more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (21/05/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 21, 2016, 08:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Madl Signs Permanently

The Club is delighted to confirm the permanent signing of Michael Madl from Sturm Graz.

The defender initially arrived at Fulham on loan in January in a deal that included an option to make the move permanent, something that has now been invoked, keeping Madl at the Club until the summer of 2018.

An impressive debut in the 3-1 win at Queens Park Rangers was the first of 13 appearances the 28-year-old made in the second half of the season, and he opened his account for the Club when he netted in a 3-0 victory over Charlton Athletic.

Speaking to the official website, Madl said: "I'm delighted to have completed the permanent move to Fulham this morning and would like to thank the fans, players and staff at SK Sturm Graz for an amazing time there.

"I'm now continuing a new challenge in England with Fulham following on from my initial loan spell this year. I've enjoyed the past five months where the Fulham fans have made me feel so welcome from the very first day.

"I'm looking forward to a new exciting season in the Championship and I'm confident that I can be part of something special with the Club."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/may/20/michael-madl-signs-permanently?

WhiteJC

Michael Madl: Fulham sign Austrian defender after loan spell

Michael Madl received his first-call up to the Austria senior squad last June

Fulham have taken up the option to sign on-loan defender Michael Madl from Austrian side Sturm Graz.

The 28-year-old has signed a two-year contract with the Championship side until the summer of 2018.

Madl made 13 appearances and scored one goal after joining the club on loan in January.

"I've enjoyed the past five months with Fulham where the fans have made me feel so welcome from the very first day," Madl told the club website.

"I'm looking forward to a new exciting season in the Championship and I'm confident that I can be part of something special with the club."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36341627

WhiteJC

Fulham reward the one loanee out of six to make the difference in a struggling season

Austrian central defender secures a contract until 2016 as Whites start their recruitment drive after a torrid last campaign in the Championship

Vienna waltz: Michael Madl celebrates

Fulham have wrapped up the loan signing of Michael Madl on a two-year deal.

The permanent switch from Austrian top flight outfit Sturm Graz recognised the progress the 28-year-old made since he joined on loan in January.

In fact, Madl was the one new outstanding success as Whites clawed their way their way to safety shackled by a transfer embargo that allowed them only loans.

Rohan Ince from Brighton was hit and miss in midfield. Chris Baird, on his return to the club fro whom he played six seasons was little short of a failure, and winger Zakaria Labyad from Sporting CP in Portugal disappeared without trace.

Before that, keeper Joe Lewis was kept down the pecking order by Marcus Bettinelli and Andy Lonergan, and Luke Garbutt also met with sporadic success.

Madl made an impressive debut in the 3-1 win at QPR in February - the first of a lucky 13 appearances the 28-year-old and scored in the 3-0 win over Charlton that eased relegation fears.

Speaking to the club's offiical website, Madl said: "I'm delighted to have completed the permanent move to Fulham this morning and would like to thank the fans, players and staff at SK Sturm Graz for an amazing time there.

"I'm now continuing a new challenge in England with Fulham following on from my initial loan spell this year. I've enjoyed the past five months with Fulham where the fans have made me feel so welcome from the very first day.

"I'm looking forward to a new exciting season in the Championship and I'm confident that I can be part of something special with the Club."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-reward-one-loanee-out-11360646?

WhiteJC

Under-21 Friendlies

The Club can confirm details of a number of pre-season friendlies scheduled for Fulham's Under-21 side:

Saturday 9th July (3pm) – Sutton United v Fulham XI
Wednesday 20th July – AFC Bournemouth U21s v Fulham U21s
Saturday 23rd July – Barnet U21s v Fulham U21s
Wednesday 27th July – Queens Park Rangers U21s v Fulham U21s
All fixtures are away from home, with kick-off times to be confirmed. Further fixtures and information will be detailed in due course.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/may/20/under-21-friendlies?

WhiteJC

Winning Start For Woodrow

Cauley Woodrow came on in the 58th minute as England Under-21s kicked off their Toulon Tournament with a 1-0 win over Portugal on Thursday.

The Young Lions had twice been thwarted by the Portuguese goalkeeper in the first half, but made the breakthrough on the hour mark when Ruben Loftus-Cheek teed up his Chelsea teammate Lewis Baker for a simple finish.

England are next in action when they face Guinea in their second group match on Monday.

Photo courtesy of thefa.com.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/may/20/winning-start-for-woodrow?

