https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (09/02/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 09, 2016, 08:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Derby County: Fulham boss feels first win not far away after Rams draw

Slavisa Jokanovic

SLAVISA Jokanovic believes his first win as Fulham boss is not far away following Saturday's Sky Bet Championship clash with Derby County.

Since the Serbian's arrival at Craven Cottage, the London outfit have gone six matches without a victory.

However, Jokanovic has seen signs of improvement, most recently in the 1-1 draw against the Rams.

"I'm a football coach and I'm only happy when we win the games," said the former Watford manager.

"I cannot be happy that we didn't win the game.

"We competed all game and tried to hold on to possession of the ball. We started to be brave and play some football with the ball.

"In my opinion, we have improved.

"We keep going and I believe we're going to find my first victory in the next game against QPR.

"I believe the whole football club – the staff, the fans, the players – have been trying to help me adapt since the first game.

"I need to continue to be positive and believe that our first victory is going to arrive next weekend."

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Fulham-boss-feels-win-far-away-Rams/story-28691946-detail/story.html#ixzz3zemYT99A
Follow us: @DerbyTelegraph on Twitter | derbytelegraph on Facebook

WhiteJC

Andy Lonergan pays tribute to young Fulham goalkeeper after crucial saves against Derby

The former Preston stopper raced out to deny Johnny Russell when the Rams frontman was clean through on goal before tipping Cyrus Christie's effort over the bar

Andy Lonergan of Fulham FC

Andy Lonergan paid tribute to young Fulham goalkeeper Jesse Joronen as one of the inspirations for his late saves against Derby.

The former Preston stopper raced out to deny Johnny Russell when the Rams frontman was clean through on goal before tipping Cyrus Christie's effort over the bar.

And the 32-year-old paid tribute to the young Finn for his ability in racing off his line when a striker is clean through.

"I worked on it when I was younger. I went away from it for a bit. With Martin Brennan. I give credit to Jesse Joronen and I've learnt from him," Lonergan said.

"I was thinking I've not had much to do here and the windy conditions weren't great for a goalkeeper, I felt I needed to do something.

"I'm pleased I contributed to a point because you can come off and it's 1-1 and it's not a waste of a game."

Saviour: Jesse Joronen

Lonergan hated playing in the wind and would prefer playing in torrential rain as it is so unpredictable.

"It's part of the job and it was so hard playing in the wind. It was blowing away from me. We've played well against two of the best teams in the league so it's a step in the right direction for us," he explained.

"Not just for me. I was saying to Tom Cairney that we'd rather it absolutely bucket it down like against Ipswich at home.

"The weather is so unpredictable – there are balls that you think are yours and then you end up not getting there and there are balls that are never yours but, a split second later, they're on top of you."

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/815293932?-11176:824:0

WhiteJC

Two Draws For Dennis

Dennis Adeniran featured in both of England Under-17s' first two matches at the Algarve Tournament over the weekend.

He played the full 80 minutes of Friday afternoon's meeting with Portugal, in which the hosts took an early lead through Miguel Luis, only for England to claim a point courtesy of Tottenham Hotspur's Samuel Shashoua.

Adeniran started on the bench for Sunday's 2-2 draw with Germany but came on at half-time for Ipswich Town's Andre Dozzell.

The Young Lions were two goals up at that point through Sheffield Wednesday striker George Hirst's brace, but Florian Baak halved the deficit late on in the second half, before Renat Dadashov equalised in the final minute of stoppage time.

England's tournament reaches its conclusion when they face the Netherlands on Tuesday.

Photo courtesy of @england.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/815312615?-11176:824:0

WhiteJC

More Striker Talk

After fending off the advances of Spurs and Middlesbrough, for Moussa Dembele and Ross McCormack respectively, it was pleasing to see both in action for Fulham, on Saturday, against Derby County.

Unfortunately, neither of them were able to get on the score-sheet as Fulham drew 1-1 and are still looking for that elusive first win under the tutorship of Slavisa Jokanovic.

