watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (15.08.10)

Started by White Noise, August 14, 2010, 07:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/908773/COTTAGERS-WILL-NEED-MORE-SPARK.html

COTTAGERS WILL NEED MORE SPARK

Bolton 0 Fulham 0

By Chris Bascombe

WELCOME to life in the slow lane, Sparky. Mark Hughes' spell at Manchester City as manager was typified by unlimited prosperity, frenzied expectation and a reoccurring sense of foreboding.

A year ago, he thought every game was his last, even when he was winning.

This serene comeback to the Premier League must have felt like a cosy return to normality after 18 months in an asylum.

One wonders whether Hughes mused privately on the hysteria of Eastlands as he sat through such an unengaging opening fixture.

The Fulham post is not just a different job, it must seem like an altogether different occupation.

Questions about Premier League triumph or Champions League qualification won't need to be rehearsed too often this season.

Perhaps a year of modest demands and a break from the unrelenting pressures he endured at City is precisely what Hughes needs.

Fulham, as Sparky's predecessor Roy Hodgson proved, is the perfect place to dally in a little reputation rebuilding en route to greater heights. He is never going to aspire to the Eastlands agenda at Craven Cottage - but this will prove the ideal, transitional job if he keeps Fulham's respectability intact.

A stalemate against a promising Bolton side was an adequate start, especially as he has had so little time to settle into his new club.

Hughes' first preoccupation appears to be retaining the core of the squad Hodgson left behind.

His first team selection does not bode well. Mark Schwarzer and Paul Konchesky were notable absentees, both presumably travelling to watch potential new employers at Anfield this afternoon.

Hughes' insisted the duo's absence was purely down to injury - but as Arsenal and Liverpool make their interest in the pair known, claims that he hopes they will be available next weekend sounded hollow.

With Schwarzer mulling over his future, Hughes had to call on David Stockdale. His luck was that the deputy keeper gave an outstanding performance.

Indeed, Stockdale was man of the match, denying Swedish striker Johan Elmander a reward for individual brilliance twice in the second half.

That was as close as either team came to breaking through in a clash that threatened to find a pulse on a couple of occasions but never did.

England's new hope Bobby Zamora was left too isolated and the elegant Fulham midfield looked understandably short of match fitness and invention.

They were solid and well organised but they did not look like claiming an away win.

So tranquil were the proceedings that you tentatively expected the match announcer to thank such a large crowd for turning up to a pre-season clash.

Any vibrancy and anticipation before kick-off was drained away by the serenity on the pitch. It lacked tension, excitement, goalmouth action and incident. If it wasn't for that, it would have been a thriller.

There is far too much talent in these teams to make them anything but nailed on, mid-table respectability dwellers - but they will have to re-start the season next week. Preferably, as both managers conceded, having sharpened up and discovered an edge.

In fairness, like many Premier League managers, there was plentiful evidence to suggest the campaign has been thrust upon Hughes and Bolton boss Owen Coyle sooner than they would like.

The recurring theme of the summer has been of managers complaining about being unable to make desperately required additions, and the quota rules reaping havoc.

While Hughes adjusts to a new office, Coyle still hopes to add to his squad. The glaring absentee from last season's Bolton side was Jack Wilshere, who has been recalled by Arsenal from his loan spell. What promise there was arrived from Elmander and Stuart Holden, another cultured midfielder.

HUGHES: Gentle return to top flightThe Swede has never truly delivered since his £7million move during the Gary Megson era - but Coyle clearly has faith he can revitalise him.

Elmander was denied a brilliant solo effort after running through the heart of the Fulham defence, only for Stockdale to save with his legs.

When the striker was subbed six minutes from time, he received a standing ovation.

Holden, part of the United States World Cup squad, almost nicked a win 10 minutes from time when he struck a post.

The visitors enjoyed a rare spell of pressure in the final stages, but keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen never had to make a save. It meant there were no sparks flying here on the opening day. For that, Hughes might actually be grateful.

BOLTON: Jaaskelainen 6, Steinsson 7, Cahill 7, Knight 7, Robinson 7, Lee 6, Muamba 7 (M Davies 84min, 5), Holden 6, Petrov 6 (Taylor 84, 5), Elmander 7 (Klasnic 88, 5), K Davies 6. Subs not used: Bodgan, Ricketts, Blake, A O'Brien.

