watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

My thoughts today

Started by @jolslover, September 21, 2016, 11:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

@jolslover

I enjoyed today, Despite the result I always like seeing some of our fringe players/kids get a go. Thought we played good football and were unlucky to lose. Had Woodrow got his shooting boots on we would have won, Penalty miss swung the game.
So here are my thoughts on the game for people who weren't there. Any disagreements let me know.

Joronen 4- Had a bad game. Distribution was shocking and always looked nervous on the ball
Tunnicliffe 6- Did OK at RB. Bags of energy as usual, worked hard and made some decent tackles. Still think he needs more game time at RB to improve from a positional sense point of view.
Madl 7- Thought he had a good game, dealt with Abraham well at the end and his direct passing is something we miss when he's not playing. Calm on the ball and never gave it away
Ream 6- Average game. Wasn't bad by any means but not as solid as Madl
Malone 6- As usual got forward well, final ball lacking at times however with a few poor balls. Defended decently
Adeniran 6- Did a decent job defensively, energetic and popped up with a few good interceptions. Good at doing the simple stuff but sometimes struggled to play killer ball
Johansen 8- Class. Ran the game, was spraying the ball about like Pirlo while running around like Parker. Put in some class defensive work also.
Edun 6- Average game for him, worked hard and covered a lot of ground, some nice link up with Malone and looks a decent player.
LVC 7- Good game from him, such a direct player always looking to take men on today. Linked up well with Tunni and started several counter attacks
Piazon 7- Goal was a good header, faded second half but some very nice touches when he got on the ball and passing was good
Woodrow 5- Had a nightmare off a game in front of goal, missing a penalty and a 1 on 1. Which cost us the 3 points, unfortunately that can't be overlooked. But otherwise I thought he was good, some very good  touches, worked hard and linked up well with the midfielders.

STH H3

ChesterTheTabby

Sounds a fair summation of the game from what I heard on the radio.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

millsy

I watched from the Johnny Haynes tonight, rather than usual Hammy End, as like you I like to watch our youngsters and current back-up, squad players, to see what we have in reserve. As at Orient, mostly quite encouraged by what was on display but faded as the game went on.

I've posted my thoughts on individual performances on another thread but pretty well agree with all you say and my ratings would mirror yours. I think Johansen and Piazon could both be important for us. They both possess the quality that I fear Tunni, Cauley and possibly even LVC don't. All good players but just lacking that something extra to stand out in this league.

As you say, with that bit of class up front it would have been all over first half. Wish we had their substitute striker. In my opinion, he was the difference on the night.

@jolslover

Quote from: millsy on September 21, 2016, 11:58:13 PM
I watched from the Johnny Haynes tonight, rather than usual Hammy End, as like you I like to watch our youngsters and current back-up, squad players, to see what we have in reserve. As at Orient, mostly quite encouraged by what was on display but faded as the game went on.

I've posted my thoughts on individual performances on another thread but pretty well agree with all you say and my ratings would mirror yours. I think Johansen and Piazon could both be important for us. They both possess the quality that I fear Tunni, Cauley and possibly even LVC don't. All good players but just lacking that something extra to stand out in this league.

As you say, with that bit of class up front it would have been all over first half. Wish we had their substitute striker. In my opinion, he was the difference on the night.

Great reply, Agree with everything you said! Their sub striker was Abraham, Hes on loan from Chelsea, Hes having a great season so far. Will have to watch him closely on Saturday, Looked brilliant!
STH H3

MJG

Good summary and don't disagree with much if it.

Mince n Tatties

Johansen - Pirlo....Steady son.

RaySmith

Thanks for this summary.
Things aren't so bad after all then.

Ruiz11

Luckily only one or two of our players on show tonight are likely to feature prominently in the league, as I thought we were poor and Bristol City deserved it. In particular, Joronen's  distribution was hideously awful and he should definitely have been sent off, Tunnicliffe gave the ball away even more than usual and Edun just looked over-awed.

Skatzoffc

Quote from: @jolslover on September 21, 2016, 11:13:44 PM
I enjoyed today, Despite the result I always like seeing some of our fringe players/kids get a go. Thought we played good football and were unlucky to lose. Had Woodrow got his shooting boots on we would have won, Penalty miss swung the game.
So here are my thoughts on the game for people who weren't there. Any disagreements let me know.

Joronen 4- Had a bad game. Distribution was shocking and always looked nervous on the ball
Tunnicliffe 6- Did OK at RB. Bags of energy as usual, worked hard and made some decent tackles. Still think he needs more game time at RB to improve from a positional sense point of view.
Madl 7- Thought he had a good game, dealt with Abraham well at the end and his direct passing is something we miss when he's not playing. Calm on the ball and never gave it away
Ream 6- Average game. Wasn't bad by any means but not as solid as Madl
Malone 6- As usual got forward well, final ball lacking at times however with a few poor balls. Defended decently
Adeniran 6- Did a decent job defensively, energetic and popped up with a few good interceptions. Good at doing the simple stuff but sometimes struggled to play killer ball
Johansen 8- Class. Ran the game, was spraying the ball about like Pirlo while running around like Parker. Put in some class defensive work also.
Edun 6- Average game for him, worked hard and covered a lot of ground, some nice link up with Malone and looks a decent player.
LVC 7- Good game from him, such a direct player always looking to take men on today. Linked up well with Tunni and started several counter attacks
Piazon 7- Goal was a good header, faded second half but some very nice touches when he got on the ball and passing was good
Woodrow 5- Had a nightmare off a game in front of goal, missing a penalty and a 1 on 1. Which cost us the 3 points, unfortunately that can't be overlooked. But otherwise I thought he was good, some very good  touches, worked hard and linked up well with the midfielders.

Thanks for that JL.
I was at the game and would agree with much of this.

In general an entertaining game watching our much improved, (in quality), 2nd string.
I have some of my own comments tho which differ to yours.

Jorenen did have a bad game, but with them closing us down as we tried to play it out from the back, I'd suggest he wasn't helped by some shocking back passes from our defence even as oppo attackers were running into our box.

Madl was lucky, I thought, not to connect with one of theirs with a crazy two-footed lunge. Something he needs to eradicate from his game pronto.

I thought Piazon had a good start but faded badly in the 2nd half.

Johanson was similar, great 1st half then started trying desperate long balls forward invariably going to the opposition in the 2nd. I really don't think he was match fit the other week when he got subbed off after 20 odd minutes. In general, looked better last night tho.

To be fair the whole team looked poor in the 2nd half, but I believe that was more a credit to the opposition stepping up their game and closing us down. They played with much more tempo and, when Abraham came on, he was quality.

As has been stated elsewhere about our "lack of" strikers it could have been so much better.
We controlled the game in the 1st half and if Woody takes his one on one with their keeper on 40 mins we go in 2 up. Poss three up in the 2nd half with the pen and the game is dead and buried.

The game swung quickly in their favour tho. A terrible time to concede, (44 minutes) and then missing the pen was disastrous for us psychologically and lifted them immeasurably.

But still an entertaining game of the proverbial two halves.

Ho hum. Such is football

COYW!

Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

@jolslover

Thanks for replies lads. Think Bristol on Saturday is a massive game, 3 points needed
STH H3

hovewhite

3pionts from last night jorenen awful kicking ,the backpasses from the  defence in front of him and cauley who couldn't hit a barn door and showed hes not the man that can  score the goals
needed