watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (05/03/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 05, 2016, 06:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Chris Hughton frustrated by Rohan Ince's lack of game time at Fulham

Rohan Ince in action for Albion

ALBION boss Chris Hughton is frustrated by Rohan Ince's lack of game time with Championship rivals Fulham.

The midfielder has played for just 57 minutes in six matches since joining Fulham on loan for the rest of the season at the end of the January transfer window.

Ince was substituted at half-time by Craven Cottage chief Slavisa Jokanovic on his debut against Derby. He has made only one appearance since then, as a late substitute at QPR.

Hughton told The Argus: "We never judge, because when somebody goes on loan they've got to do well enough for the manager to pick them.

"They've got to do the right things, the manager has got to like them enough – there are so many things that come into it. Sometimes we might take a player on loan and it doesn't work out for what ever reason but it's always disappointing. That can change at any time. We hope he gets the games that he needs."

Fulham can do Albion a favour at home to Burnley on Tuesday after visiting Reading tomorrow. Ince will not be able to play against the Seagulls when the Londoners come to the Amex on April 15.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/14320176.Hughton_frustrated_by_Ince_s_lack_of_game_time_at_Fulham/?

WhiteJC

Opposition View: Nicky Shorey

Reading legend Nicky Shorey, now at Colchester United, recalls his two spells with the Royals as well as a brief but enjoyable loan stint at Fulham.

How did the move to Reading come about in 2001?

I was at Leyton Orient at the time and I went and had a week-long trial at Reading. I played one reserve game, went back to Orient and then Alan Pardew signed me for Reading for about £25,000.

What were the highlights of your time there?

The first promotion on the last day of the 2001/02 season at Brentford was unbelievable under Pardew. We then got a second promotion to the Premier League in 2006, breaking the points record in the process. We then carried that on into the Premier League, finishing ninth in our first season, which for a club like Reading was unbelievable.

Who did you play alongside in that time?

So many good players. Marcus Hahnemann was an eccentric character. He loved his cowboy boots, but even to this day, he was one of the best keepers I played with - he was very underrated. Then there was Graeme Murty, Steve Sidwell, Dave Kitson, James Harper, I could go on and on.

You earned two England caps during your time at Reading. Should you have had more than that?

It was the years when Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge were the main men. To get two from where I'd come from in the lower leagues was incredible. I was happy with my pair!

Why did you leave Reading for Aston Villa in 2008?

Reading had been relegated but it was time to move on whether they'd stayed up or not. Villa came in for me, I went up there to talk them and was blown away by the size of the club, the tradition, the history, everything about the place. It was the next natural step for me to progress my career.

You had a loan spell at Fulham in 2010 – did you enjoy your brief time at the Cottage?

I loved it, absolutely loved it. I only played 11 games in league and cup but it was a great place to be. I couldn't play in the Europa League, but we were unbeaten in my first seven matches. I have nothing but good memories of my brief time at the Cottage. With the run to the Europa League Final, there was a real buzz about the place.

They say never go back, but you returned to Reading in 2012...

I knew Brian McDermott from my first spell at the club so it was an easy decision. It was a good experience, I enjoyed going back, although it didn't work out the way we all wanted it to.

You had a spell in India with Pune City last year – what was that like?

It was very good, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd tell anyone to give it a go. I never thought I'd play abroad, especially at the age I am now, but I went there and loved it. I'd definitely go back if the chance arose.

And now you're at League One Colchester under former Fulham Under-18 boss Kevin Keen – it's been a bit of a struggle this season, though, hasn't it?

I've come in halfway through the season and it's a very young squad. It's a club that's geared around trying to bring youngsters through and giving them opportunities but it's been one of those seasons where results haven't gone the way we would have liked. We're still fighting, we're playing good football but not getting the reward. The youngsters are learning on the job so it's a tough environment, but it will stand them in good stead in years to come.

What have you made of Fulham and Reading this season?

I've seen bits and bobs of Fulham, but more of Reading as my dad still works there. I still watch them quite a lot and try and get to games when I can. Reading are in the FA Cup Quarter-Final and it's an exciting time for them. It has been a struggle for Fulham this season, there's been a lot of changes, with managers and players coming and going, which is unusual for what was such a stable club for so many years.

And if we had to push you for a score prediction for Saturday?

I'll go for a narrow Reading win. They've got a bit of confidence about them at the minute, they had a good away win at Charlton and I think they'll just edge it.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/march/04/opposition-view-nicky-shorey-reading?

WhiteJC

Reading v Fulham

BBC coverage
How to follow:
Listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

TEAM NEWS
Reading striker Matej Vydra is due back in training following a hamstring injury but is not expected to feature.

Otherwise, manager Brian McDermott has a fully fit squad available.

Fulham defender Richard Stearman is suspended after receiving a red card late in the home defeat by Middlesbrough.