FULHAM: Stockdale 8, Kelly 7, Pantsil 7, Hangeland 7, Hughes 7, Gera 6 (Dempsey 75min, 5), Murphy 6, Etuhu 6, Davies 5, Duff 5, Zamora 6. Subs not used: Zuberbuhler, Baird, Stoor, Riise, Greening, Elm.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6312511,00.html

Hughes admits Schwarzer doubt

Cottagers boss welcomes new additions

By Hayley Paterson   

Last updated: 14th August 2010   

Fulham boss Mark Hughes admitted after the 0-0 draw at Bolton that Mark Schwarzer's future is still uncertain.

The former Manchester City boss came into his new role with a goalkeeping headache prior to the game at the Reebok Stadium after Schwarzer picked up a back injury and was deemed too much of a risk to play.

The Cottagers chief gave back-up shot-stopper David Stockdale only his second Premier League start and the 24-year-old proved a worthy addition to the away side as his assured display helped earn Fulham a point and clean sheet.

Schwarzer's Fulham future has been in doubt for some months after Arsenal came in with a bid for the Australia international, prompting the 'keeper to hand in a transfer request.

Hughes ideally wants to keep his No.1 but admitted the transfer saga is no closer to being resolved.

Asked if the 37-year-old would be at Fulham much longer, Hughes said: "That is the intention, yes. Nothing has moved on.

Conversations
"Myself and Mark have had conversations and I fully understand the reasoning behind the fact that he maybe wants to take up the opportunity (to join Arsenal).

"But I think he also understands that we have to protect our position as well, and that is what we are doing.

"We are not going to put Fulham's position or reputation at risk by making promises we can't fulfil, so at the moment it's very much the status quo and nothing has moved on."

Fulham had good chances to clinch their first away win in 18 Premier League games when Bobby Zamora saw a lob just sail over Jussi Jaaskelainen's bar.

However Bolton had equally good efforts on goal, in particular Stuart Holden's 78th-minute drive which cannoned off the post.

Hughes paid tribute to his players' preparation which saw a usually robust Kevin Davies stifled up front as Johan Elmander failed to break the deadlock for the hosts.

"I was pleased, I thought we equipped ourselves really quite well," he said.

"We closed down the space well, our back five including our young 'keeper David Stockdale, I thought they were really accomplished today and dealt with everything that was asked of them."

An inspired performance from centre-back Brede Hangeland earned particular praise from Hughes after the Dane gave Davies a tough time which frustrated the Bolton frontman.

Accomplished
"I thought Brede, with his stature in the game, was able to cope quite well with that and with the few balls that he did miss the back four got in position very early to deal with the second ball which is always important when you come to Bolton," said Hughes.

Stockdale will no doubt take a share of the plaudits for a calm and collected display for the visitors and Hughes highlighted the youngster's accomplished performance.

With very little activity in the transfer market, Hughes said he would welcome more additions to Fulham who have been linked with a move for Manchester City's Craig Bellamy.

"We're talking with players and with clubs and if we can get more players in then we will be pleased because I've got good quality players in the squad already. If we can add further quality I think we'll have a good season," added the Welshman.

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/908343/BRUCE-MAKES-MOVE-FOR-ZAMORA.html

BRUCE MAKES MOVE FOR ZAMORA

England new boy in the frame

By Martin Hardy, 14/08/2010

STEVE BRUCE wants to land England striker Bobby Zamora.

Sunderland boss Bruce needs a replacement for Kenwyne Jones, who joined Stoke last week for £8million.

He has toyed with moves for Peter Crouch, Craig Bellamy and Ghana's World Cup star Asamoah Gyan but all three deals have stumbled so far.

He has also tracked Loic Remy, the Nice striker who flew into England for talks with Stoke last week and who made his debut for France in midweek.

But Zamora's strength would be the ideal foil for Darren Bent and he has the Premier League experience to make an immediate impact at the Stadium of Light.

The 29-year-old has only two years left on his deal at Craven Cottage and a move north would potentially double his current salary.

He has emerged as the main target man in the country following the international retirement of Emile Heskey.

Sunderland have the funds after selling Jones and last season's captain Lorik Cana.

But they would face the now age-old problem of tempting a player from the South to the North East.

However the success of Bent, who went from London to the Stadium of Light last summer, would strengthen their position.

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/scottish_sport/909584/Neil-Lennon-has-launched-a-bid-to-bring-Man-City-keeper-to-Celtic.html

Shay's the No1 target

CELTS ARE SET TO SLUG IT OUT WITH FULHAM TO LAND REPUBLIC OF IRELAND No1

By Andrew Graham, 15/08/2010

NEIL LENNON has launched a sensational bid to bring want-away Manchester City goalie Shay Given to Celtic.

The Bhoys are set to slug it out with Fulham to land the Republic of Ireland No 1 who lost his first team place to England's Joe Hart yesterday on the opening day of the English Premiership season.

