So many questions for Jokanovic and to a lesser extent Rigg to answer

Started by FulhamStu, February 25, 2016, 08:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chutney

Quote from: MJG on February 25, 2016, 02:09:28 PM
Quote from: Statto on February 25, 2016, 01:50:13 PM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on February 25, 2016, 01:21:12 PM
Quote from: Statto on February 25, 2016, 12:11:32 PM
Sentiment seems to affect fans' views of certain players. Personally I'd want most of our youth players (Bettinelli, Burn, Evans, Grimmer... and Woodrow for that matter) and the 35/36 year old Baird all kept well away from the first XI if we're genuinely hoping to go up next year. And naturally we've already written off Labyad (on whom we've an option to extend) and Stearman, it seems.

I don't understand this. Bettinelli and Burn are first team regulars. Woodrow is on the fringes but would benefit from a loan spell to get regular games. Grimmer should be mature enough after his loan spell to be challenging for a place.

We went out and bought the best part of a team over the summer and found that half of those were no better or comparable to those 'youth' players we already had. We need to develop a team and constant turnover interferes with that.

The 'youth' got us 1 pt in 7 games under Magath.

Bringing in some new players has saved us from double relegation but not got us any higher than 17th last season, 18th so far this season. Evidently we need more quality.

I'm not suggesting another overhaul - just a few new players - just so happens I don't think betinnelli, burn et al are good enough for the first 11 if the objective is promotion
Magath''s misuse of the Youth players got us 1 in 7 also that's 18 months ago now

Completely agree, it's not fair to judge a side from over a season a go managed by a mad man, he had Cameron Burgess playing in midfield, and lets not forget the Dan Burn at right back moment....

Before his Injury this season Woodrow had replaced Dembele in the side and was playing very well, hopefully he comes back just as strong, our "youth" are definitely good enough, some of the best young players in the division, certainly in the case of Grimmer, he is as good as our other options at RB. LVC is another one easily good enough for a promotion push. George Williams is a full Wales international and if it wasn't for his horrific injury would of been a starter on the wing for us by now.

Its a shame we will lose Hyndman as he is a class act (likewise Dembele) but we have other options and more players coming through below them.

Our "youth" are of a very good standard.

C O Y W

alfie

Sentiment seems to affect fans' views of certain players. Personally I'd want most of our youth players (Bettinelli, Burn, Evans, Grimmer... and Woodrow for that matter) and the 35/36 year old Baird all kept well away from the first XI if we're genuinely hoping to go up next year. And naturally we've already written off Labyad (on whom we've an option to extend) and Stearman, it seems.
to

Who has written off Labyad?
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

FPT

What I love about posts like these is that it's complete fantasy and I can put myself into that world as if anybody cares. I do tend to go on to an extent where I feel people don't read it so I'm going to try and put it as simply as possible answering yours first.

Whilst I don't think Andy Lonergan is a promotion pushing goalkeeper - I think he's a more an adequate no.2 or no.3 depending on how Slavisa Jokanovic feels about Marcus Bettinelli. If you believe reports (and they seemed fairly accurate) Jokanovic wanted Alex McCarthy on loan in January but that move would only happen were Crystal Palace to sign Rob Green from QPR. Jokanovic won't have seen Bettinelli in action yet so that's one to watch. For me, Bettinelli and Lonergan as 1/2 is fine, though wouldn't complain with McCarthy coming in the summer either.

For me, right back is a position for us where you really have to be looking at building the perfect team to see a new one as a priority. I think Jack Grimmer would do a very tidy job at right back in a flat back four with Ryan Fredericks the option when switching to a wing back formation. I see value in keeping Richards around to compete a right back and provide cover for left back and midfield if necessary.

Centre backs an interesting one I think at the least we release Shaun Hutchinson and lose Nikolay Bodurov (whether that's selling or loaning to contract end, I'm not too bothered). I think Dan Burn has earned a new contract, Michael Madl will earn a permanent move and Fernando Amorebieta will stay around. Then maybe we're looking at Tim Ream or Richard Stearman - selling one and then bringing another centre back to start to give us 5 central defenders with potential to play with a flat back four or with three centre backs.

As for left back and right wing (I could argue the need for two wingers), I'm sure we're looking at this already and looking all the time. James Husband permanently would be nice.

