watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Reg Stratton - His Fulham Career.

Started by TonyGilroy, February 02, 2010, 06:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyGilroy

As promised and I am sure eagerly awaited - the truth can be revealed as to the number on the back of Reg Stratton's shirt.

In 24 appearances our man clearly possessed 2 shirts, the number 9 being worn 15 times and number 11 on 9 occasions.

Those who claim to have seen him with 10 on his back are strangers to the truth.

finnster01

Thank you mate, that settles that question
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FC Silver Fox

You do realize that with posts like this, you're going to have our good friend, Corked Hat, spluttering over his tinnie (or should that be tinny)?    His health ain't what it used to be.  We have to be careful.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Lighthouse

I am very proud of my earlier post. I wasn't that far out -

Reg played with the number 9 shIrt more often than 10 or 11. Something like a ratio of 11 to 8
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

SheffieldWhite

Those were the days when you wouldn't have an inkling of the team until it was announced on the tannoy ie the team changes from the official programme line up. I can still recall my heart sinking when Reg's name was read out about 5 mins before kick off. Am I being unfair to him? I believe he scored 3 goals! My case rests.

ron

It's was an easy mistake to make, seeing the bloke with the number 10 and thinking it was Reg......

....but honestly I really don't remember him being as bad as some.

OldBrownShoe

I think Reg was originally a left winger (hence number 11 shirt) but he was so poor in that position, that at times when we were short of fit players, he was played up front. He was. of course, ineffectual there too.  Strangely (and I also saw a lot of reserve games too back then) he was much better in the stiffs. 'Stiff' would be an adequate description of his style. He was no Graham Leggat or Les Barrett.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

Tonywa

Quote from: OldBrownShoe on February 03, 2010, 07:18:51 AM
I think Reg was originally a left winger (hence number 11 shirt) but he was so poor in that position, that at times when we were short of fit players, he was played up front. He was. of course, ineffectual there too.  Strangely (and I also saw a lot of reserve games too back then) he was much better in the stiffs. 'Stiff' would be an adequate description of his style. He was no Graham Leggat or Les Barrett.

A former England amateur international, he was in no way even remotely up to the task of playing at the top level in English football.  As a schoolboy nearly all the Fulham players were heroes to me whether good, bad or indifferent.  However even in my pre-teens I regarded Stratton as something of a joke and wondered how on earth the management thought him suited to playing in a side which featured Macedo, Cohen, Langley, Mullery, Robson, Leggat and Haynes amongst its members.

Peabody

Poor old Reg, he was a bit out of his depth was'nt he? Simular to another very good amatuer who joined us Bobby Brown. Set the world alight as an England Amatuer player but could'nt cut it with us.

TonyGilroy

It was a very different football world then though.

I think we played 3 professional teams up to the early 1960s. The reserves were in the Football Combination and the third team in the Metropolitan League. There were reserve cup competitions as well.

A club like FFC would have maybe 40 professionals but no first team squad. No substitutes allowed of course. We had a first team which played every game unless injured or dropped. Guys could stay 10 years at a club with only the very occasional first team game or none at all. The wages were so low that that they were easily affordable and people paid to see the reserve games. Captain of the reserves was a prestigious position.

Reg was only ever going to get a first team game in an emergency and the fact that he wasn't good enough was a shame but he wasn't at the club with any expectation that he was a first team player.

Tonywa

Also from my childhood I remember players like Trevor Watson and Dai Edwards who were with the club for years and played in the reserves on a regular basis, but who made very few first team appearances.

OldBrownShoe

Dai Edwards!  There was always a collective groan if he was announced in the team changes as playing.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

Peabody

I know for a fact that Norman Smith was never that popular a Player but I thought he was quite good, considering that he was only ever a part-time Player, by that Imean not Proffesional.