watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

optimistic

Started by nose, October 11, 2016, 03:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose

despite all the stuff I have stated elsewhere i remain confident we can finish high in the table this season and by that I mean the top few.

we have self evidently been playing very well indeed, the work ethic is excellent and the team are organised. What is needed, is to remember to put the ball through the three sticks at the correct end of the pitch.....

We have a brilliant manager that has managed despite the worst the board can hurl at him, got the team playing BUT he has been thwarted by not having a full squad in place prior to the season start and he also has to put up witha nonsensical transfer system that is doomed. Let the manager choose who he wants, all the board should do is set the budget and ensure the dealings are honest.   as far as stats are concerned let him use them or not, but let his experience reign and he will live or die by his own descisions.

If the board keep out of the transfer window in winter, if we make the odd tweak to the side we should have no problems.

I reamin optimistic, there is loads of time and games, and we are playing the best for years. The manager IMO is the best thing we have had for such a long time, i wish the owner would wake up and realise that and let him get on with it without the inteference of people that do not know what they are doing.

FulhamStu

All we need are a couple of good championship strikers who are good at putting the ball in the net.  We should pay what is necessary to recruit these players in January.  I would hope the club realise this as it's pretty bleeding obvious and have got a decent number of irons in the fire and the money ready.  I will however not be holding my breath.

alfie

Quote from: FulhamStu on October 11, 2016, 04:13:57 PM
All we need are a couple of good championship strikers who are good at putting the ball in the net.  We should pay what is necessary to recruit these players in January.  I would hope the club realise this as it's pretty bleeding obvious and have got a decent number of irons in the fire and the money ready.  I will however not be holding my breath.

All we need is our current crop of strikers to start putting the ball in the net.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: alfie on October 11, 2016, 05:09:18 PM

All we need is our current crop of strikers to start putting the ball in the net.

Agreed. We have the attacking players to be scoring often. We have created plenty of opportunities and only require the mental fortitude in front of goal to just relax and drive it home. If the club see the need for an additional strike option up front in January, then the more the merrier I say. We shouldn't be buying out of any sense of panic however.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

fulhamben

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on October 11, 2016, 05:18:04 PM

Agreed. We have the attacking players to be scoring often. We have created plenty of opportunities and only require the mental fortitude in front of goal to just relax and drive it home. If the club see the need for an additional strike option up front in January, then the more the merrier I say. We shouldn't be buying out of any sense of panic however.
it's hardly panic, we sold all our strikers and went with a last day panic loan to temporarily replace them. It's a necessity not a panic to buy a new striker.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: fulhamben on October 11, 2016, 05:27:03 PM

it's hardly panic, we sold all our strikers and went with a last day panic loan to temporarily replace them. It's a necessity not a panic to buy a new striker.

Might go back and read my sentence before last. I didn't say all buying was panic buying. Just saying that we didn't need to buy just to have another striker. If the right player isn't available, then we shouldn't feel compelled to just get someone in. If the right player is available and the club see the need, then I'm all for it.

Baszab

"Brilliant"!?!!!!!!  :wine:

fulhamben

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on October 11, 2016, 05:38:34 PM

Might go back and read my sentence before last. I didn't say all buying was panic buying. Just saying that we didn't need to buy just to have another striker. If the right player isn't available, then we shouldn't feel compelled to just get someone in. If the right player is available and the club see the need, then I'm all for it.
well considering our strike force has managed a whooping two goals all season between them, I reckon a blind,one legged striker would be the right type of player :005:

davew

Quote from: fulhamben on October 11, 2016, 05:45:15 PM

well considering our strike force has managed a whooping two goals all season between them, I reckon a blind,one legged striker would be the right type of player :005:
Not if he only has a left leg!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

filham

I think we would all wholeheartedly agree that Jocanovic should be given a free hand with transfers providing he operates within a budget and that Stats Boy should be there only in an advisory capacity.

Jocanovic has now had his complete squad,  with fourteen new signings , together for some weeks and results are no where near satisfactory so we really can't say we have a brilliant manager. Yes, the football at times looks pretty but remember its goals that count and we are not scoring goals.

Yes a good target man / striker may turn things around but knowing we were to lose possibly the best pair of strikers in the division over the summer a replacement should have been the manager's priority.

fulhamben

Quote from: filham on October 11, 2016, 07:08:45 PM
I think we would all wholeheartedly agree that Jocanovic should be given a free hand with transfers providing he operates within a budget and that Stats Boy should be there only in an advisory capacity.

Jocanovic has now had his complete squad,  with fourteen new signings , together for some weeks and results are no where near satisfactory so we really can't say we have a brilliant manager. Yes, the football at times looks pretty but remember its goals that count and we are not scoring goals.

