watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

mr khan: whatever it takes

Started by nose, August 21, 2016, 12:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill taylors apprentice

One good striker who complements whats been done so far !

Not ideal but that will do to help maintain our current position until January.

Then the window can be described as good to very good, but if no worthwhile striker comes in then the jobs not finished and those involved  will be negligent.

Carborundum

Quote from: Statto on August 30, 2016, 12:27:48 PM
Quote from: NogoodBoyo on August 30, 2016, 11:44:00 AM
Are investments on players classified as capital investments applied to the balance sheet, or operating expenses on the P&L?
Nogood "asking Statto, MJG, accountants, other financial types out there or Macintosh, isit" Boyo

intangible assets on the balance sheet
amortization of existing players go in p&l
i think sales for more than book value also go in p&l (eg roberts)
that's my understanding but not an accountant so my be wrong (particularly the last part)
Sounds about right.  Sales for less than book value go as losses in the P&L too.

Twig

Quote from: Carborundum on August 31, 2016, 11:59:18 AM
Are investments on players classified as capital investments applied to the balance sheet, or operating expenses on the P&L?
Nogood "asking Statto, MJG, accountants, other financial types out there or Macintosh, isit" Boyo

that's my understanding but not an accountant so my be wrong (particularly the last part)
Sounds about right.  Sales for less than book value go as losses in the P&L too.

Since one or two people are talking sense rather than uninformed opinion. Can I ask over how many years the player capex is amortized?  Does the club have flexibility over this or is the period defined under FFP?

MJG

Quote from: Statto on August 31, 2016, 01:51:02 PM
Quote from: Twig on August 31, 2016, 01:24:34 PM
Quote from: Carborundum on August 31, 2016, 11:59:18 AM

Since one or two people are talking sense rather than uninformed opinion. Can I ask over how many years the player capex is amortized?  Does the club have flexibility over this or is the period defined under FFP?

MJG knows more about this and has posted on it before

in the regular accounts i'm pretty sure it amortizes over the term of the contract

but for the accounts submitted to the football league under FFP i wouldn't be surprised if there are different & more specific rules. as i've said before it's all very opaque. the full ffp rules should be published. 
A players value and cost to a team is spread over the term of a contract. That would be his transfer plus wages.
So for example player A cost £5M and his wages were £1m a year on a five year contract.
His paper value in Year 1 is £10M
Year 2 £8M
Year 3 £6M
Year 4 £4M
Year 5 £2M

Thats how you would see it in official accounts as assets.

But my understanding is that FFP submitted accounts does not allow the spread of Fees to be calculated like this. But for once me and Statto agree, the rules are very vague and hard to actually find the real information clubs have to give to the league.