watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Odoi

Started by The Rock, August 05, 2016, 09:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill2

Some great play between Odoi, Ayite and Cairney down the right, very slick passing.

Carborundum

He's a hit with me.  Nervy start but settled in well and had one or two flashes of brilliance.  What I also noticed was a happy-to-be-here enthusiasm that reminded me of John Pantsil.  If this guy really can play either flank, he's quite a find.

Lighthouse

Thought Malone deserves an honourable mention. Was a little concerned when he started but frankly was superb going forward and defending. So many MOM performances but it was nice to see a team turn up playing for Fulham and not a few strangers. Amazing what pace can do in a side that play to its strengths.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

west kowloon white

Oh god he's back.

Carborundum

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 05, 2016, 11:39:36 PM
Thought Malone deserves an honourable mention. Was a little concerned when he started but frankly was superb going forward and defending. So many MOM performances but it was nice to see a team turn up playing for Fulham and not a few strangers. Amazing what pace can do in a side that play to its strengths.
He does.  Strikes me as a confidence player and if that outing doesn't give him confidence, nothing will. 

dannyboi-ffc

I thought "here we go" when he pushed Perez on the edge of the box and he seems to go to sleep defensively at times. Having said that he got stronger and stronger as the game went on and he looks a brilliant signing.

The touch with his back was the best piece of skill I've ever seen live. People rave about Bergkamp flicking it round the corner vs Newcastle all those years ago. Sure that was incredible and finished with a goal but I thought what Odoi did was genius and not many would try it, especially a fullback.

Well played sir, well played all of them in fact.

COYW!
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Fulhamerica23

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 05, 2016, 11:50:55 PM
Quote from: Fulhamerica23 on August 05, 2016, 10:03:58 PM
Quote from: The Rock on August 05, 2016, 09:46:18 PM
MOTM for me. Breath of fresh air. Smith a close second. The cheeky ball off the back in the ~ 70th minute before beating 4 Newcastle players down the right side and maintaining possession was pure class. So far so good on him.

Feels like ages since we've had a proper winger as well.

Thought they were two of the worst to be honest. Odoi excellent late on, but was very average the first 60 minutes. Smith is just a touch too slow for my liking. Brilliant header, but it was just about the only one he won. If he's winning headers on a regular basis, he can be very useful, but he can't hold up play and he isn't any help on the break.

McDonald and Madl were class. Aluko and Ayite very good. Button solid. Malone good. Again, Odoi played brilliant the last 20 minutes or so, but suspect early on. Maybe some nerves/miscommunication, and for me, Smith, though getting the goal, shouldn't be starting. He's a player you throw on in the 75th when you need a goal.

If Smith had been thrown on in the 75th minute, Fulham would not have won, on this occasion it's a good job he started.

That's a pretty big what if, maybe we wouldn't have, maybe we would've, but Smith cannot be our preferred striker for the remainder of the season. He was below average today. Finished his open header so good on him, but for the other 93 minutes he was quite poor.

Carborundum

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on August 05, 2016, 11:57:05 PM
I thought "here we go" when he pushed Perez on the edge of the box and he seems to go to sleep defensively at times. Having said that he got stronger and stronger as the game went on and he looks a brilliant signing.

The touch with his back was the best piece of skill I've ever seen live. People rave about Bergkamp flicking it round the corner vs Newcastle all those years ago. Sure that was incredible and finished with a goal but I thought what Odoi did was genius and not many would try it, especially a fullback.

Well played sir, well played all of them in fact.

COYW!
Up there with the Berbatov trap, the Ruiz scoop, but not quite the Dempsey chip.

Think he also managed a nutmeg in the second half. 

tommy

Quote from: Milo on August 05, 2016, 10:53:25 PM
Oh god... I flicked onto this thread expecting someone to have seen the same game I saw and came away thinking Odoi and Tunnicliffe are our two weak links!

Completely disagree with this thread.

He was ball watching on a few occasions. He would slip up, then try to direct other players to cover him last minute (which unsurprisingly didn't happen!).

On the attack he looked nervous, unconfident. Would receive it hugging the touch line but pass it straight back inside...

When the pressure was off and we were winning, he had that Ronaldo-esque moment and a second later on I think that was pretty quick footed in beating the last man on the wing... But otherwise I'll be honest, I think he falls asleep in defence and is a liability.
You are a funny guy

cottage expat

Quote from: TheGreatGatsby on August 05, 2016, 10:14:32 PM
Don't think I can pick an individual MOM, team performed superbly. If I had to pick one person who really stood then I would say Ayite. When was the last time we had an attacking winger (playing wide), with pace, and who tracked back and defended like a demon!

+1

Barrett487

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 05, 2016, 11:39:36 PM

Totally agree... was surprised when Malone was taken off, thought his contribution was A+

Ream was lucky to have not been exposed.

