Started by White Noise, August 11, 2010, 09:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/08/11/fulham-and-england/

Craven Cottage Newsround

August 11, 2010

Fulham and England

Filed under: Fulham — chopper68 @ 6:00 am

If Bobby Zamora makes his debut for England tonight, and all reports suggest he will, he'll be only the fourth Fulham player to feature for the national team since we arrived in the Premier League 10 seasons ago. At 29 not even Bobby's greatest fan could have predicted this opportunity a year ago but having completed one of the most amazing seasons in his career thus far he undoubtedly deserves his chance.

England are at a low ebb right now. If nothing else, our performance in South Africa opened a few eyes. We're not quite as talented as we once thought and need to improve in a lot of areas if we're going to compete with the world's best. In the short term this means building a team for Euro 2012. Could Zamora be a genuine contender to be a part of the squad? The experience of Fulham's other recent English hopefuls suggest it won't be easy.

In February 2003 Sean Davis became the first Fulham player to be selected for England since George Cohen's last game in November 1967. The friendly played at Upton Park saw England lose 3-1 to Australia and despite Sven-Goran Eriksson using 22 players Sean remained on the bench. Davis played one more full season for Fulham before moving on to Spurs but has yet to be selected for England again.

An injury crisis in defence gave Zat Knight his chance during a summer tour of the USA in May 2005. England played two friendlies and Zat featured in both. The first match, a 2-1 win over the States in Chicago, saw Knight replace Sol Campbell at half time. Zat earnt his first start, and played the full 90 minutes, three days later as England beat Colombia 3-2 in New Jersey. The tour was more about financial rewards than developing a team for the 2006 World Cup but in truth Zat didn't do enough to suggest he deserved to be any higher in the Centre Back pecking order. Much like Sean Davis, selection for England raised Zat's expectations but it was another two seasons before he moved on to Aston Villa.

The inimitable Jimmy Bullard secured our most recent brush with the three lions. Selected for back to back World Cup Qualifiers in September 2008. An unimpressive 2-0 win against Andorra was followed by a stunning 4-1 victory over Croatia in Zagreb. Both games were negotiated without the need for Jimmy to remove his tracksuit and after less than four months JB was on his way to Hull with a price tag befitting an England International.

Can Zamora stake a claim to feature in the squad for more than just one game? Can he be the first Fulham player of the Premier League era to earn a cap in a competitive match? To do so he would need to convince Capello that he has something to offer in qualifying for the 2012 European Championships. Despite a poor World Cup, Wayne Rooney remains key to a successful English team. Bobby may well provide the perfect foil for Rooney's talent. He'll certainly bring a work ethic to the side that appeared seriously missing in South Africa.

I've made the mistake of getting over excited about Fulham players picked for England in the past. I really upset some scousers when Jimmy B got the call and with hindsight they were probably right. I do hope that Bobby does himself credit and will be very proud to see him take the field however long he gets.

White Noise

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=813434&sec=england&cc=5739

Senderos suffers serious injury - reports

By Soccernet staff

August 10, 2010

Reports in Switzerland suggest Philippe Senderos could miss a large portion of the coming season for Fulham after suffering a ruptured Achilles tendon.

The Tribune de Geneve says Senderos, who saw his World Cup come to a premature end when suffering an ankle injury in his country's opening game against Spain, sustained the serious injury in training with Fulham.

The paper goes on to report that Senderos will be operated on by the same surgeon who treated David Beckham after the midfielder suffered a similar injury when playing for AC Milan in March.

Beckham was ruled out of the World Cup finals due to the injury and has still not returned to action with LA Galaxy. He hopes to play again in September, some six months after sustaining the injury.

If Senderos is handed a similar prognosis then he can expect to be sidelined until January. However, Fulham are yet to confirm the reported injury, or any likely period of recuperation.

Senderos joined Fulham from Arsenal in June, bringing to an end a seven-year stay with the Gunners during which he made 64 Premier League appearances.

White Noise

http://www.volzy.com/diary.php

10 August 2010

I still haven't trained yet due to this slight hip problem, which meant I also missed our last pre-season game at the weekend. I'm still a bit sore but the discomfort is definitely less than it was and this week will be about testing out what I can do - sprints, change of direction etc. I'm obviously desperate to rejoin training as soon as possible but I also know I've got to keep patient and let this little niggle heal up so it doesn't cause me any further problems.

We've got our first competitive game of the season on Saturday which isaway to Chemnitz in the cup, so I'm hoping I'll have been able to train enough by then to be involved. If it takes place that is. There has been a lot of heavy rainfall in that part of thh country and they've had floods and all sorts.

