watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff 18.08.10

Started by os5889, August 17, 2010, 10:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/17/manchester-city-james-milner-stephen-ireland

James Milner £26m transfer completes Manchester City's bonanza summer
• Deal goes through after Stephen Ireland agrees payoff
• Bellamy leads exodus with Given and Robinho follow

A remarkable day of transfer business, even by the modern-day standards of Manchester City, concluded tonight with James Milner finally checking in from Aston Villa, Stephen Ireland going in the opposite direction in return, and Craig Bellamy dropping down a division to join Cardiff City on a season-long loan.

On the day that English football's most powerful spenders paraded Mario Balotelli, the £22.5m signing from Internazionale, the manager, Roberto Mancini, said he would not stand in Shay Given's way if he wants to leave Eastlands now that Joe Hart has been established as City's first-choice goalkeeper.

Roque Santa Cruz has also been formally removed from the 25-man squad submitted to Uefa for Thursday's Europa League qualifier against Timisoara, his place going to Balotelli so that the 20-year-old Italian can make his debut.

Milner's first appearance in the most expensively assembled squad in the Premier League will come against Liverpool on Monday evening. The England international travelled to Manchester this afternoon after City finally reached a compromise over the payoff for Ireland that was holding up the deal.

Ireland will receive around half of the £2m he was holding out for. He was at Villa's training ground to meet his new team-mates as the £8m makeweight in a £26m player-plus-cash exchange. Both players have already agreed personal terms and an official announcement will be made tomorrow, on the condition that they both pass a routine medical examination.

The signing of Milner comes after a three-month pursuit, revealed by the Guardian in May, that has indirectly led to Martin O'Neill's resignation as Villa's manager because of his dissatisfaction about the amount of money the club's owner, Randy Lerner, was willing to free up for new players.

Milner, Villa's player of the year, is likely to be the final arrival of another summer of extensive incomings and outgoings at City, with Balotelli, Yaya Touré, Jérôme Boateng, Aleksandar Kolarov and David Silva also being added to the squad at a total cost of £126m.

At the same time, Mancini seems intent on phasing out the players signed by his predecessor, Mark Hughes, with Santa Cruz and Given both in line to leave before the transfer window closes on 1 September.

City are negotiating with at least two clubs about a possible move for Robinho, with Besiktas established as one of the potential buyers even though reports in Turkey of a delegation flying to England are premature.

Robinho, citing fatigue after the World Cup and the conclusion of the domestic Brazilian season, has been training alone in City's gymnasium since returning from his six-month loan arrangement with Santos last week, and he, like Given, has informed the club he wants to leave.

Given, the Republic of Ireland international, confirmed as much during a brief meeting with Mancini yesterday and is a target for Hughes now the former City manager is in charge at Fulham.

The proposal is for Given to move to Craven Cottage on loan and, in turn, their goalkeeper, Mark Schwarzer, would be allowed to join Arsenal, where he is wanted to replace Manuel Almunia. Other clubs, however, are interested in Given, described by Mancini last season as being among the top five keepers in the world.

"I hope Shay can stay with us but I respect whatever his decision is," Mancini said this afternoon. "I hope he stays as we are involved in four competitions and we need a strong squad but we will respect it if he wants to leave, and I cannot change his decision."

Fulham, using agents as intermediaries, have also contacted City about Santa Cruz but it is a measure of how far the Paraguayan striker's stock has fallen on the back of an injury-wrecked first season in Manchester that, as yet, there have been no formal bids for the former Blackburn Rovers player.

As for Bellamy, he has been looking for a new club since the breakdown of his relationship with Mancini, but his move to Cardiff represents a considerable surprise given that the Wales international captain had the chance to join Celtic as well as several Premier League clubs, including Sunderland, Fulham and Everton. Tottenham Hotspur were also interested but City ruled that out on the grounds they did not want to sell to one of their competitors for the Champions League places.