Obviously Scott's decision will be in his hands in terms of retiring. As good as he's been, we should probably look at moving on (and removing the wages) but maybe fuel his want to coach with a role under Slavisa with the first team or Peter Grant with the U21s. In 2014, the Daily Mail said that the average wage of a Championship player in £486k a year (a shade under £10k a week). I feel like Scott will be on a fair bit more than that average.

O'Hara for me depends on other options, he's done ok and probably just about has earned another year. As MJG, he'd add to a good base to build a central midfield upon. I must say, my ears pricked up when I heard that Hull may not offer Tom Huddlestone a new contract at the end of the season.

With Alex I'm not really too bothered. If he stays, a useful squad player - if he doesn't, no real loss. He's 7 months younger than Tom Cairney and we're still waiting for that moment for Kacaniklic to come of man. He plays like a boy in a bad way, he appears to be fearful and not willing to take responsibility.

I'd keep Baird especially if Parker leaves and even more so if O'Hara goes. He's still got ability, he's great depth, he's a strong personality. I think Baird can play a full schedule, owing to not really being injured in his career - whereas Scotty missed two half seasons at Spurs and West Ham - could probably add this year to the list. He's looking stiffer despite his form.

Ross is an interesting one, if he wants to go, why not? Maybe Slavisa could build for a the 433 he initially started with here (and has stated he wants to play like Barcelona, which reading between the lines = 433).

As for Moussa and Emerson, we're pretty much banking on him either signing a new contract or staying in England. He stays in England? We could get £5m-£6m from compensation; Emerson will be much less seeing as he's not an established first team player, nor will he have been offered the same as Dembele. If both go abroad? Maybe £350k each.

I'm sure everyone knows where they lie for the summer and shortlists/scouting reports are being written up as we speak.

Ending with Slavisa, I really think he's the right man that can be here for a long time. I'd look at a two year extension on his current contract (which ends next season). That's three seasons time and evaluate then - give him the time and stick to the deal, if we get promoted? A new and improved contract of course.

MJG

Well think the Ross here next season question has been answered.

@jolslover

Are the current goal keepers good enough------ Yes probably
Are the right backs incl Grimmer good enough-------Yes I think Grimmer Fredericks and Richards are a good selection
Who to retain and discard from out central defenders---- Keep Burn,Madl,Ream and Nando maybe look to sign 1 more. Angella maybe? Started every game for Joka at Watford
Who to bring in to play left back----- Husband. Not sure if Evans is ready as back up? Been used as a sub for Oxford? Fabio is on a free? 
Who to bring in to play right MF---- Gudmundson if Charlton go down (Looking likely), Maybe Gnabry on loan?
Will Parker retire if not what to offer him------- I think Parker will probably retire, Maybe a player/coach deal?
Do we give O'Hara an extension-------- no, controversial one, Definitely no if Parker stays
Same question for Kaka--------- No, controversial one, Probably on big wages
Shall we try and keep Baird----- No, controversial one, Too old and we can do better
Do we cash in on McCormack if he wants out---- Probably, if he does want out. Although hes just signed a new deal
How much can we get for Dembele and Hyndman--- Nothing, they will both leave on frees
Who will play up front next season----- Mccormack and a new striker

And the biggest one of all for Rigg, what contract extension can and should we get Jokanovic to sign.---- Hopefully an extra year
STH H3

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Statto on February 25, 2016, 01:50:13 PM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on February 25, 2016, 01:21:12 PM

I don't understand this. Bettinelli and Burn are first team regulars. Woodrow is on the fringes but would benefit from a loan spell to get regular games. Grimmer should be mature enough after his loan spell to be challenging for a place.

We went out and bought the best part of a team over the summer and found that half of those were no better or comparable to those 'youth' players we already had. We need to develop a team and constant turnover interferes with that.

The 'youth' got us 1 pt in 7 games under Magath.

Bringing in some new players has saved us from double relegation but not got us any higher than 17th last season, 18th so far this season. Evidently we need more quality.

I'm not suggesting another overhaul - just a few new players - just so happens I don't think betinnelli, burn et al are good enough for the first 11 if the objective is promotion

Well, this is getting really weird now. How you can make any judgement about any player based on how they played under Magath is bizarre. And that was 18 months / 2 years ago. The 'youth' has developed since then.

Mince n Tatties

Grimmer did alright when he moved from RB to
a more central position against Manure for the
second half..

