watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (10/02/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 10, 2016, 08:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

QPR keeper plots to save any Fulham penalty in west London's big derby - but won't ever wear pink again

Rs shot stopper says he tries all sorts to make sure the 12-yarder gets his gloves on it but hopes brightly coloured shirts to put the taker off isn't one of them

Getting down to it: Alex Smithies takes on Jordan Rhodes

Alex Smithies used to have a full-proof method of saving spot-kicks - and then he discovered the Championship.

As an England U17, the QPR keeper worked out a perfect mind game by pointing left to the kicker and diving the same way.

Smithies deduced takers took on the double bluff and lost - five times in a row.

He tried the same trick on graduation to the Championship with Huddersfield and found out seniors were more savvy.

"I got into the first team at Huddersfield - and it didn't work," he said.

"And since, I've tried all sorts, but I'm not going to say what I do now.

"Everyone's different; I've tried pointing in one direction; looking at videos; I went through a spell in the England youth games where I pointed left and dived left. They always wanted to beat me in the way I was going and I saved five in a row."

But the man boasting three clean sheets out of the last four and no defeats says he fears the return to the pink shirt he wore at Huddersfield.

The theory among coaches was it made keepers look bigger - and new recruit Matt Ingrams heard the same theory when he was at Wycombe.

Both reckon they will get far more out of Rob Green's tuition now the England keeper has been told he will see out his QPR contract on the sidelines.

Smithies added: "I speak to Rob daily and he discuss things daily. We always look at videos and discuss, with the keeper coach as well as Rob to try and improve.

Fulham have been awarded only one penalty this season, inevitably taken and converted by leading scorer Ross McCormack.

But if the Scotland international hits right and Smithies goes the same way - the keeper expects the number to stay at one.

He explained: "If the player puts the ball in the top corner or in the corner - they're not saveable. But if I've gone the right way I expect to save it and am unhappy if I don't."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/qpr-keeper-plots-save-any-10861394?

WhiteJC

Leeds On Sale

Tickets for our final away fixture of February against Leeds United are now on sale to Sesaon Ticket Holders and Members.

The boys travel to Elland Road on Tuesday 23rd February, 7:45pm, and prices for the match are £35 for adults and £16 for juniors. Supporters are advised that adult and concession prices will increase on matchday.

Supporters can buy today online at fulhamfc.com/tickets, in person from the Fulham Ticket Office or by phone on 0843 208 1234 (opt. 1).

Remaining seats will go on General Sale at 10am on Tuesday 16th February.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/february/09/leeds-on-sale?

WhiteJC

QPR v Fulham: build up to the big derby, part two - April Fools Day, hands up Chris Samba as Dimi does Rangers

April 1, 2013: Fulham 3-2 QPR and it's the beginning of the end for Rangers in the Premier League on a great night for goals - if you were a neutral that is

Chris cross: Samba (L) and Dimitri Berbatov mix it

This was a must win for Rangers if they were to avoid relegation from the Premier League.

Instead, a man being paid close to £100,000-a-week is remembered not by what he should have brought to QPR, but this night's torturous trail of gaffes .

Chris Samba gave away a penalty and then the ball in the box for Fulham's Dimitri Berbatov - another hit-and-miss star in west London - to rifle home the spot kick and later profit when Samba had the ball nicked off his toes.

Clint Hill's own goal gave Rs a mountain to climb, but another mercurial talent, one Adel Taarabt, had one of better nights to nearly nick a point for beaten Hoops, first with a goal of his own in a near second-half comeback.

He gave Loic Remy the chance to score a second from the spot, but saw his 12-yarder denied by Mark Schwarzer, and then atoned when he slotted home from Stephane M'Bia's through ball.

The last fool on April 1 was Steve Sidwell, sent off for an ugly challenge on Rs Armand Traore, but Fulham held out in this game and for one more season.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/qpr-v-fulham-build-up-10861905?

WhiteJC

The Sean Davis Column

I don't think anyone deserved to win the game on Saturday, so a 1-1 draw was a fair result, and it was a good point in the end. Derby started off better but then we went in front through an own goal after some good passing and movement and a good ball in by Luke Garbutt. I thought we were doing okay after that but then a wonder strike gets them back into the game. Like I say, I don't think either team deserved to win the game but we definitely didn't deserve to lose it. It was a good point overall against a team that's fighting for promotion.

Their equaliser was a worldie but he was completely unmarked, so someone's got to be in that vicinity. But two minutes before the goal Jamie O'Hara's closed down about three or four people on his own, so you can't fault the work rate. The ball into Chris Martin was far too easy but from there it looked like there was no danger. Then he puts a simple cross in and Craig Bryson smashes it in. Someone has to be going in with the runner and being in that position so they can just clear it away.

We got into a lot of good positions during the 90 minutes, but there were a couple of instances where maybe our decision-making let us down. Those are the moments that can change one point into three. The one that sticks out in the first half was when Moussa Dembélé shot from a tight angle. He had done fantastic to get in that position, but if he gets his head up then he would have seen Lasse Vigen Christensen making a run.

