News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Transfer Summary - How much was our net gain?

Started by davew, September 01, 2016, 08:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davew

Happy that we have strengthened our squad, but not sure whether much of the money from players sold has been re-invested in new players? Anybody want to put up a list of outs and ins and estimated fees?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Chutney

Transfer market has it as spent £20.19mil and received £19.18mil.

Meaning a loss of £1.01mil.

Meaning we've barely invested anything and still managed to improve the entire squad.

What this means is that we have plenty of scope to spend in January if we need to.

While it is disappointing to again see us not really push the boat out and spend big, I think its been sensible and the players we now have are capable of top 10.
C O Y W

Fulham76

According to some link I saw last night we, apparently, were the 4th highest spender on £20m.

H4usuallysitting

Remember Mr Khant had stated "whatever it takes", one can assume that £1:01m is " whatever it takes"

davew

That's roughly what I thought, still the squad does look a lot better, onwards and upwards!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

General

Ridiculous. I'm not Khans biggest fan - his management of our club early on was appauling with the turnover of managers. The guy clearly hadn't grasped what it meant to run a club.

That said, since he's been at our club the one thing we've always been active with is our transfers, irregardless of whether they've been a success or not. He's made himself have to learn the hard way (which shouldn't have been the case) but this summer transfer window (minus perhaps one extra striker) I believe the club has handled itself well and revamped the team in a financially astute way. If we got promoted to the premiership and built a competitive team just by selling players we already had then I'd consider that a bonus. Especially when you consider how poor our team as a collective was last season.

In all reality we've got rid of a lot of dead weight this summer and brought in much better quality and in depth. He should be commended for allowing that to happen. Don't forget our overspend saw us have a transfer embargo so he's within his right to not want that to happen again.

It's the first summer we've had in a long time where new players coming in are regular and we've not been constantly frustrated by the lack of new faces at the club. We were all pining for a striker and in Martin we've got a proven striker in the league who apparently is good for scoring 15/20 goals a season. We have a very capable set of goalscoring midfielders too in Mcdonald, Cairney, Kebano etc and so all in all we really should be being a bit more positive. Adebayor is still a free agent. Although I do believe the guy seems a bit too destructive. Beforehand we had an owner who hardly ever wanted to spend money. I believe once we get back in to the premiership too we'll see a great deal more spending too thanks to the financial tv benefits.

Roberty

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on September 01, 2016, 10:11:38 AM
Remember Mr Khant had stated "whatever it takes", one can assume that £1:01m is " whatever it takes"

The amount we spend on transfer is not the full story.

You have to take into account how much we are spending on wages - if we are spending less he has even more wiggle room in the January transfer window but if it is more we will have less

"what ever it takes" he's spent BIG on players during his tenure - Motro and Ross for instance - it did not do any good - Ross may well have scored lots of goal but our playing style meant we let too many in - much better to get the right players.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

cookieg

As far as I'm concerned splashing the cash proves nothing. You only have to look at our expensive failures of the past to see that that isn't a guarantee of success.

The one question I have asked myself is "Is our squad better now than it was at the end of last season?" and the answer is yes.

For the first time in years I am really looking forward to going to games. Ok, we may not win them all but at least we have a squad and a manager that will compete and give it all for the team and the fans.

Personally promotion would be too early this year but a play-off place would be ideal with further building next summer to go up at the end of that season.

COYW!!

Fulham1959

Spending big money does not automatically guarantee success, as others have hinted in this thread.  It's how you spend what you can afford to spend that counts.

Another £10bn spent on the NHS means nothing unless it is spent well.  It's easy to pour money down the drain.

I am happy with our transfer dealings this summer and I still have faith in our Chairman.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Roberty on September 01, 2016, 10:39:20 AM

You have to take into account how much we are spending on wages - if we are spending less he has even more wiggle room in the January transfer window but if it is more we will have less

"what ever it takes" he's spent BIG on players during his tenure - Motro and Ross for instance - it did not do any good - Ross may well have scored lots of goal but our playing style meant we let too many in - much better to get the right players.

Mr Khant said "whatever it takes" prior to releasing season tickets this season......I'm only quoting him

Chutney

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on September 01, 2016, 11:35:20 AM

Mr Khant said "whatever it takes" prior to releasing season tickets this season......I'm only quoting him

The man will tell us whatever we want to hear to sell tickets, we are naive if we still believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

I really do think the squad has improved, that much is clear, however I am tired of Khan taking us for mugs in regards to his communication and messages to the fans.

If he'd come out at the start of the window and said "we will buy carefully and try not to overspend" then he would of been telling the truth. But he knew that telling the truth wouldn't sell the same amount of tickets as a wild promise with no substance.

"Whatever is takes" was an outright lie.

What we have done this summer is buy carefully and improve the squad with cheap but useful players that have no doubt progressed us. What we haven't done this summer is "whatever it takes" to get promotion, which is what was promised.

Result of the window for me:

- Happy with the squad.

