more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (16/02/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 16, 2016, 08:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Craven Corner: Why the Jokanovic resurgence has begun ahead of Blackburn trip

Fulham pulled off an impressive 3-1 win over London rivals QPR on Saturday lunchtime to leave fan blogger Adam Brons-Smith on a real high ahead of Tuesday night's clash with Blackburn.

In the run up to the game, everyone involved with Fulham Football Club could sense that Jokanovic's first victory was around the corner with performances improving every week. Playing against local rivals QPR was the perfect fixture to turn Fulham's season around. Having beaten QPR under Kit Symons, Fulham needed all three points to move away from relegation danger and to gain that first win to start their resurgence under Jokanovic. Jokanovic changed his system going into this game, handing a debut to Michael Madl who played alongside Dan Burn and Fernando Amorebieta in a 5-3-2 system. The surprise in the starting 11 was Lasse Vigen Christensen, asked to start as a left-wing back. Despite a promising start he picked up a hamstring injury which meant Luke Garbutt would take his place.

The system stayed the same throughout the game with wing backs Garbutt and Ryan Fredericks a constant threat down the channels. QPR were set up in a traditional 4-4-2 and played incredibly direct, hoping to get something out of hard-working duo Jamie Mackie and Sebastian Polter - but any long ball was effortlessly swept up by the towering Burn and the back three were able to comfortably knock the ball around to put Fulham back in control of the game. In all honesty, the back three deserved a clean sheet for their efforts, and were absolutely solid throughout - Lead vocally by Burn, Amorebieta and Madl were calm and composed, and their recycling of possession was a joy to watch.

It was clear that Jokanovic and Stuart Gray had been working heavily with the defenders over the two week break. In midfield, Fulham started with Jamie O'Hara, Scott Parker and Tom Cairney who time after time closed down the QPR midfield duo, and were able to carve open chances. The passing in the final third from Cairney was Premier League quality, with the midfielder passing through the QPR ranks to create chances for inform strikers Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele.

Fulham took a much-deserved 0-3 lead in at half time and Andy Lonergan hadn't had a save to make. Despite early pressure at the start of the second half, Fulham once again controlled the match, with chances for O'Hara and McCormack just going wide. Although the scoreline wasn't as impressive as the earlier 4-0 victory over QPR, the performance was arguably better. The passing was at high tempo, and the movement off the ball clearly displayed the talent this squad possesses.

Fulham were tactically and technically better than QPR, with Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink unable to influence or change the game, Jokanovic changed his system from previous games, and masterminded an incredible victory for the Whites.

With goals from McCormack, Dembele and Cairney it's testament to Jokanovic for keeping these players at the club. His defiance against their departures in the winter window will keep Fulham in this division and with performances like that, it could have potential to sign new deals at the club. The only sad thing about this victory, was the thought of what if Jokanovic was employed sooner?

Those winless fixtures after Symons' departure could have been avoided, and a late charge for promotion could have still been on the cards. But, what will be, will be - and Fulham must treat the remaining fixtures as an early pre-season for next year, building on each game, playing without pressure and learning the game plan that Jokanovic is clearly installing.

If Fulham back Jokanovic in the summer, the expectations of Fulham fans and the board could be very high for next year. It is clear that Fulham have installed the right manager, and given the full belief of the board, could build something special on the Thames.

I have to admit, I was slightly gutted to not see a debut for Zakaria Labyad who was left out of the squad, but after thinking about it, the winger was probably not suited to playing in the formation Jokanovic set out away from home, so we could see him introduced in a home fixture where we can look to attack teams from the start.

Fulham travel to Ewood Park on Tuesday for a tough away game at Blackburn. But, after a confidence building win at QPR, the squad will be looking to start a run of victories to achieve the best finish to the campaign possible.

I'm incredibly optimistic for the game, and week by week, I feel as if we are getting our Fulham back. Quick note - it seems that Burn is getting more time each week under Jokanovic and has become the heartbeat of our defence. With performances improving and more organisation installed to our defensive game, Fulham must be discussing a new deal soon with the defender as his current deal runs out in the summer.

At 23, the towering defender is a suitable candidate for the future captaincy role at our club, and with the belief of Jokanovic installed in him, the former Darlington defender could go on to great things at Craven Cottage.

Keep the faith, there's exciting times to come under the new coach and after collecting our first win, Fulham fans can start to look forward to what 2016 has in store.

Read more at: http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/craven_corner_why_the_jokanovic_resurgence_has_begun_ahead_of_blackburn_trip_1_4420877
Copyright © LONDON24

WhiteJC

'Moneyball' Madl's display at QPR shows there's value in the stats for Fulham

Fulham fan Kris Balkin revels in the derby day win over QPR – and believes the performance of new signing Michael Madl justifies the club's transfer policy...

You can always count on Queens Park Rangers.

Six games into his Fulham career and without a win, Slavisa Jokanovic needed something big from Saturday's derby fixture.

And, just as our recent form against QPR had prophesied, Fulham duly delivered. Ross McCormack, Moussa Dembele and Tom Cairney, amongst others of course, simply overwhelmed their hosts in a 3-1 win that could have easily been more.

A lot of gratitude should be thrown Jokanovic's way for the victory.