Speaking of Lasse, I've got to say he seems to be getting back to where he was. His fitness looks to be there – it does takes time, these injuries can take their toll. He looks to be getting a little sharper, a little fitter, and he was unfortunate really because he got himself in some really good positions on Saturday but the ball didn't find him.

Another person who deserves a mention is Andrew Lonergan. He wasn't called into action very often by all accounts, but he still had to make two good saves late on to keep the score level. He's done well since he's come in and he's made the position his own really. We're thankful to him because the game could have gone either way at that point and both of those saves were top notch.

We've got QPR this Saturday, and Loftus Road is a very old school ground with the fans right on top of you. It's normally a good atmosphere. I played there for Fulham against QPR when we beat them 2-0 and it was a fantastic atmosphere and, of course, we had the two years ground-sharing there. They got a 1-0 win on the weekend so they'll be in high spirits, but hopefully we can go there and put in a good performance.

It is a massive game and I'm sure the players will be up for it. It's a local derby but the pressure's all on QPR because they're at home. Hopefully our players will relax and we can go there and put on a good show. We need to get that win. Once we get that you can relax a little bit. There are still tickets available so I'd really encourage you to pick one up if you haven't already – there's nothing better than a London debry.

Slaviša Jokanović and the players have been saying they think the next win is just around the corner, and our last couple of matches would suggest that they're right. The displays have been better team performances. The boys have been trying to implement what the coach wants; working together, closing down together, pressing high up the pitch, quick passing. It's been more of a team performance, more solid, so hopefully we can go to Loftus Road and look solid as a team without that detracting from our attacking display.

The day after QPR, the Foundation are hosting their annual 10K fun run from the Cottage, so I'm looking forward to that. I am going to be there 100 per cent, but my knee's a bit tight at the minute so it's touch and go whether I'll be taking part. I'm hoping it should be alright to run. I'm doing it with my sister so it will be a family day out for the Davis' but hopefully plenty of people come along as it's for a great cause. It's a good run, it's not the easiest but it's definitely not a marathon. It's a nice fun day out and hopefully all the Fulham fans can get down there and support the prostate cancer cause.

To sign up for Sunday's 10k, please visit fulhamfc.com/runffc.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/february/09/the-sean-davis-column?

WhiteJC

QPR vs Fulham: Matt Phillips and Tom Cairney go head-to-head - who will win the derby day battle?

The driving forces behind Fulham and QPR will need to be on top form for Saturday's west London derby.

Assist masters: Matt Phillips (L) and Tom Cairney

Matt Phillips and Tom Cairney are expected to be the two creative forces as Fulham and QPR go head-to-head this Saturday lunch time at Loftus Road.

The two have provided the delicate touches behind the front lines on numerous occasions this season and the pressure will be on both to make the difference this time as well.

With Fulham hovering above the relegation zone in 19th, three points in the west London derby could kick-start the Whites season and Cairney's performance could further the hope.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink recorded his first win last weekend thanks to Phillips' late winner against Ipswich, and the new gaffer will be hoping to see more of the same from the pacy winger against Fulham.

Matt Phillips and Tom Cairney chances created

Tom Cairney 44
Matt Phillips 55

QPR did well to hold on to Phillips in the January transfer window after he was subject to interest from a number of Premier League sides as well as promotion hopefuls Middlesbrough.

Cairney on the other hand was a marquee signing for Fulham last summer and the 24-year-old has impressed this season notching up three goals and four assists.

Matt Phillips and Tom Cairney assist records

Tom Cairney 4
Matt Phillips 4

Fulham struggled in blustery conditions last weekend against Derby and Cairney and keeper Andy Lonergan decided they would rather play in torrential rain rather than the unpredictable wind.

"It's part of the job and it was so hard playing in the wind. It was blowing away from me. We've played well against two of the best teams in the league so it's a step in the right direction for us," Lonergan explained.

Matt Phillips and Tom Cairney goalscoring records

Tom Cairney 3
Matt Phillips 6

"Not just for me. I was saying to Tom Cairney that we'd rather it absolutely bucket it down like against Ipswich at home.

"The weather is so unpredictable. There are balls that you think are yours and then you end up not getting there, and there are balls that are never yours but, a split second later, they're on top of you."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/qpr-vs-fulham-matt-phillips-10859318?

WhiteJC

Defeat For Adeniran

Dennis Adeniran played the full 80 minutes as England Under-17s' Algarve Tournament ended with a 2-0 defeat by the Netherlands.

After a goalless first half, the Dutchmen took the lead through Tahith Chong of Feyenoord six minutes after the break, before his club teammate Dylan Vente doubled the lead shortly after.

England's attentions will now turn to next month's Euro Elite Qualifying Round on home soil, where they face Turkey, Ukraine and Finland.

Photo courtesy of @england.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/february/09/defeat-for-adeniran?

