more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (13/04/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 13, 2016, 08:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham boss defends decision to ban juniors from first team lunch

Whites chief makes a string of small but important changes to training ground regime that include who goes where and when at knife-and-fork time

You and me: The great Bobby Robson at Fulham takes on the kids

Fulham players young and old used to pile into the Whites training ground canteen at the same time – not any more.

One of the small but significant changes exacted by Slavisa Jokanovic is to insist on separate sittings for lunch.

An insider likened the previous atmosphere inside the Motspur Park training eatery to a school dining hall.

But Jokanovic made it plain small changes like this add to up a far more professional set-up in the long run.

He said: "I believe things like this. It's very important to me people understand all my intentions, and the reasons for the change. Change for change sake is silly. We try to improve all the small details.

"Lots of people in the club corroborate these types of decisions.

"All my steps are steps with sense behind them, I believe."

The former Watford boss has stepped up the intensity of training as well, with many in White praising the difference that went with a 2-1 win over Cardiff, despite a set of indifferent results before that.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-defends-decision-ban-11172337?

WhiteJC

LVC: Great To Be Back

Fulham's win at Queens Park Rangers in February was one of the highlights of the season, but it was tainted by an early injury to Lasse Vigen Christensen.

The energetic midfielder lasted just six minutes at Loftus Road after hurting his hamstring, but he made a welcome return to First Team action in the Cardiff City victory at the weekend.

"It feels great to be back," he told fulhamfc.com. "Every time you get a setback like that you're waiting for the moment when you can return. This time it's taken quite a while, but I think I waited the right length of time.

"I'm hopefully getting to a new place now physically where I can stay injury free, because that's the thing I need to do, to get back to consistently playing and consistently playing well.

"I need a little bit more time without injuries and those stop-start periods, which it's been for nearly 18 months now.

"So, for me, it was really positive to come back in and feel like I can make a difference and help the team on my first game back. I'm just crossing my fingers that it will keep going like this."

'Help the team' is something of an understatement from the humble 21-year-old, as the desire we've come to expect from him brought about Fulham's 93rd-minute winner.

After Rohan Ince had kept a corner in play, he fed Christensen who burst beyond Cardiff's Kenneth Zohore before cutting the ball back to Emerson Hyndman, who did the rest.

"It came out from a corner and Rohan collected it," he recalled. "I had someone on me and I kind of just committed him a bit with the touch, and he did well not to give away a penalty, but it nearly went out so I thought I'll get it back into play.

"Next thing I knew I was in the boards and when I looked up I saw it was in the goal. It all happened very quickly but it was a great feeling for all the lads."

That goal marked a fantastic turnaround by the Whites, as a slow first half had seen them trail at the break, but come the full-time whistle they occupied 17th spot, some 10 points clear of the relegation zone.

"It feels great to get a late winner like that," Christensen admitted. "It's a game that could have really gone either way, so it's really nice that for once it was us who got that chance and put it away.

"I thought Cardiff pinned us in quite well in the first half. We didn't really get out and didn't really start playing and have the good spells that we normally have.

"Second half it opened up a little bit and we started passing a bit more and were more positive.

"Especially with Ryan [Fredericks] on, it gave us a different outlet in behind and we made good use of that to get up the pitch and win some corners and pin them in a little bit.

"It was really good, a few results went our way as well, and it was just a really, really good time for Emerson to pop up and get his first goal on his birthday."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/april/12/lasse-vigen-christensen-great-to-be-back?

WhiteJC

BRISTOL VICTORY REF BACK FOR BRIGHTON

Match News

Brighton vrs Fulham

Championship Match Day 42 1516 at Amex Stadium

Friday 15th April 2016    KO: 19:45

Referee: Andy Woolmer (Northamptonshire)

Referee Andy Woolmer, age 49 years, keeps fit by walking his route around Northampton as a postman. He has been a National List referee since 2004 which was some twenty years after he first started refereeing at aged just sixteen.

He graduated through the United Counties League, Southern League and Conference route to the Football League National panel. Prior to achieving this he was also an Assistant for a total of ten seasons, which included four on the Select Group.

The last time Ref Woolmer bossed a Fulham game was on the 31st October 2015 in the 4-1 win at Bristol City and Stearman was yellow carded.

