https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (05/11/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 05, 2016, 09:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Cairney feels Fulham can sustain play-off push
by DAN on NOVEMBER 5, 2016

Tom Cairney was delighted to convincingly win the west London derby at Griffin Park last night – insisting that the players owed the Fulham fans a performance after two disappointing years against Brentford.

Cairney, who marked bis 200th domestic league appearance with the clinching second goal in stoppage time, also felt that the manner of Fulham's victory sent a signal to the rest of the Championship that their five-goal mauling of Huddersfield last weekend was no fluke. The Fulham captain was a little disappointed that the visitors didn't have more than Sone Aluko's strike to show for their dominance at half time, but credit some disciplined defending for preserving the lead during the second period.

After last Saturday's result, I think we wanted to show it wasn't really a one-off. I think in the last few years we've come here and got handsomely beaten – and I think we owed that performance to the fans tonight. I think we dominated from start to finish.

In the first half, I think we had something like ten shots, they had none. I think we were unlucky at half time not to come in with a more comfortable lead – but these things happen. I think the boys at the back defended the box brilliantly, especially under the cosh a little bit second half. We could have finished it with a few breakaways in the second half and it seemed a great game for the neutral.

We played great football last season, but we conceded far too many goals. That starts from the front as you know and we've been a lot more solid this year, especially the last few weeks, and I believe with the players we've got in this team, we'll always score goals.

Cairney could have secured the victory earlier than he did, but Daniel Bentley just beat him to a through ball by sprinting out of his box to clear. The Scottish midfielder, who must be closing in on a place in Gordon Strachan's squad if he continues this fine form, says he has made improving his goalscoring return from midfield a major priority this season – and he took his goal with the composure one has come to associate with the one of the league's leading performers.

It was one of them moments where you shut your eyes. I was expecting a bit of a car crash. It was one of them things, I wish I had got there a little bit earlier, but I didn't, but the relief when I scored was magnificent. That's what I'm trying to do, get in goalscoring positions. I feel like I can finish well from midfield and if you're going to anything in the season, you need your midfielders to chip in with goals. That's definitely my aim.

Asked by talkSPORT if he felt Fulham could now become genuine play-off contenders, Cairney felt his team could match anybody in the league on their day. The key, of course, is developing the consistency that could carry them into the top six.

I don't see why not. I'd back us against any team on our day. I think we've got matchwinners in our team and, as you say, as long as we keep it tight at the back, I fancy us to win more games than we lose.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/11/cairney-feels-fulham-can-sustain-play-off-push/?

WhiteJC

Brentford 0 - Fulham 2: Slavisa Jokanovic won't discuss Cottagers promotion hopes

SLAVISA JOKANOVIC insists it is too early to talk up Fulham's promotion prospects after a second successive win moved the club to the fringe of the play-off places.

Slavisa Jokanovic celebrates Fulham's win

A comfortable victory in the west London derby at near neighbours Brentford – secured with goals from Sone Aluko and Tom Cairney - maintained the progress made in last weekend's crushing of Huddersfield.

Jokanovic's side moved level on points with sixth spot ahead of today's games but the manager is refusing to look too far ahead.

He said: "I am very happy with my team. I am happier the last few weeks. I am trying to think about short steps and believe we can be better, more competitive and more solid.

Sone Aluko celebrates scoring against Brentford

"I know what is the ambition of the club is but I prefer to think about what is in the present and that is now the international break and the next game against Sheffield Wednesday."

Aluko struck in the 40th minute, scoring from close range after Brentford keeper Daniel Bentley had saved his first effort.

Brentford had won at QPR seven days previously but offered little until a second half rally finally gave them hope of an equaliser that was snuffed by Cairney's breakaway effort in added time.

Tom Cairney (right) in action for Fulham against Brentford

Jokanovic added: "Tom is a very important player. I have said many times he is Premier League player, but I don't expect us to put him in the market in January."

Brentford manager Dean Smith was frustrated his side failed to repeat their performance at Loftus Road last week.

He said: "Last week we had more players playing well but of you drop a level in this league you get punished. I think we played into their hands."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/729024/Brentford-Fulham-Championship-match-report

WhiteJC

Head Coach Reaction

Slaviša Jokanović was pleased with how his side executed their gameplan at Griffin Park on Friday night.

Brentford had only lost once on their own patch this season before Fulham arrived, but a dominant display earned the Whites a deserved 2-0 win.

"It's always complicated playing in this stadium," Jokanović stated. "I think my team was very well prepared for this game. 

"We started well and we stopped [Scott] Hogan from running off our shoulders. The job that we did was very important for us.

"In the end we showed good ambition, we were very motivated, we played with personality. We went into the end of the game with only one goal difference, but we created many chances to score some more goals."

Fulham go into the latest international break on the back of arguably their two strongest performances of the season, and our Head Coach has been satisfied with the improvement he's seen.

"The last games, step by step, we've started to be more competitive, more solid, more organised," he explained. "It's very good news for us because we kept our fifth clean sheet today.

"Last season we had only four. I believe there's space to improve ourselves, and this is the job that's in front of us."

The result means the Whites are outside the Play-Off spots by just one goal, but Jokanović reiterated his refusal to carried away.

"I try to live in the present," he stated, "I try to think about short steps, I try thinking about the next game.

"I don't know what is going to happen in the spring, at the end of April or beginning of May. It's step by step and if we continue working well, if we continue with our progress, if we continue to improve, many interesting things could happen."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/november/04/head-coach-reaction

HatterDon

Quote from: WhiteJC on November 05, 2016, 09:03:29 AM

FULHAM SHOULD LOOK TO POACH THESE 2 MANCHESTER UTD PLAYERS IN JANUARY

Fulham have disappointed many supporters since their relegation from the Premier League in 2014, having competed in the Europa League final just over six years ago.