But, with Fulham Football Club trying to avoid being sucked into the relegation battle at the bottom of the Championship, their presence in the side is a bonus and there are real hopes there goals can propel Fulham up the Championship table.

Talking about his team-mates our keeper, Andy Lonergan, had this to say to the media,

"Ross loves it here and I never thought we were going to lose him. He is the best player in this league and it shows every week."

He is and that`s why Jokanovic has already stated that he wants to build a team around Ross, but, like I said ahead of the fixture with Derby County, keeping hold of both McCormack and Dembele this summer will be a huge task.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=434231#ixzz3zeohgWyP

WhiteJC

Fulham boss keen to push on after guiding Whites through the choppy waters of the January transfer window

The Whites are lingering in 19th - four points above the relegation zone - but are the joint third top-scorers in the league

Intense: Slavisa Jokanovic at Hillsborough

Fulham's Slavisa Jokanovic is eager to push on with the remainder of the season after maneuvering his way through a tricky January transfer window.

The Whites are lingering in 19th - four points above the relegation zone - but are the joint third top-scorers in the league.

Despite this, there was intense transfer speculation surrounding strikers Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele towards the end of January.

And having retained both of their services, Jokanovic is keen to focus on the remainder of the season, and help the Whites to safety.

The former Watford manager said: "It's true, It wasn't an easy January for us, with so much different speculation around some of my players.

New face: Rohan Ince

"Now it's over and now our job is solely thinking about Fulham, that's it.

"I was relaxed before, too. Fulham did a good job in this transfer window, all the people knew we were under embargo and it is not easy for us to find the quality of people for improve us."

Fulham were under a transfer embargo previously imposed for breaking the Financial Fair Play rules following their relegation from the Premier League.

It left the Whites with a limited hand to play - they could only make loan acquisitions and free transfers as they searched for a way to improve the squad.

And it proved to be a busy final few days for them, as they brought in Rohan Ince, Zakaria Labyad, Michael Madl, and also cancelled Fernando Amorebieta's loan with Middlesbrough.

But Jokanovic has no doubts over the quality of the players he did acquire.

"I believe we bring good four players who can help us in the future and that's it," the former Chelsea player added.

"Fernando is an experienced player, he played for many years at the highest level of football. He know what is competed at highest level, and he made a great performance in the game today.

"He can be an important player for us, and I expect he can improve the team.

"Rohan did a great job, he competed very well."

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/815321579?-11176:824:0

WhiteJC

Burn: Wins Will Come

Dan Burn is adamant that Fulham have shown enough promise in their last two matches to suggest the next win isn't far away.

Two weeks on from a narrow late defeat by Hull City, the Whites matched promotion hopefuls Derby County at Craven Cottage, and shared the points in a 1-1 draw.

"I think we should have won," Burn told the official website after the game. "We had good chances but it's disappointing that they've scored a great goal so close to half-time.

"I think everyone here is a little bit disappointed. You can see in the last two games how much we've improved. We're playing good football so everyone is really confident and we do think that win is just around the corner. But we need those three points.

"Derby are a very good team and I think they should go up really. We've played two sides who are pushing for promotion recently and more than matched them.

"We don't deserve to be where we are in the table. We should be a lot higher and I think the results will come."

While Derby will argue that two crucial saves from Andrew Lonergan late on denied them all three points, Fulham had chances of their own to snatch it, with Ross McCormack lashing a shot just wide in the 90th minute and Tom Cairney going agonisingly close deep into stoppage time.

"The Hull game we didn't create very many chances, but we did create a lot more against Derby," Burn said. "We just need to get them on target.

"TC's been unlucky with his shot, I think the wind's played a big part in that, and Rossco's hit the side-netting when he could have cut it back.

"But we've got great players so you put them in the right positions it's only a matter of time before they stick one in. If we can keep solid at the back, obviously we need a lot more clean sheets, then we're always going to score goals.

"You could see that we battled hard against Derby and kept the ball really well. I thought we defended a lot better; we pressed them and put them under pressure."