City-boss Roberto Mancini ended weeks of speculation when he gave Hart the nod yesterday and relegated 34-year-old Given to the bench for City's crunch visit to Spurs.

Hart responded with a five star performance to cement his position as City's new No 1 and left Given in no doubt he must move to get regular first team football.

The Irish keeper has made it clear he would seek a move if he was forced to play second fiddle to Hart.

That prompted frantic activity from the Hoops, whose Chief Executive Peter Lawwell made contact with City chiefs to swiftly register his interest in Given.

The Hoops have been monitoring Given's plight for some time and see him as the answer to their goalkeeping headache after Lukasz Zaluska failed to fill the gloves after Artur Boruc's £2 million move to Fiorentina.

Ironically, Given was once binned by the Parkhead club when Lou Macari refused to agree to the youngster's request for a pay rise when he was Celtic's youth keeper.

That opened the door for Kenny Dalglish to snap up Given for Blackburn Rovers. But Lennon has been informed Given holds Macari solely responsible and would welcome a move back to his boyhood heroes.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger would love to take Given to the Emirates but knows City would never sell to a title rival. Wenger believes he has a better chance of landing Aussie Mark Schwarzer who wants Fulham to let him move to the Gunners.

Mark Hughes could give that transfer the green light if he can persuade City to sell Given to the Cottagers. But, Celtic are confident they can pull off the transfer coup of the summer by persuading City to loan them Given and Craig Bellamy!

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/907941/KEEP-G-OWEN-HARGREAVES.html

CARLO IS KING

CARLO ANCELOTTI'S side remain the most durable and their muscular approach is suited to a 38 game Premier League season, which is why they will retain the title.

Arsenal will flatter and then falter, ultimately finish third, with Manchester City sneaking into the top four.

Expect Everton to take advantage of Tottenham and Liverpool's European commitments to strike for fifth.

Fulham will continue to make good progress by winning the FA Cup and Arsenal, before their fans get on my case, will settle for the Carling Cup

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/908825/HUGHES-IS-HAPPY-TO-TAKE-STOCK.html

HUGHES IS HAPPY TO TAKE STOCK

Keeper voted man of the match

14/08/2010

FULHAM boss Mark Hughes hailed man-of-the-match David Stockdale for filling the void left by wantaway Mark Schwarzer.

The Australian keeper, who handed in a transfer request earlier in the week, sat out the draw with Bolton - and watched his deputy in inspired form.

Hughes said: "I thought David played really well and showed a lot of confidence.

"He has really impressed me so I had no qualms about throwing him in. He helped the rest of the back-four. We were organised and did what we needed to do to get a positive result.

"Mark was unable to play, as was Paul Konchesky. We gave them fitness tests this morning but they couldn't make the game.

"Nothing has moved regarding Mark's situation. We've had conversations and I understand he wants to take an opportunity - but he understands we have to protect our interests."

Bolton boss Owen Coyle believed it was a promising start to the new campaign, despite the stalemate.

He said: "I would have loved the three points and, at times, I thought we merited them. But there was a lot to be pleased about.

"I'm happy with the clean sheet and we just needed the cutting edge in the final third. I took it as a back-handed compliment that Fulham wanted to sit in and back off.

"Some of our play was fantastic. I thought Johan Elmander was outstanding - and so was their goalkeeper. I have always had faith in Elmander.

"He came with a big price tag and reputation and the only person who will change anyone's mind is Johan.

"I can try and help him and I've shown my faith by picking him. His general play was very good.

"I think generally we can sharpen up in the final third, but it wasn't easy today."

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/908178/SCHWARZER-SET-TO-BECOME-A-GUNNER.html

SCHWARZER SET TO BECOME A GUNNER

Keeper on the brink of move

By Martin Hardy, 14/08/2010

MARK SCHWARZER is on the brink of completing his dream move to Arsenal.

Crunch talks will take place on Monday with the Australian keeper set to end his two-year stay at Craven Cottage.

Schwarzer's advisors will meet with Fulham's top brass after weeks of moving the deal towards its conclusion.

That is likely to happen next week with the keeper's advisors confident they have convinced Fulham that he must be allowed to achieve his dream move at the age of 37.

Schwarzer will sign a two-year deal to join the Gunners with the fee still being haggled over.

Arsenal are expected to pay around £3million for a keeper whom Arsene Wenger has long admired and will signal the end of Manuel Almunia's inconsistent time at the club.

Schwarzer missed Fulham's opening-day clash at Bolton with a back injury.

It means his last competitive game for Fulham will have been the Europa Cup final defeat against Atletico Madrid and he can now look forward to stepping into the Champions League for the first time in his career.

