more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Well, here we are

Started by Peabody, September 05, 2016, 02:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davew

Quote from: filham on September 05, 2016, 05:55:23 PM
Where does the count start, looking back it must be almost seventy years ago that I decided to line up with the Fulham boys against the Chelsea boys in the School playground but it was two or three years later that I became a regular visitor to the Cottage and a regular guest at the Bridge with my Chelsea friends. None of us budged an inch from the early alliance we made.
If that's true how can you type so accurately, I am apparently approx. 10 years younger than you and my eyesight is shite now, so bad I keep missing the odd 5ft putt!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

SG

Congratulations Mr P. Mine will be 60 next year. My old man first took me in 57. He and his friends use to go to the Cottage one week and the dog track the other although Fulham was his club. I only went to the Cottage with them as the crowds were smaller there. On such factors are one's life time choices made. I have never regretted it despite the many lows over the years. It makes the highs so much more enjoyable.

Artful Dodger

Congratulations Sir! The club is made by people like you who stay with the club through thick and thin  :Haynes The Maestro:   065.gif 
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Funky Fulham Dave

:wow:

Fantastic, fantastic, fantasiticooooooooooooooooooo.............................

049:gif

Supermitch

That is a fantastic achievement Mr P, a true example to us all  :Haynes The Maestro: :Haynes The Maestro:

cottage expat

Congratulations, Mr. Peabody !
On a Saturday in 1962 two classmates invited me to a football match; one at Stamford Bridge and the other at Craven Cottage.I didn't have a strong preference but opted for the latter, mainly because the Fulham supporter was a lot more convivial than the Chelski bloke. The match was against Notts Forest and we won ! That was it. Fulham became my team which I've followed through thick and (often) thin. Since moving overseas many years ago, it has not always been easy to keep up but where there's a will there's a way. With so few televised matches, I am now a big fan of Gentleman Jim and look forward to the one or two matches I manage to attend each year.

Funky Fulham Dave

Ah the Peabody Estate.

I was a delivery boy for the local grocers (Hawkins) on Saturday mornings and weekday nights and would deliver to places such as the Peabody Estate. Compared with much of the surrounding area the Peabody estate on the Fulham Palace Road was an oasis of tranquility. It was a nice mix of houses, flats, communal garden and quiet walkways and roads. It was in many ways very upmarket and I can remember one of our customers being the manager of the Hammersmith Underground Station which was at the time a very prestigious position to hold. Peabody was posh. That was before people started to become sniffy about council housing and rented accommodation.

Just along from the Peabody was Judy's Cafe' at the top of Fulham Palace Road where I would deliver enormous bags of sugar on my trade bike, the type that had a heavy duty basket in the front over a small front wheel to hold the deliveries. Riding that trade bike required a combination of blind panic and undisguised bravado and to arrive back from a delivery in one piece having avoided the laissez-faire car driving of the day was always a relief.

Judy's Cafe' was a double fronted place that had the most up to date games machine of the time – the Pin Ball Machine. I used to see Rodney Marsh there many a time along with other younger players from Fulham and QPR. You wouldn't see the likes of Marsh in a cafe' today because there ain't any working men's cafe's left.

But there still is a Peabody. Keep on keeping on.

The Rock

Congrats! This is the life we chose.

Lewes White

Another great milestone from a true supporter, great respect and admiration for your love of the best club ever.
50 years for me this year and again like many who have replied started with mates going to the other team in Fulham and the following week the real team in Fulham. Very quickly my mind and heart was made up and has been ever since, many highs and many lows but when its in your blood you can't change as my son said once why did you ever take me to see Fulham, they are rubbish, or words to that effect!! But went on to say, they are in my blood can't follow anyone else now, cheers Dad he said a little sarcastically. He now has been following for 22years.
Its just one of those clubs, one of those unique clubs. Not seen a mate since the day after the final in Hamburg, we were outside a bar in the centre of the city, he said We will next see each other when the new chapter begins, I think after six years we may well be meeting again very soon!!!

Peabody

Quote from: Funky Fulham Dave on September 06, 2016, 09:11:36 AM
Ah the Peabody Estate.

I was a delivery boy for the local grocers (Hawkins) on Saturday mornings and weekday nights and would deliver to places such as the Peabody Estate. Compared with much of the surrounding area the Peabody estate on the Fulham Palace Road was an oasis of tranquility. It was a nice mix of houses, flats, communal garden and quiet walkways and roads. It was in many ways very upmarket and I can remember one of our customers being the manager of the Hammersmith Underground Station which was at the time a very prestigious position to hold. Peabody was posh. That was before people started to become sniffy about council housing and rented accommodation.

Just along from the Peabody was Judy's Cafe' at the top of Fulham Palace Road where I would deliver enormous bags of sugar on my trade bike, the type that had a heavy duty basket in the front over a small front wheel to hold the deliveries. Riding that trade bike required a combination of blind panic and undisguised bravado and to arrive back from a delivery in one piece having avoided the laissez-faire car driving of the day was always a relief.

Judy's Cafe' was a double fronted place that had the most up to date games machine of the time – the Pin Ball Machine. I used to see Rodney Marsh there many a time along with other younger players from Fulham and QPR. You wouldn't see the likes of Marsh in a cafe' today because there ain't any working men's cafe's left.

But there still is a Peabody. Keep on keeping on.

Yes the still is a Peabody both on here and in the Fulham Palace Road, unfortunately, the powers that run the buildings have decided to sell some of the properties, in fact the one I lived in, 82 The Square was up for sale at £600,000k

toshes mate

Quote from: Peabody on September 05, 2016, 02:21:15 PM
Sept 7th marks my 70th annerverary of supporting Fulham. I know others like Kent Cassandra have gone well past 70 years but I feel quite proud of reaching that milestone and have I enjoyed it, well I'm still here aren't I? Just like all Fulham supporters, we ain't glory hunters are we?

Well done Sir it is in our blood.  I am not far behind you sixty eight years and counting to the first game at Craven Cottage I watched from the Hammersmith end of the Stevenage Road Stand enclosure in my school uniform......