Defender Ryan Fredericks (back) is a doubt, while full-back Fernando Amorebieta is available again having served a one-match ban.

MATCH FACTS
There have been 24 goals scored in the last five encounters between the sides (13 for Reading and 11 for Fulham).
Fulham have won their last two league games against the Royals and are looking to win three on the bounce for the first time since April 1999.
Reading's last league game - the 4-3 win over Charlton - saw as many goals scored as the previous six matches involving the Royals combined.
There have been a league-high 107 goals scored in matches involving Fulham this season (51 scored, 56 conceded).
Yann Kermorgant has been directly involved in four of Reading's last five goals (two goals, two assists).
Tom Cairney has scored four of Fulham's last five goals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35675464

WhiteJC

Fulham boss slams side for 'surrender' against Middlesbrough and warns repeat at Reading is not an option

Joka warns his players ahead of trip to the Madejski Stadium there had better be a Royal performance - or else

Unhappy: Slavisa Jokanovic

Slavisa Jokanovic expects drastic changes at Reading tomorrow after Fulham's surrender last weekend.

The Whites boss had to suffer 70 minutes of second-gear football once Middlesbrough went 2-0 ahead and read the riot act as a result of the capitulation.

He said: "I expect the players learned a lesson; me too.

"Physically we should be stronger. They (Boro) played with more passion.

"We found difficulties, and after 20 minutes we surrendered. We are dead, and it's not acceptable.

"We had 70 minutes more and we can't after half an hour say everything is done and we're going to wait until next week and the next game.

"We were without energy and belief – and this is not acceptable.

"At the end if a side plays better, then you shake hands and look towards the next game. This happens at 5pm - not after half an hour."

One back: Moussa Dembele scores the first against Reading earlier in the season

That went deep with the Serb who won promotion with Watford last term, but despite only seven points separating him from the relegation zone, he insists Fulham won't be visiting the likes of Scunthorpe next season

"The team is not going to be relegated," he added. "I'm optimistic and I didn't come here to be a loser.

"We have had three depressing years at Fulham and we have to find something different, and that is what we're aiming for."

Reading also pose big problems, says Jokanovic, despite a terrific 4-2 win over the Royals at home in October when they came back from 2-0 down.

"They played better football in the last month. They're very fast and competitive, and they made a great result last week," he added.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-slams-side-surrender-10989895?

WhiteJC

New Arsenal Date

Fulham Under-21s' home fixture against Arsenal, originally scheduled for Friday 18th March at Craven Cottage, will now take place on Wednesday 9th March (7pm) at Motspur Park.

Fans are welcome to attend this fixture, with tickets available on the day for £3 for adults and £1 for concessions. Season Ticket Holders can attend for free on production of their card.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/march/04/new-arsenal-date?

WhiteJC

Ahead of the game: The Royals host the Cottagers

Reading vs Fulham
Sky Bet Championship
Madejski Stadium
Saturday 5th March 2016, 3pm

The Royals host Fulham this weekend at the Mad Stad who currently sit 20th in the Sky Bet Championship, seven points above the Rotherham United and the drop zone.

The last time the two teams met in Berkshire in September 2014 the Reading came away with all three points in a convincing 3-0 win over the Cottagers.

Earlier in the season at Craven Cottage it was Fulham that secured the victory however, in a thrilling 4-2 win against the Royals coming from two goals down, a result that Reading will looking to put right when the two sides take to the pitch on Saturday.

TRAVEL NEWS
A reminder to fans that as of Saturday Worton Grange Carpark is no longer in use for Royals fans, so we advise fans to make an alternative arrangement for parking in the area.

The club are providing additional bus services to supporters in the area.

Following closure of the Worton Grange Car Park we collected postcodes of supporters parking there.  As a result we have arranged additional buses as follows:

Reading Buses Services
F1 Town Centre Shuttle Service– Direct non stop service from the SW terminus at Reading Station, commencing at 1pm – continuous service.
F22 starting at Tilehurst – duplicate bus provided
F32 starting at Woodley – duplicate bus provided

Stagecoach Services from South of Reading
951 starting at Basingstoke – duplicate bus provided
954 starting at Bracknell – duplicate bus provided

For full details of all Supporter bus services visit Reading Buses and the Stagecoach timetable by clicking here

If you're coming on public transport, make sure you follow @reading_buses on Twitter to get more information about your route and football buses.

OFFICIALS
Simon Hooper will be officiating the weekend's fixture, the last time the referee appeared at Madejski Stadium was in a 1-0 defeat for the Royals, at the hands of Wigan on the 17th of February 2015. Hooper has officiated 33 games so far this season making 80 bookings and only two dismissals.

Alan Young and Robert Massey-Ellis will be assisting Hooper this weekend, with Dave Bushell fourth official.