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/908581/CITYS-HOPES-THREATENED-BY-INFIGHTING.html

CITY'S HOPES ARE THREATENED BY INFIGHTING

Mancini tells Given he can go

By Neil Ashton

SHAY GIVEN can leave Manchester City after he was axed in favour of England keeper Joe Hart.

Given is free to find another club after Roberto Mancini told the Republic of Ireland star he is no longer first choice.

Mancini is clearing the decks at City as he attempts to turn the team into title challengers.

Craig Bellamy has played his last game for the club and has been banished to the reserves after last week's outburst on international duty.

Bellamy was ordered to train with the second string on Friday after claiming Mancini never speaks to him.

Despite the club's massive spending over the summer, the Italian is struggling to keep a squad of superstars happy.

He has alienated a number of senior professionals at City and many remain unhappy with his coaching methods.

Some members of City's bulging squad have already objected to Mancini changing training at short notice.

City's players have received texts from backroom staff late at night telling them that the time of training had changed.

Other City players were also stunned during the build up to last week's friendly against Valencia when Mancini told Micah Richards he was not allowed to "laugh" in training.

Although City officials insist sessions are a serious business, the players have been surprised by Mancini's hardline approach.

Despite making Carlos Tevez captain yesterday, there remains a complete breakdown in communication between the pair.

Mancini's decision to give the captaincy to Tevez has been interpreted as an olive branch, but they are barely on speaking terms.

Tevez was furious when Mancini claimed that "if I can handle Bellamy and Tevez I can handle Balotelli" ahead of last week's friendly against Valencia.

Bellamy retaliated on international duty when he claimed the City chief has barely spoken to either player over the past few months.

City chief Garry Cook has told Bellamy his City career is over and has started negotiations with Celtic and Fulham.

They are reluctant to let him sign for a rival club at the top of the Premier League, but Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy made another enquiry yesterday.

Bellamy was City's best player last season, but Mancini is in no mood to bring him back into the first team picture.

Despite the immense summer spending, there is huge tension building between the coaching staff and some members of the team.

Senior City officials, including Cook and football administrator Brian Marwood, are well aware of the mood in the camp between many of the players and Mancini.

Many of them are Mark Hughes' loyalists, but they also believe that Mancini has not given them a chance under the new regime.

The situation became so desperate before the prestige friendly against Valencia that the players jokingly offered bets on when the manager would be sacked.

Some players openly discussed placing £1,000 each into a hat and then drawing a raffle to decide when Mancini would be axed.

One of the dressing room dissenters even suggested he would be gone on Nov 20, the day before they play Hughes' new team Fulham.

Although Mancini insists he has a united dressing room, he will face the wrath of Given this week.

The former Newcastle keeper was told he was axed from the team in favour of new England No1 Joe Hart on Friday night.

Given, 34, believed he had done enough for City last season to remain as the club's first choice keeper.

He is torn between the chance to stay and fight for his place or the opportunity to restart his career with Fulham.

Mark Schwarzer's move to Arsenal is expected to be completed this week and Hughes wants Given in goal at Craven Cottage.

Mancini insists Given can stay and fight for his place, but the City chief made it clear Hart is his No1.

He spent last season on loan at Birmingham and deserves his chance to become City's first choice keeper.

Mancini said: "I am happy to have two fantastic keepers. I had to make a decision and I am happy to make it.

"All of my players expect to play, but the goalkeeping position is different.

"We must speak with Shay because there are less than 20 days left in the transfer market.

"I hope that Shay decides to stay, but Joe Hart is the No1 keeper for now.

"I have spoken with Shay, but I don't know what he will do. He's an excellent professional, he doesn't agree with my decision, but I had to make it."

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/907926/THREE-BOSSES-MUST-HAVE-THEIR-SHAY.html

THREE BOSSES MUST HAVE THEIR SHAY

Given's position isn't in his own hands

By Garry Doyle, 14/08/2010

ARSENE WENGER has spent the last two weeks making enquiries about Shay Given after being alerted to the Irishman's unhappiness at Manchester City.

The star keeper was omitted from the City team which travelled to White Hart Lane and is due to have crunch talks about his future with boss Roberto Mancini on Monday.

Having never shown any patience for hanging around on the sidelines, Given is now set to put a gun to Mancini's head and tell him: Pick me or I'm off.

Given said: "It's important I play. I'm 34. If I don't, we'll see what happens after that. It's up to the manager."

Yet it is now up to THREE managers. While MANCINI can hold on to Given by restoring him to the starting XI, WENGER has the power to become a major player in this saga by making an immediate move.

In need of a top-class keeper after losing faith in Manuel Almunia, the Arsenal manager has strangely never shown much interest in Given before.

