watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (23/02/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 23, 2016, 08:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Chris Baird explains why he jumped at the chance to return to Fulham on loan from Derby County

The 33-year-old is thrilled to be back to help the Whites ahead of their relegation scrap

Open arms: Baird as a former White

Fulham's returning fan favourite Chris Baird is delighted to call Craven Cottage home again after playing in the Whites' 3-0 victory over Charlton.

The Northern Irish midfielder recently received a rapturous reception when he returned to west London in Derby colours in the 1-1 draw earlier this month.

But the 33-year-old is thrilled to be back to help Fulham ahead of their relegation scrap.

He said: "It was fantastic. I had six great years here before, I obviously missed it when i left. When the opportunity arose, there was an option to come back.

"It was a massive win. Three goals and a clean sheet. It was a pretty strange game though, Charlton played well in the first half.

"The manager's changed it in the second half - I thought we were a lot better. In the end, I think we deserved a win."

The Cottagers' new central midfielder played for the Whites during their famous Europa League campaign which culminated in a defeat to Atletico Madrid in 2010.

And the club needed all his experience again as they went into Saturday's relegation clash six points above the relegation zone, against 23rd placed Charlton.

Two goals from Tom Cairney - including one brilliant volley - sandwiched a Michael Madl header as Slavisa Jokanovic's men scrapped to victory.

And Baird admits his experience was a crucial factor in the manager's decision to bring him back to Craven Cottage.

He added: "For me, it was about trying to get some games. I'm not saying I'm going to come straight into the team, I'm going to work for my place.

"The manager has just said he needs my experience, the holding midfielder to go in and help as much as he can, use the experience from previous years and try to just help the team."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chris-baird-explains-jumped-chance-10925926?

WhiteJC

Madl: Special Feeling

Michael Madl's delight at scoring on his home debut was made all the sweeter by his family's presence at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

The Austrian defender came off the bench to head in the second against Charlton Athletic, a goal which was sandwiched by an exquisite Tom Cairney brace to secure a 3-0 win for Fulham.

Speaking the official website, Madl said: "My parents and my brother were watching me for the first time here, too, so it was a special moment for me.

"It was a great feeling to play for the first time here at Craven Cottage. To score is a special feeling for me because I'm not a goal-getter like Rossco or Moussa, so it was a great feeling. We're all very happy to take a win."

After the all-round disappointment of the previous game, the Whites put in a markedly improved attacking display to see off their London rivals on Saturday, and Madl was relieved his side gave a much-needed response to the Blackburn Rovers performance.

"It was very, very important," he explained. "We said beforehand that this was a very important game and I think, especially second half, we played very well and the win was deserved.

"We have to play like this every game. I think we showed it against QPR and against Charlton, and we have to play like this every time. If we manage to do that then we are a very good Championship team."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/february/22/madl-reaction?

WhiteJC

A Q&A with a Fulham fan: Leeds Against The World

Leeds and Fulham are battling for 17th in the Championship on Tuesday night. - Jamie McDonald/Getty Images

Leeds United and Fulham might not have the storied history, but they're two points apart in the Championship and face off on Tuesday night.[/i]

No one really wants to think anymore about that game on Saturday do they? Good. Thankfully, the Leeds United fans and players have a chance to move on quickly, as Tuesday night Leeds face Fulham back at Elland Road.

In the second of our new series "Leeds Against The World," we interviewed Andrew Beck of SB Nation's Cottagers Confidential to see how the enemy sees the game on Tuesday night. As of today, Leeds sits in 17th place with 37 points after 31 games, and Fulham sits in 18th place with 35 points after 32 games. Neither team is excelling, but nine points clear of relegation, neither team looks to be going down either. A lost season for both; let's see if Andrew has any more hope that we do going into Tuesday.

Leeds Against The World: Fulham FC

Hey, Andrew. Thanks for doing this. Both Fulham and Leeds are flirting with the relegation zone in the Championship table, what's been your biggest disappointment as a Fulham fan this season?

The biggest disappointment has been the sacking of Kit Symons. When he was brought in last year, the team didn't really have much choice. He had a great run as the caretaker, and there was no point in not letting him keep the job for the full year. Unfortunately we never got a chance to decide if the job was too big for him. This year we found out that it most definitely was. Because of this, Fulham have spent more than half a season just treading water.

Where do you think you'll end up?