BETTING ODDS
The odds are at evens for the Royals to get a result this weekend against visitors Fulham, with Sky Bet placing chances of the Cottagers taking all three points at 11/4. A draw at Madejski Stadium is put at 12/5.
The chances of Yann Kermorgant adding to his brace at Charlton on Saturday are placed at 15/8 with Deniss Rakels at 2/1 to score in consecutive games for the Royals.

Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/fulham-fc-madejski-stadium-2988816.aspx#Q0SQJPqK212WOuRr.99

WhiteJC

Jokanovic confident of survival

Fulham head coach Slavisa Jokanovic believes the club will avoid relegation from the Championship this season.

The Cottagers are languishing down in 20th place in the table but, despite only being two places above the drop zone, they have managed to open up a seven-point gap to Rotherham in 22nd.

Jokanovic only arrived at Craven Cottage on December 27, succeeding Kit Symons, and the former Chelsea midfielder has managed to clinch three victories from 10 league outings.

Next up for Fulham is an away trip to Reading on Saturday and, despite losing 2-0 to Middlesbrough last time out, the manager believes safety will be achieved.

"I try thinking step by step, I'm sure we're going to avoid relegation," he said. "I haven't made any calculations, I'm only thinking about what's in front of us and that's the Reading game."

Fulham will be without defender Richard Stearman, who is suspended for the clash with the Royals, but Fernando Amorebieta is available again having served a one-match ban.

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/championship/jokanovic-confident-of-survival-1802273.html?

WhiteJC

McDermott Aims To Build Run Against Fulham

Brian McDermott will be aiming to build a run of form as he continues to slowly turn Reading Football Club around. McDermott arrived in the middle of a woeful mid-season run and has since steadied the ship and guided Reading to the FA Cup quarter finals. The Royals are now on a run of five games undefeated and have three consecutive victories under their belt ahead of the visit of Fulham this weekend. Reading found themselves back in the top half of the table after the dramatic 4-3 victory over Charlton Athletic last weekend. A good run to finish the season and end up well in the top half would be the perfect boost ahead of next season and, hopefully, another attempt at promotion back to the top flight.

Our last two league wins have been against teams in the bottom three - Rotherham and Charlton. Fulham are also just two places outside the drop zone and Reading, with home advantage on their side, must surely fancy their chances of a third straight league win to make it four in all competitions. Reading as a team are starting to build in confidence, but individuals are starting to find their feet too. Yann Kermorgant was key in Reading's win at Charlton, scoring two goals against his former club and setting up another to guide Reading to victory. Deniss Rakels also hit his first Reading goal to secure the three points late on. Vydra has found his form in the FA Cup before injury. Vydra is fit again and may find himself on the bench against Charlton as McDermott finds himself with few injury worries.

One player that won't be back on the bench is Rowan Liburd who has joined League Two side Wycombe Wanderers on a months emergency loan. Liburd had finally broken into the first team with three appearances from the bench in November and December. He has found his chances limited with the news arrivals of Kermorgant, Rakels, and Simon Cox returning from his loan spell. Liburd will be expecting to get straight into the Wycombe side to build up some much needed Football League experience.

Last season Fulham and Reading shared a win each with Reading 3-0 winners at the Madejski Stadium. Earlier this season the Royals were defeated 2-4 away from home despite goals from former player Orlando Sa and Lucas Piazon. Reading have won four out of their last 11 meetings with Fulham. The games are traditionally high scoring matches and, after last weekend's 4-3 win, Reading fans will be expecting some goals.

- See more at: http://www.royals.org/news/525/McDermott_Aims_To_Build_Run_Against_Fulham?#sthash.wrfD9NMF.dpuf

WhiteJC

Dembélé: Hard Work Pays Off

Moussa Dembélé was a proud young man after being named Football League Player of the Year at the London Football Awards on Thursday evening.

The 19-year-old has scored 12 goals so far in his breakthrough season at Fulham, and he was delighted to see his efforts recognised at an event where the likes of Roy Hodgson, Sir Trevor Brooking, Glenn Hoddle and Sir Geoff Hurst were in attendance.

Speaking to fulhamfc.com the following day, Dembélé said: "It felt good to be there around a lot of legends. And to win the trophy, obviously for a young player like me, is a very good achievement. I worked hard to get there and hopefully there's more to come.

"I was on a table with John Terry. It was a massive thing for me – I used to watch him on TV in the Champions League and everything, and yesterday he was just next to me!

"I just work hard, think about the games and scoring goals, and work for the team. That's how you get your reward and why I got a trophy yesterday, which I'm happy about."

Arguably Dembélé's strongest competition for the award came in the form of Ross McCormack, and he admitted that a bit of banter was exchanged between the pair after he pipped his strike partner to the accolade.

"Ross is a fantastic player and I'm happy to get in front of him!" the Frenchman stated. "It's a good thing for me and I'm happy.