So much so that 18 months ago - when he was made aware of Given's desire to leave Newcastle - he ignored the information. Only Manchester City and Mark Hughes followed up by submitting a bid.

Now, interestingly, Fulham boss HUGHES may opt for Given in a loan move if the goalkeeping merry-go-round sees his current custodian, Mark Schwarzer, move to Arsenal instead.

While that eventuality would hardly inspire Given, it remains a preferred choice to spending any length of time as second fiddle to Hart.

Ambition
Given said: "I left Newcastle to win a medal. I've never won one in my career and was taken in by the ambition of City.

"The new owners and the players they've brought to the club since I've been there have made it a very exciting place.

"My aim is to win something before I retire. But I need to play, especially at the age I am at."

He isn't the only player in this boat. With so many new arrivals, dressing room morale has taken time to build and Given has warned Mancini about the pitfalls which lie ahead if he doesn't get the blend right.

He said: "While it's an exciting time to be a player or supporter at Man City, the fact is we've got to gel a team together.

"It's all well and good having some of the best players in the world but we need to make a team out of them and obviously do the talking on the pitch.

"The dressing room is fine. The new lads who turned up in the last week or two get on well with everyone.

"When you look around at the calibre of players there, it's special to have some of them as your team-mates.

"Some have big personalities but there is no real fuss, just a case of everyone getting their head down and planning ahead."

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/908301/BEGOVIC-IS-A-KEEPER-IN-DEMAND.html

BEGOVIC IS A KEEPER IN DEMAND

Blues bid for Bosnian

By Dan King

CHELSEA are considering whether to make an improved offer for Stoke goalkeeper Asmir Begovic.

But the Premier League champions could find themselves in competition with a number of other clubs if the keeper situation at Manchester City starts a transfer merry-go-round.

Stoke have already turned down a £4m bid from the Premier League champions for the Bosnia international and manager Tony Pulis has warned them off twice in the last week.

Chelsea director of football Frank Arnesen discussed the issue with owner Roman Abramovich when the Russian billionaire flew in last week to oversee the signing of Ramires.

Chelsea are unlikely to be the only club interested in Begovic, who joined Stoke from Portsmouth in January for £3.25million.

Shay Given has already warned he could seek a move from City after being left on the bench for the goalless draw at Tottenham.

City would look at Begovic, who qualifies as homegrown, as a second-string goalkeeper.

But he could also be offered first-team football elsewhere in the top flight. Fulham will be looking for a number one if Mark Schwarzer is granted his wish to join Arsenal. And West Ham, whose boss Avram Grant knows Begovic from his time at Fratton Park, will also be interested if they lose Robert Green, who has been touted as a replacement for Schwarzer at Fulham.

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/908262/KONCHESKY-AIMING-FOR-REDS-MOVE.html

KONCHESKY AIMING FOR REDS MOVE

By Chris Bascombe

PAUL KONCHESKY sat out Fulham's Premier League opener at Bolton as he looks to push through a £3million move to Liverpool.

The left-back travelled with the rest of the Londoners' squad but was a notable absentee from the side for the Reebok clash. He was not even named on the bench.

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson is keen for the former England defender to join him on Merseyside in a cut-price deal before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.

New Fulham chief Mark Hughes insists Konchesky, 29, is not for sale. But the player is understood to be unhappy at the club's stance.

He has only a year left on his current deal and wants to follow ex-Fulham boss Hodgson to Anfield.

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/908520/REDKNAPP-RULES-KING-OUT.html

REDKNAPP RULES KING OUT

Fulham favourites for Bellamy

14/08/2010

HARRY REDKNAPP ruled out Ledley King from Tuesday's Champions League clash with Young Boys of Berne.

King excelled for Spurs on Saturday, but his chronic knee condition means he will miss the trip to Switzerland.

Redknapp said: "Ledley's top class but he's not going to play Champions League football this week, it's impossible.

"We've got to juggle around a few areas, but we've got a good squad."

Redknapp is still looking to buy the three players he believes can turn Tottenham into title contenders. He has admitted defeat in his pursuit of Manchester City bad-boy Craig Bellamy but is hopeful he can sign free agent William Gallas.

Redknapp is convinced Bellamy is signing for Fulham. He said: "It's not going to happen, he's never going to come here on loan. He'll go somewhere and I would think Fulham are favourites now.

"I like Gallas as well, but we'll have to wait and see whether we can do anything.

"He's not asking for massive wages and his Arsenal connection doesn't bother me.

"If he comes here and plays and he's useless, he'll get slaughtered. If he comes here and plays great then he's a hero - that's football."

