watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dan Burns defending ......

Started by colinwhite, February 08, 2016, 05:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinwhite

Dan has done pretty well in recent weeks , but he is still not good enough in my opinion . I am not saying that we have anyone better at present but for next year we need to have a seious rethink in that position.

I know alot of posters have been praising Dan, but I think he made 2 serious mistakes in saturdays game which cost  us a point , and could have cost all 3.
Derby`s freekick into the box resulting in their Cb hitting the bar was poor defending from us . Ok it was a good delivery  ,and Lonergan  should have claimed that ball ,but Burn was caught on the wrong side of his man and allowed the derby player  to get in front of him. This was school boy defending in my view, but we got away with it and his partial recovery probably stopped them getting a better header away .
Fot their goal I agree  with many that it was Ohara´ s man who scored , but  Burn´s body shape was wrong when the cross came in and he was ball watching . This may have partly been caused by Richards initially being out of position , but Dan has to be more aware of the impending danger, and pick up central runners coming into the box even if it wasnt his man . Defending zonally is fine until it comes  to being in your own box , because then its down to copingwith  ,or sensing the impending danger .
I know this is harsh critism of Dan , but if he wants to become the CB and captain we need then these are the type of situations that he should revel in . They should be his bread and butter . I am sure that Jokanovic is making him very aware of his weaknesses in these 2 situations.

filham

Yes all a bit harsh, Dan is about our best hope of holding that back four together and has had a run of good games.

colinwhite

I agree filham ,but as long as we are making these type of mistakes it is going to be near on impossible to keep clean sheets ,which makes it alot harder to win football matches.

grandad

Burn is our best defender, is still learning & will be the 1st name on the team sheet for a long time yet, I hope.
Where there's a will there's a wife

cmg

Yeah. Where are those Centre Backs who never make a mistake when you need them?

(I was going to say 'Managing Southampton' but even that wouldn't be totally true.)

Learning from them and minimising them is the best you can hope for.

Funky Fulham Dave

Quote from: grandad on February 08, 2016, 06:57:55 PM
Burn is our best defender, is still learning & will be the 1st name on the team sheet for a long time yet, I hope.

If Burn is our best centre-half than god help us.

And he's the "1st name on the team sheet for a long time", then welcome to Division One.

colinwhite

Agree if Burn is to be our best defender for a long time to come we have serious problems.

hovewhite

One plus !he gives every thing for the cause,you can't buy that!!
Of course you can say that doesn't matter,but he's still learning!!!!!

Carborundum

At the same age Brede Hangeland hadn't yet moved to Copenhagen and was about to blossom, no doubt because he tried hard and gave his career his all.  I see that in Dan Burn and am encouraged that SJ seems to like him.  There is every chance he will be our best defender for years to come and we might become very glad of it.

If one takes the view that every goal conceded, every opposition shot is evidence that our defenders are guilty of professional neglect laced with moral turpitude, then what sort of logic is that?  I love watching good defenders defend and groan when it goes wrong, but basically I'm in the stands because they are better than me and I'm there to support them. 

The Derby goal looked pretty special to me and Dan Burn's body shape didn't seem to play any part of it.  Thought both CBs handled aerial balls on an extremely windy day rather well. 

millsy

I agree Dan was wrong side when the ball arrived for the header that our keeper flapped at but would blame the full back and either Ince or O'Hara, who were both marking space when the two Derby players waltzed into the box for their equaliser.

They're not the best in our league but I thought our CBs on Saturday both played well and I like Stearman and Ream too. I really believe full-back is our problem on both sides, although beginning to see signs that Garbutt might be OK by the time we send him back to Everton!

colinwhite

Firstly we have been conceding goals all season , and although I believe and hope that Joka will eventually sort things out ,Burn needs to improve his awareness and positional nouse. He is still learning but ball watching is pretty basic . If he takes 2 steps towards their goalscorer then i dont think he would have scored .( He is a pro and my criticism is based on that ).
All the attitude in the world wont rectify poor defending and although we are a work in progress if we dont start keeping clean sheets soon then there can be little doubt that our defenders arent good enough.
What concerns me about both Burn and Amorbietta is that both want to attack the ball , and are not very astute when they end up in the stand off role.
I wish Burn was a better player , but I am just mot convinced .

colinwhite

Millsy, I am in complete agreement about our full-backs !

snarks

Not quite sure what Richards being out of position had to do with their goal, martin went down garbutt's flank to hook the cross over.

copthornemike

Am I right in thinking that Burns contract is scheduled to run out at the end of the season - hope I am wrong - and I am sure there will be no shortage of offers for him.

Chutney

Quote from: Statto on February 08, 2016, 09:31:41 PM
we had a thread on here a month ago where everyone agreed mccormack was our best player and then last week when we thought he was leaving someone told me he's not good enough for a side chasing promotion from the championship

we had a thread after steerman's first game saying how brilliant he was and now four months later i've just been told people knew he was rubbish as soon as they saw him and we should have signed paul mcshane (ffs)

the answer is football supporters are very fickle... burn is on form right now so he's popular but you're right, over the longer term he's shown he's not good enough 

Never said we should sign Paul McShane.
C O Y W

res

Quote from: colinwhite on February 08, 2016, 05:29:43 PM
Dan has done pretty well in recent weeks , but he is still not good enough in my opinion . I am not saying that we have anyone better at present but for next year we need to have a seious rethink in that position.

I know alot of posters have been praising Dan, but I think he made 2 serious mistakes in saturdays game which cost  us a point , and could have cost all 3.
Derby`s freekick into the box resulting in their Cb hitting the bar was poor defending from us . Ok it was a good delivery  ,and Lonergan  should have claimed that ball ,but Burn was caught on the wrong side of his man and allowed the derby player  to get in front of him. This was school boy defending in my view, but we got away with it and his partial recovery probably stopped them getting a better header away .
Fot their goal I agree  with many that it was Ohara´ s man who scored , but  Burn´s body shape was wrong when the cross came in and he was ball watching . This may have partly been caused by Richards initially being out of position , but Dan has to be more aware of the impending danger, and pick up central runners coming into the box even if it wasnt his man . Defending zonally is fine until it comes  to being in your own box , because then its down to copingwith  ,or sensing the impending danger .
I know this is harsh critism of Dan , but if he wants to become the CB and captain we need then these are the type of situations that he should revel in . They should be his bread and butter . I am sure that Jokanovic is making him very aware of his weaknesses in these 2 situations.

Lonergan doesn't like/isn't good at/claiming crosses so Burn comes into play as being the best centre back that we have at clearing high balls. He's good at that, Lonergan is good/very good at shot stopping, so the combination works. If we get a keeper who wants to personally command the box and collect the high balls/crosses, then Burn would not necessarily be the best choice. So the "best" centre back/centre back combination is partly down to the style of keeper.

Tonywa

[/quote]

Lonergan doesn't like/isn't good at/claiming crosses so Burn comes into play as being the best centre back that we have at clearing high balls. He's good at that, Lonergan is good/very good at shot stopping, so the combination works. If we get a keeper who wants to personally command the box and collect the high balls/crosses, then Burn would not necessarily be the best choice. So the "best" centre back/centre back combination is partly down to the style of keeper.
[/quote]

And another problem is that all our current goalkeepers seem to suffer from similar faults.  Decent shot-stoppers, but not commanding their area.

buxsen

love big dan. fully comitted and fulham proud. would rather he was captain than ross 049:gif

colinwhite

Agree that is why Dan is important to us now . Moving forward I dont think he will be considered good enough when the goalkeeping issue is sorted.

Wimbledon_White