- Disappointed in the owner for yet more lies.

C O Y W

grandad

I think Mr Khan & his team have done a terrific job this window. To acquire the number of excellent players he has for a minimal outlay is to be applauded. It is not written in stone that unless one spends to the limit one has not been successful in the market.
We have learned over the last 10 years that spending big does not guarantee one a top player or success.
Where there's a will there's a wife

cookieg

Quote from: Chutney on September 01, 2016, 11:45:00 AM

The man will tell us whatever we want to hear to sell tickets, we are naive if we still believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

I really do think the squad has improved, that much is clear, however I am tired of Khan taking us for mugs in regards to his communication and messages to the fans.

If he'd come out at the start of the window and said "we will buy carefully and try not to overspend" then he would of been telling the truth. But he knew that telling the truth wouldn't sell the same amount of tickets as a wild promise with no substance.

What we have done this summer is buy carefully and improve the squad with cheap but useful players that have no doubt progressed us. What we haven't done this summer is "whatever it takes" to get promotion, which is what was promised.

- Happy with the squad.

I remember MAF telling us we would be the "Manchester United of the South". Was he lying to us just to  sell tickets?

Chutney

Quote from: grandad on September 01, 2016, 12:06:37 PM
I think Mr Khan & his team have done a terrific job this window. To acquire the number of excellent players he has for a minimal outlay is to be applauded. It is not written in stone that unless one spends to the limit one has not been successful in the market.
We have learned over the last 10 years that spending big does not guarantee one a top player or success.

Its not about the amount spent, its about the promises made. I agree we should  applaud him had he come out and said " we will get a number of excellent players for a minimal outlay" but he didn't. His claim was that we will do "whatever it takes" to get promoted, he has not fulfilled that promise. 

So no, I will not applaud a man for deceiving us to sell tickets.

People are keen to throw out the "spending big doesn't guarantee success" when that is completely beyond the point. The point is Khan promised to do something and that promise proved to be a lie.

Yes we now have a team capable of finishing around 10th, possibly at a push it could fight for the play offs.

Have we done "whatever it takes" to gain promotion? Not at all.
C O Y W

Roberty

Quote from: Statto on September 01, 2016, 11:30:25 AM

If you're looking at wages then you should also look at gate receipts, sponsorship income and parachute payments on the other side. If you bothered to do some basic research you'd see these things roughly balance each other out (at least) and net transfer spend is therefore a reasonable indicator of what's coming from the chairman.

Wiggle room in January is irrelevant. FFP is now assessed over a rolling 3 yr period. So Currently our "wiggle room" is about £39m over that timeframe.

The chairman may well have spent "BIG" in 2014, I'll give you that. But not in 2016.

Anyway these arguments have been done to death. Time to move on and argue about who to play at right back.

So why, oh why do you keep making them.

The amount we loose is financed by the Chairman - that is his additional investment or not if we've made a profit

We cannot make a loss and then spend the chairmans money on top of that

Since we paid Dembele and some of the other deparures bu**er all - it is quite likely our wage bill has gone up. An extra 5k per week to a player adds 260k to our total wage bill and of we are giving away free tickets our gate reciepts are not going up.

If it is done over three seasons now and we are in sight of promotion - they could decide to risk all in January and take the 3 year loss then perhaps
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

cookieg

Quote from: Statto on September 01, 2016, 12:26:17 PM
Quote from: cookieg on September 01, 2016, 12:13:58 PM

- Happy with the squad.

I remember MAF telling us we would be the "Manchester United of the South". Was he lying to us just to  sell tickets?

relatively speaking he delivered on that promise

Is that because we had lots of fans in the South??

And I certainly don't remember us challenging Chelsea or Arsenal as being the top club in London or the South.

Chutney

Quote from: cookieg on September 01, 2016, 12:41:24 PM
Quote from: Statto on September 01, 2016, 12:26:17 PM
Quote from: cookieg on September 01, 2016, 12:13:58 PM

- Happy with the squad.

relatively speaking he delivered on that promise

Is that because we had lots of fans in the South??

And I certainly don't remember us challenging Chelsea or Arsenal as being the top club in London or the South.

We were a premiership team, representing in europe and with a squad full of internationals.

It was solid effort considering the position he bought us in.
C O Y W

Skatzoffc

imo, I don't think you can say he hasn't fulfilled his statement of

"whatever it takes to get promoted" until the end of the season.

If we get promoted, hasn't he  done it?
:down_under:
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Holders

If it were my money I'd be happy with this window - but then I wouldn't have let the parachute period pass us by so lightly.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

grandad

"Whatever it takes" does not necessarily mean I will spend up to the limit we are allowed. Money is only part of the whole picture which Mr Khan was referring to.
The same few are still clutching at every last straw to have a go at our owner.
Get over it & just concentrate on the football  & leave the rest of running the Club to those who know best. Be thankful we are not owned by Oyston or the Venky´s.
Where there's a will there's a wife