Redknapp's team were unlucky not to get off to a winning start after peppering City's goal in a one-sided first half.

He added: "You have some days when you play well and don't get a result. Joe Hart was fantastic. It was good for the English manager to be here because it shows he has a big future."

White Noise

Bolton 0-0 Fulham: Sunday Mirror match report

Published 23:00 14/08/10

By Derick Allsop

Anybody seeking a lift after England's dismal World Cup should look away now.

Two sides brimming with intent yet ­limited in ability provided an all-too familiar snapshot of the Premier League as ­witnessed by the majority of fans.

Bolton had chances to make a winning start, thanks mainly to the unlikely initiative of Johan Elmander.

He was denied by agile keeper David Stockdale, summoned to play in place of transfer-demanding Mark Schwarzer, who failed a ­fitness test.

And when Stockdale was comprehensively beaten, Stuart Holden's shot struck the foot of a post.

Fulham's new manager, Mark Hughes, will be among those who noted Shay Given's demotion at Manchester City earlier in the day, but Stockdale made a powerful claim for the job full-time.

Bolton ran out of ideas and were perhaps relieved they weren't undone by Fulham's belated flourish.

Elmander apart, no-one in white carried the threat to expose deficiencies in a ­Fulham side that seemed a mere shadow of last season's Europa League finalists.

Roy Hodgson has given Hughes a hard act to follow at The Cottage and the Welshman will rue the lost opportunity at Villa Park.

Craig Bellamy would add pace to the side, but those Continental heroics must be ­fading memories for the supporters who followed every step of the epic journey.

Bolton embarked on their 10th consecutive season in the Premier League with summer signing Martin Petrov on the left, while Robbie Blake had to watch from the bench.

Elmander was given a role off captain Kevin Davies and revelled in the freedom. He almost made the best of that space with an early shot.

Elmander hoped in vain for Petrov to cross into his path and the new man frustrated himself by failing to deliver.

Petrov made the connection he sought with a 25-yard half volley and Stockdale responded with a smart catch.

Bobby Zamora, buoyed by his England debut on Wednesday, demonstrated his self-belief with an audacious lob that only just cleared Bolton's bar as the stranded Jussi Jaaskelainen back-tracked.

Elmander won the ball and presented Stockdale with another test of his handling.

Jaaskelainen had a heart-stopping moment when Paul Robinson attempted a tricky back-header. The keeper smothered the ball and gave his left-back a rollicking.

Elmander resumed his assault on Stockdale's goal early in the second half with a neat spin and drive, only for the keeper to tip the ball away.

Again Elmander accepted the responsibility of taking on the Fulham defence in the 62nd minute and again Stockdale came to The Cottagers' rescue.

Even Stockdale couldn't get to Holden's effort, 11 minutes from the end, but the ball hit his near post and Fulham escaped once more.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Bolton-0-0-Fulham-Sunday-Mirror-match-report-David-Stockdale-makes-claim-for-Mark-Schwarzer-s-number-one-spot-article555221.html#ixzz0weLphkTB

White Noise

Wenger still looking for defensive option

Published 23:00 14/08/10

By Steve Stammers

Arsene Wenger has told his players it's time to end the ­five-year drought of trophies at ­Arsenal.

"Now it is our time to deliver," said Wenger ahead of their opener with Liverpool at Anfield this afternoon. Boss Wenger has defended his team's ­performances during the drought, insisting silverware will come when the players in a young squad ­mature with age and experience.

He's also had a tight ­budget while the £350million Emirates Stadium was financed.

Now the purse strings have been loosened. He's signed Marouane ­Chamakh and ­Laurent Koscielny and also wants goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer and either Phil ­Jagielka of Everton or ­German World Cup star Per ­Mertesacker of Werder Bremen to strengthen his central defensive options.

Wenger, who signed a new three-year contract yesterday, admitted: "We are short at the back and need to add.

"If we manage to do that we are better-equipped. But now we have more experience.

"The average age of our players is 23 to 24. They are real men now and the league is more open. It is time for us to deliver."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Arsene-Wenger-is-still-searching-for-defensive-recruits-and-says-it-s-time-for-Arsenal-to-deliver-a-trophy-article554697.html#ixzz0weMB46

White Noise

Money talks? Blackpool show it's not all about the cash you've spent

By Leo Spall

Last updated at 12:16 AM on 15th August 2010

It is enough to give all the smaller clubs in the country hope that they can make it in the big time.

As four goals rained in for the Premier League's poor relations Blackpool at Wigan without reply, Manchester City could not buy a successful strike at Tottenham.

Ambitious clubs with unlikely designs on making it into the top flight have been heralding the achievements of Ian Holloway's side since they were promoted from the Championship via the play-offs last season.