WhiteJC

Fulham date arranged

With games already arranged against Ebbsfleet, Hampton and Tonbridge, we are pleased to announce that we will be playing a Fulham XI on Saturday 9 July, kick off 3.00pm. We hope to be able to announce two further home friendlies during the course of next week.

http://www.suttonunited.net/news.php?#3505

WhiteJC

Brentford, Fulham, QPR, Barnet and AFC Wimbledon face future of NO midweek games, five divisions, and 100 Football League teams

The League list massive changes designed to affect ALL west London sides outside the Premier League but still needs the nod from all clubs before they get green light

In the most radical shake-up since the inauguration of the Premier League - the Football League proposes ground-breaking moves scheduled to kick in as early as 2019-20 season.

Currently, Brentford, Fulham and QPR play a total of 10 Championship midweek matches. If clubs agree to the new model that will be reduced to one by 2019.

More importantly, there will be five Football League divisions behind the Premier League, each of 20 teams to reduce midweek travel and provide dates to play postponements.

More key proposals:
Winter break
Removal of FA Cup replays
Consideration to be given to moving some rounds of the FA Cup to midweek
The future of the Community Shield to be debated
And for the likes of AFC Wimbledon and Barnet, the much maligned Football League Trophy is due a much-needed overhaul.

Snow go: Fulham celebrate an FA Cup replay at Wolves, soon to become a thing of the past

Key factors:
The Football League want:
Clubs to be financially no worse, or preferably better, position as a result of any changes
Promotion to/relegation from the Premier League must be retained at three places
No relegation out of the Football League in season 2018/19
Football League Clubs must support the final proposal

Football League Trophy
A new format introduced to potentially include a group structure of three games and a knockout thereafter;
There is no shortage of available dates to provide the Football League with scheduling flexibility
Playing group games over the middle weekend of international breaks will provide the competition with its own identity
The Football League makes plain D-Day on decisions
A statement said: "The final decision in respect of this proposal will need to be confirmed by November 2017.

"This is to ensure a smooth transition between current and future domestic Football League broadcasting agreements.

"It also coincides with the relevant period when the Premier League will issue an ITT for the next cycle of broadcasting rights. The Football League will be seeking a decision from their clubs at the June 2017 AGM."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brentford-fulham-qpr-barnet-afc-11361193?

WhiteJC

Madl: I Love The Club

Now a permanent member of the Fulham family, Michael Madl has his sights set on a more prosperous 2016/17.

Following a successful loan move, the Club swiftly activated an option to sign the centre-back on a full-time basis, and a two-year contract was finalised on Friday morning.

"It feels very good," Madl told fulhamfc.com. "I'm very happy and I'm looking forward to next season.

"I just tried to give my best in every training session and every game. I always said I want to stay at Fulham, and now I am.

"Personally I think I did okay last season - it's a completely different league. I had some problems with the language in the first month, but now I think when I come back for pre-season it will be easier for me and I'll get better."

It's a humble assessment from the 28-year-old, who instantly won the hearts of the Fulham faithful with a superb debut in the 3-1 derby win at Loftus Road in February.

Indeed, he showed no signs of having to adjust to a new country and culture, and was an assured presence in defence in each of his 13 appearances.

"Like I said, I just try to give my best," he explained. "I try to give 100 per cent every training session and every game, and if you do that I think the fans will appreciate that. I just try to give my best and I'm sure we can do a much better job next season.

"My teammates made it really easy for me. I love the city and I love the Club. It's a really nice city with lots of things to do, and it's pretty cool to have two more years of living in London and playing for Fulham."

After helping the Whites stave off the threat of relegation in his loan spell last season, Madl is fully focused on challenging at the other end of the Sky Bet Championship next term.

"We have to do the job completely differently," he admitted. "For a club like Fulham it's not okay to be 20th in the table.

"I think a club like Fulham needs to play long-term in the Premier League. For me, Fulham is a Premier League club."

You can join Michael and the team at Craven Cottage next year, with adult Season Tickets starting from just £254!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/may/20/michael-madl-i-love-the-club?

WhiteJC

Interview with former USMNT striker Brian McBride

Brian McBride and his family at Crew Stadium as McBride is inducted in the Crew's Circle of Honor on July 16, 2011.
Photo by Jamie Sabau/Getty Images

Brian McBride is one of the most successful American soccer players to have ever been involved in the sport. He's played professionally both at home and abroad and is currently the fourth all-time leading goal scorer for the United States men's national team. He was inducted in to the National Soccer Hall of Fame in 2011. Now retired as a player, McBride is living back in his home town of Chicago where he's established McBride's Attacking Soccer Academy. He remains involved in many soccer related activities including working as an analyst for ESPN soccer coverage. In his latest endeavor he has teamed up with Allstate and the United States Soccer Foundation as a representative for the Passback Program. Passback collects and distributes new and used soccer equipment to children that don't have access to the sport.