I don't think either Fulham or Leeds are in much danger of going down. The gap between Blackburn and the bottom five is pretty massive in goal differential. I'd expect Fulham to continue to improve under Slavisa and end up somewhere in the 12-15 spots at seasons end. A top 10 finish would make me ecstatic and very high on the squad going into next year.

Have there been any positives in the 2015/16 campaign for Fulham?

Slavisa Jokanovic appears to be a quality coach who wants to be at Fulham. That's a huge plus. It's been since Roy Hodgson that we've had a coach with quality who actually wants to be here. A few of the players brought in on transfers (Cairney, Madl, O'Hara) have been good. Ross McCormack has had another outstanding year, and Fulham have someone managed to hold on to him.

Do you have a favorite Fulham-Leeds memory?

For two clubs that have been around as long as Fulham and Leeds, there isn't a lot of history. I missed out on most of the early games in the Premier League. When I think of Leeds vs. Fulham, I actually mostly think of the transfer saga around Ross McCormack and the banter about how much we paid. He's been worth every cent for what it's worse.

What's one matchup we should watch for on Tuesday?

Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele are an EPL quality strike duo. I'm not sure you'll face a better tandem in the division all year. They've combined for 28 goals and 10 assists in all completions this year (26 and 10 in league play). Considering Leeds has only scored 29 league goals this year, that's a pretty hefty total from them.

Give us a reason you'll win:

Slavisa seems to be a good coach. When he gets a decision wrong (as he did when attempting to use a 4-4-2 against Charlton on the weekend), he's quick to recognize it and right it. If he gets it wrong, you're going to have to pile on before he fixes things, because chances are he will.

Give us a reason you'll lose:

Fulham's defense has been dire all year. Slavisa doesn't seem to want to play it, but a 3-5-2/5-3-2 hybrid formation has been the only thing that has worked for Fulham this year. If he starts the team lined up a different way, the hole could be too big to climb out of before he gets a chance to make a change.

What's your predicted result?

Every time Fulham have ever gotten my hopes up, they've disappointed me soon after. The 3-0 win on the weekend has me feeling good. I'm going to say they win 3-0 again. But all the supporters know what the word Fulhamish means, and a Fulhamish performance wouldn't shock me at all either.

Thanks to Andrew for helping with our second Leeds Against The World Q&A. You can read more of his work, along with that of the rest of his talented team, over at the SB Nation Fulham blog, Cottagers Confidential.

http://throughitalltogether.sbnation.com/2016/2/22/11083194/questions-answers-fulham-leeds-united-against-the-world

WhiteJC

This is why Fulham's Tom Cairney will finally get his way with Leeds next up

Whites midfielder might be forgiven for saying I told you so - after gaffer praises performance and three points against stricken Addicks

Aim, fire: Tom Cairney scores against Charlton

He's been hinting all season - but it looks as if Tom Cairney will finally get his way.

The Fulham midfielder insisted all along he should play in the middle as you can read here - and his brace against Charlton on Saturday looks to have done the trick.

The £4 million Blackburn signing has been used as a winger for most of the campaign. Ex-boss Kit Symons insisted Cairney was better as a wide man coming inside, but the player was less than convinced.

But the new man at the helm thinks he has seen the shape of things to come.

Boss Slavisa Jokanovic said: "After he scores two goals, people can say that he played very good football."

Here's Cairney and co at their best in our super photo gallery from Saturday's win.

"We have started to use him in the middle more, because at the beginning I try to play with him a little more on the side," the head coach added.

"I believe he can offer us more and help us more from the middle.

"Not only his second goal but his first was a great goal. He has enough quality to do these things."

As Fulham prepare to take on Leeds at Elland Road tomorrow night, almost certainly missing will be Scott Parker who needs the rest his 35-year-old frame from the demands in midweek games.

Chris Baird, who came on for Jamie O'Hara at half time against the Addicks, is pencilled in for a start in Parker's defensive midfield slot.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-tom-cairney-finally-way-10926998?

WhiteJC

Leeds United Boss Steve Evans Expects Double Returnee Boost For Fulham

Leeds United boss Steve Evans thinks Liam Cooper and Gaetano Berardi will be available for selection for the Championship clash with Fulham tomorrow evening.

The duo missed the Whites' 1-0 loss to Watford in a fifth round FA Cup game at Vicarage Road on Saturday, owing to injuries.