City are waiting for the results of tests to ascertain the seriousness of the ankle injury that Kolarov aggravated during Saturday's goalless draw at Tottenham. He and Boateng, who missed the trip to White Hart Lane with a knee problem, were unable to train today, and that could mean a recall for Joleon Lescott, possibly as left-back.

os5889

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/08/17/2075405/ajax-boss-martin-jol-turns-down-aston-villa-job-ronald-koeman-on-

Ajax boss Martin Jol turns down Aston Villa job, Ronald Koeman 'on a list' to replace Martin O'Neill
Second Premier League snub from Jol...

Aston Villa's search for a new manager rumbles on, but it won't include Ajax boss Martin Jol, who has ruled himself out of a move.

The former Spurs boss, who snubbed a move to Fulham last month, told Dutch paper Algemeen Dagblad that he wanted to stay as Ajax boss and lead them to the Dutch title.

"I want to play in the Champions League with Ajax and become champions of the Netherlands. So Villa have to wait therefore," he said.

Goal.com UK revealed last week that the Villa Park board had approached Jol for the position.

Meanwhile, former AZ boss Ronald Koeman has revealed that he is on a shortlist of managers to take over from Martin O'Neill who sensationally quit Villa Park last week, but hasn't had the call yet.

"I'm interested in the position of manager from Villa," he told NOS. "I know that I'm on the list of them. I don't know how many more candidates are on that list. But I haven't had contact yet with Villa."

os5889

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100818/SPORT/708179890/1004

Bellamy heads for home

Craig Bellamy's eventful season-long loan move to the Championship side Cardiff City was confirmed by Manchester City yesterday, putting an end to a pre-season 31-year-old Wales striker's threat to quit the game altogether.

The writing has been on the wall for Bellamy at City since manager Roberto Mancini announced that he would not be in his 25-man Premier League squad. The Welshman claimed he had not spoken to his Italian coach for six months.

"I feel strongly that I can offer something at the club," Bellamy had said before Mancini's decision. "But if I don't get in the 25-man squad, I don't know what I will do. I might finish, full stop, or look at every option I get."

However, the Wales captain, 31, agreed to drop down a division and sign for his home town club.

An earlier sticking point to the deal was Bellamy's reported £90,000-a-week (Dh522,000) wages. Dave Jones, the Cardiff manager, admitted on Saturday that the club would not be able to afford the striker's full salary, but it is likely the two clubs agreed a compromise which will see City pay a significant part of Bellamy's wages, reportedly around £70,000.

Tottenham Hotspur, Sunderland and Fulham were all linked with Bellamy but it is understood City did not want the striker joining one of their Premier League rivals.
Bellamy told yesterday's press conference that he had no hard feelings towards Mancini.

"Nothing's difficult about this," he said. "I had the greatest time at Manchester City at a great period in their history. The next couple of years I'm sure they'll get the Premier League title, and I hope they do."

Bellamy refused to comment on reports City would not allow him to join a rival Premier League club but praised Mancini.

"There's no ill feeling," added the 31-year-old. "I hope he does well, he's a top manager."

The move represents a major coup for Cardiff, who missed out on promotion to the Premier League last season after they were beaten in last season's Championship play-off final by Blackpool.

Bellamy explained the chance to spend more time with his family was his primary motivation for joining Cardiff, and he does not expect to have it easy in the second tier.

"My wide and kids live here and I've spent the last six years travelling up and down the road," he said. "I left home at 15. I've always wanted to come back but I wanted to come back at the top of my game."

* Press Association

os5889

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/2718/editors-roundtable/2010/08/17/2075224/editors-roundtable-deciding-the-fate-of-some-americans

Editors' Roundtable: Deciding The Fate Of Some Americans Abroad
Is MLS the right option for some of the country's flailing stars?

Andrea Canales: What are the best destinations for American players still unsettled in their club situations?

Seth Vertelney: I'd like to see Jozy go to Besitkas.  If he can't get decent service from Guti and Quaresma, I don't know where he would.

Allen Ramsey: Personally, I think there is a nice chance here for Major League Soccer to bring some of these guys home. DaMarcus Beasley, Jay DeMerit, even Freddy Adu, those guys would be great for the league and could help out just about any team that could afford to pay their wages.

Shane Evans: I'm with Allen on that one. Would be great for the players to get their games up and give the league some much-needed homegrown talent.