We had an open training session for the fans at the weekend, followed by the longest signing session in the history of the world. We sat there at tables for over three hours and signed everything imaginable - including the obligatory German sleeveless denim jacket. I also had to sign a baby grow that was actually being worn by a four month-old baby. That wasn't the easiest - for me or the baby!

Oh, and here's a pic of me in my St Pauli shirt...hope you like my side parting...!

More soon...

White Noise

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=813524&sec=transfers&cc=5739

Fulham deny Schwarzer reports

August 11, 2010

Fulham have denied reports Mark Schwarzer has handed in a transfer request and expect the goalkeeper to remain at Craven Cottage.

Schwarzer, 37, is believed to be a target for Arsenal and it is believed the Gunners had a £2 million bid rejected earlier in the summer.

It was claimed on Wednesday morning that Schwarzer has now asked to leave the club to try to force through a move to Emirates Stadium, but Fulham say there is no truth to the reports.

A Fulham spokeswoman said: "The club has not received a transfer request from Mark Schwarzer. Mark is under contract with us until the summer of 2011 and the manager has underlined his commitment to keep hold of his best players."

White Noise

New Fulham defender Philippe Senderos likely to miss most of the season after rupturing achilles tendon

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 11:33 AM on 11th August 2010

Switzerland and Fulham defender Philippe Senderos is set to miss most of the season after reportedly rupturing an Achilles tendon.

Senderos was injured training alone after withdrawing from the Swiss squad to play Austria in a friendly on Wednesday, the Tribune de Geneve daily said.

Senderos will likely undergo an operation by the same surgeon in Finland who treated David Beckham for an achilles injury in March, the newspaper reports.

The 25-year-old defender had his World Cup ended early by an ankle injury in the first half of Switzerland's opening match, a 1-0 win against eventual champions Spain.

Senderos joined Fulham in June after failing to command a regular first-team place at Arsenal. 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1302107/New-Fulham-defender-Philippe-Senderos-likely-miss-season-rupturing-achilles-tendon.html#ixzz0wIMQqOtW

White Noise

Fulham - Premier League season preview

By Mirror Football in Mirror Football Blog

Published 10:56 11/08/10

Recommend (1)

Last season's finish: 12th
Lawro's prediction: 15th

Lawro's verdict
Roy Hodgson's departure and vultures circling for players like Zamora and Schwarzer (right) will make it very difficult for Fulham.

This season will be a struggle and the fact that the new manager will miss the start of pre-season will make it even tougher.

There are rocky times ahead. Fulham will do well to survive and it will be the bottom six for them next season.

Gaffer: Mark Hughes
Mark Hughes the new manager at the Cottage will have a massive task to match last season's exploits.

Roy Hodgson, Fulham previous manager now in charge at Liverpool, took Fulham on a dream odyssey, which ended in a narrow Europa League final defeat by Atletico Madrid in Hamburg. Roma, Juventus and Hamburg themselves were among the Cottagers' victims on this glorious run.

Key Man: Bobby Zamora
Outstanding for Hodgson's side last season to put himself on the England radar and likely to get his chance for Fabio Capello this term following the debacle in South Africa.

Showed fantastic touch and linked the Cottagers together but will need to be as good if not better to help fill the Hodgson hole.

Ins and outs
In
Philippe Senderos - Arsenal (Free)

Out
Elliot Omozusi - Leyton Orient (Free)
Stefan Payne - Gillingham (Free)
Chris Smalling - Manchester United (Undisclosed)

Fan's eye view
Click here to read the fan's view with Cottagers fan John Stonestreet

Did you Know?
Roy Hodgson's side scored the highest percentage of goals (69%) in the second half during 2009-10.

Fulham conceded five own goals – the joint highest – during the 2009-10 season.

Big interview: New boss Mark Hughes
Mark Hughes is backing Fulham striker Bobby Zamora to repeat his wonder season – and fire his way back into Fabio Capello's England plans.

The Cottagers' new boss is a fan of the big frontman – although he is desperate for ­another striker to partner him.

Former West Ham star Zamora enjoyed a great campaign last year, inspiring Fulham to the Europa League final.

Had it not been for an Achilles injury, he could well have led the line for England at the World Cup.

Hughes said: "Fabio Capello thinks highly of him and now it's down to Bobby to show what he can do.

"If he plays well for Fulham he will get recognition at international level."

Zamora, 29, signed for Fulham in 2008 after four-and-a-half years at Upton Park, where he earned six caps for England's Under-21 side.