Swiss defender Berardi has been out of action since picking up an ankle injury during Leeds' goalless draw at Charlton Athletic in December.

On the other hand, Cooper was not fully fit to play against Watford, with the centre-back playing the full 90 minutes of the goalless draw with Middlesbrough last week.

And Evans, who expects the duo to be present in the squad for the Fulham game, however, insisted that winger Mustapha Carayol will not feature against the Cottagers as the winter signing is scheduled to return at the weekend.

"Cooper I think would be fit for Tuesday", he told BBC Radio Leeds following the 1-0 loss at Watford.

"Berardi can make the 18 on Tuesday if he comes through the next couple of days and Carayol [will be back] on Saturday I think."

Leeds are currently 17th in the Championship standings with 37 points from 31 games.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2016/02/22/leeds-united-boss-steve-evans-expects-double-returnee-boost-for-fulham/271883/?

WhiteJC

Tottenham to revive bid to sign Fulham starlet Moussa Dembele in the summer
Moussa Dembele came close to joining Tottenham from Fulham last month
The 19-year-old forward will be a free agent at the end of the season
Ligue 1 outfit Monaco have also shown a firm interest in Dembele

Tottenham will revisit their interest in Fulham forward Moussa Dembele at the end of the season.

The 19-year-old came close to joining the White Hart Lane outfit in January, but both clubs failed to agree on the finer details of a deal.

But Spurs are determined to sign Dembele and will revive their move at the end of the season.

Tottenham will reignite their interest in Moussa Dembele this summer after failing to sign him in January

Fulham striker Dembele (right) has scored 12 goals in 33 appearances so far this campaign

Dembele will be a free agent at the end of the season and is set to net a potentially lucrative move away.

And Spurs will be front of the queue for the youngster as Mauricio Pochettino looks to add even more young talent to his ranks.

Monaco have also shown a firm interest in Dembele.

Dembele has scored 12 goals in 33 appearances for Fulham so far this season.

The 19-year-old has also attracted interest from Monaco after a string of impressive appearances for Fulham

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3458319/Tottenham-revive-bid-sign-Fulham-starlet-Moussa-Dembele-summer.html#ixzz40ye76u24
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Can't Wait For Elland Road Return Says Former Leeds United Hitman

Fulham striker Matt Smith says he is relishing the chance to take on former club Leeds United at Elland Road tomorrow evening.

The 26-year-old marksman, who turned out for Leeds between 2013 and 2014, was sold to Fulham by the Whites in 2014 and put pen to paper on a three-year deal at Craven Cottage.

Smith will have the chance to damage his former side's hopes of breaking into the Championship's top ten this term when Fulham take on Leeds tomorrow night.

Victory for Fulham would see them leapfrog 17th placed Leeds in the standings and Smith is relishing playing at Elland Road once again.

He took to Twitter to post a photograph of himself in action for the Whites.

And the striker wrote: "Leeds bound. Looking forward to a return to Elland Road tomorrow night. Some great memories there!"

Leeds have struggled to score goals on a regular basis this season.

Fulham have hugely outscored the Whites, managing 50 goals in their 32 league games, while Leeds have hit the back of the net only 29 times in 31 games.

Read more: http://www.insidefutbol.com/2016/02/22/cant-wait-for-elland-road-return-says-former-leeds-united-hitman/271988/?#ixzz40yejTj4F

WhiteJC

Giuseppe Bellusci ruled out for Leeds through suspension

Leeds defender Giuseppe Bellusci will miss the home game against Fulham through suspension as he starts a two-game ban after receiving his 10th booking of the season in Saturday's FA Cup defeat at Watford.

Fellow centre-half Liam Cooper is hoping to be fit after missing out at the weekend due to a minor injury, but if he misses out head coach Steve Evans will be short at the back.

Scott Wootton could switch from right-back to central defence with Gaetano Berardi (ankle) closing in on a return after a two-month injury lay-off.

Striker Chris Wood remains sidelined due to the hamstring injury that has kept him out of the last four matches.

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic has no fresh injury or suspension worries.

The Cottagers boss admitted that he got his team line-up wrong in the first half of their 3-0 win against Charlton at the weekend and is likely to shake up his starting 11.

Chris Baird and Michael Madl are expected to start at Elland Road after coming off the bench against the Addicks, while Dan Burn is available after overcoming a hamstring injury.