Canales: But would it really help Benny Feilhaber to join the Revs, for example?

Ramsey: No.

Evans: But Freddy to LA would help him, I think.

Ramsey: For Benny and Jozy the goal should be finding a regular home in Europe.

Evans: At least Benny is in the US team and playing.

Canales: Would Freddy help LA, though?

Zac Lee Rigg: I doubt it. If they aren't plumbing for a world star to raise the profile of the league (Ronaldinho), another designated player doesn't make much sense. Unless, of course, Landon Donovan finds new employment.

Ramsey: Freddy might not help LA out too much, but honestly, he could help out most MLS teams.

Canales: Like the Rapids, for example.

Ramsey: Adu's a good player, a big name, and a guy who has proven that Europe might not be the answer for him right now. Why not come back to the USA, play for Colorado or Kansas City for a few year, make some money and actually play?

Vertelney: He would put some fans in the seats whereever he goes, so it'd be nice to see him play for a team like Colorado or Kansas City

Evans: Or the Union! Don't him and Mr. Nowak have a little history?

Vertelney: It seems like everybody realizes Adu needs to come back to MLS, except for him.  When he finally comes to that realization, it will be beneficial for all parties (him, the MLS team he goes to, US national team) involved.

Ramsey: For MLS, with all the new signings, it would be great to see some big name US guys coming back.  Look what Convey is doing. That should sell Beasley and Adu on coming home right there.

Luis Bueno: Beasley to MLS should have been the move, but at this point I'm not sure Beasley is interested in playing. Isn't he just hanging out on a beach somewhere?

Ramsey: Jay DeMerit may still get a nice job in England, but if not, bring him back, too.

Vertelney: I can't understand how a lower tier EPL team with a shoddy defense (hello Wigan) couldn't use a guy like DeMerit.

Ramsey: Can I throw out another name that needs to find a new place? How about Eddie Johnson?

Canales: I thought EJ had a good preseason with Fulham? Not so much, really?

Ramsey: He did, but if they bring in another striker, which they will I think, he'll be on the bench for the season. And when David Elm is chosen over you, things aren't going well.

Vertelney: He didn't make the 18 this weekend, probably not a great sign for him.

Canales: That's sucky for EJ. He's in his playing prime, but not playing.

Ramsey: I won't dive into the Fulham situation right now, but if EJ is looking for a home, MLS should be an option.  Of course, this all comes down to what Andrea wrote about the other day. MLS will have to pay these guys professional athlete money. Not school teacher money.

Canales: Are we too quick on the 'come home' part, though? Could USA players give Belgium, Holland, or Mexico a try, if they can't make the big leagues in Europe?

Evans: Could be. There are always tons of clubs in Europe that will take on players that we're discussing. Just gotta be out there looking for them.

Canales: I'd like to see more USA players go to France. It's worked out well for Boca.

Vertelney: I'd like to see an American in Russia. Just cause.

Ramsey: It's a tricky situation for these guys, but at this point, the biggest factor is the money they can make in Europe.  Even in Holland and Belgium, where the leagues are good, but not great, they'll make substantially more. But the flip side is that in MLS, they're back in the public eye and the eyes of US Soccer. For EJ and Freddy, that could be a huge factor.

os5889

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/arsenal-given-boost-in-chase-for-keeper

Arsenal Given boost in chase for keeper

Shay Given has been told he can leave Manchester City if he wants

Roberto Mancini I will respect his decision if he wants to leave

Arsenal have been encouraged in the race for Shay Given after Roberto Mancini admitted he would allow the stopper to leave Manchester City if he wishes.

Both of City's keepers, Given and Joe Hart, have threatened to walk out if they are not No.1 this season – and Hart seems to have got the call after keeping Tottenham at bay on Saturday.

Arsene Wenger is looking for a new first choice stopper, as he has concerns over Manuel Almunia and Lukas Fabianski after some high-profile blunders from the duo.

He has already offered for Fulham's Mark Schwarzer, who wants to move to the Emirates, but he is likely to be a shot term option with the option of becoming a coach when he finishes his playing career.

