watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham News 14/07/2016

Started by Friendsoffulham, July 14, 2016, 09:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Chelsea loanee to Fulham via Middlesbrough and ex-QPR target says why he joined Whites

Czech mate moves down the road from Stamford Bridge via Teesside on loan for Championship 2016-17 and makes bold prediction about Whites chances

He doesn't seem the flattering type - but Slavisa Jokanovic's courting of Chelsea's Tomas Kalas was the reason why the Czech defender has joined Fulham on a season-long loan.

Kalas will wear white for his fifth loan since moving to Stamford Bridge in 2010, and admitted his new club's head coach was key to the move.

Jokanovic turned on the charm, and Kalas was sold on life at the Cottage.

"He telling me he had followed me, and that was one of the reasons I joined," said the 23-year-old defender who can play centre or right-back, as he told the club's website. You can see the entire interview here.

"There was interest from Fulham - and they were really active and trying to call me and I could see the club really wanted me.

"It's the most important thing for me."

Kalas was on loan twice at Middlesbrough where he played a total 43 times over the last two seasons - mostly at right-back.

It was a reason why QPR looked at the possibility of a loan move in January.

He agrees he knows the Championship well, and believes promotion for Fulham could follow the same path as the one by the Riverside.

"No one expected Middlesbrough to be there in the (2014-15) play-offs, but they were. No one expects Fulham now - but why not?"

Asked to describe his qualities, Kalas believes that although he isn't the tallest defender, or the heaviest, he brings other assets to the Cottage table.

"I'm not six-five (tall) or 100 kilos, but I'm quite fast; I can jump and I'm aggressive," he added.

Friendsoffulham

Tomas Kalas joins Fulham on one-year loan from Chelsea

Chelsea defender Tomas Kalas has joined Fulham on a season-long loan, both clubs have announced.

Kalas was expected to secure a third spell at Middlesbrough after helping Aitor Karanka's men win promotion to the Premier League last season. And on Wednesday his agent Mithat Halis confirmed that Boro harboured an interest in signing the 23-year-old again.

But the Czech Republic international will now be staying in West London after agreeing a temporary move to Craven Cottage, where he will be managed by former Chelsea midfielder Slavisa Jokanovic.

"Fulham were really active, trying to reach me, calling me, and I was quite happy to see that interest," Kalas told Fulham's official website after the deal was announced. "I could really see that the club and the manager wants me."

Asked what his aspirations with Fulham are for this season, Kalas replied: "Hopefully promotion or at least the playoffs.

"When I was at Middlesbrough nobody expected us in the playoffs, and after the two seasons Fulham have had, no one expects them to be that high. But why not? After two bad seasons should come the better one."

Kalas joined Chelsea from Sigma Olomouc in July 2010 and made his Premier League debut in April 2014, playing the full 90 minutes and impressing as the Blues derailed Liverpool's title charge with a dramatic 2-0 win at Anfield.

But the 23-year-old has since played all of his first-team football on loan at Cologne and Middlesbrough, and missed out on selection for the Czech Republic squad that exited at the group stage of Euro 2016.

Friendsoffulham

The Craven Corner: Kalas signs but will Ross stay?

Fulham blogger, Adam Brons-Smith reviews the signing of Tomas Kalas and discusses Ross McCormack's future.

On the 30th June, many Fulham fans were wondering and panicking about the 'lack' of transfer business, but just a fortnight later - many cannot wait for the season to start after the club announced the signing of Tomas Kalas on a season-long loan deal.

There was plenty of interest in the Chelsea defender, with Middlesbrough fighting for his signature once again as they prepare for life in the Premier League, but Fulham's interest and Jokanovic's admiration of the player was enough to persuade the Czech defender to sign a year long deal.

Over the last 18 months, Kalas has played his football at Middlesbrough securing promotion with at the Riverside Stadium last season. During his time at Middlesbrough, the young defender has been reviewed numerous times and is tipped to have an incredibly bright future. Being more than capable of playing as a center back as well as a right back, Kalas brings a commanding aura to a shaky backline at Fulham. Should Kalas partner Michael Madl next season in the heart of the defence, clean sheets shouldn't be so difficult to secure with both players able to cover ground incredibly quickly as well as being natural ball playing defenders.

What is clear from the recruitment plans this summer is that Jokanovic wants every player to be more than comfortable with the ball at their feet, to maximise the intensity of his high-press, possession style football. Since Jokanovic started rebuilding the squad this has been at the heart of every transfer, adding pace and much needed technical ability in a variety of positions.

With Ale Faurlin tipped for a move, this philosophy only continues to be highlighted. Despite the Argentine midfielder struggling with match fitness, his distribution and ability to remain calm under pressure is priceless in the center of the pitch, and the thought of him teaming up with the likes of Thomas Cairney, Sone Aluko & Floyd Ayite should get any Fulham fan excited.

But, while there is the good news of Tomas Kalas signing at the club, more reports continue to surface regarding the long-term future of Ross McCormack. The Scot turns 30 in just over a month, and while he has single- handedly kept Fulham in the Championship for the past two years, the forward could be set for a transfer to Norwich if you believe the latest set of reports. Should Ross depart, I feel there is no reason for the fans to be angry, as a £13m transfer for a 30 year old would prove strong business and while his goals and assists would be tough to replace, Ross's reliance on having a strike partner does limit Slavisa Jokanovic options in terms of formation and shape. Then again, I can't see Ross McCormack leaving this summer, especially after the Scot signed a new deal just a few months ago, and while he hasn't featured in Pre-Season heavily, it must be remembered that our Vice-Captain has just got married, so probably isn't in the best of shape to begin with.