Malone/Sessegnon  = great choice of left backs

FulhamCB

Thought that Odoi was quality going forward especially in the second half. He was out of position a few times defending though and had that suspect push on Perez. We looked a well organized side thanks to Slavisa. I would pick McDonald/Ayite/Madl as motm though. If we can sign a quality forward and some cover in midfield and a CB/LB we'll be in good shape. T

Barrett487

Quote from: FulhamCB on August 06, 2016, 01:19:52 AM
Thought that Odoi was quality going forward especially in the second half. He was out of position a few times defending though and had that suspect push on Perez. We looked a well organized side thanks to Slavisa. I would pick McDonald/Ayite/Madl as motm though. If we can sign a quality forward and some cover in midfield and a CB/LB we'll be in good shape. T

Nice first post

Welcome aboard

VamosFFC

Here's a better quality clip for anyone who wants to see Odoi turning Dummett with his back.

https://streamable.com/fcms

Finnegans Wake

Quote from: Milo on August 05, 2016, 10:53:25 PM
Oh god... I flicked onto this thread expecting someone to have seen the same game I saw and came away thinking Odoi and Tunnicliffe are our two weak links!

Completely disagree with this thread.

He was ball watching on a few occasions. He would slip up, then try to direct other players to cover him last minute (which unsurprisingly didn't happen!).

On the attack he looked nervous, unconfident. Would receive it hugging the touch line but pass it straight back inside...

When the pressure was off and we were winning, he had that Ronaldo-esque moment and a second later on I think that was pretty quick footed in beating the last man on the wing... But otherwise I'll be honest, I think he falls asleep in defence and is a liability.

You joking?

FulhamCB

Quote from: Barrett487 on August 06, 2016, 01:22:01 AM
Quote from: FulhamCB on August 06, 2016, 01:19:52 AM

Nice first post

Welcome aboard

Cheers! I was honestly slightly worried about Malone after hearing Cardiff fans call him "a complete waste of space" and saying "good riddance", but I think that he held his own. He was no-nonsense clearing balls out of the back and defended well. His service was not great at times but overall a pretty solid performance from one the players who I originally thought would be our worst signing/starter.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Fulhamerica23 on August 05, 2016, 10:17:51 PM
Quote from: The Rock on August 05, 2016, 10:13:24 PM
Quote from: Fulhamerica23 on August 05, 2016, 10:03:58 PM
Quote from: The Rock on August 05, 2016, 09:46:18 PM
MOTM for me. Breath of fresh air. Smith a close second. The cheeky ball off the back in the ~ 70th minute before beating 4 Newcastle players down the right side and maintaining possession was pure class. So far so good on him.

Feels like ages since we've had a proper winger as well.

Thought they were two of the worst to be honest. Odoi excellent late on, but was very average the first 60 minutes. Smith is just a touch too slow for my liking. Brilliant header, but it was just about the only one he won. If he's winning headers on a regular basis, he can be very useful, but he can't hold up play and he isn't any help on the break.

McDonald and Madl were class. Aluko and Ayite very good. Button solid. Malone good. Again, Odoi played brilliant the last 20 minutes or so, but suspect early on. Maybe some nerves/miscommunication, and for me, Smith, though getting the goal, shouldn't be starting. He's a player you throw on in the 75th when you need a goal.
[/b]

They were all great. It's hard to call the goal scorer and the one with the most flair on the pitch "the worst". Our play on both wings was very very good and defence solid to be fair.

Have them both at 6/10 for me. Tunni at 5/10 was lowest. People see games differently. Obviously, Smith got the goal which was vital, but I think his lack of pace didn't help a few counters.
[/b]
FFS don't be such a plonker !

We put out the best team we could considering our lack of personnel at the moment, against the so called red hot favourites.

We had a game plan and it worked.

We looked like a team at last (albeit with some work to do)

Be happy with the result, don't over analyse everything too much !

Snibbo

Quote from: VamosFFC on August 06, 2016, 01:22:07 AM
Here's a better quality clip for anyone who wants to see Odoi turning Dummett with his back.

https://streamable.com/fcms

Brilliant.  Thanks for that.

He'll be in the Ireland team in no time

Tonywa

Some very good performances throughout the team and congratulations to Smith for his perfectly-taken goal, though he continues not to do it for me. Hardly won a ball in the air and offers little on the ground. My man of the match was MacDonald. As we have seen with him at Wolves in recent visits to the Cottage he offers the sort of physical presence at the base of the midfield we have  not had for some years and is expert at rotating the ball, finding his colleagues and has a real eye for a pass. Little pace that I can see, but does his job extremely well.  As I said here after last week's friendly the whole lay-out and ethos of the team is so different from recent seasons and the injection of pace really critical.  It''s only one result, forty five games to go, but the side looks so well-drilled that I think we have reason to be at least cautiously optimistic. COYW!!