"He came to me this morning and said, 'congratulations – you can say thanks to me because I give you all your goals!' And I said, 'yeah thank you, but yesterday I won, and that's the most important thing!'"

All thoughts of personal glories will be put to one side for the time being, though, as attentions quickly turn to a trip to in-form Reading on Saturday.

"Reading have a good team and they're on a good run," Dembélé explained. "It's up to us to go there to play our football and be competitive, and hopefully we'll come away with the win."

Photos courtesy of Action Images.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/march/04/dembele-hard-work-pays-off?

WhiteJC

McDermott wary of Cottagers' threat

Royals' boss previews clash with Fulham

Reading manager, Brian McDermott, wants to build on last weekend's victory when the Royals host Fulham at Madejski Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Despite the Cottagers' lowly league position, the Royals boss is wary of the threat the opposition will pose when they travel to Berkshire for the 3:00pm kick-off, a threat that McDermott has first-hand experience of, from his time working at Leeds.

"There's plenty of threat in their team," commented McDermott.  "I know Ross McCormack very well – he was captain for me and did brilliantly. He got 28 goals for me when I was at Leeds and came up with a number of assists as well.

"He's so highly thought of in the game so it'll be nice to meet up with him.  Matt Smith was there as well; whether he'll play a part on Saturday I don't know, but he did very well for me as well.  They have got some very good players in their team."

The victory at Charlton was Reading's third win on the bounce, with the Royals unbeaten at Madejski Stadium so far in 2016, something that McDermott wants to continue tomorrow.

Despite winning against Charlton we made mistakes," admitted the manager. "We want to learn from those mistakes and build on the win this weekend against Fulham.

"They will want to come to Madejski Stadium and want to put on a good performance to get the right result.  We've got a really good week that we are looking forward to; the start of that week is the Fulham game at home."

Having spent a brief spell at Fulham as a player, McDermott knows all about the Cottagers, and feels the Reading faithful can be of great significance when it comes to the Royals getting a result on Saturday.

"I think Fulham is a great club I used to play there, but what we want to do is that we want to learn from the experiences of last weekend and try and put on a really good home performance.

"Our home record has been really good and the atmosphere at the stadium at West Brom was top drawer which really helped us get through to the next round".

Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/fulham-fc-madejski-stadium-brian-mcdermott-2989076.aspx#j4wgODfTyOckOOxB.99

WhiteJC

Reading Factfile

Fulham will be looking to complete another league double when they face Reading at the Madejski Stadium on Saturday (3pm).

The opposition

After a poor run of results, Reading parted company with manager Steve Clarke in early December, replacing him with former boss Brian McDermott a couple of weeks later.

McDermott – who made three substitute appearances whilst on loan at Fulham in 1983 – had an immediate impact with victory in his first game against Blackburn Rovers, and they've been solid practically ever since.

They've tasted defeat just four times since he took over, and go into Saturday's game with a five-game unbeaten run under their belts, including three wins from their last three. The Royals also have an FA Cup Quarter-Final against Crystal Palace to look forward to next week.

Team news

Saturday's encounter is expected to come too soon for Matej Vydra who is in the final stages of recovering from a hamstring injury, but McDermott should have a clean bill of health otherwise.

Tickets

Reading will sell on the day to Fulham fans. Tickets can be bought from the Away End Ticket Office, priced at £28 for adults, £18 for fans aged 65+, £13 for those aged 18-24, and £10 for those aged 17 or under.

Travel

Trains to Reading from Paddington can take as little as half an hour, or there is a slow train option from Waterloo. The Madejski Stadium is then three miles away from the station, so a shuttle bus or taxi ride is required. Fans who are driving are advised that the popular Worton Grange car park is now closed. Follow this link for details of alternatives.

Weather

There is a 50/50 chance of rain in Reading come 3pm on Saturday, with temperatures around the six-degree mark.

Pre-match

The Three Guineas at Reading Station is always a popular haunt for away fans, while other options include Walkabout and Oakford Social Club.

Coral match odds

Reading: 19/20

Draw: 5/2

Fulham: 3/1

Last time we met

The Whites produced one of their best spells of the season to recover from going two-goals down to beat Reading 4-2 in October. Former Fulham man Orlando Sa scored his first goal at Craven Cottage early in the second half to add to Lucas Piazon's opener, but a fine turn and volley from Ross McCormack soon halved the deficit. Moussa Dembélé then forced home the equaliser, before Alexander Kačaniklić made it three goals in seven minutes when he raced clear and finished coolly. Dembélé made sure of the points in the 74th minute after being sent in on goal by a classy McCormack back heel.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/march/04/reading-factfile?

WhiteJC

Reading FC v Fulham FC: Ola John out to shoot down his former favourites

Royals' winger grew up watching his brother play at Craven Cottage - but there will be no room for sentiment on Saturday

Ola John spent years watching his brother play for Fulham.