MJG

I think some peoples expectations of the type of squad we will have or need next year need reigning in.
You need at least 25 players and more so you cant just get rid of everyone and start again.
Players like Burn, Woodrow, Williams etc. No matter what you personally think of them as first teamers, they are at least useful squad members. As much as you would like 25 top quality players where if one drops out the same quality comes in, thats just not going to happen.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: MJG on February 25, 2016, 04:20:43 PM
I think some peoples expectations of the type of squad we will have or need next year need reigning in.
You need at least 25 players and more so you cant just get rid of everyone and start again.
Players like Burn, Woodrow, Williams etc. No matter what you personally think of them as first teamers, they are at least useful squad members. As much as you would like 25 top quality players where if one drops out the same quality comes in, thats just not going to happen.

Precisely that.
Plus people don't realise that not many top players
are going to want to come to us.

westcliff white

Statto whilst I know it's mild please do not throw around insults to or at other posters

Cheers
Every day is a Fulham day

Domino1879

Well we all know that its our defensive capabilities that has been the big issue for the last few seasons, so start at the back.

'Are the current goal keepers good enough?'.............No imo (though I reserve judgement on Betts till he comes back).
We need a keeper who commands his area - not just a shot stopper.  Get that right and it gives confidence to the whole team.

Quote from: Statto on February 25, 2016, 04:48:12 PM
To be fair all I said was they weren't good enough for the first XI but predictably some loons go off the rails when you question our sacred youth

Your 'justification' for the 'youth' not being good enough was how the team played 18 months ago under the most bonkers manager we have ever had hence the responses.

Yours affectionately,

A. Loon

Quote from: Domino1879 on February 25, 2016, 05:15:28 PM
Well we all know that its our defensive capabilities that has been the big issue for the last few seasons, so start at the back.

'Are the current goal keepers good enough?'.............No imo (though I reserve judgement on Betts till he comes back).
We need a keeper who commands his area - not just a shot stopper.  Get that right and it gives confidence to the whole team.

How true is it that good goalkeepers these days dominate their areas? Do Hart, Cech or  Courtois? Most seem to stay on their lines although the Ausburg goalie tonight is catching the ball from corners.

FulhamStu

Thanks for your great replies.  For me there is only one major issue at the moment and that is that Jokanovic is given time, money and authority in who he want in and out.   A great coach can make a good team from average players, he can make a great team from good players and a promoted team from very good players.  We do have good and very good players.  We also have some average players, so with some serious but sensible investment, some great / tough management we can get ourselves into a position where promotion next season is a real possibility.   Jokanovic needs to continue to improve our weaknesses this season and be given serious backing in the close season and we could then be looking at a fantastic, exciting and potentially promotion season 2016/2017.

FulhamStu

To add, I've just listened to the McCormack interview by Sarah Brooks. 
There are a few VERY important things to take from this, including the photos of Khan with Ross. 
Clearly Ross has been told that we will be investing money in building steam for promotion,
Clearly Ross has been assured that Jokanovic will be supported by the owner,
Clearly Ross is now confident that the coach is good enough to create a team capable of challenging for promotion.

Without wanting to get too carried away, I think this is a big move forward, I seriously get the impression that we have, as a club, turned a corner.

millsy

I agree FulhamStu that the Ross interview and video gives rise to confidence, for 2 reasons:

1. Looks like we're holding on to our 20 goal per season striker, who we were all led to believe no longer wanted to play for us and had, under pressure, agreed to stay on until the summer and then away.

2. He has clearly seen close up the impact of our new management and believes that we are planning for a good summer of recruitment in readiness for a promotion push next year. This bears out the feeling many of us have formed over recent weeks, albeit from the outside looking in.

I've said many times on here that I think we have a decent squad and Joka's recent loans in (particularly Madl) have only served to reinforce that view. Assuming no further restrictions, surely we can look forward to some serious squad changes in the summer to plug the remaining gaps.

Thumbs up from Ross speaks more than words for me.

St Eve

Interesting reviews, but the real question is how many are premiership standard?

Twig

Quote from: St Eve on February 26, 2016, 02:56:12 AM
Interesting reviews, but the real question is how many are premiership standard?

I think you getting a tiny bit ahead of yourself (though I like the optimism) but interestingly, in a lot of cases it is only apparent who can cut it in the prem when players are tested in that standard. Some thrive others flatter to deceive.

filham

Hasn't anyone noticed that players' performances are changing under Jokanovic and it is much too early to make decisions for lots of players worth for next season.
I feel right now that Stearman has failed at the Cottage and a move at the end of the season would be good for him and the club. However I am conscious that he could come back into the team tomorrow, play well and by the end of the season become an automatic choice in the back four.