Another possibility for Given would be Fulham – if Schwarzer decides to make the switch – although Robert Green would be another option for Mark Hughes.

Mancini said: "I hope that he can stay because we are in four competitions this season, but I will respect his decision if he wants to leave."

And Given has intimated he would be willing to move for first team football: "I haven't joined Manchester City to sit on the bench or whatever. I've gone there to play."

os5889

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/liverpool-linked-with-former-west-ham-defender

Liverpool linked with former West Ham defender

Liverpool - Paul Konchesky still on Anfield radar

GMF The News of the World reports that Hodgson is keen on a cut-price deal before the transfer window shuts

Liverpool are being linked with a move for English full back Paul Konchesky.

The 29-year-old defender could be the subject of a £3 million move from the Anfield club, with new Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson keen to bring his former player to Merseyside.

Konchesky began his career at Charlton, making his debut as a teenager in 1999. His eight year career at the Valley included a brief loan spell at Spurs, but the left-sided defender joined West Ham United in 2005.

After two years with the Hammers, Konchesky moved to current club Fulham for a fee reportedly in the region of £3.25 million. He has since made 96 Premier League appearances for the Cottagers.

At international level, Konchesky has featured twice for England, making his debut in 2003 and featuring against Argentina in 2005. Both caps came under the reign of Swede Sven-Goran Erikkson.

The defender was left out of Fulham's side for the opening fixture of the season amid reports that the Reds were closing on a move, and the News of the World reports that Hodgson is keen on a cut-price deal before the transfer window shuts.

Mark Hughes is keen to keep the player at Craven Cottage despite leaving him out of the squad at the Reebok stadium, but with only a year left on his contract Fulham may be forced to negotiate if Konchesky wants to follow his former manager north.

os5889

http://www.potomacsoccerwire.com/news/460/12344

A look back at U.S. soccer star Clint Dempsey's greatest goals [VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS]
17 Aug, 2010

The United States Men's National Team has experienced a promising rejuvenation ever since an extremely disappointing showing at the 2006 World Cup in Germany. A come-from-behind victory in the 2007 Gold Cup over arch-rival Mexico, the move of many players to European clubs, a stunning 2-0 victory over world number one Spain that led to a finals appearance at the 2009 Confederations Cup, and a knock-out stage run earlier this summer in South Africa all signify the ascension of United States soccer out of mediocrity and into the upper echelon of world soccer powers.

Clint Dempsey has been a regular in the United States starting lineup ever since he scored our country's lone goal in Germany a little over four years ago. The tough-as-nails midfielder from humble beginnings in Nacogdoches, Texas has also enjoyed success for London-based EPL club Fulham.

"Deuce", as Dempsey has become nicknamed over the years, struggled to find a regular spot in Fulham's lineup in his first year with the club in 2006/07, but managed to score one of the clubs most memorable goals in the dying minutes of a 1-0 victory over Liverpool that saved his team from relegation.

The next season, Dempsey was Fulham's leading scorer in the EPL, and has developed quite the reputation for being capable of spectacular goals. This past season, Dempsey's long volley against Stoke City and chip shot against Juventus in the second leg of a round of 16 Europa League contest have become etched in Fulham legend.

Clint Dempsey is quite clearly one of the best soccer players the United States has ever produced and has earned himself and United States soccer in general great respect all over the world.

Here are videos of his famous goals against Liverpool, Stoke City and Juventus, as well as a rap music video "Deuce" made in 2006. Good thing he stuck with soccer.

Clint Dempsey Wonder Goals: Which is better?

Clint Dempsey. Fulham v Liverpool

DON'T TREAD

os5889

West Brom set to sign Lokomotiv Moscow striker and battle for Villa midfielder

West Brom are set to sign Lokomotiv Moscow striker Peter Odemwingie but face a battle for Steve Sidwell.

The Baggies have agreed to buy Odemwingie, 29, for £2.5million on a three-year deal.

And Albion are also very interested in Villa midfielder Sidwell after taking Nicky Shorey from their neighbours last week.

The former Chelsea star was lined up for a £2m switch to Fulham earlier this summer.

