Main Menu

Bellamy: I could quit football!

Started by Mr Fulham, August 10, 2010, 05:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Fulham

I could quit football, says Manchester City striker Craig Bellamy

• Bellamy could retire if left out of City's 25-man squad
• Wales captain says: 'This club is as ruthless as any'

Craig Bellamy has said he could retire from football if he is left out of Manchester City's 25-man squad. The Wales captain faces an uncertain future at Eastlands and is by no means certain to be named in manager Roberto Mancini's final squad for the new season.

Bellamy, set to win his 59th Wales cap in Wednesday's friendly against Luxembourg in Llanelli, said he was considering all options if left out by City, and has already rejected an offer from the German club Wolfsburg.

"I feel strongly that I can offer something at the club," the 31-year-old said. "But if I don't get in the 25-man squad, I don't know what I will do. I might finish, full stop, or look at every option I get.

"This club is as ruthless as any. I sort of feel I am not going to be part of it [at City]. I can see that from a distance. I find it very difficult to take because I really enjoy playing for Manchester City. I think I have shown that with my commitment this year.

"I've had a few options. I've turned down Wolfsburg. I don't fancy Germany, it's not somewhere I see myself playing football. But I have to see what options I have. With this 25-man ruling, it doesn't matter how well I train or how good my attitude is, I might not be registered to play. So do I go without playing football until January, or do I find myself a club where I can play football?

"I am committed to stay where I am. I feel I deserve to be part of it – but I don't pick the 25 or the team. I have to wait on their decision."

Bellamy returns for Wales having missed their last four matches. He was overlooked for a friendly against Sweden in March as John Toshack looked to explore other options, then missed their game against Croatia in May due to injury.

Bellamy's return is a boost for Wales ahead of their Euro 2012 qualifying campaign which begins on 3 September against Montenegro, who play Northern Ireland in a friendly on Wednesday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/10/craig-bellamy-manchester-city-wales

____

Sparky? :dft001:

HatterDon

I'll not miss him if he goes.

Having said that, whatever happened to "Little Old Manchester City, the People's Club?"
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Mr Fulham

Quote from: HatterDon on August 10, 2010, 10:33:58 PM
I'll not miss him if he goes.

I obviously will. Great player, and definitely a great character.

Would love to see him at Fulham. C'mon Sparky, make that one happen! :clap_hands:

Admin

Bellamy also said that he played his best football under Mark Hughes who is the only manager to get the best out of him at Blackburn and Man City and said he would be very interested in playing at that level again. In a nut shell and not taking finances into consideration (as he mentioned Wolsburg), he would be preaored to hook up with Mark Hughes again. This was a "come get me" call mark my words..

os5889

Its worth noting, he has been stating for the last few years that he only has (now) 2 years left playing because of his knees.

I think its very respectable if he did bow out to bow out now, from his point of view its all downhill from Manchester City, you may as well bow out at the top.

I personally feel if he leaves Manchester City the lure of Cardiff City even at a massive pay cut would be an attraction for him, I can never see him being allowed to join Tottenham.

I really like Bellamy and am shocked by how candid his interview today was, can you imagine not talking to your boss for 6 months but seeing him every day???

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Admin on August 10, 2010, 10:41:04 PM
Bellamy also said that he played his best football under Mark Hughes who is the only manager to get the best out of him at Blackburn and Man City and said he would be very interested in playing at that level again. In a nut shell and not taking finances into consideration (as he mentioned Wolsburg), he would be preaored to hook up with Mark Hughes again. This was a "come get me" call mark my words..

Did he really say that? Now that's exciting news, thanks for sharing! :clap_hands:

@os: Yeah, that was quite strange. He also mentioned - in his straightforward style - that he saw how ruthless the board was "just before Christmas"...Sparky was sacked at December, 19.