His call for this Fulham side to become pluckier, more physical and more aggressive has finally been answered. The Whites were first to every ball and fully committed to the cause. Rangers, in contrast, didn't seem at all fussed by the whole thing.

But, also, a change in system to a more dynamic 5-3-2 bore fruit once again, allowing us to dictate the game from the middle where, behind Cairney, Scott Parker was tidying up with the stamina of a player 10 years his junior.

All in all it was a performance to remember but if we have to throw praise in any particular direction, Michael Madl certainly deserves some recognition.

Fulham again embarrassed Rangers in a one-sided derby

Plucked from moderate obscurity, he has been the victim of some disdain from those who don't trust the statistical model used to judge his ability and subsequently bring him in.

Yet, if his debut has shown us anything, it is that there is at least some value in this new statistics-dependent recruitment model.

The Austrian had a tidy game; he tackled strongly, positioned himself well and, in spite of his height, dominated in the air with aplomb.

In fact, without jumping to extreme conclusions, his playing style seems eerily similar to that of a latter day Aaron Hughes, a comparison as flattering as they come.

Both Madl – who is only in on loan, but the move is likely to be made permanent in the summer – and Sakari Mattila are products of Tony Khan's 'Moneyball' take on the transfer market and neither are looking like failures.

Jokanovic's tactics were the key to victory at Loftus Road

Granted, Mattila has hardly set the world alight but he has been competent in the games he has played. His modest fee suggests he is nothing more than a squad player and there is no harm – or risk, for that matter – in deploying this statistical model to bring in cheap foreign imports.

Naturally, there is a balance to be struck. The club cannot go all-out and use Khan's methods for every piece of business because, simply, stats can only tell you so much about a player.

But as a basis for following and scouting players it is actually quite logical. It has certainly proved more prudent than shelling out millions on the likes of Kostas Mitroglou and Maarten Stekelenberg.

As a means for saving money – exploring the depths of the European market doesn't seem too costly – and finding hidden foreign gems, this could prove to be a very efficient model of recruitment.

Only time will tell, of course, but if Madl's debut is anything to go by, this may just work out for us.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/features-comment/moneyball-madls-display-against-qpr-shows-theres-value-in-the-stats-for-fulham

WhiteJC

Back At The Cottage

After two away games on the bounce, Fulham are back at Craven Cottage when Charlton Athletic make the short trip across the Capital on Saturday (3pm).

Tickets for the encounter against the 23rd-placed Addicks are available for fans to purchase on General Sale, priced from just £25 for adults and £15 for juniors.

These prices will increase by £5 on matchday so grab yours today as the Whites aim to secure a second successive London derby victory, following Saturday's festivities at Loftus Road.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/february/16/back-at-the-cottage?

WhiteJC

Opposition View: David Dunn

Blackburn Rovers legend David Dunn discusses his two spells at Ewood Park, and that season when they lost out on the title to Fulham.

As a local lad, it must have been a proud moment when you first joined Blackburn?

It was exciting times when I signed full professional terms. They'd won the Premiership a couple of years before, so it was a good time to be there.

What are your memories of the 2000/01 season when we both went up?

I remember playing at Ewood when Sean Davis scored that late winner. I knew Sean as I played in the England Under-21 team with him, and when he scored at the other end I was gutted. That match was so important because the outcome would have a big say in who went on and won the league. It was a good season, that. I think the team of the year probably consisted of half Fulham, half Blackburn players.

You left Blackburn in 2003 – was that a hard decision?

It's always difficult to leave a club you supported as a kid, but personally it was probably the right time for me; not as a footballer necessarily, but as a person growing up. I had everything done for me when I was at home, so as a person I probably needed to grow up. Although I'm not sure it did any help!

But you were back before long?

I had a pretty injury hit spell at Birmingham, which wasn't great, so I was delighted when I re-signed for Blackburn and I just kicked on again really. I arguably enjoyed my second spell there as much as my first one.

You played for them 378 times – what are your highlights?

My debut was obviously a highlight as it's something you always wanted to do when you're a young kid. Winning promotion that year when we were fighting with Fulham was a really good moment. The Worthington Cup win was special, and I'd say winning a full England cap when I was playing for the club was really good as well.

Should you have had more than just the one England cap?

I think so. I'm not one for making excuses, but if there was a little bit more professionalism on my part, then with my ability and potential I'm certain I would have won more England caps. As a young coach/manager now, knowing what I know and what's really needed and how it works, I think if I'd have known that back then then things might have been different. But hindsight's such a wonderful thing.

What have you made of Blackburn this season?

It's been pretty up and down hasn't it? Paul Lambert and his staff came in and certainly got off to a really good start. But I wouldn't even judge the new manager until next season, I think it's far too early. He'll have to put his own stamp on things, he needs to bring his own players in and I just think the club needs time.

Which Fulham players are you a fan of?

I know Scott Parker very well and I really like him. Keeping Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembélé in January was a boost for Fulham. Ross will be dangerous as he always scores goals and is very lively. I'm sure it'll be a very good game.

And if we had to push you for a score prediction?

I'm always going to back Blackburn, so I'll fancy them for the home win. 

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/february/16/opposition-view-david-dunn-blackburn-rovers?