https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Winter Olympics coming up

Started by finnster01, February 03, 2010, 12:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Steve_orino

There might be a couple of events that get my Olympic-weenie jumping but it just doesn't compare with the Summer Olympics.

I suppose it's because I come from a warmer climate and the Winterval sports are a bit foreign to me but they just don't have the oomph that the Summer provides.

Winterval competitions that pique the interest:
Speed Skating
Bobsled
Ski Jump
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

HatterDon

I think the Olympics would be great if only:

1. They would stop televising them live.
2. They would ban advertising from equipment and apparel used by "athletes."
3. They would go back to amateurs only.
4. They would always hold the summer games in Athens and the winter games in the same Scandihoovian locale. IT'S A GREAT WAY TO STOP WASTING TAX MONEY IN OTHER NATIONS ALL OVER THE WORLD.
5. They required members on national olympic committees to have at least half a brain apiece.

My biggest bitch with the Winter Olympics is that they're pretty much made for television. In the skiing and skating events, the Olympics are nowhere near the most important stop on the professional tour. Most of the athletes are using the Olympics as tuning up for the world championships.

The stupidist thing ever in the winter olympics? Testing snowboarders for THC. Jesus, ALL of those guys are potheads. You think normal people do that?  ::)

Last note: I was so incensed about the last summer olympics being held in Slave Labor Poison Exporting Can Write on the Air But Not Breathe it China, that I didn't watch a single event -- not live, not replayed on television, nor did a read a word about it in the press. And I survived fine.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Equalizer

I can't be arsed with events like figure skating or indeed, any type of skating and biathlon. However, as a keen skier I just love watching the downhill and super-g. After watching the Hahnenkamm weekend a couple of weeks back, I reckon that Didier Cuche is going to clean up in the men's competitions.

The Luge is always fun too. A couple of years ago some massive lady did it and bounced off every single corner on the way down. Quite hilarious.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Logicalman

Uh-huh, SWMBO is gearing up for it.

Just as long as it does not coincide with either the Prem games (especially Fulham) or the 6 Nations, then it will be watched, I guess.

YankeeJim

Curling!

I can just see it being played on some lake in northern Ontario. Sort of like shuffle board at the local pub. Thrown the rock and take a swig. Gotta like it.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

finnster01

I actually got into trouble over curling once. Forget which Olympics it was, but I was on business in Toronto and the Canadian curling team was playing the Scots (I think). It was lunch time local time and I was having a burger at the bar. It got pretty packed all of a sudden and since the Scots/Brits were winning I was caught cheering...Lo and behold I was told to leave immediately (didn't have to pay, so I wish I had ate more of the burger) and got shoved out the fire exit.

Canadians are supposed to be harmless, but don't mess with their curling 
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

AmericanJames

I am excited for the hockey tournament. Its the closest thing to the world cup for hockey fans.
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

timmyg

Quote from: AmericanJames on February 04, 2010, 03:26:59 AM
I am excited for the hockey tournament. Its the closest thing to the world cup for hockey fans.

Agreed.

Most other winter games are, overall, meaningless. Hockey however has no similar, #1 international competition, except for that thing in the spring that coincides with the NHL playoffs.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

RidgeRider

I, like AmJames and EQ, really enjoy the downhill skiing and hockey...that's about it.

Actually, I can get into the speed skating if a countrymen is involved and bobsleding and luge can be interesting as well.

clintclintdeuce

I get up for it, and I want to see Americans win everything. I am a very proud person, and this is important as far as Im concerned.

Vancouver is goign to be a great locale for this setup.

I am looking forward to watching it all, I love the ski jumping, all the skiing type events really, the hockey is going to be fantastic, ill even watch curling.
The Dude abides.

littlepowell

Looking forward to watching Lindsey Vonn. I hear she can beat most of the men.

AmericanJames

very pretty, but couldn't you have found a better picture?

YankeeJim

I'll watch when they have something interesting...mud 'rasslin would work for me.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on February 04, 2010, 02:26:45 AM
I actually got into trouble over curling once. Forget which Olympics it was, but I was on business in Toronto and the Canadian curling team was playing the Scots (I think). It was lunch time local time and I was having a burger at the bar. It got pretty packed all of a sudden and since the Scots/Brits were winning I was caught cheering...Lo and behold I was told to leave immediately (didn't have to pay, so I wish I had ate more of the burger) and got shoved out the fire exit.

Canadians are supposed to be harmless, but don't mess with their curling 

Jesus Christ, Finny. The same thing happened to me at the same time in the same olympics DURING THE SAME MATCH. I was in an airport bar somewhere between flights and the game was on TV. I made some crack about it being a better spectacle if they used vacuum cleaners instead of brooms and I thought I'd bought it for sure. Thankfully, they were all young and fit, and I was well past 50. I've learned to look for those maple-leaf thingies on backpacks again.

Man, I'd completely forgotten about that.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

AmericanJames

Did anybody else see this? very sad, rest in peace mate

Video removed by you tube

Steve_orino

Hey AmJames, the video is kaput...obviously the guy passes, RIP, but do you know any details?  Was that this year?
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

AmericanJames

this was today. the guy was going 88 mph on the luge and lost control flew out of the stadium and hit a steel stanchion.