But the deal was aborted when boss Roy Hodgson quit for Liverpool.

Villa are still willing to cash in on Sidwell, 27, to get his £48,000-a-week salary off their wage bill.

But Villa are reluctant to sell another star to their Midland rivals and Sidwell would prefer to run his contract down as he will be a Bosman next summer.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-West-Brom-set-to-sign-Lokomotiv-Moscow-striker-Peter-Odemwingie-and-battle-for-Aston-Villa-midfielder-Steve-Sidwell-article556997.html#ixzz0wtzCXR3x

os5889

Hodgson to make £3m bid for former Fulham full-back

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson is closing in on a cut-price £3m deal for Paul Konchesky.

Hodgson is ready to raid his former club for the 29-year-old left back who only has one year left on his contract at Fulham.

Konchesky missed Fulham's opener at Bolton last Saturday and is believed to be keen on following his former manager to Anfield.

Hodgson is having to wheel and deal on limited funds and a move for his old trusted left back would represent good business in his eyes.

Liverpool were forced to play Danish centre half Daniel Agger out of position at left back against Arsenal on Sunday because they are short in that position.

Emiliano Insua is surplus to requirements and a move to Fiorentina fell through last month while the club have re-signed Fabio Aurelio.

But that has not ended Liverpool's interest in Konchesky as Hodgson remains a big admirer of a player he made a mainstay of his defence at Fulham.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-News-Liverpool-manager-Roy-Hodgson-to-bid-3m-for-Fulham-left-back-Paul-Konchesky-article557159.html#ixzz0wuAqWvc0

os5889

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1303960/Manchester-City-pay-Craig-Bellamy-2-5m-join-Cardiff-City.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Manchester City pay Craig Bellamy £2.5m to join Cardiff

Manchester City will pay £2.5million to wash their hands of Craig Bellamy - and they have told axed keeper Shay Given he can go, too.
As City took their summer spending to around £126m by completing their protracted £26m move for James Milner, Bellamy sealed his shock season-long loan to Championship club Cardiff.
The controversial Wales striker, 31, will continue to earn the £85,000 a week he was paid at City and Sportsmail understands his new club will pay only around £35,000 of that, leaving the Premier League big spenders to pick up the £50,000 weekly shortfall.
Done deal: Craig Bellamy was presented at Cardiff City on Tuesday
City's generosity shows how keen manager Roberto Mancini was to remove Bellamy from his playing staff, but he was equally determined not to allow him to join a Premier League rival.
The City manager made it clear he feels differently about the Republic of Ireland's Given, who is weighing up his future after losing his place in the team to Joe Hart.
Given has been offered a two-year contract extension but Mancini said he would 'respect' the 34-year-old's decision if he asks to leave.
On his way? Mancini won't stop Given from leaving
'I can say that I hope he will stay with us,' said Mancini. 'But I accept his position. I hope that he can stay with us because we have four competitions. But I respect his wishes if he wants to leave.'
Despite Mancini's comments, official permission to speak to other clubs has not been granted and the only firm interest has come from Fulham, where Mark Hughes is keen to link up with the keeper he signed for City.
But Given does not seem keen on a move to Craven Cottage and, if clubs like Arsenal remain silent, he may yet choose to stay at City until January.
Milner, meanwhile, was in Manchester last night to complete his medical and will join City in a deal which will see Aston Villa receive Stephen Ireland - rated at about £10m - and a further £16m. Ireland will receive a pay-off from City of £1m.
'Milner's a good player, he can play in different positions,' said Mancini before wishing Bellamy well in his loan move to Cardiff. 'I'm happy for Craig,' he added. 'I hope he has a fantastic season.'
Cardiff pulled off their coup with the help of Malaysian backers Vincent Tan and Dato Chan Tien Ghee, who offered extra support to allow the club to exceed their £20,000-aweek wage ceiling.
But rival Championship clubs were left questioning the fairness of City's £50,000-a-week 'gift' to Cardiff after the two clubs signed a confidentiality clause preventing details of the deal becoming public.
Bellamy did not want a wage drop, especially as it might hit his charitable foundation in Sierra Leone.
Cardiff chief executive Gethin Jenkins said: 'I can't go into details but an agreement has been reached with Manchester City and we're grateful for all they have done to make this happen for us and Craig. Our Malaysian investors have been fully supportive in this.'
City unveiled Italian striker Mario Balotelli yesterday and confirmed he would be in the squad for tomorrow's Europa League tie against FC Timisoara, in place of Roque Santa Cruz, who is likely to leav.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1303960/Manchester-City-pay-Craig-Bellamy-2-5m-join-Cardiff-City.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz0wuBTiYkU