But if the first day of the Premier League campaign provides even the slightest indication of what is to come, with Blackpool spending a few proud hours at the top until the dark side pushed them into second by thrashing West Bromwich, club accountants will be reviewing their spending plans quicker than you can say oil-rich Arabs.

City's starting team at Tottenham, as the table above shows, came at a cost of more than £152million and they had £85m worth of talent on the bench to boot.

Despite that, they had to rely on the heroics on the cheapest signing in their line-up — £600,000 goalkeeper Joe Hart — to scrape a point from a goalless draw.

With their spending this summer breaking the £100m barrier, Roberto Mancini's starting side were comfortably more costly than every other club in the Premier League yesterday bar one.
Enlarge    Only the dark side came close, but most of their big spending came soon after Roman Abramovich took over in 2003 — and they are not suffering with the player disenchantment that City manager Mancini is.
Striker Craig Bellamy is already on his way out of the club after falling out of favour, while Mancini's decision to back Hart to earn his spurs has prompted yet more fall-out.
Shay Given, the man whose place England goalkeeper Hart has taken, left White Hart Lane with his City career apparently at an end.
Given had already said that he would seek a move if he was not Mancini's first-choice goalkeeper and last night declined to comment on his future.
City want him to stay but Mancini hinted he could be ready to listen to offers, with Celtic interested.
Fulham boss Mark Hughes, who signed Given for City, is being discouraged and the Scottish club are considered preferable at Eastlands because they are not direct competitors.
They may even be prepared to carry some of Given's £70,000-a-week wages if a loan is agreed.
Mancini said: 'We must speak. We have 17 days until the end of the market. I respect every decision, but I hope Shay stays and I hope there isn't an offer. I'm lucky because I have two fantastic goalkeepers. I had to take a decision and I'm sorry for one keeper. Today I chose Joe.
'Joe is No1 for now. I know Shay expects to be No1 and Joe is asking for it as well. I hope Shay stays here because we have four competitions.
'His reaction was normal. He didn't agree with me but he respects my decision. He is a big man and a big goalkeeper.'
It was all change at Blackpool, too, but Holloway has been battling with very different problems.
He threw three new players into his starting line-up after the club's lack of spending power made it a summer of struggle in the transfer market and, instead of financial rewards, will be relying on team spirit to keep his club buoyant.
'Hopefully we can make a difference to everybody's life in Blackpool,' he said. 'I had to play three of my new signings and they had literally just met each other. I am very proud of our boys.
'I will take a photograph of the table and then retire.
'It has been a horrible summer and I am quite worn out. This is quite a scary place to be.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1303221/Blackpool-money-youve-spent.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0weMZWwNh

White Noise

http://fulham.theoffside.com/team-news/fulham-0-0-bolton.html

Fulham 0-0 Bolton

By: timmyg | August 14th, 2010

With the season starting again, you know what's back? Guardian Chalkboards. Hooray!

The match on the left was today's performance. The one on the right was from 6 months ago. Notice a difference? It's subtle, but there.

What we saw today was something we hadn't seen in a long time on the road in the league: attacking intent. Sure, the match ended 0-0 and at times the match was a bit lethargic. And a majority of the crosses into the box, as seen above, were unsuccessful. But when compared to the match from this past February — one I completely forgot about until the TV announcers reminded me — it was two different performances despite a similar result. Also, notice how well Etuhu and Murphy controlled the center of midfield today compared to the previous match.

Perhaps it could be chalked up (no pun intended) to how we were without Gera, Zamora, Dempsey and Davies last time at the Reebok. But it was so delightful to see a Fulham side pressing and attacking on the road, especially when Clint Dempsey came on for Zoltan Gera. I'm pleased with the result, but Fulham could have easily warranted all three points.

Additionally, Fulham managed to keep a clean sheet without our starting 'keeper and left back. Although Zat Knight was named MotM, David Stockdale could have easily been bestowed such award. We all suspected the lad is a blue chip, but today further affirmed it.

I'm also quite pleased with today's result, considering our recent misfortune on opening day. Last year's 1-0 win over Pompey would signal our only victory on the road; but it came against a club without an owner and probably would have been a draw had it not been for Bobby's finely tuned ass. Who could forget losing it late against Hull the year prior (an omen perhaps?). Or the heartbreaking defeat to Arsenal in 2007 after taking the lead so early and holding on for dear life. Remember 2006? Yeah, that 5-1 thrashing by United. Or, my first match as a fan.

Sparky has been in charge for only 2 weeks, but I like what I'm seeing so far. Don't you?

