watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff 18.08.10

Started by os5889, August 17, 2010, 10:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/08/remember-the-old-days/?
Remember the old days?
by GATESY on AUGUST 18, 2010

I feel for newspaper writers. All that white blank space to fill. But what with? Thankfully this summer we've had the world cup and then the following witch trials to fill much of the column inches saving us from spurious lies, I mean well researched and cunningly uncovered transfer talks. Even though they have only had the last six weeks to crow bar in these fabrications the press at large seem to have run out of them and as such are becoming the printed equivalent of Dave. Yup, we're getting repeats of all our favorite transfer rumors!

The Daily Mirror is giving us a chance to relive those glory days of two weeks ago by giving us the Paul Konchesky  (who since the original airing of this story we have learnt Can Jet Ski) to Liverpool rumor. Even though at the very beginning of last month Roy said he wouldn't be raiding the banks of the Thames for players. The basis seems to be he didn't play last week at the Reebok and.. well that's about it.

The Mirror is big on nostalgia today apparently as it's also resurrected the Parker to Liverpool story, (didn't he sign a five year contract last week and didn't Bongo Dave say he wasn't being sold when Spuds tapped him up?) , which is a very old friend to the lazy journalist running out of time.

I guess now that the Bellamy saga is over with (at least from a transfer point of view) they have to write something, but I do worry for them about what they'll be able to cobble together come 1st September...

mrska

Hodgson is beginning to get on my nerves now...

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1304063/Roque-Santa-Cruz-wanted-West-Ham.html?
Roque Santa Cruz wanted by West Ham as Avram Grant eyes season loan for Manchester City striker

West Ham are hoping to sign Manchester City striker Roque Santa Cruz on loan for the season.

Boss Avram Grant is keen to pair the Paraguay international with Carlton Cole and the Hammers are willing to pay Santa Cruz's £75,000-a-week wages.

An Upton Park source said: 'The club want him on a 12-month loan with an option to buy next summer. We are keen to add a striker despite the financial restrictions.

'Had it not been for injuries, which have meant we cannot move players on at the moment, we might have tried to do a permanent deal.'

Mark Hughes signed Santa Cruz from Blackburn for £17.5million last summer and the Welshman, now in charge at Fulham, is keeping a close eye on the situation.

Santa Cruz's progress at Eastlands has been hampered by injury and he was left out of City's Europa League squad following the arrival of Mario Balotelli from Inter Milan.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1304063/Roque-Santa-Cruz-wanted-West-Ham.html?#ixzz0wwmIk9VZ

SmithyFFC

Quote from: mrska on August 18, 2010, 09:55:58 AM

To be fair Roy can't control the media.
FTID

mrska

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on August 18, 2010, 10:17:01 AM

I appreciate that..  but i thought he said he wouldn't make a raid for our players...

Abbotsbury White

I'm with Mrska on this one,RH did say he would not come back and take players,at the moment I'm indifferent to Roy,grateful for what he done saddened by the way he left, but if he does tap up our players I would regard that as out of order and start to dislike the man,hopefully it is media stirring.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

SmithyFFC

Quote from: mrska on August 18, 2010, 10:19:26 AM

I appreciate that..  but i thought he said he wouldn't make a raid for our players...

Were have you seen Roy say hes after Konch? Coz I haven't seen it. Its pure crap just written stirred up to fill up the sports pages, nothing to do with Roy.
FTID

mrska

To be fair i haven't..  but if it isnt true.. then everybody's happy.. and Roy goes back up in my estimation a little

WhiteJC

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/838340-arsenal-must-replace-manuel-almunia-with-mark-schwarzer-david-seaman?
Arsenal 'must replace Manuel Almunia with Mark Schwarzer' - David Seaman
David Seaman has backed Arsene Wenger's pursuit of Mark Schwarzer, saying the Fulham goalkeeper's signing would finally bring some stability to Arsenal's defence.

Wenger, who has struggled to find a consistently reliable keeper since Seaman left the club in 2003, is reportedly on the verge of completing a £2.5million deal for Schwarzer after targeting him all summer.

And former England No.1 Seaman believes the 37-year-old would be a crucial presence at the back after high-profile errors by Manuel Almunia and Lukasz Fabianski derailed the club's Champions League and Premier League title hopes at the end of last season.