os5889

Fulham - Away Day Blues

I can't say I was shocked when the final whistle blew at the Reebok Stadium on Saturday and we applauded yet another 0-0 draw.

A point, of course, is not a bad return from a strong Bolton side by any stretch of the imagination, yet, the journey home smelt fondly of continuity and the need for an upturn in our form away from the Cottage was never resolved.

Hope still stands, however, that the appointment of Mark Hughes will spark more positive results from our away days, and, as much as a bore draw up North may seem to dispel those dreams, a deeper look offers a more upbeat outlook.

Roy Hodgson was an organisational expert. Given half the chance, I'm sure he would have jumped at the opportunity to snatch a point from every away Premier League game we played last term. Whilst it was a foolproof plan that did help is climb the league, be it slowly, it never really provided the Fulham faithful the buzz that is needed to boost our numbers.

We are, it seems, a club that is renowned for a poor away contingent, as much as I despise to say it.

Lots of factors come into this of course, but I'm sure the expectancy of a drab draw or a less-than-entertaining defeat play a part in the decision of watching Match of the Day or taking in the real thing.

Déjà vu may well have kicked in with regards to the result, but snippets of the game, such as the attacking threat we posed in the closing 10 minutes, have hopefully proven that Hughes is more than willing to take a risk on his travels and reward what was, as I felt, quite a healthy following in Lancashire.

He gladly withheld the integrity at the back which helped guide us to a Europa League final only 3 months ago, but Sparky clearly encouraged a more fluid attacking game from the boys.

Whilst no reward came in the final third, given a couple of signings (and some easier teams to break down) we could well be on for a decent year with regards to playing away from the banks of the Thames.

Here's to Mark Hughes and here's to a good year to come!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=209672#ixzz0wuJ7WCl4

Tom

Quote from: os5889 on August 17, 2010, 10:24:53 PM
http://www.potomacsoccerwire.com/news/460/12344

A look back at U.S. soccer star Clint Dempsey's greatest goals [VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS]
17 Aug, 2010

The United States Men's National Team has experienced a promising rejuvenation ever since an extremely disappointing showing at the 2006 World Cup in Germany. A come-from-behind victory in the 2007 Gold Cup over arch-rival Mexico, the move of many players to European clubs, a stunning 2-0 victory over world number one Spain that led to a finals appearance at the 2009 Confederations Cup, and a knock-out stage run earlier this summer in South Africa all signify the ascension of United States soccer out of mediocrity and into the upper echelon of world soccer powers.

Clint Dempsey has been a regular in the United States starting lineup ever since he scored our country's lone goal in Germany a little over four years ago. The tough-as-nails midfielder from humble beginnings in Nacogdoches, Texas has also enjoyed success for London-based EPL club Fulham.

"Deuce", as Dempsey has become nicknamed over the years, struggled to find a regular spot in Fulham's lineup in his first year with the club in 2006/07, but managed to score one of the clubs most memorable goals in the dying minutes of a 1-0 victory over Liverpool that saved his team from relegation.

The next season, Dempsey was Fulham's leading scorer in the EPL, and has developed quite the reputation for being capable of spectacular goals. This past season, Dempsey's long volley against Stoke City and chip shot against Juventus in the second leg of a round of 16 Europa League contest have become etched in Fulham legend.

Clint Dempsey is quite clearly one of the best soccer players the United States has ever produced and has earned himself and United States soccer in general great respect all over the world.

Here are videos of his famous goals against Liverpool, Stoke City and Juventus, as well as a rap music video "Deuce" made in 2006. Good thing he stuck with soccer.