As a teenager he grew up supporting them - but now Ola John is hoping to put Fulham to the sword at Madejski Stadium on Saturday.

The Dutch winger, who was at his sparkling best at Charlton last week, was a Craven Cottage regular during his younger years as he watched his brother Collins in action.

In all Collins spent five years in west London between 2004-09, scoring 23 goals and enjoying some eye-catching moments alongside the likes of Steed Malbranque, Clint Dempsey and Brian McBride.

And his brother was in the stands to witness almost all of them, captivated by the spectacle that was the Premier League

"I'd seen the Premier League on TV of course," said Ola. "But watching my brother play for Fulham was the first time I'd seen it live.

"I went there for five years and must have seen 100 games.

"I remember watching my brother play against Manchester United 2005, he was up against players like Ronaldo and Rio Ferdinand. He scored in that game as well - it was great for me to see.

"From then on it was my dream to play in the Premier League."

The 23-year-old added: "Before my brother went to Fulham I was an Arsenal fan, then of course when he went there I was a Fulham fan as well.

Collins John celebrates scoring for Fulham.

"It's a great club, a family club."

Saturday's game will not be the first time that John has come up against Fulham since arriving on loan from Benfica in the summer.

He started October's clash at Craven Cottage on the bench and watched on stunned as Royals saw a two-goal lead slip away in the second half.

He was introduced with 20 minutes remaining, but could did little to stop the visitors slipping to a painful 4-2 defeat.

"It was not a good experience," he said. "We were 2-0 up and they scored three goals in six minutes.

"We have to make up for that. I hope we play a good game on Saturday."

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-v-fulham-fc-10991887?

WhiteJC

5 things we've learnt from Fulham's season so far

Fulham have struggled this season despite their talented squad and promotion winning manager, as they sit in 20th position and are just seven points clear of the relegation zone.

Chairman Shahid Khan invested heavily in the squad last year, adding Ross McCormack in a big money move from Leeds, and adding Tom Cairney and Richard Stearman for this season.

But it has not worked out for Fulham with their defence proving their undoing as they have scored plenty of goals this season, with Dembele and McCormack scoring a combined 30 goals with Tom Cairney proving useful from the midfield.

Jokanovic was installed as manager when Kit Symons was sacked earlier in the season but they have actually fell down the table since Jokanovic arrived, despite him winning promotion from this league with Watford last season.

The defence has been poor with young inexperienced players, and also Fulham lack balance in the midfield with Parker not playing to his usual standard.

Fulham have to reinvest in the summer and fix their defence as Dembele up front has been a revelation for them, but for all the goals they score they concede.

In a similar position to Wolves last year, they need to keep there strikers and buy defenders and some holding midfielders, but most importantly they need to keep Dembele and McCormack from the jaws of a host of interested teams.

Here are FIVE things we've learnt about Fulham so far this season........

Potent pairing

Whilst Fulham have had a poor season, they have unearthed an excellent partnership with Dembele and McCormack and will do well to hang on to it next season.

Moussa Dembele was linked with a move to Tottenham in the summer but the move fell through at the last stage.

McCormack has been subject of transfer speculation since his arrival at Fulham with Middlesbrough his main pursuers even agreeing a fee at one stage, but he is still a Fulham player.

They have scored 31 goals between them making them the best partnership in the division, both possessing pace and clinical finishing abilities.

Awful defending

They have scored the second highest number of goals in the league this season with 51 goals and only Burnley have more.

But they have one of the poorest defences in the league, with Burn and Madl a poor defensive pairing.

Garbutt and Fredericks are quite young so their inexperience means they can get caught out of position too much.

Stearman was purchased in the summer but his poor discipline and inconsistency has failed to improve the Fulham defence.

A mistake by the chairman?

The sacking of Kit Symons had strange timing when it happened earlier in the season, and fans were confused as Fulham sat in mid-table and looked placed for a play-off push.

Their performances were improving and he was utilising the star strikers up front to perfection.

He was replaced by Jokanovic who managed Watford to promotion last year but Fulham have plunged down the table under his leadership, and Fulham's season look over.

The manager gave assurances that Fulham will not go down but they are overly reliant on Dembele and Mccormack.

Horror show at the Cottage

Fulham's home form has been dreadful this season and amongst the worst in the Championship.

They have conceded 26 goals and picked up 20 points from a possible 51.

Their defence has been shaky all season but the lack of balance in the midfield has further exposed the frailties at home.

They have been given beatings at home by Birmingham and Middlesbrough – the tactics have been well off as the squad is more than capable.

Bad ownership

Ever since Shahid Khan took over Fulham have fell apart, and despite the odd heavy investment in the first team they continue to get worst year after year.

They may be heading into financial trouble soon enough, as they do not look in a position to challenge for promotion, but they are spending a lot of money and failing.

They may soon be heading for an embargo and the future may be dark, and Fulham may be forced into selling their star assets like McCormack and Dembele.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/5-things-weve-learnt-from-fulhams-season-so-far/?

