https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

is it better we go down ?

Started by clarkey, March 19, 2016, 06:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfie

Quote from: Reznor on March 20, 2016, 10:46:00 AM
Quote from: EJL on March 19, 2016, 06:12:07 PM
From a sentimental standpoint? Sure. Loyal core of fans at home games, I guess. From a financial standpoint and having a realistic chance of ever getting back in the top flight? Absolutely not. What would happen after similar underachievement in League 1? Would we then start asking if it would be better to rebuild in League 2? It helps to be as attractive a club as possible and cling onto any semblance of past achievement when rebuilding, and having access to as much money and resources in order to do that. Can't see how getting relegated again would help -- it's an entirely emotional argument.

Oh, and regarding "maybe the owner will go": then we really would be screwed. He's been behind some shocking decisions but none stemming from ill intent.

As Charles Dickens often wrote, there is nothing more dangerous than ignorance. 'Ill intent' is no different to ignorance and I just do not accept this argument that somehow this whole mess is not directly down to Khan. Am I supposed to be scared of losing an owner that under his leadership is taking us down more quickly than the titanic? There are probably worse possible owners out there but obviously the opposite is true as well. This scare mongering about Khan leaving is ridiculous. The club survived before he came and it will survive long after he and his corporate chameleon have gone.
maybe i am looking at football in a different way, because i was under the impression it was the players who are taking us down, It's not Khan that gives away last minute goals, or misplaced passes, or getting sent off.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Twig

Completely bonkers question.  No, no and thrice no!

clarkey

Twig completely bonkers answer actually...you simply don't understand the question. It is a stimulus to try and get an answer to what would make FFC better managed.

Have a think...what does it take to break the cycle of bad decisions and poor club management.

Forget the results just look at the way they have gone about everything from the day Khan walked in. From Rene getting the boot,  Magath, letting quality players go, buying shockers,  loaning out players we could do with, falling foul of FP, sacking Kit at the wrong time, conducting an unedifying search,  and on and on. I think we all want the club to win matches and not be relegated obviously, but sometimes a sharp shock is better and then there would have to be a rethink...or do people think Khan would not get rid of Rigg and co even if we went down ?

Is this current structure fit for purpose ?

J

Quote from: clarkey on March 20, 2016, 04:42:45 PM
Twig completely bonkers answer actually...you simply don't understand the question. It is a stimulus to try and get an answer to what would make FFC better managed.

Have a think...what does it take to break the cycle of bad decisions and poor club management.

Forget the results just look at the way they have gone about everything from the day Khan walked in. From Rene getting the boot,  Magath, letting quality players go, buying shockers,  loaning out players we could do with, falling foul of FP, sacking Kit at the wrong time, conducting an unedifying search,  and on and on. I think we all want the club to win matches and not be relegated obviously, but sometimes a sharp shock is better and then there would have to be a rethink...or do people think Khan would not get rid of Rigg and co even if we went down ?

Say we were to go down it definitely doesn't guarantee any changes / improvements to the management structure

Nor will we be guaranteed to come straight back up, so even if changes did happen (for better or for worse) so we could simply be stuck in Div 1 under a different structure

If we do go down then this *might* be the silver lining, but I don't see how in any way how going down can be considered better as there is so much risk involved without any guarantees

Jem

Quote from: JHaynes Paperboy on March 20, 2016, 11:55:33 AM
Quote from: win-dup on March 20, 2016, 11:28:36 AM
NO! NO! NO! Read my post of a couple of days ago ''For those of you who weren't around last time we went into freefall'' - That's what it's like to go down to the third division.
I agree Win-dup, if you never went through it you can't find the words to explain to other people what it was like, one minute we're playing at Old Trafford the next minute we're at Kings Meadow, it is totally soul destroying but you still go! I personally have accepted that we will be relegated, I said that if we didn't beat Bristol at home we're gone, I have seen nothing to suggest any different.
I would hate to see what would happen to this club if the people who are currently in charge decided to try and F**k up this club on purpose, because they have already done a great job without even trying!
I agree about the pain that you and others like us went through when we dropped through the divisions. Makes you wonder how many supporters would stick with Fulham if it happened again. Personally I still think we will stay up but then I have always been an optomist!
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Reznor

Quote from: alfie on March 20, 2016, 02:44:59 PM
Quote from: Reznor on March 20, 2016, 10:46:00 AM
Quote from: EJL on March 19, 2016, 06:12:07 PM
From a sentimental standpoint? Sure. Loyal core of fans at home games, I guess. From a financial standpoint and having a realistic chance of ever getting back in the top flight? Absolutely not. What would happen after similar underachievement in League 1? Would we then start asking if it would be better to rebuild in League 2? It helps to be as attractive a club as possible and cling onto any semblance of past achievement when rebuilding, and having access to as much money and resources in order to do that. Can't see how getting relegated again would help -- it's an entirely emotional argument.

Oh, and regarding "maybe the owner will go": then we really would be screwed. He's been behind some shocking decisions but none stemming from ill intent.

As Charles Dickens often wrote, there is nothing more dangerous than ignorance. 'Ill intent' is no different to ignorance and I just do not accept this argument that somehow this whole mess is not directly down to Khan. Am I supposed to be scared of losing an owner that under his leadership is taking us down more quickly than the titanic? There are probably worse possible owners out there but obviously the opposite is true as well. This scare mongering about Khan leaving is ridiculous. The club survived before he came and it will survive long after he and his corporate chameleon have gone.
maybe i am looking at football in a different way, because i was under the impression it was the players who are taking us down, It's not Khan that gives away last minute goals, or misplaced passes, or getting sent off.

Oh, sorry. I forgot that owners are all great people who have little or no affect on what happens further down the ladder. Silly me.

davew

Quote from: St Eve on March 20, 2016, 02:28:16 PM
Being relegated from the Premiership was a master stroke. We rebuilt and are so much stronger
Really I must have missed something (Lol) .....you are totally correct!! Sarcasm is a powerful asset!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

davew

Quote from: clarkey on March 20, 2016, 04:42:45 PM

Good post m8, that's why I said earlier I have mixed views, but staying up would be the better option!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Aaron

I don't really know the exact ins-and-outs of how this all fits together so maybe I have totally missed the point here..

If we do get relegated (again) at what point would it make sense for Khan to pull the plug and dissolve the club?  Could he even do that?  Would it make financial sense?

I'd assume it depends on how much value he places on salvaging whatever he can from his initial investment.  Considering he's worth more now than when he bought the club and has a yacht worth more than the Cottage is in terms of real estate I'd think it would be unlikely.. Not to mention that I'm sure he doesn't want to go down as the Gordon Gekko who destroyed London's oldest professional club when he seems to be trying so hard (allegedly) to make a name for himself in London.

I'd imagine in League 1 it'd be very hard for Khan to give a crap about the club anymore, he has much bigger fish to fry.  I'd expect him to contribute enough to keep us ticking over (even if that means as a mid-table League 1 club but don't know what would motivate him to try any harder, we already know FFP will nail us for any big spending and his track record doesn't suggest he's capable of delivering any of that which he promised he would... why waste the time when a single home game for the Jaguars brings in more revenue than we would in an whole season in League 1?