Clint Dempsey Wonder Goals: Which is better?

Clint Dempsey. Fulham v Liverpool

DON'T TREAD
Deuce is the man!
Fulham for life!

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/riise-enjoying-first-weeks-under-new-fulham-gaffer-hughes-1052991?
Riise enjoying first weeks under new Fulham gaffer Hughes

Bjorn Helge Riise is confident he can find a way into Fulham boss Mark Hughes's first team plans.

The Norway winger has enjoyed Hughes' training sessions since his arrival.

"I love the training sessions, the first impressions are very good; they suit my style. I'm used to that from Norway so for me it's pretty good," Riise told fulhamfc.com.

"Everybody wants to play every game but from my point of view I hope I'm going to get more chances to prove myself. Hopefully I can do well in training and if I get the possibility to play for the First Team I have to take it.

"We still play the same formation but we have more freedom attacking-wise, the Manager wants us to get more tempo offensively – that also suits me very well. We have Simon Davies, Damien Duff who can do things so I think the team is going to adapt very well."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/dembele_signs_contract_and_will_move_to_fulham_547246/index.shtml
Dembele Signs Contract And Will Move To Fulham

According to reports, the AZ Alkmaar striker, Moussa Dembele, has signed a contract and is moving to Fulham.

The 23-year-old has supposedly signed a four year contract and it is thought he will be presented as the newest player of Fulham on Wednesday.

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6317984/Wenger-can-t-afford-not-to-sign-Schwarzer
Wenger can't afford not to sign Schwarzer

TEAMtalk's Ian Watson claims Arsenal's failure to sign Mark Schwarzer has already proved costly, and urges Arsene Wenger to get the deal done.

The opening weekend of the Premier League season only really reinforced the obvious truths we already know. Didier Drogba is useful in front of goal, Paul Scholes can pass and Arsenal need a new goalkeeper. And quick.

Arsene Wenger's young side have been tipped by many - including me - to come of age this season, but the Gunners can forget any hope of winning the title unless they come up with the cash Fulham require to sanction the transfer of want-away keeper Mark Schwarzer.

Manuel Almunia was handed the gloves at Anfield on Sunday, and strangely the captain's armband, but his selection had more to do with the lack of a suitable alternative rather than anything the Spaniard brings to the role. Lukasz Fabianski had the opportunity to stake his claim for the number one spot at the back end of last season when Almunia finally paid the price for a series of costly mistakes, but the Pole let the opportunity slip so spectacularly through his butter-smeared grasp that it is highly unlikely he'll get another.

With his two first-choice stoppers looking incapable of stopping a pig in a ginnel, Wenger has been forced to accept the need to buy a goalkeeper, something he has been extremely loathe to do since the departure of Jens Lehmann.

The Arsenal manager believes the club's future number one is already on the books at The Emirates, with Wenger having hailed youngster Wojciech Szczæsny as a "future great, great goalkeeper". But the Gunners cannot wait for the 20-year-old Pole anymore than they can afford to rush his development. Wenger needs a stop-gap stopper immediately.

Luckily for Arsenal, Wenger's desire to sign Schwarzer seems to be matched by the Australian's desire to move across London from Fulham. But the delay in getting the deal done may well have cost the Gunners two precious points on Merseyside last weekend.

The only certain thing about Almunia's performance at Anfield is that his days are numbered. After flapping hopelessly at a couple of high balls in the first half, the Spaniard then allowed David Ngog's angled drive to sneak in at his near post, with Almunia slow to shift off his left leg, moving only after the French striker's shot had hit the roof of the net.

Comparatively, it was not the worst mistake he has ever made, but a mistake it remains, and that is what separates Almunia from the better of his Premier League peers; the ability to cut out costly errors or at least keep them to an absolute minimum.

That is where Schwarzer comes in. While the former Bradford and Middlesbrough keeper is not in the 'world class' category, he is a safe pair of hands who rarely makes a mistake.

Many have questioned the wisdom of buying a 38-year-old, but Schwarzer's advancing years are seen as a positive by Wenger. The Aussie has perhaps two years left in him, and will be much more willing to help with the development of Szczæsny, rather than look up upon the Pole as a rival, now or in the future.