WhiteJC

Reading FC v Fulham: Match Preview

Reading host Fulham aiming to build on three consecutive wins in league and cup competitions; Phil Owtram previews the match-up.

Reading FC

Form (all comps): WWWDD

Reading striker Matej Vydra is due back in training following a hamstring injury but is not expected to feature. Aaron Tshibola remains out with a long-term injury. Otherwise, manager Brian McDermott has a fully fit squad available.

Reading are unbeaten in five at home in the league but have only won two of those - each against sides in the bottom six positions. That will be music to the ears of Reading fans in that case because that is exactly where Fulham are located, in 20th position. The last time Reading scored more than a single goal at home in the league was nine games ago in November when they beat Bolton 2-1 at the Madejski Stadium. Reading have only scored more than two goals at home on one occasion in their last 32 outings, the 5-1 demolition of Ipswich in September. That seems to rule out another goal fest similar to the one witnessed when these two teams met at The Cottage back in October.

Fulham FC

Form (all comps): WWDDL

Fulham defender Richard Stearman is suspended after receiving a red card late in the home defeat by Middlesbrough. Defender Ryan Fredericks (back) is a doubt, while full-back Fernando Amorebieta is available again having served a one-match ban.

Fulham have won just three times on the road in the league this season with their last victory coming last month when they defeat QPR 3-1 at Loftus Road. Their two other victories came against sides that currently reside in the bottom six (Bristol City and Rotherham). Fulham last won at the Madejski Stadium when both sides were in the Premier League back in 2008 when goals from Brian McBride and Erik Nevland sealed the win for The Cottagers. In his six matches in charge manager Slavisa Jokanovic has mustered one win, two draws and three defeats as he aims to keep Fulham away from the relegation zone.

Reading (v Charlton): Ali Al Habsi, P. McShane, C. Gunter, M. Hector, J. Cooper, S. Quinn (D. Rakels 87), H. Robson-Kanu, O. John (G. McCleary 70), O. Norwood (D. Williams 65), J. Obita, Y. Kermorgant.

Fulham (v Middlesbrough): A. Lonergan, M. Madl, C. Baird (Z. Labyad 57), R. Stearman, L. Garbutt, D. Burn, S. Parker, T. Cairney, R. Tunnicliffe (J. Ohara 68), R. Fredericks (M. Dembele 22), R. McCormack.

What The Opposition Think

"The season has been disappointing. There was the hope at the beginning of the year that this squad could at least contend for a playoff spot. Unfortunately that wasn't to be. And to make matters worse, the coaching search took so long that the team actually feel back way too close to the relegation spots for comfort."

You can read Cottagers Confidential's full thoughts on tomorrow's game in View From The Town End.

Last Five Meetings

24 Oct 2015: Fulham 4-2 Reading (League Championship)

17 Jan 2015: Fulham 2-1 Reading (League Championship)

13 Sep 2014: Reading 3-0 Fulham (League Championship)

04 May 2013: Fulham 2-4 Reading (Premier League)

27 Oct 2012: Reading 3-3 Fulham (Premier League)

Head To Head

Reading v Fulham: W:16 D:13 L:19

Prediction

Reading FC 1-1 Fulham FC

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/2016/3/4/11161934/fulham-match-preview-reading-royals-cottagers

WhiteJC

Celtic kid Patrick Roberts: Getting booed at the top of the table is weird.. but we deserve it

THE loanee admits that getting booed while being top of the table is quite unusual but feels the players must use it as motivation.

PATRICK ROBERTS expected the boos when Fulham flopped but refuses to condemn Celtic fans who have expressed discontent when they are on the brink of a double.

The Manchester City loan kid, mature beyond his 19 years, insists football fans are right to express their ire because without them the professional game would be 90 minutes of boredom.

Roberts, a product of the Craven Cottage academy, was one of few to escape censure from the Parkhead crowd after their side's poor performance in the goalless draw with Dundee in midweek.

Many fans saw it as a sign of a continued malaise under Ronny Deila, with Aberdeen moving on to the shoulder of the Hoops at the top of the Premiership and Celtic just one more slip from handing the title destiny to the Dons.

The focus switches to the 
Scottish Cup tomorrow and Roberts admits he's adapting to new experiences all round as Celtic prepare to face Morton for a place in the semi-final.

The winger was part of a Fulham squad relegated from the Premier League two years ago under Felix Magath after winning just nine of their 38 matches.

He emerged stronger for the experience and has vowed to triumph again amid the jeers he insists will only make him and his team-mates stronger.

He said: "I was in a relegation team at Fulham. We lost nearly every game and were booed constantly by our fans – and they are not known for being rough.

"I was only at the club for a year-and-a-half but I 
experienced a lot there and that's helped me in my career.