Brighton last had the pleasure of being bossed by Ref Woolmer in March 2015 when they drew 0-0 away at Millwall.

Last season he refed 35 games and dished out 107 yellows and 1 reds, an under average rate of just about 3.1 yellows per game so not too bad. He is one of only five refs out of 71 who issued 1 or less red cards last season

This season so far he has reffed 34 games, dished out 104 yellows, an under average rate of just about 3.1 yellows, and two reds so similar to last season

http://www.fulhamweb.co.uk/news/bristol-victory-ref-back-for-brighton.aspx?

WhiteJC

Christensen raring to go after Fulham return
by DAN on APRIL 12, 2016

Lasse Vigen Christensen was delighted to make his return to first team action for Fulham on Saturday – and hopes to build on the lively substitute appearance that helped Slavisa Jokanovic's side secure a third successive win over Cardiff City.

The Danish under-21 international has been missing since February after limping off during the early stages of Fulham's memorable victory at Queens Park Rangers with a hamstring strain and Christensen was conscious of not rushing back too quickly. He was introduced as a second half replacement for Ryan Tunnicliffe and helped create the winning goal for birthday Emerson Hyndman in stoppage time.

It feels great to be back. Every time you get a setback like that you're waiting for the moment when you can return. This time it's taken quite a while, but I think I waited the right length of time.

I'm hopefully getting to a new place now physically where I can stay injury free, because that's the thing I need to do, to get back to consistently playing and consistently playing well. I need a little bit more time without injuries and those stop-start periods, which it's been for nearly 18 months now.

So, for me, it was really positive to come back in and feel like I can make a difference and help the team on my first game back. I'm just crossing my fingers that it will keep going like this.

He was typically modest about his part in Hyndman's winner – which was certainly not to be sniffed at.

It came out from a corner and Rohan [Ince] collected it. I had someone on me and I kind of just committed him a bit with the touch, and he did well not to give away a penalty, but it nearly went out so I thought I'll get it back into play.

Next thing I knew I was in the boards and when I looked up I saw it was in the goal. It all happened very quickly but it was a great feeling for all the lads.

It feels great to get a late winner like that. It's a game that could have really gone either way, so it's really nice that for once it was us who got that chance and put it away.

I thought Cardiff pinned us in quite well in the first half. We didn't really get out and didn't really start playing and have the good spells that we normally have. Second half it opened up a little bit and we started passing a bit more and were more positive.

Especially with Ryan [Fredericks] on, it gave us a different outlet in behind and we made good use of that to get up the pitch and win some corners and pin them in a little bit. It was really good, a few results went our way as well, and it was just a really, really good time for Emerson to pop up and get his first goal on his birthday.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/04/christensen-raring-to-go-after-fulham-return/?

WhiteJC

ARSENAL KEEPING CLOSE WATCH ON FULHAM'S BENFICA ACE

Gunners looking to boost offensive options

Arsenal are in the hunt for Fulham striker Konstantinos Mitroglou, who is currently firing in the goals week in week out on loan at Benfica.

The Greek international has netted 22 times in 39 appearances for the Portuguese giants, and also grabbed 19 in 33 for Olympiakos last season.

A return to Championship Fulham is deemed highly unlikely, and Benfica are reportedly keen to activate a £7m buy-out clause this summer as part of their loan agreement.

Arsene Wenger's side have allegedly enquired with the Cottagers over a fee for the 28-year-old, who arrived in west London for £12m in 2014.

Injuries and fitness problems denied us the chance to see what Mitroglou was capable of on English shores, but the striker has seemingly put any doubts over his physical ability to bed across the past two seasons.

Strong and powerful, Arsenal are likely to see the Greek as a halfway house between Olivier Giroud and Alexis Sanchez.

The Chilean has struggled in his second season at the Emirates, while Giroud continues to have his doubters.

With Theo Walcott again failing to consistently deliver, Arsenal have lacked a regular goal threat this season.

Mitroglou's full Fulham contract runs until the summer of 2018, and is currently valued by transfermarkt.co.uk at just over £7m.

Scoring just 23 times at the Emirates in the league this season, the Gunners are on course for their lowest-scoring home campaign in over 10 years, and it seems Wenger is keen to address that sooner rather than later.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/football/premier-league/arsenal-keeping-close-watch-on-fulhams-benfica-ace.html?

