more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The George Cohen Statue (Pictures)

Started by Friendsoffulham, October 01, 2016, 11:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Well I wouldn't think it was nice gesture by the club
if they put one of me up looking like someone else.
I should think George(the gentleman) he is, will be having a chuckle to himself.
Bobby Moore will be looking down and thinking thats
nice of Fulham to give me a statue. 

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 02, 2016, 09:07:52 AM
Well I wouldn't think it was nice gesture by the club
if they put one of me up looking like someone else.
I should think George(the gentleman) he is, will be having a chuckle to himself.
Bobby Moore will be looking down and thinking thats
nice of Fulham to give me a statue. 

bit of a weird location too. Hidden away
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Mince n Tatties

Yes, should have been out front with Johnny.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 02, 2016, 09:13:40 AM
Yes, should have been out front with Johnny.

you'd think. It makes it feel like second best

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

alfie

apart from it not looking like him, i really struggled to read the wording under the statue.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Ged

I think one of the problem's is that it is too far off ground level
You have to look up to see the bottom of the plinth so you are seeing him from a strange angle
I agree it should be out the front with Haynes

nose

thank you for posting the pictures

i am thrilled that statue is placed where we cannot see it. It should be along side the JH statue or at least somewhhere people in the JH stand can see it.

dannyboi-ffc

You don't build a statue in a tribute to a club legend and then hide it in the back garden. Had the Riverside walk been opened up when rebuilt it would have looked nice for river walkers to walk past. But tucked away so that even half the home fans can't see it doesn't make much sense to me. But then again not making sense fits in with everything Khan has done so far.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

grandad

I think it was the Club´s intention to place it near the VIP entrance but when the club saw it they felt it would be better out if sight. I think the club & all of us who contributed should get our money back & find someone who can sculpt a true likeness statue.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ffc73

The statue is in a prime location.  Forward planning by the club

Don't forget that when the Riverside stand is redeveloped  064.gif  the Thames path will run along the back of the stadium, there will be cafes and a carnival atmosphere every day with plenty of passers by seeing Bobby, sorry George, looking out across the river waiting to caught on tv cameras once a year as the Boat Race passes by

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: FFC73 on October 02, 2016, 02:29:05 PM
The statue is in a prime location.  Forward planning by the club

Don't forget that when the Riverside stand is redeveloped  064.gif  the Thames path will run along the back of the stadium, there will be cafes and a carnival atmosphere every day with plenty of passers by seeing Bobby, sorry George, looking out across the river waiting to caught on tv cameras once a year as the Boat Race passes by

.... lol

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: grandad on October 02, 2016, 02:23:45 PM
I think it was the Club´s intention to place it near the VIP entrance but when the club saw it they felt it would be better out if sight. I think the club & all of us who contributed should get our money back & find someone who can sculpt a true likeness statue.

Yes I want my green shield stamps back.
The wife had been saving them for a new toilet brush.

St Eve

Very disappointing and he should be next to the maestro

Fulham 442

It was the same sculptor who did the Johnny Haynes statue and I must confess I was a bit surprised when I saw it.  It seems very "static".  I know that sounds a bit stupid saying that about a statue but it doesn't have any sense of movement.  I would have preferred to have seen a more "in motion" one and I do agree it seems too lean to be George, even in his playing days.  However the sculptor worked with both George and photographs and I am sure there would have been some sort of preliminary sketches as to how it would look when finished  that were signed off when everyone was declared happy with them.  I do agree that it is very tall as the plinth is so high, you have to strain your neck to look up at it, although yesterday you could get next to it as there was a stand erected.  I guess the club were limited as to where they could put it.  Maybe there would be issued with the Council if we wanted to put it outside, which would be preferable.

filham

I think there is a factory in China useing digital data to mass producing statues of the typical mid 20th century   British footballers for sale to put in public places and our new style management couldn't resist something to show they are up to date with these things.

ron

For my money, the classic pose for George Cohen would have been at the point of crossing the ball, with both arms held out at shoulder height for balance.

I have to agree also that facially there appears to be little likeness. Shame.

nose

statistically this was probably the best place because the board used a new kind of analytics to place it....  as much sense as our current purchasing policy

Holders

All that said, I like the inscription though.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 03, 2016, 08:58:36 AM
It's clearly the wrong place to leave a statue, they must eventually be placing it in a more permanent and acceptable location.
In the meantime I cannot wait for that to happen. So if anyone is willing, please meet me at the Statue at an arranged time to assist me in moving it outside where it should be.
I don't need any help carrying it, I can do that myself. I just need someone to keep a watch out while we carry out this operation.
Thank you for your anticipated cooperation on this matter.

I will assist you, I will be in the disguise of our owner
Complete with wig and false  moustache and carrying plans to the riverside stand under my arm.
Hilda the Tea lady will have the getaway car Engine running in Stevenage Rd.
Only snag is she wants paid up front, I've gave her a fiver, but you will have to stump up the other half.

Twig

It is a very fitting tribute so well done for that.  I agree the location verges on the bizarre.  It is not an obvious likeness because the pose is atypical (I think the sculptor has tried too hard for a leader and hero look).  However the more I look at it and ignore the pose the better the likeness, so not all bad imo.