watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Aluko relishing playing in the number 10 role

Started by Lighthouse, August 01, 2016, 11:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Fulham new boy Sone Aluko is relishing the chance to play in his favoured position as number 10 under Slavisa Jokanovic this season.

The Hounslow-born summer signing from Hull City played as a frontman during a spell at Rangers in 2011/12, scoring 12 league goals in just 19 starts, but clearly sees himself as a more creative influence sitting in behind a lone striker.

Aluko featured as the Cottagers' rounded up their pre-season schedule against Crystal Palace on Saturday and, speaking after the 3-1 win, he told GetWestLondon that the head coach's plans for him were a key factor in his decision to make the move down south.

He said: "One of the reasons I came here is because he (Jokanovic) wanted to play me in what I call my natural position.

"That suits my game, and in pre-season I think that has shown – I've been gelling with the strikers and the midfield; we've got a good understanding.

"It doesn't have to be number 10 – that's the position the manager wants me to play but some games I'll play wide, some games I'll play through the middle; I'm flexible."

Sone Aluko scores against Crystal Palace

The Nigerian international gave the Whites a half-time lead against Palace; rounding Julian Speroni after a mix-up in the visitors' defence and explained his relief at breaking his duck on his home debut.

He added: "First goal at Craven Cottage and the first time I've played here in a Fulham shirt. I suppose it was nice to get a goal at home quickly because it settles you down."

His arrival in SW6 marks his southernmost venture to date, but Aluko says he has encountered no troubles adapting to London living and can't wait for the season to get underway.

"Obviously I was born down here so it's good to be back down South, visiting family but I've enjoyed it – the boys have been very welcoming and the staff have been great with me so it's so far so good.

"This season I just want to play as many games as I can. Last season I didn't play anywhere near as many games as I wished when I was fit – I feel in good shape now.

"I can't be any happier with how pre-season's gone – I've scored, got a couple of assists and hopefully I can take that into the season."
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

MJG

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: MJG on August 01, 2016, 11:35:08 AM
I'll ask....where would Ross fit in?

Norfolk?  :005:

Lighthouse

Quote from: MJG on August 01, 2016, 11:35:08 AM
I'll ask....where would Ross fit in?

You can almost hear the prompting when he goes onto say 'It doesn't have to be number 10......'
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

PaulJ123

What formation are we using then if he's playing number 10, thought he'd be used as a winger more than anything.

Jamie88

Quote from: PaulJ123 on August 01, 2016, 04:49:34 PM
What formation are we using then if he's playing number 10, thought he'd be used as a winger more than anything.

Don't be silly, we need the wings to be utilised by central midfielders who don't like playing there

fulhamben

Quote from: Jamie88 on August 01, 2016, 06:54:00 PM
Quote from: PaulJ123 on August 01, 2016, 04:49:34 PM

Don't be silly, we need the wings to be utilised by central midfielders who don't like playing there
it's down as a 4411 on the offal for the last game
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on August 01, 2016, 07:05:22 PM
A week ago the one (and only, IMO) thing we'd really improved this summer was actually having two decent wingers, with george williams and ryan fredericks hopefully providing ayite and aluko some competition for those places

williams now gone

fredericks now having an op

aluko now playing up front

090.gif
If you don't think odoi is an upgrade then there really is no hope for you.we looked good with this formation with the players doing really well in the positions they were given. Recruits will come

filham

The real test starts on Friday night, if we can put in a performance and score a couple of goals then we will start to have belief in our new players. Wonderful if they can come good right at the beginning of the season against the favourites for promotion.

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on August 01, 2016, 07:25:33 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on August 01, 2016, 07:11:23 PM
A week ago the one (and only, IMO) thing we'd really improved this summer was actually having two decent wingers, with george williams and ryan fredericks hopefully providing ayite and aluko some competition for those places

williams now gone

090.gif
If you don't think odoi is an upgrade then there really is no hope for you.we looked good with this formation with the players doing really well in the positions they were given. Recruits will come

We've had this discussion before. We had Stafylidis who's now good enough for a mid table bundesliga team, amorebieta who was good enough for Middlesbrough, and husband who was just plain good. Even ream is a perfectly good left back if he can stick to defending, which he would be able to do in any normal team with a left winger in front of him. Left back is literally the only position where we've had half decent players over the last two years.