On the other hand, should Super Ross leave Craven Cottage for £13m this summer, a change in system could get the best from the likes of Sone Aluko, Floyd Ayite, Thomas Cairney, Matt Smith & Cauley Woodrow and therefore Ross McCormack's contribution would be shared amongst a few faces. Not only that, but if Jokanovic can continue the defensive improvements, then our reliance on Ross's goals would not be so important. With Slavisa Jokanovic favouring 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 in Pre-Season maybe the Serbian is experimenting should our talismanic forward decide to move on.

Finally, reports continue to surface surrounding the future of Jazz Richards with a swap deal expected to go through for Cardiff City left-back, Scott Malone. As mentioned in the previous post, Malone isn't a world beater, but it's only fair to rate the defender on his appearances in a Fulham shirt and while Richards has had a tough time at Fulham, a fresh start for both defenders could be what is needed. With Denis Odoi expected to be announced sooner rather than later, Fulham could line up with a nearly unrecognisable starting eleven for their Pre-Season fixture against Crystal Palace on the 30th July.

Crystal Palace will no doubt be a tough test for Jokanovic's men, but with improvements being made in all parts of the field, anything is possible this season. While, I urge fans not to get too optimistic and remind themselves that promotion is a long-term goal and not an immediate one - we must support the club as it begins to make baby-steps to reaching its goal of one day returning to the Premier League.

Friendsoffulham

Cottage Talk: Fulham In Ireland

Take a listen to the radio show that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

In this episode, we talked to Brendan Cronin who is a Fulham supporter in Ireland, and he shared what he observed from watching all three matches in Ireland.

We also had breaking news during the recording as it was announced that Fulham had signed Centre-Back Tomas Kalas on a season long loan from Chelsea. We shared our thoughts on this signing for Fulham.

Lastly, just a heads up that we had some audio issues with the connection for Brendan in Ireland. However, I think you will really apreciate his thoughts on these three matches.

Listen here: http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2016/7/13/12177042/cottage-talk-fulham-in-ireland

Friendsoffulham

Kalas: Promotion The Aim

New signing Tomas Kalas reveals that Fulham's desire to bring him in convinced him it was the correct move, and sees no reason why they can't fight for promotion from the Championship in 2016/17.

Friendsoffulham

AS CARDIFF CITY SIGN A NEW PLAYER/ANOTHER ONE LEAVES CITY

Cardiff City's Scott Malone has passed his medical at Fulham and terms have been agreed with both clubs, just going through the final parts of the deal which now depends on Fulham's Jazz Richards passing his medical at Cardiff City.

Its believed its a straight swop between Cardiff City's Scott Malone and Fulham's Jazz Richards.

Cardiff City's new manager instrumented this deal.

Friendsoffulham

Kalas Joins On Loan

The Club is delighted to announce the signing of Tomas Kalas on a season long loan deal from Chelsea.

A centre-back who can also operate on the right, Kalas spent the previous 18 months on loan with Middlesbrough, playing 47 times as they reached the Championship Play-Off Final in 2014/15, before winning promotion as runners-up behind Burnley last season.

The 23-year-old began his career at his hometown club Sigma Olomouc, joining Chelsea for a reported £5.2m in the summer of 2010.

After two seasons on loan at Dutch outfit Vitesse Arnhem, during which time he was named Czech Republic Young Player of the Year, he made his debut for his parent club in a 2-0 League Cup win at Arsenal in October 2013.

His Premier League debut and first start for Chelsea came at Anfield later that season, with Kalas impressing at the heart of defence as the Blues won 2-0.

Ahead of the 2014/15 season he moved on loan to FC Cologne in Germany, but he joined Boro in a similar deal midway through the campaign.

Having represented the Czech Republic at every youth level from Under-17 to Under-21, Kalas also has a number of caps for the senior side, making his debut in November 2012 against local rivals Slovakia.

Friendsoffulham

Norwich in for McCormack?

Norwich in for McCormack?
What's being said in the forum now? Click to join the Vital Fulham forum!
Losing Moussa Dembele was a huge blow to Fulham Football Club but if the club were to lose Ross McCormack as well, that would be almost too much to get over.

But the more I contemplate losing McCormack, the more I`m convinced it is going to happen.

As far as speculation goes, I`m beginning to believe there is no smoke without fire.

Today it would appear another club has stepped forward to try and persuade Fulham to part with their Scottish international striker.

Gracing the pages of the72co.uk, Click Here,but gleaned from the sports pages of the Sun, is that Norwich are set to try and tempt Ross to Carrow Road to sample the delights Norfolk has to offer.

Our referenced source is championing the suggestion that Norwich City are set to make a bid in the region of £13 million for the striker.

Last season, despite it being what some might call a woeful campaign for Fulham; McCormack scored 21 goals, making him the second highest scorer in the Championship.

Whilst accepting that McCormack`s departure is inevitable, I can`t help but feel if he is sold to a fellow Championship side we`re making a huge mistake, McCormack is a Premier League player and deserves to show what he can do in the top flight.

toshes mate

I suspect the McCormack situation will run until he is transferred out of deadline day passes, and so it could to be a tough time for supporters if they concentrate on one outcome or the other rather than just accept what will be.  Ross has been an asset every time he has scored critical goals but, as has been mentioned in astute  commentary within these very forums, that isn't the whole story, and we tend not to look at downsides when a player is recording a high tally of goals.  I watched Jimmy Greaves play for Chelsea and heard the massive dissent there was when he finally moved on, but there is life after a player goes, whoever that player is.   I hope McCormack stays with the Fulham renaissance of 2016/17 and after, but if he goes then so be it, we will still have reason to thank him for his contributions, and the boss will find a way to prove any storm can have a silver lining.