"I was a fan myself and you want to see the team play well so, when we got a draw on Wednesday when we should be winning, the crowd will react. It's a bit different being booed when you're top of the league but we're expected to win constantly. We must use that to motivate us for the next game.

Patrick Roberts in action for Fulham

"Every game could be your last so you must always give 100 per cent. It's not great when they boo but it's part of football. Fans get angry so we have to play better and prove them wrong.

"At Fulham it was happening in every match and that was horrible to be involved in, never mind to watch.

"However, pressure's good for me. The more pressure the better I play. The important thing is that you play for the fans. Without them it would just be a boring game of football. They bring more entertainment to the game than we do because of the excitement they generate.

"That is why, when they pay to watch you every week, you've got to give something back, let them see some good football."

Roberts has played for Ronny Deila less than six weeks but already empathises with the boss as he tries to galvanise his squad for five-in-a-row, with the 
Scottish Cup also a priority.

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-kid-patrick-roberts-getting-7497426#9Do0YUdm86Ewfmv6.99

Twig

Quote from: WhiteJC on March 05, 2016, 07:17:33 AM

5 things we've learnt from Fulham's season so far

Fulham have struggled this season despite their talented squad and promotion winning manager, as they sit in 20th position and are just seven points clear of the relegation zone.

Chairman Shahid Khan invested heavily in the squad last year, adding Ross McCormack in a big money move from Leeds, and adding Tom Cairney and Richard Stearman for this season.

But it has not worked out for Fulham with their defence proving their undoing as they have scored plenty of goals this season, with Dembele and McCormack scoring a combined 30 goals with Tom Cairney proving useful from the midfield.

Jokanovic was installed as manager when Kit Symons was sacked earlier in the season but they have actually fell down the table since Jokanovic arrived, despite him winning promotion from this league with Watford last season.

The defence has been poor with young inexperienced players, and also Fulham lack balance in the midfield with Parker not playing to his usual standard.

Fulham have to reinvest in the summer and fix their defence as Dembele up front has been a revelation for them, but for all the goals they score they concede.

In a similar position to Wolves last year, they need to keep there strikers and buy defenders and some holding midfielders, but most importantly they need to keep Dembele and McCormack from the jaws of a host of interested teams.

Here are FIVE things we've learnt about Fulham so far this season........

Potent pairing

Whilst Fulham have had a poor season, they have unearthed an excellent partnership with Dembele and McCormack and will do well to hang on to it next season.

Moussa Dembele was linked with a move to Tottenham in the summer but the move fell through at the last stage.

McCormack has been subject of transfer speculation since his arrival at Fulham with Middlesbrough his main pursuers even agreeing a fee at one stage, but he is still a Fulham player.

They have scored 31 goals between them making them the best partnership in the division, both possessing pace and clinical finishing abilities.

Awful defending

They have scored the second highest number of goals in the league this season with 51 goals and only Burnley have more.

But they have one of the poorest defences in the league, with Burn and Madl a poor defensive pairing.

Garbutt and Fredericks are quite young so their inexperience means they can get caught out of position too much.

Stearman was purchased in the summer but his poor discipline and inconsistency has failed to improve the Fulham defence.

A mistake by the chairman?

The sacking of Kit Symons had strange timing when it happened earlier in the season, and fans were confused as Fulham sat in mid-table and looked placed for a play-off push.

Their performances were improving and he was utilising the star strikers up front to perfection.

He was replaced by Jokanovic who managed Watford to promotion last year but Fulham have plunged down the table under his leadership, and Fulham's season look over.

The manager gave assurances that Fulham will not go down but they are overly reliant on Dembele and Mccormack.

Horror show at the Cottage

Fulham's home form has been dreadful this season and amongst the worst in the Championship.

They have conceded 26 goals and picked up 20 points from a possible 51.

Their defence has been shaky all season but the lack of balance in the midfield has further exposed the frailties at home.

They have been given beatings at home by Birmingham and Middlesbrough – the tactics have been well off as the squad is more than capable.

Bad ownership

Ever since Shahid Khan took over Fulham have fell apart, and despite the odd heavy investment in the first team they continue to get worst year after year.

They may be heading into financial trouble soon enough, as they do not look in a position to challenge for promotion, but they are spending a lot of money and failing.

They may soon be heading for an embargo and the future may be dark, and Fulham may be forced into selling their star assets like McCormack and Dembele.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/5-things-weve-learnt-from-fulhams-season-so-far/?