Just out of interest, what are you basing your view of odoi on? The 12 minute palace highlights on the offal? Surely not because he got toasted by Zaha repeatedly.
I'll ask you a question first. Why are you reeling off the names of left backs who were poor for us as a response to a player who has mainly played right back for us. Why not say odoi is poor compared to van den say too. Big whoop if those players done well at other clubs. Its what they did for us that counts and staffy and amore were toilet. Husband was good, but I'm still not sure odoi will go to left back as it would mean sticking a cb at rb to cover.

fulhamben

Oh yes and I was at the palace game and he was one of our top players. Was you there? I doubt it if you think staffy and amore are better

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on August 01, 2016, 07:42:05 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on August 01, 2016, 07:30:19 PM

williams now gone

090.gif

We've had this discussion before. We had Stafylidis who's now good enough for a mid table bundesliga team, amorebieta who was good enough for Middlesbrough, and husband who was just plain good. Even ream is a perfectly good left back if he can stick to defending, which he would be able to do in any normal team with a left winger in front of him. Left back is literally the only position where we've had half decent players over the last two years.

Just out of interest, what are you basing your view of odoi on? The 12 minute palace highlights on the offal? Surely not because he got toasted by Zaha repeatedly.
I'll ask you a question first. Why are you reeling off the names of left backs who were poor for us as a response to a player who has mainly played right back for us. Why not say odoi is poor compared to van den say too. Big whoop if those players done well at other clubs. Its what they did for us that counts and staffy and amore were toilet. Husband was good, but I'm still not sure odoi will go to left back as it would mean sticking a cb at rb to cover.
Last time we had this argument you said you wanted Fred at right back and odoi at right back that's why  fp.gif
Not that it makes any difference cos i can just reel off a list of competent right backs if you prefer... Fredericks Madl Kalas
Now answer my question, what are you basing your view of odoi on ? I presume it's not that he looked good for his last club in that YouTube video, not if your mantra is "Big whoop if those players done well at other clubs. Its what they did for us that counts"
fredericks is having an op so not in contention. And sticking a cb at right back will destroy the balance of the team. It would force cairney to play wider or loose all our width down the right flank. You can be negative all you want. I think things are shapping up nicely. Oh and I imagine that every full back in the prem will get skinned by Zaha and townsend on a couple of occasions. Do you honestly belive that odoi looked poor against palace?

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on August 01, 2016, 07:52:42 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on August 01, 2016, 07:47:20 PM
Quote from: Statto on August 01, 2016, 07:42:05 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on August 01, 2016, 07:30:19 PM

williams now gone

090.gif

Last time we had this argument you said you wanted Fred at right back and odoi at right back that's why  fp.gif
Not that it makes any difference cos i can just reel off a list of competent right backs if you prefer... Fredericks Madl Kalas
Now answer my question, what are you basing your view of odoi on ? I presume it's not that he looked good for his last club in that YouTube video, not if your mantra is "Big whoop if those players done well at other clubs. Its what they did for us that counts"
fredericks is having an op so not in contention. And sticking a cb at right back will destroy the balance of the team. It would force cairney to play wider or loose all our width down the right flank. You can be negative all you want. I think things are shapping up nicely. Oh and I imagine that every full back in the prem will get skinned by Zaha and townsend on a couple of occasions. Do you honestly belive that odoi looked poor against palace?

wasn't there but I don't generally base views about players (positive or negative) on one pre season friendly anyway
he has played well in all his appearances. And I'll bet you a few pints that by the end of August, you will come on here and say, yes this boy is quality. As I said in another thread, it's been a long time since I've been excited by a defender. He will be a huge fan favourite imo

Bronaldinho

It's interesting to see how Aluko will fill that role should McCormack do a U-Turn on his deal on Norwich. Obviously, it looks like McCormack is going but in the off chance he did stay, I would like to see how McCormack would adapt to this new system Jokanovic has implemented.

I covered Aluko in the latest article of 'The Craven Corner'.

If you are interested in reading, please go to the following site: thecravencorner.wordpress.com
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com