Seaman said: 'Both Almunia and Fabianski did not end the season well. They both made mistakes in high-profile games that effectively cost them the chance of some silverware.

'It means if the quality of someone like Mark Schwarzer becomes available, then Arsene needs to look at him. He is a great player, tried and tested and can make saves that win you games. He is a world-class goalkeeper.'

Seaman ended his career at Manchester City in 2004 and he is ­impressed with their latest man between the sticks, Joe Hart.
The 23-year-old made his full England debut last week in the 2-1 friendly win against Hungary and then saw off the challenge of Shay Given to start City's first Premier League game of the season at Tottenham.

Hart produced a stunning display to earn his side a 0-0 draw and Seaman is confident he can now be a mainstay for both club and country.

'Joe's had one hell of a week,' he added.

'He looks like he's been playing in the Premier League all his life. He looks the part and not nervous at all. He has a great future ahead of him.'

os5889

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/sunderland-afc/safc-news/2010/08/18/malbranque-sunderland-are-not-a-dirty-team-72703-27085928/2/

Malbranque: Sunderland are not a dirty team

STEED Malbranque insists Sunderland are not a dirty team - whatever the statistics may say.

The Black Cats finished bottom of the Premier League disciplinary table last season with a tally of nine red cards – the biggest total in the 18-year history of the Premier League – and 82 yellows.

Sunderland's final game of last season at Wolves saw Michael Turner and Jack Colback sent off and the new campaign started in similar fashion, with newly-appointed skipper Lee Cattermole seeing red in the opening-day draw with Birmingham on Saturday.

But Cattermole's midfield colleague Malbranque says Sunderland do not deserve the 'dirty' tag.

"We are not a dirty team, even though the statistics last season showed we had the worst record because we had nine men sent off," said the former Fulham and Spurs man.

"Sometimes we were unlucky with some of the decisions.

"But we need to be a bit more intelligent. We need to learn that after a yellow card, you can't risk a bad challenge five minutes later."

Cattermole learned that lesson the hard way at the weekend, as he was dismissed for a second bookable offence a couple of minutes before half-time.

The combative former Middlesbrough man was shown a harsh yellow card by rookie referee Anthony Taylor for kicking the ball away after conceding a free-kick – a decision boss Steve Bruce took issue with, pointing out that Cattermole merely passed the ball to a Birmingham player.

But Taylor had little option but to show Cattermole another yellow for a clumsy challenge on Lee Bowyer, which saw the Sunderland man given his marching orders.

Malbranque said: "Straight after the game he knew that he had made a mistake.

"But the players – and the manager as well – have to stick by him."

Sunderland were winning 1-0 when Cattermole went off and, despite doubling their lead early in the second half, Birmingham came back to score twice in the final 12 minutes to snatch a point.

"We were very disappointed after the game," said Malbranque. "It was like a defeat.

"To be 2-0 up and then concede two late goals was very hard.

"We played for nearly 50 minutes with 10 men against 11, so perhaps a draw wasn't so bad but we were still disappointed.

"I think we played well in the first half, when it was still 11 against 11.

"When Lee was sent off, it changed the game, but sometimes these things happen in football."

Cattermole is now suspended for Saturday's trip to West Brom, as is vice-captain Turner, who completes his two-match ban following his sending-off on the final day of last season.

And that leaves Bruce needing to appoint a new 'skipper-for-a-day'. When Cattermole was sent off, Malbranque donned the armband – at least until he was substituted just after the hour – but the 30-year-old does not expect to captain the side at The Hawthorns.

"I wore the captain's armband when Lee went off but I don't think I will have it on Saturday," he said.

"John Mensah gave it to me as were talking about the new shape.

"I enjoyed wearing it, though – I was captain at Fulham."

Bruce has yet to decide who will lead the team out against the Baggies but, with club captain Bolo Zenden unlikely to start, centre-back Mensah – who skippered Ghana at the World Cup – is the likeliest candidate.

HatterDon

I appreciate that..  but i thought he said he wouldn't make a raid for our players...