Cauley Woodrow (broken metatarsal) and Lasse Christensen (hamstring) are both still unavailable.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-league-championship/match/423115/leeds-united-fulham/preview

WhiteJC

Newcastle U21s 0-3 Fulham: Peter Beardsley's second string downed by Cottagers

Newcastle United's Under-21 side were beaten 3-0 at home by Fulham, with Stephen Humphrys grabbing a brace for the visitors

Newcastle United's Under-21 side lost 3-0 to Fulham's second-string side at Whitley Park as defenders Jake Trodd and Ben Kitchen made their debuts.

A brace from Stephen Humphrys and a goal from Mikolaj Kweitniewski were enough to give the Cottagers a comfortable win on Tyneside on Monday afternoon.

Peter Beardsley's side travel to Brighton & Hove Albion next time out, hoping to bounce back from this defeat.

It was the visitors who started the brightest, and they took the lead in the ninth minute when Kweitniewski curled an effort past Freddie Woodman in the United goal.

After Liam Smith had cleared an effort off the line at one end, Beardsley's side responded immediately and Callum Smith was denied an equaliser when his effort smashed back off the woodwork.

It was then Fulham's turn to hit the post, Aaron Redford rattling the woodwork before Ben Pollock gave away a penalty.

Humphrys stepped up to score his first of the afternoon from the spot in the 32nd minute, and at half-time the visitors led 2-0.

The home side started better in the second 45 though, Dan Barlaser testing the Fulham keeper, before Woodman pulled off a save of his own at the other end.

After Humphrys had been denied twice - first by the post, and then by a flying Woodman save - he then wrapped up the victory in injury-time by adding a third.

Newcastle United Under-21s: Woodman, Trodd, Kitchen, L Smith, Pollock, Adu-Peprah, C Smith, Barlaser, McNall, Longstaff, Laidler

Subs: B Smith, Williams, Heaney, Spooner, Loather

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-u21s-0-3-fulham-10929270?

WhiteJC

Leeds v Fulham preview

Giuseppe Bellusci: Suspended for 10 bookings

Leeds defender Giuseppe Bellusci will miss the home game against Fulham through suspension as he starts a two-game ban after receiving his 10th booking of the season in Saturday's FA Cup defeat at Watford.

Fellow centre-half Liam Cooper is hoping to be fit after missing out at the weekend due to a minor injury, but if he misses out head coach Steve Evans will be short at the back.

Scott Wootton could switch from right-back to central defence with Gaetano Berardi (ankle) closing in on a return after a two-month injury lay-off.

Striker Chris Wood remains sidelined due to the hamstring injury that has kept him out of the last four matches.

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic has no fresh injury or suspension worries.

The Cottagers boss admitted that he got his team line-up wrong in the first half of their 3-0 win against Charlton at the weekend and is likely to shake up his starting 11.

Chris Baird and Michael Madl are expected to start at Elland Road after coming off the bench against the Addicks, while Dan Burn is available after overcoming a hamstring injury.

Cauley Woodrow (broken metatarsal) and Lasse Christensen (hamstring) are both still unavailable.

http://www.skysports.com/football/leeds-vs-fulham/preview/339921?

WhiteJC

Marcus Bettinelli back in action for Fulham U21s at Newcastle United - seven months after Hull heartbreak

Whites stricken player plays a big part in getting a welcome win in the far north-east for the junior team - his first game since August

Hell is Hull when you end up like this: Marcus Bettinelli feels the pain

Fulham keeper Marcus Bettinelli made his first tentative steps back to first team action when he kept a clean sheet for the U21s in a 3-0 win at Newcastle United today.

The first-choice shot-stopper for Whites, until the night his world collapsed around him at Hull City in August, stepped out at the Magpies home for reserves and academy, and came through the game unscathed while making two world class saves.

Bettinelli made the breakthrough last season for a struggling Fulham, but when forward Matt Smith accidentally collided with him in the 2-1 defeat at the KC Stadium, both suffered medial ligament damage - with the keeper coming off worst.

Earlier he told the club's website after he was allowed to run again: "It's been a really long road.

"It feels a long time since I was being carried off on a stretcher. It has been tough. But this was the first time I was out running in my football boots.

"It's frustrating and looking out of the gym window and seeing the lads training. But when I went out I was watching it (training) more than running and with Tunners (Ryan Tunnicliffe).