Last season he was top league scorer at Craven Cottage with eight goals and was ­targeted by Capello for a place in the South Africa squad – until injury ruled him out.

Sparky added: "I came up against him when I was with Manchester City and he was very impressive. He had a really great season.

"What I feel he now has to do, though, is build on that and become a consistent scorer this next campaign – and the future campaigns to come.

"Those are the kind of demands I will putting on him. I don't believe in players just having one stand-out season and not building on it.

"That's just not acceptable for any player. I will drive players to achieve as much as they are capable of achieving.

"And Bobby is a player who can achieve as much as he wants to achieve."

Hughes is well aware of the West Londoners' lack of goals last season.

In an ideal world, he would be able to lure Roque Santa Cruz away from his old club Manchester City to become Zamora's strike partner. But, although the Welshman has been encouraged to believe that City are willing to let the injury-plagued Paraguayan leave, the move is complicated by Santa Cruz's salary, understood to be close to £90,000 a week.

Hughes said: "We have to add to the quality we already have. But players like Santa Cruz – and Craig Bellamy – are maybe beyond our scope in terms of money we'd have to pay in wages.

"But we are actively looking to bring ­high-quality players in.

"I also want to bring good young players through, though, like I did at Blackburn.

"They are the heartbeat of the club. Supporters align themselves to the young players coming through."

Under Roy Hodgson, Fulham reached the dizzy heights of the Europa League Final last season - but finished 12th in the Premier League.

Hughes said: "Last year was a stand-out season for this club.

"What Roy did was amazing. But because we won't have the ­distraction of the Europe League I expect us to do even better this time around – ­certainly in terms of our league position.

"Whichever club I've been at I've always tried to raise expectations. I'm very ambitious.

"Our first home game is against Manchester United and we will be jumping in with two feet. I am going to enjoy the experience.

"In the Premier League you are playing against some of the best teams in the world. It will be a big test.

"You have to be up for it and ready for it - and you will enjoy the experience more.

"I had a great time as a ­United player, and I also had three fantastic years at Chelsea.

"I had a modicum of success there. So it will be nice to go back to Stamford Bridge.

"Obviously I've still got a lot of friends there."

White Noise

Fan Forums

Over the course of the season the Club hosts a number of Fans Forums addressing a wide range of issues.

Catering Fans Forum

The catering Fans Forum at Craven Cottage took place on the evening of Monday 9th August 2010 at 6:30pm. Guests were treated to complimentary snacks and drinks from the current catering menu.

In addition to assessing the quality of food & drink, feedback was given on other aspects of stadium catering including prices, promotions, outlets and customer service.

Download the Catering Fans Forum Summary (pdf)|

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/SupporterInfo/FanForums/FanForums.aspx#ixzz0wITq2eVM

White Noise

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23865976-youll-be-wrong-to-target-john-terry-says-bobby-zamora.do

You'll be wrong to target John Terry, says Bobby Zamora

Simon Johnson

Bobby Zamora has urged the Wembley crowd not to abuse John Terry tonight, insisting he doesn't deserve to bear the brunt of fans' anger for England's disastrous World Cup.

Zamora is set to win his first cap but fears his experience will be overshadowed by the boo-boys taunting the World Cup flops during the match against Hungary, with Terry expected to be their main target.

The former national captain was accused of upsetting squad harmony in South Africa and questioning Fabio Capello's authority during a press conference he gave following the woeful goalless draw with Algeria.

Terry was also heavily criticised for his display in the 4-1 loss to Germany, which saw England crash out after their heaviest ever defeat in the finals.

There were calls for Terry not to be selected for tonight's friendly but Fulham striker Zamora is adamant the Chelsea skipper was right to keep his place and shouldn't be victimised.

"John is still a top defender," said Zamora, who has been close friends with Terry since they played together as kids at Senrab. "Everyone has their own opinion but it is down to one man, that's the manager and he makes all the decisions. John is a massive figure in the squad and a great player. He has won so much. For whatever reason people want a target and someone has got to take it, that's the way it is.

"Unfortunately, a few people will be targeted tonight, I hope it's not John but that's the way it is. We will be looking to put in a good performance and hopefully silence a few people.

"Much was made of what he said at the World Cup but John was speaking from the heart and he just wanted England to do well. They had gone all that way out there and were away from their families for a very long time, they wanted to win games. I suppose that was the way he tried to voice it."

Terry's form, in a pre-season which has seen Chelsea lose four consecutive games, has given his critics more ammunition.

But Zamora said: "This is a tough time of year when you're doing two training sessions the day before matches. I've played this pre-season with tired legs because of the amount of work I've put in, you can't put in great performances but that's what pre-season is for.