Head Coach Slaviša Jokanović echoed Burn's views that the first win is within reach, and our imposing defender admitted there'd be no better place to claim it than at Loftus Road on Saturday.

"That would be massive," he stated. "It's Queens Park Rangers away. We had a good performance against them earlier in the season so if we can replicate that and win the game then that would be great. We've got Blackburn after that as our game in hand so we really need to kick on and pull away from those teams below.

"The gaffer's come in and he's changed it up a lot, even things like the food at Motspur Park, and there's different rules and stuff in place, and he has picked all the lads up.

"I think we're playing better football. We've got great footballers and if we get them on the ball we can cause teams problems."

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/815337806?-11176:824:0

WhiteJC

QPR v Fulham: build up to the big day, part one - it's Taarabt time as Rs end unwanted record sequence

December 15, 2012, Loftus Road, Rangers 2-1 Whites as 19th takes on 13th in the Premier League

As part of the build-up to Saturday's west London derby between Hoops and Whites - here is an expert, eye-witness account of the last three meetings between the pair starting with Rangers last win over Fulham.

Adel runs the show
QPR ended a 16-game sequence from the start of the season without a win when Adel Taarabt showed just why he made his managers turn grey.

One minute moody, the next magnificent, this was the latter for the mercurial Moroccan as Fulham found no answer to his undoubted skills.

It might have been a typical AT mazy run for the first Rs goal, but it needed a hefty defection off Brede Hangeland to beat Mark Schwarzer for all that.

The second, however, is worth a second look as this time he nutmegs hapless Hangeland before rolling the ball and nonchalantly using the outside of his foot to slide the ball into the corner. Forgive the average quality.

And who scored Fulham's late response?
Award yourself a new anorak if you knew it was Mladen Petric.

The Croatian international lasted just a season at Fulham - and even less at West Ham just four months the following campaign.

Rs fans might find it amusing he made his Hammers debut against Everton in September 2013 replacing Modibo Maiga - one of a litany of west London misfits over the last three colourful seasons.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/815343969?-11176:824:0

WhiteJC

Faurlin hoping to be fit for Fulham game

Alejandro Faurlin is optimistic he will be available for QPR's derby against Fulham despite an ongoing thigh problem.

The midfielder came off during the second half of Saturday's 1-0 victory over Ipswich – a match he played in after coming through a fitness test.

Rangers are hopeful he will be able to train fully later this week and join the squad for this weekend's game at Loftus Road.

Faurlin told QPR's website: "I came off against Ipswich as a precaution. My aim is to be fit for Saturday.

"The gaffer is not going to be happy because probably I will have to miss some training, but I will hopefully be ready."

Meanwhile, QPR have agreed to extend Darnell Furlong's loan spell at Cambridge United.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/815371580?-11176:824:0

WhiteJC

Talks set to resume with Blades transfer target

Sheffield United are set to re-open talks with an unnamed long term transfer target according to reports in the Sheffield Star.

The player in question is believed to be Fulham centre half Dan Burn who has long been on Sheffield United Manager Nigel Adkins' wanted list.

The League One club have tried to sign Burn from Fulham twice previously but have failed in both attempts, with Fulham instead deciding to keep the player at Craven Cottage. Burn did look set to join Sheffield United earlier this season but the move was scuppered due to an injury crisis at Craven Cottage.

Sheffield United boss Adkins has admitted to being left frustrated after failing to sign a defender prior to last week's transfer deadline but with the emergency loan window set to re-open tomorrow morning the Blades boss is ready to begin the search for new additions to help boost his side's shaky promotion bid.

The Bramall Lane club were booed off the pitch on Saturday after a 2-0 home defeat to Wigan Athletic left the club 5 points adrift of the Play Off places. Adkins has admitted that his side have blown their chances of automatic promotion with a Play Off place now the best case scenario.

Fulham defender Burn has been a regular starter for The Cottagers' First Team in recent weeks and Adkins may face a tough challenge to persuade the West London club to let their big defender leave.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/815388175?-11176:824:0