watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

so where can we actually strengthen

Started by fulhamben, July 31, 2016, 10:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhamben

im not talking about squad fillers but actual first team additions that would make us better. ok it goes without saying that a striker is a must but where else could or should be strengthened....     if you take yesterdays team for example 
                                                                            joronen
odoi                                            kalas                                              madl                               sess
                                             mcdonald                                            tunni
              cairney                                              alunko                                          aylite
                                                                       smith

think betts or button will replace joronen and doubt smith will start so where are we actually weaker. tunnicliffe maybe? although i thought he had a decent game yesterday and was on fantastic form before his injury last year.  another possible for the chop could be sess due to his age and inexperience but he looks ready to me. so when slavisa says he needs 4 or 5 good players does he mean for back up or has identified weakness in some areas that i just dont see.  who is out there that could make this 11 stronger? who would you want to come in for the weak areas.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

FulhamStu

Very good question.  No1 Central striker, quick and good in the air.  No2. Central defender, big and strong, good in the air, allowing Kalas to move to right back.  No3. Central midfield upgrade on Tunnicliffe/Parker/LVC. No4. Fast wide player backup to Ayite,Aluno.

That's about it for me, maybe another striker if when we sell Ross.

fulhamben

Quote from: FulhamStu on July 31, 2016, 10:37:56 AM
Very good question.  No1 Central striker, quick and good in the air.  No2. Central defender, big and strong, good in the air, allowing Kalas to move to right back.  No3. Central midfield upgrade on Tunnicliffe/Parker/LVC. No4. Fast wide player backup to Ayite,Aluno.

so you dont like odoi at rb?

FulhamStu

Quote from: fulhamben on July 31, 2016, 10:40:23 AM

Love him, but see him as our left back.  Kalas as righ back.  Saying that if young Session plays like yesterday, happy days.  Just think a full season at left back will be too much to ask for Sess.

fulhamben

Quote from: FulhamStu on July 31, 2016, 10:47:29 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on July 31, 2016, 10:40:23 AM

Love him, but see him as our left back.  Kalas as righ back.  Saying that if young Session plays like yesterday, happy days.  Just think a full season at left back will be too much to ask for Sess.
personally think we will lose a lot of balance if kalas goes to rb. i know he has played there a lot, but cant see him getting over the half way line much if he does play there, reducing our width considerably

toshes mate

Very good question.  No1 Central striker, quick and good in the air. 

That I would subscribe to given the width and pace we now have.  I'd like to see a steadying influence in central midfield, a really good passer of the ball, and someone who can tackle too.  I think the key to who Slavisa has on his shopping list, and who the Club hopefully buys, is the adaptability of the players he has already, and those he wants.  The team looks promising as it is and I think our head coach has already demonstrated he is a wiser person than all three of his predecessors were put together.   Let's see how the McCormack situation improves options, one way or another.

fcfulham55

Sent from my Nokia 3310

Classic94

If pre-season is anything to go by, Slav sees Kalas as a CB and a CB only. Fredericks, Odoi, Stearman, Sessegnon, Edun.. have all been preferred. The Kalas/Madl axis may lack height but the early signs are good and surely worth persisting with for now. I see CM, RW + ST as bigger priorities. McDonald requires a robust, defensive-minded partner, competition is needed for Ayite/Aluko and a strong central striker with an eye for goal is an absolute necessity.

Button

Sessegnon  Madl  Kalas  Odoi

McDonald  ?

Ayite  Cairney  Aluko

?

JPCL

How and why are we still playing cairney on the right? needs to be number 10 for me. Think we need a winger, a central midfielder and a striker all which need to start. Then could do with a couple of squad players to give us some depth.

fulhamben

Quote from: JPCL on July 31, 2016, 11:49:34 AM
How and why are we still playing cairney on the right? needs to be number 10 for me. Think we need a winger, a central midfielder and a striker all which need to start. Then could do with a couple of squad players to give us some depth.
he was more tucked in, but mainly due to odoi getting up and down the pitch

fulhamben

Quote from: JPCL on July 31, 2016, 11:49:34 AM
and who would you drop for the winger?

WolverineFFC

1) A better version of Tunnicliffe/Parker. They are both backups to me. Good to have in the squad but the club should not be counting on them in the best 11.

2) An out and out #9, especially if Ross goes. I don't think the player has to be a star, but the club is lacking up front. Smith, Woodrow, Aluko are not enough.