In a recent interview McBride spoke of his involvement with the Passback Program, his playing career and his thoughts on the continued growth of soccer in the United States.

McBride has been working with Allstate as a brand ambassador over the past three years. As one of Major League Soccer's corporate sponsors Allstate has partnered with the United States Soccer Foundation's Passback Program.

"This year Allstate partnered with the U.S. Soccer Foundation," McBride stated. "Now they're able to reach a lot more people through Passback." He went on to explain how the program works at different soccer matches throughout the year. "At these events we're asking all soccer fans to bring in gently used or new soccer equipment to distribute."

McBride played in MLS's inaugural season back in 1996. When asked about the league's progression over the past 20 years he said, "It's night and day since day one for so many reasons. The biggest change is in infrastructure. The fact that most clubs have their own stadiums, their own facilities, their own academies. None of that was there in the beginning." He continued adding, "The second part is the fans and the growth. Not only have people come around to soccer but now there are the fan groups and fanatical fans. You go to any MLS stadium and you'll have support that very few (teams) had in the beginning."

McBride played in Germany's second division with Wolfsburg from 1994-1995 before joining the Columbus Crew when MLS began play in 1996. McBride had two loan spells while with Columbus. During the 2000-2001 season he spent time with England's Notts County and joined Premier League club Everton in 2003. His play in England attracted interest which led to McBride signing for EPL side Fulham in 2004. He remained with the London based club before returning to MLS and the Chicago Fire in 2008.

When asked to compare the difference between the European leagues and MLS McBride said, "On the field it's different. In the top leagues in Europe the quality throughout the teams and the technical ability is higher. The understanding of the game is higher, but the styles of play are all different. England is very physical and fast paced. Spain has the extreme technical qualities of players throughout the whole team. Italy is very tactical."

As far as the relegation system used in leagues throughout the world McBide stated, "I love the European promotion system. I just can't see it happening here."

McBride became a fan favorite and team captain as a member of Fulham. He was named the club's Player of the Year in 2007 and 2008. He was so popular that Fulham named the sports bar at the club's home ground Craven Cottage after him. Despite the fact that he has only been at McBride's once he said, "It didn't take me longer than a split second to say oh yeah" when Fulham asked if they could name the bar after him.

He described his time in London with fondness and said that there was a mutual respect between him and Fulham.

"We were very fortunate when we made the move to England. It was something we desperately wanted to do. We thought it was just going to be for two and a half years." (They remained for five years.) We loved it so much". He added, "The relationship kept growing and blossoming."

At the end of the 2007-2008 season McBride announced that he would be leaving Fulham and returning to MLS to join the Chicago Fire. He explained his decision to return to the United States saying, "We came home because of our kids. It was home for my wife and I."

McBride was a member of the United States Men's National Team from 1993-2006. He had 96 caps, scored 30 goals and represented the U.S. at the 1998, 2002 and 2006 World Cups. He scored at both the 1998 and 2002 tournaments to become the first American player to do so.

McBride spoke about his favorite memory of his time with the USMNT. "The whole experience of the 2002 World Cup was just amazing. Bruce (Arena) made it very much a family atmosphere. All of our families were there. Everything seemed to work on the field. It was awesome to be a part of it."

With regards to the current national team McBride said, "The team is still finding its way. Jurgen (Klinsmann) is finding out who his best players are, the best way to line them up and certainly over the next six months it's going to be ultra-important to make sure we have some stability in the back. We need a spine that people can count on."

Asked about which teams outside of MLS that he roots for McBride stated, "That's easy for me. Fulham's first, then Everton. Everton gave me my first opportunity to play in the Premier League."

Finally McBride was questioned about his thoughts on the Michael Jackson statue that once stood at Fulham's home ground. He explained that Fulham's former owner Mohamed Al-Fayed who also owned Harrods had intended to install the statue inside the department store. It instead ended up at Craven Cottage. He summed up it up saying, "Mr. Al-Fayed is an awesome guy. He's eccentric but he's awesome."

http://www.examiner.com/article/interview-with-former-usmnt-striker-brian-mcbride?

WhiteJC

Own A Piece Of Fulham History

We're offering fans the chance to take home a unique piece of Fulham memorabilia, as part of the #Cohen66 fundraising campaign.

Douglas Jennings, sculptor of George Cohen's Statue, has kindly the donated the mould he used to make the head for the Johnny Haynes Statue back in 2008.

Supporters are now invited to submit offers for the plaster mould, which weighs approximately 5kg and measures 14x10 inches, with bids starting at £750*.

Fans have until 9pm on Tuesday 24th May to submit bids.

*Shipping costs are not included in the winning auction bid.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/may/21/own-a-piece-of-fulham-history?