"Me, Matty and Jack Grimmer got known as the Brace brothers around the training ground. I was there for them and they were there for me.

"It was meant to be such a big year for me. But as soon as I hit the deck I knew I was done for a long time."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marcus-bettinelli-back-action-fulham-10929867?

WhiteJC

Bettinelli keeps clean sheet on Fulham return
by DAN on FEBRUARY 22, 2016

Marcus Bettinelli kept a clean sheet on his return to Fulham action as the Under 21 side recorded an impressive 3-0 at Newcastle United this afternoon.

The former England under-21 international, who has been sidelined since straining knee ligaments in a horrible collision with Matt Smith during the defeat at Hull City back in August, made an encouraging return to competitive football – coming through the encounter at Whitley Park unscathed and making two excellent saves in the second half. Bettinelli, who had nailed down the number one spot with a series of assured displays last season, will likely continue to feature for the Under 21s to build up his match sharpness before competing with current first choice keeper Andy Lonergan for a return to the first team.

Fulham's excellent victory on Tyneside was secured by a brace from promising striker Stevie Humphries and an opening goal from Mikolaj Kweitniewski. An outstanding through ball from American teenager Luca de la Torre released Kweitniewski, who curled an unstoppable finish between Newcastle keeper Freddie Woodman. Both sides hit the post before the visitors took a firmer grip on the contest when Ben Pollock brought down Kweitniewski in the box. Humphreys confidently converted the penalty and added a third in second half stoppage time after punishing a poor defensive clearance to put a more convincing gloss on the final scoreline.

NEWCASTLE UNDER-21s: Woodman, Trodd, Kitchen, L Smith, Pollock, Adu-Peprah, C Smith, Barlaser, McNall, Longstaff, Laidler. Subs: B Smith, Williams, Heaney, Spooner, Lowther.

FULHAM UNDER-21s: Bettinelli; Bettinelli, Sheckleford, Davies, Donnelly, Elworthy, Smile, Thorsteinsson (Fossey 51), de la Torre, Kwietniewski; Redford (Walker 69), Humphrys. Subs (not used): Norman.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/02/bettinelli-keeps-clean-sheet-on-fulham-return/?

WhiteJC

Fulham tickets proving popular

Big numbers travelling to Craven Cottage next month.

City are set to be backed by bumper travelling support when they head to Fulham next month.

The Robins haven't visited Craven Cottage since 1997 and it appears fans are looking forward to ending the 19-year absence.

Fans have already snapped up 1,600 tickets for the match in West London on Saturday, March 12th (3pm) and have just received an increased allocation, taking the overall figure to 2,808.

So far 700 tickets have been sold for Saturday's trip to Nottingham Forest, while 230 tickets have been snapped up for the Wolves away game on Tuesday, March 8th.

Read more at http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/fulham-tickets-proving-popular-2968350.aspx#tV0j0chZUsx74sZL.99

WhiteJC

Baird on His Second Fulham Debut

A lot has changed at Craven Cottage since Chris Baird first arrived on the Fulham scene.

Now back at Craven Cottage for a second spell, albeit on loan from Derby County until the end of the season, Baird will have noticed that the Premier League and that wonderful night we reached the Europa League Final, are but distant memories.

These days our primary concern is too make sure our fine club doesn`t drop into the relegation zone and plunge down into League One, a fate that would be too awful to contemplate.

Baird, having joined last week on loan, made his second debut for Fulham coming on as a half-time substitute in our fine 3-0 win over Charlton Athletic, on Saturday, talking to the media about the experience, this is what the thirty-three year-old Irishman had to say,

"A massive win. Three goals, clean sheet. Pretty strange game. Charlton played well in the first half.

"The manager`s changed it in the second half - I thought we were a lot better. We are not in a great position but you can see the quality is there."

It sure is, it just needs knitting together and cajoling along.

Nice to see you back though Chris.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=436211#ixzz40yheYX3Z

WhiteJC

Leeds United v Fulham

Leeds have failed to score in five of their past nine league games against Fulham

How to follow
BBC Coverage:
Listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

TEAM NEWS

Leeds defender Giuseppe Bellusci is suspended for two games after picking up his 10th booking of the season against Watford in the FA Cup.

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic has revealed he has no fresh injury concerns.