WhiteJC

Town Targeting Pringle on Loan

TWTD understands that Town are targeting the loan signing of Fulham winger Ben Pringle in addition to their move for former Watford man Lloyd Dyer.

The Blues are two widemen short following the recent departure of Tommy Oar and Ryan Fraser having suffered a hamstring injury during Saturday's game at QPR. Town will confirm the extent of the on-loan AFC Bournemouth man's problem later in the week.

We understand that discussions with Dyer, who is a free agent having settled his contract with the Hornets last week, have been ongoing over the last few days but that the terms of his deal to the end of the season have not yet been agreed.

Town were previously keen on Pringle in the summer when he was a free agent having turned down a contract at Rotherham but the 26-year-old opted to join the Cottagers on a two-year deal with an option for a further season.

Since moving to Craven Cottage the Newcastle-born wideman or central midfielder has made 15 starts and three sub appearances, scoring two goals, but his last game was on December 29th, while his most recent start came earlier that month.

Pringle joined the Millers in 2011 from Derby County, having previously been playing in non-league with Newcastle Blue Star, Morpeth Town and Ilkeston Town, after a spell with West Brom's academy as a youngster. While with Derby he spent a spell on loan with Torquay.

Pringle, whose set pieces led to both Rotherham's goals in their 2-0 victory over the Blues in February 2015, made 154 starts and 14 sub appearances for the Millers, scoring 22 goals, and helped them to promotion from League Two as runners-up in 2012/13 and League One via the play-offs in 2013/14.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/29037/?

WhiteJC

QPR v Fulham: Whites midfielder will be amazed if lightning strikes twice

The man whom Fulham paid Blackburn £4m for thinks a glorious Cottage night five months ago is a one off and Saturday's big derby day will be a lot closer

New game: Cairney

Tom Cairney will be amazed if lightning strikes twice at QPR - and Fulham cane their west London derby rivals for the second time this season.

At the end of September, Cairney and co dished out a 4-0 lesson at Craven Cottage. But 8-0 on aggregate come Saturday, 3pm?

Even with the added numbers, a Loftus Road punter in blue or white has more chance of scooping the Lottery, according to the £4 million midfielder.

"That night, it was our best overall performance over 90 minutes this season," Cairney said. "In this league anyone can beat anyone.

"Whether we can go do it again in that way, I don't know. It might be hard to do is as easy as it felt that night. The energy was there, and it felt like we had an extra man on the pitch."

In contrast, Rangers were two men light in terms of injury when 3-0 down as Charlie Austin and Jamie Mackie limped off within seconds of each other.

There were Rs fans working out a goal had been scored every 10 minutes until then, and some thinking a nightmare double figure thrashing a distinct possibility.

As it turned out, Whites throttled back to score just once more, but Cairney insists the slate has been wiped clean.

"It was one of those great nights, but they won't be thinking about that performance. It's just different games.

"That said, we can go there and win."

The pre-match boot is somewhat on the other foot, with Rs 13th and Fulham a perilous four points off a relegation place.

"I wouldn't say we are going to get relegated, but we've got to get a few good results so we can look up and not look down," Cairney added.

"I believe we're going to climb but I wouldn't have thought we'd be where we are."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/qpr-v-fulham-whites-midfielder-10865254?

WhiteJC

HOILETT: I LOVE LOCAL DERBIES – & CAN'T WAIT FOR SATURDAY

Junior Hoilett looks ahead to QPR's fixture against local rivals Fulham this weekend ...

JUNIOR Hoilett has been enjoying a rich vein of form for QPR lately, and he's hoping that continues this weekend when Rangers play host to west London rivals Fulham.

The 25 year-old winger was a constant menace during the R's 1-0 win over Ipswich four days ago, and he told www.qpr.co.uk: "I'm feeling confident, the manager has put a lot of confidence in me to go out and express myself, and I'm enjoying my football right now."

Hoilett has been an ever-present in the league under Hasselbaink, and the Canadian international admitted: "Since day one when he came in, the manager told me he believes in me and that he's going to work me hard in training to get the best out of me.

"I am feeling fitter now, and with playing match after match, my fitness has come on."

Rangers extended their unbeaten run to five games with that win over Mick McCarthy's promotion-chasing side, and Hoilett explained: "You could see with the way we set up that we were going on the front foot, so we were delighted to get the win.

"Their keeper made some worldy saves against me so I was a bit gutted I didn't get on the scoresheet, but hopefully I can do so against Fulham."

The Cottagers ran out 4-0 winners against QPR on home soil in September. Hoilett didn't feature in that fixture, but says the whole squad felt the pain of the defeat.

"That still hurts us," he said. "To lose like that, it's going to be on your mind but if we can stick together and play like we did against Ipswich, then I'm sure we'll have a great chance of winning on Saturday.

"Local derbies always seem to produce special atmospheres and I love playing in them. I'm really looking forward to this one."

Read more at http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/junior-hoilett-qpr-fulham-championship-2945732.aspx#DLp05vgyG9VyZOb0.99