watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our lack of ability to pass the ball upfront

Started by Robbie, February 24, 2016, 06:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

Anyone else notice that we have a bad development at the moment where our strikers and attacking mid-fielders are just not passing the ball during critical attacking phases?

From live matches and highlights, I reckon we have surrendered five (almost certain) goals in the last six matches.

SJ has tutor the guys on this ...

copthornemike

We have looked a bit toothless in some games I agree - but in the QPR match the midfield threaded some good balls between defenders and Ross + Dembele were thriving on them.

So the ability is there - it is putting into practice consistently which is the problem.

bobbo

I'm right with the post here we turn backwards too many times when it looks difficult to get the ball forward, instead of making that extra effort to get it forward. Yep we managed it against a poor Qpr on the day but when it's more difficult that ball always goes in the wrong direction.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

The Old Count

Quote from: bobbo on February 24, 2016, 09:47:18 PM
I'm right with the post here we turn backwards too many times when it looks difficult to get the ball forward, instead of making that extra effort to get it forward. Yep we managed it against a poor Qpr on the day but when it's more difficult that ball always goes in the wrong direction.
I think a lot of it is a confindence issue.  Fear of making a mistake / losing the ball etc. I reckon we'll improve in this area and a few others when we start, hopefully, to string a few results together.

bobbo

Yep old count I hope so too. I reckon confidence plays a big part. But I 've got to say all the early SJ doubters are being proved wrong . It's showing - the improvement  - and will show more when he's able to get in a couple of players of his choice.

1975 just leaving home full of hope

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Robbie on February 24, 2016, 06:59:42 PM
Anyone else notice that we have a bad development at the moment where our strikers and attacking mid-fielders are just not passing the ball during critical attacking phases?

From live matches and highlights, I reckon we have surrendered five (almost certain) goals in the last six matches.

SJ has tutor the guys on this ...

Can't see it myself.
Tell me more?

Nero

think it down to lack of movement sometimes by the front players and lack of midfielder making runs into the box

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Nero on February 25, 2016, 10:16:49 AM
think it down to lack of movement sometimes by the front players and lack of midfielder making runs into the box

I agree. The forwards should be looking to make runs beyond the defenders. Too often Dembele and McCormack are static with their backs to the goal and slow to get in to the box when their is potential for a cross. McCormack, in particular, is often out wide or just too deep.

I have been pleased to see Cairney playing futher forward and getting involved. We need more of that from the other midfielders.

MJG

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on February 25, 2016, 10:45:07 AM

I agree. The forwards should be looking to make runs beyond the defenders. Too often Dembele and McCormack are static with their backs to the goal and slow to get in to the box when their is potential for a cross. McCormack, in particular, is often out wide or just too deep.

I have been pleased to see Cairney playing futher forward and getting involved. We need more of that from the other midfielders.
I know its vogue to have a go at Dembele but the amount of times both forwards do actually make a run and the ball doesn't arrive is quite a bit. Its an issue already touched on that we do hold on a bit too much and don't play it early enough. I think SJ is trying to change that and it was one of the features of Watford about how fast their transition from defence to attack was quick.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: MJG on February 25, 2016, 11:21:02 AM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on February 25, 2016, 10:45:07 AM

I know its vogue to have a go at Dembele but the amount of times both forwards do actually make a run and the ball doesn't arrive is quite a bit. Its an issue already touched on that we do hold on a bit too much and don't play it early enough. I think SJ is trying to change that and it was one of the features of Watford about how fast their transition from defence to attack was quick.

I agree that it is not all down to the forwards. The midfielders need to be looking for the forward pass, ideally before they receive the ball. We also need more options. It was good to see Fredericks and Garbutt being more effective against Leeds than most of our wide players so far this season. Similarly if the midfielders such as Cairney and O'Hara can offer another threat by taking more shots it will give the opposition defence more to think about. And the confidence gained from better performances and points gained will help. Still, I would like to see the forwards making more runs demanding the through ball and pointing out when they don't get it, challenging the midfielders to make the passes.