Shay Given has been mentioned as a potential target after the Irishman was left in no uncertainty as to his number two status at Manchester City. Given though will fancy four more years before hanging up his gloves, which is too long to hold back Szczæsny. That matters little, however, as City will never sanction a move that would considerably strengthen one of their main title rivals.

Schwarzer also comes cheaper than Given, a fact that was never likely to be overlooked by the notoriously stingy Wenger, but the Gunners and Fulham are still around £1million apart in their valuation. That, though, is a sum of money Arsenal cannot afford not to spend if it means finally plugging their porous last line of defence.

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/2010-08-17/fulham-plotting-swoop-gudjohnsen-after-bellamy-snub
Fulham plotting swoop for Gudjohnsen after Bellamy snub

Mark Hughes has turned his attentions back to Eidur Gudjohnsen after losing out on Craig Bellamy.

Hughes, who worked with Bellamy as Wales, Blackburn and Manchester City manager, was keen on signing the Welshmen again.

But Bellamy has snubbed the chance to move to Craven Cottage and is now on the verge of a loan move to Championship side Cardiff.

Hughes wants to add some attacking options to his squad before the transfer window shuts and wants to take Icelandic striker Gudjohnsen, 31, on a season long loan deal.

Monaco insiders have confirmed to talkSPORT that Hughes has registered an interest in Gudjohnsen and that they expect a firm bid within the next few days.

The former Chelsea striker scored twice in 14 matches during a loan spell at Tottenham last season and is keen on a move back to London.

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/08/18/more-clues/?
More clues
Filed under: General — weltmeisterclaude @ 5:47 am

Interview with Bjorn Helge Riise on the official site.

We still play the same formation but we have more freedom attacking-wise, the Manager wants us to get more tempo offensively – that also suits me very well. We have Simon Davies, Damien Duff who can do things so I think the team is going to adapt very well.

Interesting...

Tom

Quote from: WhiteJC on August 18, 2010, 07:43:45 AM
http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/08/18/more-clues/?
More clues
Filed under: General — weltmeisterclaude @ 5:47 am

Interview with Bjorn Helge Riise on the official site.

We still play the same formation but we have more freedom attacking-wise, the Manager wants us to get more tempo offensively – that also suits me very well. We have Simon Davies, Damien Duff who can do things so I think the team is going to adapt very well.

Interesting...
Clues for what? I hope you aren't hinting that you think Dempsey is leaving. Dempsey is better than Davies hands down!
Fulham for life!

MrCheviot

Quote from: os5889 on August 17, 2010, 10:23:05 PM
Liverpool are being linked with a move for English full back Paul Konchesky.

The 29-year-old defender could be the subject of a £3 million move from the Anfield club, with new Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson keen to bring his former player to Merseyside.

Considering we can't sign a suitable replacement for twice that, I sincereley hope not.
"Zamora!! What About that? We have seen some brilliant football from Shakhtar Donetsk tonight, but nothing.. nothing quite as good as that!"

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/08/18/2075939/liverpool-to-make-3m-move-for-fulham-defender-paul-konchesky?
Liverpool To Make £3m Move For Fulham Defender Paul Konchesky - Report

Liverpool are believed to be interested in a £3 million deal to sign Fulham full-back Paul Konchesky.

The defender has only one year left on his current contract at Craven Cottage, and has thus been heavily linked with a move away from the club.

The Reds' requirement for a left-back is also believed to be one of the reasons behind a potential approach for the former West Ham United player.

Roy Hodgson, the new manager, is thought to consider Emiliano Insua as excess baggage. The young Argentine was on the verge of making a move to Fiorentina earlier in the summer, prior to the Italian club pulling out citing the player's demands as the cause.

And despite having re-signed Fabio Aurelio, the injury prone nature of the Brazilian set-piece specialist means that the gaffer has little cover for the left-back position.

In the meantime, The Mirror claims that Konchesky, who played no part in the recent game against Bolton Wanderers, wants to follow his former manager and join the ranks on Merseyside.