WhiteJC

Under-21s' Wolves Trip

Fulham Under-21s' penultimate game of the season takes them to Molineux on Wednesday (7pm) where they will face Wolverhampton Wanderers.

After last week's narrow defeat by league leaders Derby County, Peter Grant's boys currently sit ninth in the Barclays U21 Premier League Division 2, but if they win their remaining matches they could finish as high as sixth.

Wolves currently prop up the table as they have won just two of their 21 matches played to date. A point from their final fixture on Wednesday would ensure they leapfrog Brighton & Hove Albion in the standings, though.

One of their victories arrived at Motspur Park back in August, when efforts from Bradley Reid, Connor Ronan and Jed Wallace secured a 3-0 victory.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/april/12/under-21s-wolves-trip?

WhiteJC

Shahid Khan's advice to engineers: 'Make sure you make money'

Shahid Khan, owner of automotive supplier Flex-N-Gate, ranks as the 72nd wealthiest American at an estimated net worth of $6.5 billion, according to Forbes.

Billionaire business tycoon Shahid Khan told hundreds of engineers today in Detroit that the best advice he was ever given is to "make sure you make money" on any product a company makes.

"At the end of the month, you have to make money. You need the money in order to hire the people ... and invest in the business," said Khan, a Pakistani immigrant who came to the U.S. at age 16 to attend the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and now owns Flex-N-Gate and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

While the principle seems simple, Khan said engineers, as well as multibillion-dollar companies, often lose sight of that basic corporate need and design products that get ahead of what consumers are willing, or able, to buy.

"I think if you look at what happened here in this town in '08 and '09, some of the biggest companies in the world just ran out of cash," Khan said at the SAE World Congress, in reference to the Chapter 11 bankruptcies of General Motors, Chrysler and a number of large automotive suppliers.

Khan has followed the advice he shared.

Forbes ranks him as the 72nd wealthiest person in the U.S. and the 205th wealthiest in the world, with an estimated net worth of $6.5 billion. Khan, a longtime football fan, became the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2011. Two years later, he purchased Fulham Football Club, a soccer franchise in London for about $300 million.

Khan has made his fortune largely from Flex-N-Gate, an automotive supplier he began working for after graduating from college with an engineering degree. Khan left Flex-N-Gate in 1978 to start his own company but then purchased Flex-N-Gate two years later.

He has grown that company both through acquisitions and through innovative approaches to manufacturing bumpers and other plastic parts for the automotive industry.

Flex-N-Gate acquired part of struggling automotive supplier Meridian Automotive in 2009 and purchased Sandusky Lighting, a former division of Visteon, in 2012. At first, Visteon Lighting only had contracts with Ford. Now, Flex-N-Gate is gaining business from other automakers.

"That business is huge for us," Khan said. "It is over $1 billion annually for us now. ... It is very technology focused, so you can add value."

Flex-N-Gate's annual sales have increased from $2.5 billion in 2006 to $4.9 billion in 2015. This year, Khan said, sales should top $6.5 billion.

But there have been bumps in the road.

In 2013, the Khan dealt with a major organizing push by the UAW at the company's plant in Arlington, Texas, and at several other plants. The union accused the company of underpaying workers and exposing them to hazardous working conditions. Eventually, the UAW reached a contract agreement with Flex-N-Gate. The UAW currently represents about 40% of Flex-N-Gate's U.S. hourly workforce.

"We've got multiple plants, and it's a decision for employees to make," Khan said on the sidelines of the engineering conference. "I've had no issue with any union, and our employees belong to various unions. UAW is one of them and the CAW, steelworkers, machinists, electrical workers, and God bless them. It's their choice."

Khan also said it took him more than a decade to buy an NFL franchise. He said he began by "cold calling" NFL executives and getting to know key owners.

Khan nearly bought the Rams in 2010, but found it difficult to break into the elite club of owners.

"From the 1890s to 2010, there had never been a non-white owner" of an NFL team, Khan said. "When I heard that, I thought this was never going to go through. There were whispers ... and it never made sense to me."

But just one year later, Khan's effort to network with NFL owners and executives and his understanding of the league paid off.

"I had already gone through a lot of the peer review. I knew a lot of people," Khan said. "It was approved by membership in two weeks."

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2016/04/12/shahid-khans-advice-engineers-make-sure-you-make-money/82921308/?