"Everyone is on his and Chelsea's case at the moment but I am sure in a couple of weeks they will be top of the table."

White Noise

THE INSIDER: Rafik Halliche set to seal Fulham switch, West Ham still in for Yakubu and Hull win race for Robert Koren

By Simon Jones - The Insider Last updated at 2:45 PM on 11th August 2010

A 5/5-rating  means The Insider reckons it's a done deal; 0/5 means The Insider has his mortgage on it not happening.

Rafik Halliche

Benfica to Fulham - The Insider says: 4/5 London calling: Algeria defender Halliche (right)
The Algeria defender made his feelings known to Sportsmail during the World Cup that he wanted to come to England and that prompted interest from several parties.

The 23-year-old is still raw but his performance against Wayne Rooney and England left a suitable impression that he could perform at this level.
Although he is a Benfica player he has been on loan at Nacional for the past two seasons and is ambitious to change and carve a career similar to his international teammate Madjid Bougherra.

Talk of an Arsenal move was always wide of the mark but Blackpool, Sunderland, Birmingham and Blackburn all showed interest.

Yet it is Fulham who have stepped forward with a suitable offer and he will travel to London at the end of this week for a medical and two days' training before hopefully completing a £1.5m deal.

Yakubu

Everton to West Ham - The Insider says: 3/5 Hammer them home: Yakubu is a finisher
The Nigeria striker has struggled to rediscover his sharpness since his achilles injury 18 months ago and would probably have benefited from a clear summer of training and fitness work rather than the World Cup.

He had an indifferent tournament in South Africa scoring a couple but missing a few glaring chances yet his confidence is such he will bounce back.

Although he wasn't used as often as he would have liked last season he still managed to bag a couple of important goals and West Ham boss Avram Grant recognises the need for his side to have a quality poacher.

However, West Ham have actually offered less than the £7million bid they put in earlier in the summer to Everton and that has puzzled people at Goodison.

The feeling is that Everton's planned pursuit of West Ham's other striker target Loic Remy may have something to do with it.

Robert Koren

West Brom to Hull - The Insider says: 4/5 Hull of a move: Slovenia skipper Koren
One of the frustrations for Blackpool manager Ian Holloway has been his inability to conclude a deal for free agent Koren.

The Slovenia captain was keen to return to the Premier League and was hopeful of greater interest.

Indeed, that would have come if he had been prepared to wait another fortnight as clubs become more desperate but he didn't want to take any chances and wanted to get back to playing football as quickly as possible.

Leicester were also keen and playing for Paulo Sousa certainly appealed but, as they struggled to get a deal together, Hull stepped in and Nigel Pearson was able to convince the 29-year-old it wouldn't be a step down for long.

He is expected to sign there before the end of the week dashing any lingering hopes of Blackpool and Leicester.

Roque Santa Cruz

Manchester City to Sunderland - The Insider says: 3/5 Down the City pecking order: Santa Cruz
Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones should complete his £7m move to Stoke later today once he has gone through the relevant medical tests and Sunderland will then resume talks with Manchester City for Santa Cruz.

Nedum Onuoha should join Sunderland later today also on loan from City and they hope that may hold some sway in the deal for Santa Cruz.

City would certainly prefer that - short of getting hard cash from elsewhere for the Paraguay striker - but there will be other interested parties who may throw their hat into the ring.

Sunderland are also still working on bringing in Danny Welbeck from Manchester United before the weekend - particularly following Darren Bent's back injury.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1302171/THE-INSIDER-Rafik-Halliche-set-seal-Fulham-switch-West-Ham-Yakubu.html#ixzz0wJ2VHzwV

White Noise

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/08/11/fulham-put-10m-price-tag-on-arsenal-target-mark-schwarzer-82029-27042715/

Fulham put £10m price tag on Arsenal target Mark Schwarzer

Aug 11 2010

By Paul Warburton

FULHAM slapped a £10million price tag on Mark Schwarzer last night to prove that only silly money will prize the star keeper out of their grasp.

New boss Mark Hughes is determined to keep the 37-year-old out of Arsenal's clutches – even if that means letting Schwarzer go for nothing when the Aussie's contract runs out next summer.

For all that, Hughes made it plain only a ridiculous bid would force him to seek a replacement ahead of the opening Premiership match at Bolton tomorrow.

A club insider said: "Everyone has his price. But how much is anyone going to pay for a player – as good as Mark is – in the last year of his contract? I doubt even the wealthiest will match Fulham's valuation."

