Barcelona disrespectful

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, February 15, 2016, 11:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: MJG on February 15, 2016, 02:06:42 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on February 15, 2016, 01:38:54 PM
Quote from: MJG on February 15, 2016, 11:39:06 AM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on February 15, 2016, 11:26:13 AM
Nothing wrong (rules wise) with what they were trying to do, read the rule book.

But is it a piss take?  Yes.
My sunday team were winning a game so easily that our striker rounded the keeper, took the ball to line, stopped and knelt down and headed it in. That didn't go down too well I can tell you.

Did he walk off the field under his own power when the game ended? Waaaaaaay back when I was still able to play (knees), people used to remind others about sportsmanship in, let's say, a very physical manner.
Lets just say he didst score another goal in the game and was lucky not to get something broken during and after the game.

sounds about right. most people can reconcile being the bad team on the field. but there's just something visceral about the reaction to being shown up in pretty much any sport.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

nose

There used to be a very useful rule regarding ungentlemanly behaviour.
I think it should be restored, there is no need to rub it in in that way.
what we did to QPR, knocking it about was not quite the same because if they had the wherewithall they could have got it back. However a penalty should be struck at the goal properly IMO.

Still what do you expect from the arrogant, but in the end they may be earning a fortune but they are still just footballers, not specially like scientist, engineers or brain surgeons (just three examples off the top of my head i know there are loads more) or anything genuinely worthwhile, they are just common, overpaid, entertainers. My respect for Messi has plummeted although I feel sure he will not care.. and suarez is contemptible anyway so no need to comment on him.

JHaynes Paperboy

Pointless post, do try and put NFR when postings have absolutely nothing to do with FFC.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: JHaynes Paperboy on February 15, 2016, 06:44:40 PM
Pointless post, do try and put NFR when postings have absolutely nothing to do with FFC.

You read that thread title and still believed it to be FR??
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on February 15, 2016, 07:08:58 PM
Quote from: JHaynes Paperboy on February 15, 2016, 06:44:40 PM

You read that thread title and still believed it to be FR??

:005:

Chesh

As Messi was in front of the ball when Suarez struck it, and arguably in the keeper's peripheral vision, thereby 'putting him off', could it not have been ruled out for offside?  :033:

Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Arthur

Quote from: nose on February 15, 2016, 03:27:01 PM
Still what do you expect from the arrogant, but in the end they may be earning a fortune but they are still just footballers, not specially like scientist, engineers or brain surgeons (just three examples off the top of my head i know there are loads more) or anything genuinely worthwhile, they are just common, overpaid, entertainers. My respect for Messi has plummeted...

Footballers may not be doing something as worthwhile as brain surgeons, but that does not mean that their contribution is worthless - far from it. They are not peddling drugs to children, scamming senior citizens out of their pensions or running prostitution rackets (just three examples off the top of my head; I know there are many more). Football, football clubs and footballers are a significant part of many ordinary peoples' lives the world over. They offer folk an emotional bond that, were it to disappear, millions upon millions would regard as a huge loss. To top it off, the incident that has brought your to denigrate footballers did not even breach the laws of the game.

Dare I suggest that the opposing team and those who have taken umbrage on their behalf, instead of trying to ramp up the sense of humiliation as if it were on any sort of scale with those, throughout history, who have been truly humiliated (for their religious, political or sexual beliefs to mention but three sources) might like to reflect that, even in the world of football injustices (such as a reckless tackle that causes a player injury), this is not a big deal.

bobbo

Quote from: fulhamross on February 15, 2016, 11:16:00 AM
i know pires and henry tried it a while back but it looks totally illegal. you shouldnt be able to have another player hit the ball unless it hits the woodwork or goalie pushes it out

i reckon that will come, because after that disrespectful act more will be trying it on
1975 just leaving home full of hope

bobbo

It should have been disallowed in any case because there were players inside the pen area before the initial kick. ( which means it has to be retaken )
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Blanco

Quote from: Arthur on February 15, 2016, 08:17:50 PM
Quote from: nose on February 15, 2016, 03:27:01 PM
Still what do you expect from the arrogant, but in the end they may be earning a fortune but they are still just footballers, not specially like scientist, engineers or brain surgeons (just three examples off the top of my head i know there are loads more) or anything genuinely worthwhile, they are just common, overpaid, entertainers. My respect for Messi has plummeted...

Footballers may not be doing something as worthwhile as brain surgeons, but that does not mean that their contribution is worthless - far from it. They are not peddling drugs to children, scamming senior citizens out of their pensions or running prostitution rackets (just three examples off the top of my head; I know there are many more). Football, football clubs and footballers are a significant part of many ordinary peoples' lives the world over. They offer folk an emotional bond that, were it to disappear, millions upon millions would regard as a huge loss. To top it off, the incident that has brought your to denigrate footballers did not even breach the laws of the game.

Dare I suggest that the opposing team and those who have taken umbrage on their behalf, instead of trying to ramp up the sense of humiliation as if it were on any sort of scale with those, throughout history, who have been truly humiliated (for their religious, political or sexual beliefs to mention but three sources) might like to reflect that, even in the world of football injustices (such as a reckless tackle that causes a player injury), this is not a big deal.

Your points are true but lets be honest, football doesn´t really matter in the grand scheme of things. At the end of the day it doesn´t matter who wins the league or who gets relegated. Health and brain surgeons are important.

kiwian

This reaction reminds me of the 81 Oz-NZ one dayer when Chappell bowled underarm to prevent a Kiwi batsman scoring a 6 to tie the match. It was within the rules (hard to believe I know!) but the rule was changed soon after. Legal but unsportsmanlike, just like that penalty.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

bill taylors apprentice

I said earlier it was taking the piss................  but I don't have a problem with a bit of piss taking now and again!

Jimpav

It was a piss take but when you are the best team in the world playing a team that wouldn't cut it in the championship then I think that its to be expected.

As unsporting as it was, football is also a form of entertainment and moments like this are good for the game- better than people talking about horror tackles or Suarez biting someone.

davew

Haven't seen it, so can't comment (lol)!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Blanco

Quote from: Jimpav on February 15, 2016, 10:19:30 PM
It was a piss take but when you are the best team in the world playing a team that wouldn't cut it in the championship then I think that its to be expected.

As unsporting as it was, football is also a form of entertainment and moments like this are good for the game- better than people talking about horror tackles or Suarez biting someone.

Saying they wouldn't cut it in the championship is very harsh. They are 8th in the league and have come on leaps and bounds this season. They are going through a rough patch but are a good side and would give southampton, west ham and liverpool a hell of a game. They knocked Atletico Madrid out of the cup a few weeks ago. I wouldn´t trust nearly any of the prem clubs to beat atletico.

J

IMO it's not really that bad, no more disrespectful than megging a player a couple of times, a no look pass, a rabona shot, or trying to lob the keeper from kick off. All are taking the mick but provide entertainment, so as it is allowed in the rules then no worries for now and I don't see why Barca should be criticised for it.
BUT they should change the rules though to stop it being allowed if it is deemed this gives the team taking an unfair advantage, or at the very least enforce the infringement rules properly (which it looks like they failed to do so).

Fulham Tup North

Oddly enough, would they have done it at 0-0?

I saw a comment on the BBC, which said that Messi' penalty shot was awful and off target, good job Suarez was there to save his embarrassment ;)
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

TheBadger

Personally I see it as entertainment rather than taking the p*ss. No, they probably wouldn't have done it at 0-0 but on the other side of the coin, it's nice to see alternative ways of them beating the lesser sides...
It certainly has people talking and that's the beauty of football - many issues divide opinion.
"The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning." - Pele