watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Striker

Started by FFCFOREVER, September 13, 2016, 09:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFCFOREVER

We desperately needed a striker tonight who can unlock a stubborn defence.There seems to be a pattern developing where we dictate play,possession,shots etc and we are not getting any reward for it.We need someone more mobile than Smith and Martin and Woodrow is hit and miss.I would like to see Piazon play.Fair play to the boys though they never gave up.

filham

Yes, McCormack was worth his weight in gold and has not been replaced. That late goal saved us a point and what was probably the beginning of a goal drought.

RaySmith

We desperately seemed to lack that tonight.

Martin hasn't had much chance to settle though, and most of the team are still new to each other.

Well done for keeping going and getting a point -it looked as if the odds were against us.
We live to fight another day.

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: filham on September 13, 2016, 10:02:37 PM
Yes, McCormack was worth his weight in gold and has not been replaced. That late goal saved us a point and what was probably the beginning of a goal drought.

Hate to say I told you so but...
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

filham

Is perhaps part of the problem that we are playing with a lone striker and the players filling that role are not up to it but would look better in a 4-4-2 set up with someone along side them.

One Martin Thomas

I don't think that playing two holding midfielders is necessary when you are home to Burton.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on September 13, 2016, 10:06:23 PM
Quote from: filham on September 13, 2016, 10:02:37 PM

Hate to say I told you so but...
Might be a little early to try to gloat! Let's see how many goals Ross gets this season against Chris Martin. Chris has just joined so let's review this come Christmas once this side gels. I was pleased we kept fighting which in the passed we would have folded. Shows mental strength!
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Chutney

Woodrow can't even make the bench despite being our most energetic striker. Smith doesn't suit the style we've adopted and shouldn't be on the bench, he offers nothing as a plan b while we refuse to play a style that suits him.

I'd love to see Martin and Woodrow as a front two but at least have Woodrow on the bench.
C O Y W

Carborundum

Just back.  We have what we have until the new year.  Chris Martin was under used tonight.  He showed to feet and was repeatedly ignored.  We just need to have confidence in his footballing ability and weave him in, because he will suck players in and make the space we were denied tonight.

The simple square balls didn't go where we wanted them to.  In fairness to our players, Burtons defending in the penalty area was pretty good and part of the reason for things not clicking.

The Kebano / Sessegnon axis was potent in the first half.  Can't really understand why we didn't keep going with it..

Stand out man of the match for me though was the Burton DM Choudhry.  He played a great game and won the important balls time and again.

We still have a positive goal difference and stand sixth in the table.  Pretty good start.

Baszab

Choudhry managed to wind up the Hammersmith end and the FFC bench pretty well

Yamus

Why bring on acreative player towards the end when you have two big centre forwards you can lump it to,we also had a goal keeper who thought he was centre forward.

Carborundum

Quote from: Yamus on September 13, 2016, 11:18:15 PM
Why bring on acreative player towards the end when you have two big centre forwards you can lump it to,we also had a goal keeper who thought he was centre forward.
Yes, there were a couple of moments when the seventy yard lob was absolutely on.  Suspect that someone will pull it off or come mighty close before the season ends.

When they brought Smith on, no-one was more surprised than Chris Martin, who went straight to the bench to ask who should go where and then headed out towards the left touch line.  Clearly Matt Smith is our battering ram of choice.

..FOF..

Ayite could also be transformed into a striker.

He was sidelined because Kebano just edge him out for a place in midfield. Ayite was performing very well too.

Maybe he needs more practice to get comfortable in that position.

If Piazon doesn't work for us, I believe Ayite or Aluko will be the emergency striker.

love4ffc

Quote from: filham on September 13, 2016, 10:07:46 PM
Is perhaps part of the problem that we are playing with a lone striker and the players filling that role are not up to it but would look better in a 4-4-2 set up with someone along side them.
Starting to think this might be correct.  Can't help but wonder if Joka should try something different like going to a 4-4-2 with Woodrow or another working up top together. 

What I don't want to see is the dreaded Diamond coming back! 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Horsfield_No9

My worry is that if we persist with this formation it won't work for Martin. He's a good player in a front 2 but even admitted himself he hasn't never played as a lone striker at Derby. I agree that he may not be mobile enough for this position. He did OK last night and needs a few games to get going so don't want to judge yet but feel we might have to change formation to see the best of him.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.