Yes a good target man / striker may turn things around but knowing we were to lose possibly the best pair of strikers in the division over the summer a replacement should have been the manager's priority.
How do you know it wasn't? Isn't it just as likely, nay more probable that stats boy or Rigg messed up the signing of his targets

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Statto on October 11, 2016, 06:33:28 PM
Just saying that we didn't need to buy just to have another striker. If the right player isn't available, then we shouldn't feel compelled to just get someone in. If the right player is available and the club see the need, then I'm all for it.

Whilst i agree with you that no one likes panic buying, i cannot think of less appropriate context for this observation than our current situation. i'd be surprised if there's ever, in the entire history of world football, been a more desperate, urgent and obvious need for club to sign a particular player than our current need to sign a striker

Well, we can agree to disagree on the appropriateness of my observation. And, I'd be surprised if there weren't dozens of examples in the entire history of world football where there was a more desperate, urgent, and obvious need for a club to sign a particular player than our current need to sign a striker.

filham

Quote from: fulhamben on October 11, 2016, 07:10:38 PM

How do you know it wasn't? Isn't it just as likely, nay more probable that stats boy or Rigg messed up the signing of his targets
Hard to believe that Jocanovic accepted the job without having the final say on transfers.

The Rock

Quote from: filham on October 11, 2016, 08:46:33 PM

Hard to believe that Jocanovic accepted the job without having the final say on transfers.

Final say? Any say is more like it. I am not so sure that was the case. Why would he line up a loan signing from Jose, just to see it get turned down from stats boy? I remember reading he was in for a few other players that were also rejected by stats boy. It sounds like he ended up with egg on his face, and was operating as if he had a say in the players that were bought in, and they were all turned down. It sounds like all the signings were controlled by stat boy.

Yes, you can call it a 2 way street, but when you are going to get none of the players you want, you'll take anyone.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: The Rock on October 11, 2016, 09:01:16 PM

Final say? Any say is more like it. I am not so sure that was the case. Why would he line up a loan signing from Jose, just to see it get turned down from stats boy? I remember reading he was in for a few other players that were also rejected by stats boy. It sounds like he ended up with egg on his face, and was operating as if he had a say in the players that were bought in, and they were all turned down. It sounds like all the signings were controlled by stat boy.

Yes, you can call it a 2 way street, but when you are going to get none of the players you want, you'll take anyone.

How do you know he didn't get any of the players he wanted? You make this out to be incredibly one-sided, which it isn't, when all evidence save for SJ's rant says otherwise. He was angry because he didn't get everyone he wanted, not because he didn't get anyone he wanted.

love4ffc

I wouldn't mind a new strike option.  So long as he is a fast getting striker who loves to take on and get in behind defenders.  I also would like to see Joka start using other formations depending on the game and the situation. 

Other then that I still have optimism that we could do very well with this group of players. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

filham

Funny how our views change, at the end of the window we were all quite pleased with the signings we had made including the late loan signing of Martin. Now after a poor run we are saying that we have made bad signings and some of us are leaping to the defence of our manager and readily blaming Stats Boy.

Last season Jocanovic's poor results were blamed on having to use Kit's players.

Look , no way should we think of replacing Jocanovic but he has to take responsibility for what he has said is a good squad and come up with some results soon.

Whitesideup

Just saying that we didn't need to buy just to have another striker. If the right player isn't available, then we shouldn't feel compelled to just get someone in. If the right player is available and the club see the need, then I'm all for it.

Whilst i agree with you that no one likes panic buying, i cannot think of less appropriate context for this observation than our current situation. i'd be surprised if there's ever, in the entire history of world football, been a more desperate, urgent and obvious need for club to sign a particular player than our current need to sign a striker
Didn't we effectively "buy" a striker in Martin?  Name me another Championship striker with a better goal-scoring record over the last three years? Yes, it's not going well, but the comment at this stage that we did not buy a striker is just simply wrong.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Whitesideup on October 11, 2016, 10:30:48 PM

Didn't we effectively "buy" a striker in Martin?  Name me another Championship striker with a better goal-scoring record over the last three years? Yes, it's not going well, but the comment at this stage that we did not buy a striker is just simply wrong.
the "entire history of world football" ... I've told you a million times not to exaggerate....  (ah, you can't beat the old ones...)

The Rock

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on October 11, 2016, 09:30:10 PM
Quote from: The Rock on October 11, 2016, 09:01:16 PM

How do you know he didn't get any of the players he wanted? You make this out to be incredibly one-sided, which it isn't, when all evidence save for SJ's rant says otherwise. He was angry because he didn't get everyone he wanted, not because he didn't get anyone he wanted.

I thought he mainly got the KINDS of players he needed and at the end of the window - after his rant, but not necessarily the ones he specifically wanted. I thought it was pretty one sided and that stats boy put the kibosh on most of his choices. Perhaps someday we'll know more. If you have any stats to prove me wrong I am all ears. I don't have stats to back up my one sidedness - it's jsut my take away from the whole thing.