But defender Dan Burn will return to the side after a hamstring problem.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
Leeds have failed to score in five of their past nine league games against Fulham (W3 D2 L4).
Fulham have only won one of their past seven second tier games at Elland Road (D2 L4).
Tom Cairney has scored in two of his past three for Fulham. He had gone 18 games in all competitions without scoring prior to that.
Fulham have won just one of their past nine games on the road (D3 L5).

WhiteJC

If Leeds drop Scott Wootton following FA Cup howler, Marco Silvestri's place should also come into serious question

The goalkeeper was arguably just as responsible for the goal that knocked the Whites out of the FA Cup.

Steve Evans may feel forced to drop Scott Wootton for Leeds' game with Fulham on Tuesday after the defender's own goal proved to be the difference during the Whites' FA Cup tie with Watford on Saturday, but if he decides to drop the 24-year-old because of the mistake, then Marco Silvestri's place should also be in some doubt for the visit of the Cottagers.

Despite having little danger around him, Wootton managed to volley Ben Watson's cross into the bottom corner during the early stages of the second-half at Vicarage Road.

And while the majority of the 4,200 supporters in the away end let Evans know exactly what they thought of his decision to continually select the defender at right-back, his mistake would arguably have not been anywhere near as costly if Silvestri had made his mind up about whether he was coming for the cross or staying on his line.

As Wootton had his back to a sizeable amount of the play by the time the ball was flying across the six-yard box, the Italian would have had a much better view, so should have known that there was much less danger than his teammate appeared to think there was.

Secondly, if he had been more decisive, he may have been able to cut out the cross before it reached Wootton at the back post, while if he had decided to stay on his line, he would have almost certainly been able to prevent the defender's attempted clearance from finding the back of the net.

However, an incident such as this appears to have been on the cards for several weeks, and may well happen again if Evans does not show to both Wootton and Silvestri that he is willing to drop them.

During the first-half against the Hornets, the 24-year-old threatened to fly out to try and collect a corner that was never in his path. Luckily for Evans' men on that occasion, Miguel Britos was unable to steer his header on target, as if he had managed to do so, and had got enough loop on the attempt, he may have managed to exploit the recklessness with which Silvestri had moved off his line.

While the former Chievo man's shot-stopping ability has been impressive on numerous occasions this season - and has kept his side in games at times - his decision-making is not the only aspect of his game that should worry United fans, as his distribution remains a concern.

Although some may be wary that currently Evans' only other option would be to throw Bailey Peacock-Farrell into the side if he was to drop Silvestri, the 16 point gap separating the Whites from the Championship's top six suggests that the final 15 games of the campaign may be the perfect opportunity for the youngster to show why he is so highly-rated at Elland Road.

The 19-year-old will not be the finished article, but with the play-off places such a long way away, Evans will surely have no better chance to give the academy graduate a run in the team without the pressure of worrying about making a mistake. Plus, it will show to Silvestri that he needs to maintain a high standard if he wishes to remain in the team.

If Evans is to achieve his aim of challenging for promotion next season (via Yorkshire Evening Post), then he is almost certainly not going to be keen on the idea of turning to his substitute goalkeeper if he is still unexposed to the demands of first-team football, so will find himself having to continue to select a stopper who every so often makes a huge blunder.

While Wootton cannot defend his mistake, it could have been a lot less significant to the overall result against Watford had his goalkeeper not made a mistake of his own in the build up, and for that reason, it seems somewhat unfair - and would arguably prove the wrong decision - if one is dropped while the other maintains their place in the side.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/02/22/if-leeds-drop-scott-wootton-for-fa-cup-howler-marco-silvestris-p/?

WhiteJC

Can Leeds get back to winning ways against the cottagers?

Leeds United and Fulham meet at Elland Road on Tuesday night with three important points up for grabs.

Leeds can now concentrate on their position in the Championship after going out of the FA Cup at the weekend.

Currently on 37 points, Leeds will be hoping to pull further away from the relegation places with a win against Fulham.

Fulham have shown signs of a revival recently and their win over Charlton Athletic on Saturday moved them to within two points of Leeds.

Read more: http://www.leeds.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=436230#ixzz40yimmifH

WhiteJC

Predicted 4-2-3-1 Leeds United Lineup Vs Fulham: Cooper And Mowatt To Start

After being knocked out of the FA Cup in disappointing fashion by Watford, Leeds United will return to Elland Road to host fellow Championship strugglers Fulham. Leeds are winless in their last three games and will come up against a side who are in good form after having won their last two games by scoring a combined six goals.