White Noise

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/837754-england-vs-hungary-key-battles-zamora-v-juhasz-lampard-v-vodocz-terry-v-priskin

England vs Hungary key battles: Zamora v Juhasz, Lampard v Vodocz, Terry v Priskin

England take on Hungary in a friendly at Wembley tonight looking to lay their World Cup demons to rest. Key battles in the game involve Bobby Zamora, Frank Lampard, and John Terry.

Bobby Zamora v Roland Juhasz

Fulham striker Zamora was robbed of a World Cup call-up because of an Achilles injury, but could get his chance to impress after the less-than-prolific Emile Heskey wisely opted to quit international football.

The former Spurs and West Ham targetman netted 21 goals last season – nine in Europe – but faces a tough workout against Anderlecht's 6ft 4in Hungary captain Juhasz.

Zamora is likely to share game time with Carlton Cole and it's more about how both link up with Wayne Rooney in Fab's eyes.
.Frank Lampard v Krisztian Vodocz

His World Cup 'goal' that-never-was should not gloss over a desperately poor tournament for Lampard.

For too long, one of England's seemingly undroppables – but for how much longer can he get away with misplaced passing and wayward shooting against slicker technicians at international level just because of his name?

Imposing Osasuna battler Vadocz is a handy ball distributor with a lethal long-range shot – he might just fancy ruffling Frank's feathers.

John Terry v Tamas Priskin

In his own mind, JT is still really England's captain.

However, at times in South Africa he plodded around like a ponderous, past-his-prime centre-half, whose previous aura of rock-solid dependability had been left in the departure lounge at Heathrow.

Needs to start proving again he deserves to anchor the England defence.

Dangerous Ipswich striker Priskin is likely to lead the Hungarian line and is in lively form already, having scored in Town's 3-1 win at Middlesbrough on Saturday.

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/11082010/58/premier-league-match-facts-bolton-v-fulham.html

Premier League - Match facts: Bolton v Fulham

Opta - Wed, 11 Aug 15:29:00 2010

Facts and figures for Bolton's Premier League clash with Fulham at the Reebok Stadium.

Bolton v Fulham

..This is the fifth Premier League season in succession that Bolton have begun the season at home.

The Trotters have drawn only one of their 11 opening day fixtures in the Premier League.

Fulham have scored exactly one goal in their last four opening day games.

Fulham have won just once in their last six trips away from home to play Bolton.

On the four occasions the Cottagers have failed to score away at Bolton they have secured a draw.

Bolton recouped just four points from losing positions last season, fewer than any other team.

Kevin Davies has conceded the most fouls in six of the last seven Premier League campaigns. Davies' total of 121 in 2009-10 was his highest ever.

Bolton scored the most goals from throw-ins in the 2009-10 Premier League, six.

Bolton committed the most fouls of any team in the 2009-10 Premier League season (564).

No side scored a higher proportion of long range goals than Fulham last season, with 23 per cent of their strikes coming from outside the box.

69 per cent of the goals Fulham scored came in the second half, the highest proportion in the top flight.

Opta

Tom

Welcome back WH! OS5889 did a great job of filling in for you.
Fulham for life!

White Noise

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=813565&sec=england&cc=5739

Switzerland confirm Senderos out for six months

By Soccernet staff

August 11, 2010

The Swiss Football Federation has confirmed that Fulham defender Philippe Senderos is likely to be ruled out for around six months after suffering a ruptured Achilles tendon.

News of the injury to Senderos first emerged on Tuesday night but now his national side have confirmed the severity of the problem sustained during training with Fulham.

Senderos had pulled out of Switzerland's friendly against Austria on Wednesday night due to a toe injury.

"It's an unbelievable setback for Philippe, a terrible blow for him, his club but also for the national team," Switzerland head coach Ottmar Hitzfeld said on Wednesday.

"Senderos had played an important role in my arrangements for the launch of the European Championship qualification matches. He is a leader, on and off the pitch."

It is reported that Senderos, 25, will now be operated on by the same surgeon who treated David Beckham after the midfielder sustained a similar injury in March.

Beckham has still not returned to action for LA Galaxy although he hopes to feature for the MLS side in September.

The news is the latest injury blow to afflict Senderos, who saw his World Cup campaign come to an abrupt end when sustaining an ankle problem in Switzerland's opening game against Spain.

White Noise

Senderos Update

Wednesday 11th August 2010

The Club can confirm that Philippe Senderos underwent surgery on his Achilles tendon in Finland today. The surgery went well, and the Club is hopeful of a return to training within six months.   

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/SenderosUpdate.aspx#ixzz0wKYA3otu