Bolton: Jaaskelainen; Steinsson, Robinson, Cahill, Knight; Muamba (M. Davies 86), Holden, Lee Chung-Yong, Petrov (Taylor 86); Elmander (Klasnic 90), K. Davies. Subs not used: Bogdan, Ricketts, O'Brien.

Fulham: Stockdale; Pantsil, Kelly, Hughes, Hangeland; Etuhu, Murphy, Duff, Davies; Gera (Dempsey 74); Zamora. Subs not used: Zuberbuhler, Stoor, Baird, Greening, Riise, Elm.

White Noise

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/193331/David-Stockdale-rises-to-the-occasion/

DAVID STOCKDALE RISES TO THE OCCASION 

BOLTON 0 FULHAM 0

Sunday August 15,2010

By Sunday Express Reporter 

ALL the talk before kick-off surrounded one Fulham goalkeeper – after the final whistle it was all about another, David Stockdale.

Mark Schwarzer looked on from the bench as a move to Arsenal beckons, although a back injury was the official line for his absence. But his replacement Stockdale – making just his second Premier League appearance, 11 months after his last one – eased a few frowns by keeping Bolton, especially Johan Elmander, at bay with four crucial interventions.

Elmander did nothing wrong with any of his efforts, it was just one of those days for Stockdale, who deserved the luck when Stuart Holden's low drive 12 minutes from time bounced off the post. For Bolton this season has been billed as a brave new dawn. Chairman Phil Gartside proclaimed boss Owen Coyle could bring the good times back after the club became 'arrogant'.

Gone was the 4-5-1 system that fans grew tired of under Gary Megson. Fabio Capello may be described as behind the times for employing 4-4-2 but this is Wanderers' future. Of the close season signings only Martin Petrov started while Robbie Blake and Ivan Klasnic, signed permanently following a successful loan spell, were on the bench.

That was a vote of confi dence in misfiring record signing Elmander and, with Stockdale in goal, he had a chance to prove he can cut it. But Fulham's stand-in was a spectator for 18 minutes that hardly captured the imagination until he routinely collected Martin Petrov's fizzing 30-yard drive.

Until that point, there had hardly been a peep from Bobby Zamora after impressing in his midweek England debut. But Bolton had a warning when he evaded the off-side trap and easily lobbed Jussi Jaaskelainen, only to see the ball drift over the bar.

Elmander brought a save from Stockdale after robbing Dickson Etuhu but it was not good enough from Bolton, who looked awkward adapting to Coyle's new system. Coyle kept faith, though, and he was almost rewarded when Elmander turned well and fired towards Stockdale's top corner but the inspired stopper stuck out a palm and tipped it over.

SEARCH FOOTBALL for:     

Referee Stuart Attwell made some baffling decisions, but he was right in not awarding a penalty when Chung- Yong Lee went down under Danny Murphy's challenge. And his advantage allowed Elmander to surge through, but Stockdale came out bravely to deny him again. Holden went closest of all but Fulham still posed a threat. Jaaskelainen had to be at his best to palm substitute Clint Dempsey's effort away and Etuhu almost stole in.

Zamora may not have heard the end of this encounter, though, after appearing to grab Attwell's shirt as he queried a decision. He was booked but those antics are not welcome.

MAN of the MATCH: David Stockdale – The keeper could save Fulham a fortune in the transfer market.BOLTON: Jaaskelainen; Steinsson, Cahill, Knight, Robinson; Lee, Muamba (M Davies 85th), Holden, Petrov (Taylor 85th); Elmander (Klasnic 89th), K Davies.

FULHAM: Stockdale; Pantsil, Hangeland, Hughes, Kelly; S Davies, Etuhu, Murphy, Duff; Gera (Dempsey 74th); Zamora.Ref: S Attwell Att: 20,352

White Noise

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiffonline/cardiff-football/2010/08/15/cardiff-city-to-sign-craig-bellamy-91466-27067850/

Cardiff City to sign Craig Bellamy

Aug 15 2010

By Steve Tucker

breaking news

CARDIFF CITY  are set to sign Wales captain Craig Bellamy on a six-month loan deal from Manchester City.

Wales Online understands the final paperwork on the deal will be completeted tomorrow and Bellmay will then join up with his new teammates.

Manager Dave Jones will be making the 31-year-old striker his new captain at the club.

It is an amzing coup for Cardiff City with the likes of Tottenham, Fulham and Celtic all expressing an interest in taking Bellamy who was unsettled at Manchester City under boss Roberto Mancini.

See Monday's South Wales Echo and Western Mail for full reaction to the big story

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

just means he's gone into semi retirement he did say he was possibly thinking of quiting football all together :dft008: