As a Virgin spoiler.