Perspective is a bitch. Remember when last season ended that the hot rumor had Roy selling Konch to Birmingham City. As far as I know, Liverpool haven't inquired about any of our players since Roy left. Personally, I'm not believing ANY OF THIS.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/DembeleJoinsFulham.aspx?
Dembele Joins Fulham

Fulham Football Club has today confirmed the signing of 23 year old Moussa Dembele from AZ Alkmaar on an 3 year deal that will see the player at the club until the summer of 2013.

A creative, attacking player with plenty of pace, an eye for goal and a good range of passing, Moussa Dembele has been one of the Eredivisie's most exciting players in recent seasons.

Dembele started his professional career at Germinal Beerschot before moving to Willem II in 2005. Despite the Tilburg side enduring a difficult season and finishing in the lower half of the table, Dembele weighed in with an impressive nine goals.

His performances caught the attention of AZ Alkmaar and he joined Louis van Gaal's side in the summer of 2006. He scored six goals for AZ in his first season and followed that with a fine 07/08 campaign.

However it was his magnificent performances in Alkmaar's 2008/09 title-winning season, which saw Dembele provide a number of assists and score 10 goals that confirmed him as one of the Eredivisie's prime talents.

Dembele is also a regular in the Belgium national team.

Moussa Dembele said:

'I am very happy to join Fulham and look forward to training with the team to prepare for the first home game of the season. It has always been a dream to play in the Premier League and I will make sure that I make the most of this opportunity.

'I understand that Fulham has a strong squad, so I am prepared to work hard for the Manager and take my chance to impress him, and my teammates, when the opportunities arise.'

Mark Hughes commented:

'I'm glad that we have finalised the deal with Moussa Dembele and I would like to welcome him to the Club. It is important that we go into the season with some additions to the squad that will add strength and depth to enable us to compete at a consistently high level throughout the season.

'Moussa is strong and quick and will add another dimension to our attacking options, which is important for us. I look forward to working with him, and to hopefully, a few more additions before the window closes.'

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/DembeleJoinsFulham.aspx?#ixzz0wxvoNXPZ

SmithyFFC

Quote from: HatterDon on August 18, 2010, 01:58:46 PM

I appreciate that..  but i thought he said he wouldn't make a raid for our players...

Perspective is a bitch. Remember when last season ended that the hot rumor had Roy selling Konch to Birmingham City. As far as I know, Liverpool haven't inquired about any of our players since Roy left. Personally, I'm not believing ANY OF THIS.

Well said that man :045:
FTID

simplyfulham

Quote from: Tom on August 18, 2010, 07:49:37 AM
Quote from: WhiteJC on August 18, 2010, 07:43:45 AM
http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/08/18/more-clues/?
More clues
Filed under: General — weltmeisterclaude @ 5:47 am

Interview with Bjorn Helge Riise on the official site.

We still play the same formation but we have more freedom attacking-wise, the Manager wants us to get more tempo offensively – that also suits me very well. We have Simon Davies, Damien Duff who can do things so I think the team is going to adapt very well.

Interesting...
Clues for what? I hope you aren't hinting that you think Dempsey is leaving. Dempsey is better than Davies hands down!

Not sure everyone would agree with you there Tom. Davies has been incredible. He's got the best delivery in the side and has been the model of consistency over the last few years..

Tom

Quote from: simplyfulham on August 18, 2010, 07:35:50 PM
Quote from: Tom on August 18, 2010, 07:49:37 AM
Quote from: WhiteJC on August 18, 2010, 07:43:45 AM
http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/08/18/more-clues/?
More clues
Filed under: General — weltmeisterclaude @ 5:47 am

Interview with Bjorn Helge Riise on the official site.

We still play the same formation but we have more freedom attacking-wise, the Manager wants us to get more tempo offensively – that also suits me very well. We have Simon Davies, Damien Duff who can do things so I think the team is going to adapt very well.

Interesting...
Clues for what? I hope you aren't hinting that you think Dempsey is leaving. Dempsey is better than Davies hands down!

Not sure everyone would agree with you there Tom. Davies has been incredible. He's got the best delivery in the side and has been the model of consistency over the last few years..
That's totally fine. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. Dempsey gets paid more and there is a reason for that. You don't see other clubs coming after Davies. Don't get me wrong, Davies is a good player. Dempsey is just a better all around talent. The club also agrees with me since the players voted him the best skilled player on the team last year. The play of the team gets better when Dempsey is on the pitch.
Fulham for life!