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

Things certainly look a lot rosier than when I penned my last column, as we've gone from one to 10 points clear of the relegation zone. That's a combination of our good results and other teams such as MK Dons not winning. It looks like, touch wood, we're definitely going to stay up now.

Our most recent win of three on the bounce came against Cardiff City courtesy of Emerson Hyndman's 93rd-minute goal. It doesn't matter when you score, but you could argue we deserve one of them because we've had a few against us. Cardiff are a decent side on the edge of the Play-Offs, so that was a good result. It shows you how good we can be, but we have to try and do that week in, week out. Sure, you're going to have some bad results now and again, even the likes of Middlesbrough and Burnley have had poor ones, but you've got to bounce back. You can't tell me that our squad is any worse than Brighton, for instance, who are third in the table and looking to go up automatically. Our squad is as good as that. Some of the games aren't pretty but that's what you've got to do, you've got to grind it out.

That's what we've done the last three matches. Always winning by the odd goal, I think that's the sign of a good team. Okay, when you win three, four, five-nil it's great, but it's the one-nils and the two-ones that really matter because that's two points that could go either way, for example with a late goal as it turned out against Cardiff. Those are the ones that I call proper football results. I'm pleased for Emerson being the matchwinner, it's amazing that it was on his birthday. That will give him a really great kick, and good luck to him.

We've got Brighton on Friday and we know that will be a tough test, but it's winnable. Although there's a big difference between our placings in the table, it's a winnable game. I went to the Amex recently to watch them against Sheffield Wednesday and really there was no difference between the sides. I've got huge respect for my ex-teammate Chris Hughton, who was with me at West Ham at the end of his career. I think he's one of the best managers in the Championship, and certainly the one who, at the top, is overachieving more than anyone else, with his budget and the quality of players that he's got. It shows what good management and coaching can do. Although having said all that, it wouldn't surprise me if we beat them.

There's a big Fulham connection at Brighton these days with some of the boys they've got playing for them. Bobby Zamora rejoined in the summer, although he's not played much recently through injury. I think Chris probably signed him as more of an impact player, and in fairness he's got his fair share of goals this season. Stevie Sidwell signed on loan from Stoke recently but hasn't featured as much as he thought he would I expect. But he's obviously their hero at the moment after notching that winning goal in the last minute on Monday. We know everything about him, he's a terrific lad and in a Championship team a really good, experienced player. And David Stockdale, I think, is the best striker of the ball as far as goalkeepers go, potentially in the country. Even if you look at Premier League goalkeepers, the way they strike the ball, he's one of the rare breed of goalkeepers that can find a pass maybe 50/60 yards away. He's excellent on the ball.

Soon after Brighton we're on the road again when we face Ipswich. They've fallen away a bit, and fallen away at the wrong time as well as it looks like they're going to miss out on the Play-Offs now. But again, it's a team that when you look at them on paper, we have the better squad. Mick McCarthy is one of the most experienced managers now, particularly in the Championship, and he would have expected that they'd be in and around those Play-Off spots. He's a good manager, but I think it's a game we should win.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/april/12/the-tony-gale-column?

WhiteJC

Shock Arsenal interest emerges in free scoring Championship forward

The form of Kostas Mitroglou has attracted shock interest from Arsenal in the Fulham striker currently on loan at Benfica, according to Portuguese outlet A Bola.

The Greek marksman has spent much of the last 18 months on loan with both the Lisbon giants and Olympiakos following his arrival in West London, a mere six months before their relegation to the Championship in 2014.

His free scoring form in Portugal has reportedly not gone unnoticed and the Gunners are said to be keeping tabs on him.

Across all competitions, the forward has notched an impressive 22 goals in the Portuguese capital.

It is unlikely the Cottagers will be able to keep a hold of the 28-year old after a miserable season at Craven Cottage.

Though they are all but safe now, they have been fighting towards the bottom of the table for large parts of the campaign.

They face a tough trip to the South Coast on Friday looking to put a dent in Brighton's promotion push.

Current star forward Moussa Dembele looks destined to leave the club this summer when his contract expires, with his heroic form one of the few bright spots of the season.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/shock-arsenal-interest-emerges-in-free-scoring-fulham-forward-not-dembele/?

WhiteJC

Tuesday Results

Birmingham
1-2 Leeds
Middlesborough
2-1 Reading