3) I think the club would like to add another starting FB, but I believe there is enough cover with Sess, Malone, Ream, Stearman, Fred, Madl, and Kalas to avoid adding just another body. Personally, I would like to see Sessegnon start 15-20 games.

Sure, the club could improve depth and quality everywhere, but these 3 spots are insufficient for a full season.

millsy

Don't understand some of the posts suggesting weakness in all areas etc. I agree with Wolverine that someone with younger legs to do the Scotty Parker job, so that he can be used more sparingly. I don't feel Tunnicliffe is really able to contribute fully at the level required.

Also agree that another out and out striker is needed, assuming Ross is moving on. Other than these I feel we're in decent shape but need a handful more of similar quality to enable us to cope with injuries, suspensions, loss of form etc.

I've liked what I've seen on highlights and heard from reports of tour friendliest and v impressed with all the new boys on the pitch yesterday, particularly Young Sessignon but also Aluko, Kals, McDonald and Akyte. Madl was almost impeccable and Cairney seemed to relish the playmaker role, given the speed and movement around him.

Keeper did well and Matt Smith did what he does, winning most of his headers but not really a threat on the ground.both decent squad players, as with Tunni, in my view. LVC looked a bit more like his old self but track record suggests may not be too durable. Add to these, Ream, Stearman and Woody and I think we have a sound squad but as our coach says, we are ready for Friday but not for the competition. Clearly he means we have enough fit men of required ability right now but we need more of same to compete over a long hard season. Thank god we have someone in charge who knows what he's doing!

dannyboi-ffc

Button
?          Kalas.              Madl.          Odoi

McDonald.           ?

Aluko.             Cairney.               Ayite

?

Left backs we are sorted, Odoi reckons he prefers the left and we have Sess, Malone and worse case Ream to cover. Fredericks is proving that his injuries make him a liability and he is an impact sub. Grimmer isnt good enough, he got chances and did OK but I don't think he is adequate cover.

Striker is obvious, someone who's an all rounder would be ideal with pace. Bamford seems a realistic option.

A midfielder to partner McDonald but be the work horse. A better version of Tunnicliffe or Ince basically. The likes of Tunni, Lvc, Parker are great to have but I think we need a bit more quality as a starter.

That's 3, think we need another winger as we only have 2. But not necessarily a starter.

Think another centre half is needed if Stearman leaves, but I think Madl and Kalas are a good partnership and Ream/Stears are good enough backup.

Another striker depending on whether Smith and Ross leave.

Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

river phoenix

I would be happy with Kara Mbodj (a tall centre-back, can also play defensive mid) and Nemanja Nikolic (a clinical striker). Add to that another striker on loan (James Wilson, can also play on the wing) plus Eddy Silvestre who looks like a done deal and that would be a nice, balanced team.

_______________________Button______________________

________________Kalas___________Madl________________

Odoi_______________________________________Sessegnon

____________________________Kara___________________

__________________McDonald_________________________

__________________________Cairney___________________

_______Aluko_____________________________Ayite______

______________________Nikolic_______________________

MJG

Goalkeeper
left or right back (allowing Odoi to play one or the other)
A more natural left sided CB
Right sided winger/attacker
Stronger pacy striker

Rudolph

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on July 31, 2016, 04:47:43 PM
                         Button
?          Kalas.              Madl.          Odoi

McDonald.           ?

Aluko.             Cairney.               Ayite

?

Left backs we are sorted, Odoi reckons he prefers the left and we have Sess, Malone and worse case Ream to cover. Fredericks is proving that his injuries make him a liability and he is an impact sub. Grimmer isnt good enough, he got chances and did OK but I don't think he is adequate cover.

Striker is obvious, someone who's an all rounder would be ideal with pace. Bamford seems a realistic option.

A midfielder to partner McDonald but be the work horse. A better version of Tunnicliffe or Ince basically. The likes of Tunni, Lvc, Parker are great to have but I think we need a bit more quality as a starter.

That's 3, think we need another winger as we only have 2. But not necessarily a starter.

Think another centre half is needed if Stearman leaves, but I think Madl and Kalas are a good partnership and Ream/Stears are good enough backup.

Another striker depending on whether Smith and Ross leave.

Tunnicliffe and Bamford would be an interesting proposition given their past.

Porthogs FC

Quote from: MJG on August 01, 2016, 09:35:00 AM
Goalkeeper
left or right back (allowing Odoi to play one or the other)
A more natural left sided CB
Right sided winger/attacker
Stronger pacy striker
Like all this but would like to hear your thoughts on another goalkeeper. Do you think both Jorenen and Betts go on loan?