Main Menu

Murphy Warns Hughes Against Player Exodus

Started by White Noise, August 18, 2010, 11:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Murphy urges Fulham to tie down Arsenal and Liverpool targets

Published 23:00 18/08/10

By Mike Walters

Danny Murphy has warned new manager Mark Hughes to act fast on player contracts to avert an exodus at Fulham.

Up to seven members of the first-team squad Hughes inherited from Roy Hodgson at Craven Cottage have fewer than 12 months left on their deals.

Arsenal are expected to sign Aussie international goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer before the transfer window closes in a fortnight, while former England left-back Paul Konchesky is a target for Hodgson at Liverpool.

Skipper Murphy, 33, is among those who are running down the clock - and he has urged Hughes to make contract talks with the old guard a "priority" to prevent a break-up of Hodgson's Europa League heroes last season.

Murphy said: "Strangely enough, and I don't know why the club has let it happen, but seven or eight of the squad are into the last year of their contracts.

"I don't think that's particularly healthy, and not many clubs allow that to happen. I think it's important that we get it sorted as a club because it is difficult for players to be having a year left on their contracts.

"It's different for me because I'm a bit older and, when you reach my age, you start doing it year by year, but for a lot of the other lads it's an unsettling time - you have other clubs coming in for them and you worry about getting injured with only a year left on your contract.

"It's very unusual for a club to let that many players get to 12 months left, so I'm hoping they will start getting sorted as the weeks pass and hopefully the one Simon Davies signed this week will not be the only piece of good news on that front.

"New additions are all very well and good, but I think we need to get the players with a year left tied down and keep as many of the squad together as possible.

"Obviously when players do well they can move on to bigger and better things - I know Arsenal are chasing Schwarzer and Liverpool are after Konchesky - and I don't know whether we will be able to keep them, it's out of my hands.

"But you can't buy experience and you don't want to be losing key members of your squad."

Murphy, speaking at a launch for EA Sports' new FIFA 11 game released on October 1, revealed Hughes had treated him "brilliantly" since taking over at the Cottage last month.

Fulham opened their Premier League campaign with a 0-0 draw at Bolton on Saturday, Schwarzer sitting out the impasse with an alleged back injury while his deputy David Stockdale excelled.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-captain-Danny-Murphy-urges-contract-talks-for-Arsenal-and-Liverpool-transfer-targets-Mark-Schwarzer-and-Paul-Konchesky-article558149.html#ixzz0wzxH3h5a

Lighthouse

Murphy is like the kid in the corner with his hand up asking teacher if they remembered its lunch time.

' Miss Miss it is nearly break time, I don't mind because I brought sandwiches but Miss it is nearly break time Miss'

Just shut the break up and let Fulham do what they want to who they want. Maybe seeing Swart and Konk be in line for stupid fees has made them think twice about offering you another contract.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

CaliforniaFFC

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 19, 2010, 12:45:33 AM
Murphy is like the kid in the corner with his hand up asking teacher if they remembered its lunch time.

' Miss Miss it is nearly break time, I don't mind because I brought sandwiches but Miss it is nearly break time Miss'

Just shut the break up and let Fulham do what they want to who they want. Maybe seeing Swart and Konk be in line for stupid fees has made them think twice about offering you another contract.
Excellent response. Spot on. Two managers in a row that want experienced "older" players will only hurt our future as a club. We need some younger blood.

JBH

Personally i think DM should concentrate on his own performance as his own displays in recent games have shown signs that he is on the decline and not as imposing as he was this time 2 seasons ago.

Also Hughes is our manager so Mr Murphy, club captain or not LET MARK HUGHES DO HIS JOB AND MANAGE FFC  :doh:

Andy Crysell

I agree with you guys 100%

Murphy should wind his neck in and concentrate on himself.

Who does he think he is, Gary Neville?

BestOfBrede

C'mon people - Murphy speaks sense!
Why disrupt a settled good team?
During the next transfer window Hughes will have a better idea who he wants to bring in and replace but not now.
Also, Why let your experienced players leave on a free?

FatFreddysCat

To be honest i really hope Murphy gets to sit out most of the season, class player but rapidly in decline.That Icelandic Reading fella looks good from the little clip i've on here yesterday, do they play the same sort of role anyone know?