Not sure I agree with some of these assertions.  Parker has come back from injury and is playing as well as we have ever seen him in a Fulham shirt (albeit 90 mins per week only).
Symons was utilsing the star strikers up front to perfection. Really?
Burn and Madl a poor defensive pairing? A relatively new pairing and one that can hardly be blamed for our recent history of poor defending.  Poor? Well Madl has been with us all of 5 weeks and during that time we have had mixed results but nothing to suggest that this defensive partnership is not an improvement on some others tried in the past couple of years.
You say that we are over reliant on Dembele and McCormack (who Kit apparently utilised to perfection) but then state that we were handed beatings by Birmingham and Middlesborough despite the squad being more than capable.  Make your mind up.
Lastly, I don't see why we should face a transfer embargo in the summer.  We had our embargo this winter and i have not heard any suggestion that it will also apply this summer?

bobby01

Quote from: WhiteJC on March 05, 2016, 06:50:35 AM

Fulham boss slams side for 'surrender' against Middlesbrough and warns repeat at Reading is not an option

Joka warns his players ahead of trip to the Madejski Stadium there had better be a Royal performance - or else

Unhappy: Slavisa Jokanovic

Slavisa Jokanovic expects drastic changes at Reading tomorrow after Fulham's surrender last weekend.

The Whites boss had to suffer 70 minutes of second-gear football once Middlesbrough went 2-0 ahead and read the riot act as a result of the capitulation.

He said: "I expect the players learned a lesson; me too.

"Physically we should be stronger. They (Boro) played with more passion.

"We found difficulties, and after 20 minutes we surrendered. We are dead, and it's not acceptable.

"We had 70 minutes more and we can't after half an hour say everything is done and we're going to wait until next week and the next game.

"We were without energy and belief – and this is not acceptable.

"At the end if a side plays better, then you shake hands and look towards the next game. This happens at 5pm - not after half an hour."

One back: Moussa Dembele scores the first against Reading earlier in the season

That went deep with the Serb who won promotion with Watford last term, but despite only seven points separating him from the relegation zone, he insists Fulham won't be visiting the likes of Scunthorpe next season

"The team is not going to be relegated," he added. "I'm optimistic and I didn't come here to be a loser.

"We have had three depressing years at Fulham and we have to find something different, and that is what we're aiming for."

Reading also pose big problems, says Jokanovic, despite a terrific 4-2 win over the Royals at home in October when they came back from 2-0 down.

"They played better football in the last month. They're very fast and competitive, and they made a great result last week," he added.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-slams-side-surrender-10989895?
f

It looks like joka is going to sing with an orchestra behind him
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

WhiteJC

3 things to look out for in the Reading v Fulham match

Reading welcome West London side Fulham to the Madejski Stadium this afternoon as they look to continue their improved run of form.

The Royals are unbeaten in their last four games in the league, and have really turned a corner recently after their dismal start to 2016.

The Berkshire side produced an entertaining display in their previous 4-3 victory over Charlton Athletic, with their three new boys Yann Kermorgant, Ola John, and Denis Rakels all getting on the scoresheet.

Fulham, however, have been far from appetising after only winning once in their last four games. The Cottagers poor performances have seen them sink down the table.

Manager Slavisa Jokanovic will be anxious to boost Fulham's confidence as they lie only seven points clear of the drop zone.

Games are coming thick and fast and Fulham probably need the points more than Reading to keep their Championship status alive.

However, Royals boss Brian McDermott will be looking for a strong finish to the season and will be eager for his players to continue their momentum.

FootballLeagueWorld writer Ashley Williams identifies THREE things to look out for in this afternoon's game...

1) Fulham's poor away record
Fulham have won just three times on the road in the league this season, with their last victory coming last month when they defeated QPR 3-1 at Loftus Road.

Their two other victories came against Championship strugglers Bristol City and Rotherham United.

Jokanovic needs to see his side put a performance together as they have some tough games this month against the likes of Burnley, Birmingham City, and a relegation showdown with Bristol City.

2) Reading's signings looking promising
Manager McDermott will be relieved that his new signings are beginning to perform for him.

Rakels, Kermorgant and John put in a fine display against Charlton last weekend and helped their side by producing the goals for the victory.

The club are now seeing the best of John over the past few weeks after a slow start to his Reading career, but the Dutchman is clearly showing why he was signed for the club.

The same goes for Kermorgant.

After taking five games to bag a goal for the Royals, the Frenchman was the best player on the pitch last weekend after scoring a brace in the victory over Charlton.

Finally, the Latvian striker Rakels is showing that he can compete in the squad after beginning to find some form.

McDermott is likely to start all three players at the weekend and he will be hoping they continue their fine performances.

3) Are Fulham in trouble if they slip up?
The West London club really need to get their act together, as they are struggling at the moment.

The Cottagers are just two places above the drop zone and have only recorded three wins in their last 20 matches.

This is a real cause of concern for Jokanovic, who earlier this week issued that he is confident that the club will remain a Championship side next season despite their on-field troubles.

The Serbian boss is certainly not replicating his winning mentality with Watford last season, and enduring a miserable start to his Fulham career.

A loss to Reading would really raise the anxiety levels around the club which would put them in trouble.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-things-to-look-out-for-in-the-reading-v-fulham-match/?