watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

End of season Fof feedback

Started by dannyboi-ffc, May 09, 2016, 01:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

Very useful guys. Thanks for the input so far.

AttM unfortunately the suggestion about giving the op of a thread the freedom to delete responses can't be approved. The moderators are there with an unbiased view to what's acceptable. An op would naturally just remove well....whatever or whoever disagreed. At least some people would. 

You have the right to report any posts you don't approve of instead. How do you find that process works as an alternative?
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 10, 2016, 03:43:58 PM
I wonder how many times the posts about repeating the same opinion will be repeated?  094.gif

I think that we can confidently say a lot less than Kit was brought up by some posters.

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on May 10, 2016, 04:17:22 PM

AttM unfortunately the suggestion about giving the op of a thread the freedom to delete responses can't be approved. The moderators are there with an unbiased view to what's acceptable. An op would naturally just remove well....whatever or whoever disagreed. At least some people would. 

You have the right to report any posts you don't approve of instead. How do you find that process works as an alternative?

I can see, regrettably, that delegation would be impractical and would be misused by some. I don't tend to start of many threads myself but was hoping that some way might be found to help those that do to keep their thread on topic and stop it being hijacked by what is the current obsession by the more vocal and indiscriminate posters.

I have a high toleration/thick skin for criticism against myself because the abusers have usually lost the plot and can easily be dismissed. And the moderators are quick to deal with that kind of thing. The moderators might though consider being a little more lenient on some gentle mockery and sarcasm which might reign in some of the excesses of some posters.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on May 10, 2016, 04:54:21 PM

I can see, regrettably, that delegation would be impractical and would be misused by some. I don't tend to start of many threads myself but was hoping that some way might be found to help those that do to keep their thread on topic and stop it being hijacked by what is the current obsession by the more vocal and indiscriminate posters.

I have a high toleration/thick skin for criticism against myself because the abusers have usually lost the plot and can easily be dismissed. And the moderators are quick to deal with that kind of thing. The moderators might though consider being a little more lenient on some gentle mockery and sarcasm which might reign in some of the excesses of some posters.

Fair enough. All your thoughts will be discussed by the mods over the summer as we look to tweek things a little to make things run smoother.

Totally agree about keeping topics on track as quite a few good topic starters lose their way and get ruined. Unfortunately as you've just agreed it can't be a case of allowing the op the freedom to control their thread because some would definitely abuse it.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on May 10, 2016, 05:00:20 PM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on May 10, 2016, 04:54:21 PM

Fair enough. All your thoughts will be discussed by the mods over the summer as we look to tweek things a little to make things run smoother.

Totally agree about keeping topics on track as quite a few good topic starters lose their way and get ruined. Unfortunately as you've just agreed it can't be a case of allowing the op the freedom to control their thread because some would definitely abuse it.

I meant to say in my piece that I am intolerant of abuse against other posters, particularly those that are quieter and more objective. For example, say a poster says that they like a player because of this or that despite shortcomings in some other area and then another poster responds with the likes of "He should not be playing because he is s**t" then that is abusive of the original poster's opinion. The original opinion deserves reasoned counter-argument.

dannyboi-ffc

All opinions deserve a counter argument otherwise it would be a pointless debate. All members have to understand that by making an opinion you are inviting people to respond with their own views. No one should take it personally or start getting uptight because people are debating with them. But at the same time there's debating and then there's being disrespectful and abusive. 

We need to find that mutual respect as a collective.

Because the abuse and lack of appreciation for other views happens so often it becomes difficult for the mods to interpret what's banter and what's not. Especially when a persistent argumentative person all of a sudden decides they are joking.

We all love banter, I certainly do. I think members also need to understand moderators don't moderate to be personal.  Sometimes we make mistakes or misinterpret things but you shouldn't feel hard done by.

Only by reducing the amount of abuse can we clearly see whether something is worth turning a blind eye too. Another issue we have is consistency.

If you say "put a sock in it sunshine lol" and then someone says, "put a sock in it you miserable mug." One is clearly banter and the other quite unnecessary but if we removed 1 and not the other we would still be moaned at.

It's very difficult to win in our position. That's why we felt this feedback might help to get an understanding of each other's issues

I think it's also worth highlighting that the mods aren't invisible. None of us are above the rules and we are very much posters like the rest of you. So it couldn't be easier for you to report a post or contact one of us with an issue. That's one of the reasons we are here. Maybe by going through us instead of taking matters into your own hands we can create a better atmosphere.

Everyone has to cooperate and use the forum properly. If that happens, then next season will be a lot more enjoyable......won't it Joka.  049:gif

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Lighthouse

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on May 10, 2016, 04:34:44 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on May 10, 2016, 03:43:58 PM
I wonder how many times the posts about repeating the same opinion will be repeated?  094.gif

I think that we can confidently say a lot less than Kit was brought up by some posters.

I agree the unfair abuse he was given when he wasn't even the manager as a justification of support for Joka was disturbing. Plus the fact that some posters would just bring up Kit Symons name in any thread whatever the subject of that thread was indeed odd.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

ffcjohnnyf

I don't post that often here, but I do enjoy the forum. Whether it is because people have to register, I think there is a lot less trolling and flaming here than on other FFC forums, with one in particular springing to mind! I'm not over keen on separate topics layout, I prefer to scroll down a single page, but can live with the format here no worries. The problem, as with ALL forums is that we can only use words, but no tone or body language, so quite often people can take things the wrong way or misunderstand: the 55 38 7 rule as it is known. This is the nature of the beast I guess, but the use of smileys etc can help to partly counteract this. If, and it is a big if, things improve on and off the pitch next season, hopefully we will be a much happier group!
VIVA EL FULHAM!

RaySmith

Good points Johnnyf.

FoF definitely is a much more comfortable and enjoyable place than some other Fulham forums I've  been on, and I think the Mods  do a lot to keep it like this, but also the members, who self -regulate quite a lot.

Danny also makes a good point about banter - when is it or isn't it? and the difficulties  here for Mods, who I think  are generally sensitive, and not heavy handed in this respect.

jarv

I can't find anything negative to say. Living abroad, FoF is critical for all my Fulham news (and occasional non football banter around Fulham and Putney). GJ is my only access to live games.

FoF mods, keep up the good work and thank you. :54:

bill taylors apprentice

Excellent job done by all involved with FOF.

One of the things that annoys me is when people quote something as a fact when its clearly not so.

E.g. How can we be subject to the financial fair play this season when we just sold Roberts for X amount!

When its been said time and again that the period under scrutiny was the previous period, not the current period in which we have sold said player.

When its an obvious omission or error maybe a Mod could step in and point out the facts before the post wanders off course?

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on May 11, 2016, 02:16:02 PM
Excellent job done by all involved with FOF.

One of the things that annoys me is when people quote something as a fact when its clearly not so.

E.g. How can we be subject to the financial fair play this season when we just sold Roberts for X amount!

When its been said time and again that the period under scrutiny was the previous period, not the current period in which we have sold said player.

When its an obvious omission or error maybe a Mod could step in and point out the facts before the post wanders off course?

I can see how a poster might have missed the fact about the different financial years but why it generally takes off is because, as you say, posters can be so confident in their 'fact' or opinion and expressed it in an angry and aggressive way and that draws in other angry and aggressive people who equally don't know or don't care about the facts.

A little more detachment and calmness would often help and avoid what used to be called 'flame wars'.