The defeat against Watford once again showed what Leeds have been lacking whole season; a good and proven goal scorer. There were moments when the Leeds fans thought they were in with a chance of scoring but the attackers simply weren't good enough in the final third and the Watford defense was relatively untested.

Relegation is unlikely for Steve Evans' side and with nothing to play for, the game could be a dull one. The two sides are separated by two points, although Fulham have played a game more. The last time these two faced off, the game ended 1-1. We could be in for another stalemate.

Here's how the hosts are expected to line up for the upcoming clash.

Marco Silvestri will line up in goal. In front of him, we are likely to see the return of centre-back Liam Cooper. The 24-year old will play in place of Giuseppe Bellusci as the Italian will start the first of his two-game ban tomorrow. Cooper is expected to line up alongside Sol Bamba at the back.

Scott Wootton and Charlie Taylor will play as the two full-backs. Wootton's awful clearance ended up in his own net against Watford and the 24-year old will want to make up for a poor game against the Hornets.

Alex Mowatt could start alongside Liam Bridcutt in the central midfield. Mowatt is yet to feature in a full game after making his return from an injury. Lewis Cook could play as the attacking midfielder and he'll be supported by the duo of Start Dallas and Souleymane Doukara the wide areas. Doukara will drift inwards more often considering he is a centre-forward.

Mirco Antenucci will lead the line once again. The Italian got into some good positions but lacked the end product as his goal drought continues.

http://the4thofficial.net/2016/02/22/predicted-4-2-3-1-leeds-united-lineup-vs-fulham-cooper-and-mowatt-to-start/?

WhiteJC

Match Leeds United And Our Quality Will Show Through Insists Fulham Star

Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney insists that it will be important for his side to build on their impressive last result at Elland Road against Leeds United on Tuesday.

The 25-year-old found the back of the net twice this Saturday as his side beat fellow Championship outfit Charlton Athletic 3-0 at home to create distance between themselves and the relegation zone.

Consistency has been key issue for the Cottagers this season with Slavisa Jokanovic's side having lost two, won two and drawn one of their last five league matches.

Cairney wants his side to start to build winning momentum and is therefore eager to see his side replicate their weekend win at Elland Road where they are scheduled to take on Steve Evans' Leeds tomorrow.

According to former Hull man, it will be important for his side to match the hosts in all the departments, something which he feels will allow Fulham's quality shine through.

Speaking about Saturday's result, the midfielder said in an interview with his club's official website: "I think we owed it to ourselves. Our form against QPR was brilliant.

"It was disappointing the way things went on Tuesday night [with our defeat to Blackburn]."

Speaking about the weekend's positive performance, Cairney added: "We had to put it right. We have done it in the best style in the end.

"We will need to go to Elland Road full of confidence.

"If we make sure our attitude is right and we match them in every department then hopefully our quality will come through."

Read more: http://www.insidefutbol.com/2016/02/22/match-leeds-united-and-our-quality-will-show-through-insists-fulham-star/272018/#ixzz40ykIFAWR

WhiteJC

BETTINELLI MAKES FIRST TENTATIVE STEPS BACK

Fulham keeper Marcus Bettinelli made his first tentative steps back to first team action when he kept a clean sheet for the U21s in a 3-0 win at Newcastle United today.

The first-choice shot-stopper for Whites, until the night his world collapsed around him at Hull City in August, stepped out at the Magpies home for reserves and academy, and came through the game unscathed while making two world class saves.

Bettinelli made the breakthrough last season for a struggling Fulham, but when forward Matt Smith accidentally collided with him in the 2-1 defeat at the KC Stadium, both suffered medial ligament damage - with the keeper coming off worst.

Earlier when he was allowed to run again he said: "It's been a really long road.

"It feels a long time since I was being carried off on a stretcher. It has been tough. But this was the first time I was out running in my football boots.

"It's frustrating and looking out of the gym window and seeing the lads training. But when I went out I was watching it (training) more than running and with Tunners (Ryan Tunnicliffe).

"Me, Matty and Jack Grimmer got known as the Brace brothers around the training ground. I was there for them and they were there for me.

"It was meant to be such a big year for me. But as soon as I hit the deck I knew I was done for a long time."

http://www.fulhamweb.co.uk/news/bettinelli-makes-first-tentative-steps-back.aspx?