The Cottagers are yet to mount a promotion push since then after suffering a survival battle in the 2015/16 campaign.

Currently in the Sky Bet Championship, Fulham are owned by Shahid Khan, who is a billionaire from Pakistan.

He hasn't really established himself as an owner thriving for top-flight football as soon as possible after a number of big-name sales recently.

Most notably is striker Ross McCormack who left Craven Cottage during the summer and joined fellow second-tier side Aston Villa.

As well as Frenchman Moussa Dembele, joining Scottish Premiership champions Celtic and currently scoring goals for fun north of the border.

Although Fulham have one or two promising youngsters coming through, the club need to look big and possibly attract one or two names from the Premier League.

Here are TWO players which Fulham should look to poach from Manchester United in January.....

TIMOTHY FOSU-MENSAH – LOAN

The Dutch Under-21 international has already been a star at Old Trafford after making his debut for Manchester United in late February this year against Arsenal, filling in at left-back.

Fosu-Mensah is labelled as a defensive midfielder, but is clearly versatile and can play in a number of positions, something which would be beneficial at Craven Cottage.

Despite this, it may cost Fulham a lot to prize him away from the Red Devils as the 18-year-old has recently signed a new long-term contract until 2010 with Manchester United.

Perhaps a loan move would be more suitable for both parties but I am sure he would tighten the defence for the Cottagers, who look to improve on their 11th position in the Championship table so far.

Timothy Fosu-Mensah also adds that international experience to Slaviša Jokanović's team as he has several caps for Holland at various youth-levels.

JOE RILEY

Joe Riley is current member of the youth set-up at Manchester United, but has been on the substitute bench for the Red Devils under previous manager Louis van Gaal.

The midfielder can also play left-back, which is where he has most recently been playing for the under-21 side at Old Trafford this season.

Riley has made two appearances for the Manchester United first-team in his career so far, coming on during their FA Cup tie against Shrewsbury Town in February and a Europa League game in a 5-1 home victory.

The 19-year-old doesn't have that much experience obviously but would definitely offer something different at Fulham, which they don't already have – whether it be in the midfield or as a full-back, I am sure the Cottagers would benefit if they poached Joe Riley in January from the Premier League giants.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-should-look-to-poach-these-2-manchester-utd-players-in-january/?

I know that the standards for sports journalism in England have never been sky high, but either footballleagueworld.co.uk can't afford an editor or they all have the grammar, punctuation, and spelling skills of a 12-year-old.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Twig

Terrific compilation.  Thanks so much for this.

gerrys

Quote from: HatterDon on November 05, 2016, 12:37:52 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on November 05, 2016, 09:03:29 AM

FULHAM SHOULD LOOK TO POACH THESE 2 MANCHESTER UTD PLAYERS IN JANUARY

Fulham have disappointed many supporters since their relegation from the Premier League in 2014, having competed in the Europa League final just over six years ago.

The Cottagers are yet to mount a promotion push since then after suffering a survival battle in the 2015/16 campaign.

Currently in the Sky Bet Championship, Fulham are owned by Shahid Khan, who is a billionaire from Pakistan.

He hasn't really established himself as an owner thriving for top-flight football as soon as possible after a number of big-name sales recently.

Most notably is striker Ross McCormack who left Craven Cottage during the summer and joined fellow second-tier side Aston Villa.

As well as Frenchman Moussa Dembele, joining Scottish Premiership champions Celtic and currently scoring goals for fun north of the border.

Although Fulham have one or two promising youngsters coming through, the club need to look big and possibly attract one or two names from the Premier League.

Here are TWO players which Fulham should look to poach from Manchester United in January.....

TIMOTHY FOSU-MENSAH – LOAN

The Dutch Under-21 international has already been a star at Old Trafford after making his debut for Manchester United in late February this year against Arsenal, filling in at left-back.

Fosu-Mensah is labelled as a defensive midfielder, but is clearly versatile and can play in a number of positions, something which would be beneficial at Craven Cottage.

Despite this, it may cost Fulham a lot to prize him away from the Red Devils as the 18-year-old has recently signed a new long-term contract until 2010 with Manchester United.

Perhaps a loan move would be more suitable for both parties but I am sure he would tighten the defence for the Cottagers, who look to improve on their 11th position in the Championship table so far.

Timothy Fosu-Mensah also adds that international experience to Slaviša Jokanović's team as he has several caps for Holland at various youth-levels.

JOE RILEY

Joe Riley is current member of the youth set-up at Manchester United, but has been on the substitute bench for the Red Devils under previous manager Louis van Gaal.

The midfielder can also play left-back, which is where he has most recently been playing for the under-21 side at Old Trafford this season.

Riley has made two appearances for the Manchester United first-team in his career so far, coming on during their FA Cup tie against Shrewsbury Town in February and a Europa League game in a 5-1 home victory.

The 19-year-old doesn't have that much experience obviously but would definitely offer something different at Fulham, which they don't already have – whether it be in the midfield or as a full-back, I am sure the Cottagers would benefit if they poached Joe Riley in January from the Premier League giants.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-should-look-to-poach-these-2-manchester-utd-players-in-january/?

I know that the standards for sports journalism in England have never been sky high, but either footballleagueworld.co.uk can't afford an editor or they all have the grammar, punctuation, and spelling skills of a 12-year-old.
Plus the fact that they are proposing two left-backs, a position that is not currently problematic!