more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (04.02.10)

Started by White Noise, February 03, 2010, 10:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Fulham 1 Portsmouth 0

Both Nicky Shorey and Stefano Okaka made their Fulham debuts as the Whites made a tentative start to this vital game at the Cottage. The first ten minutes certainly saw Portsmouth have the better of the opening exchanges – with Frederic Piquionne in particular drawing a fine save from Mark Schwarzer early on.

Portsmouth were enjoying the upper hand in the midfield battle as both Danny Murphy and Jonathan Greening were quickly finding themselves short on time in possession.

But the Whites soon settled into their defensive shape making life harder for Avram Grant's men when in possession. The attacking tactics used by Portsmouth were certainly reaping fewer dividends.

Aaron Hughes came close to opening his Fulham account on 24 minutes when he got his head to a well placed corner from Damien Duff, forcing David James into a fine fingertip save on the line.

A Portsmouth counter-attack on 23 minutes saw Kevin Prince Boateng wriggle his way through the packed heart of the Whites' defence, only to see his shot well held by Schwarzer.

Stefano Okaka came close to causing confusion in the Portsmouth penalty area when he almost got on the end of a dangerous Damien Duff delivery into the area. With David James in two minds as to whether come for the ball or stay on the line, his choice of staying put ended up being the correct decision as Okaka just failed to make contact.

Fulham's loan striker came within a whisker of putting the Whites in front on 32 minutes after good work from Jonathan Greening. The Fulham midfielder rose high in the area to nod a cross into the path of Okaka, who was loitering at the far post. Unfortunately, the Italian striker could not make sufficient contact to direct the ball past James.

A fine passing move from Fulham involving Kelly, Murphy, Okaka and Greening enabled Zamora to receive the ball in a dangerous area. The striker managed to dummy past two defenders before his shot was blocked from six yards.

There was danger in the Fulham area just minutes later when a clearance dropped to Frederic Piquionne whose shot was well blocked by a diving Stephen Kelly.

Roy Hodgson's men certainly made a better start to the second-half than the first – immediately putting Pompey on the back foot and pressing the opposition high up the pitch. The change in tempo meant Portsmouth were less able to commit men forward with regular frequency, and as a result both Piquionne and Dindane were forced to work harder so see the ball.

Fulham's first substitution of the game came relatively early when, on 55 minutes, Stephen Kelly was replaced by Kagisho Dikgacoi. The move saw Dikgacoi join Danny Murphy in the centre of midfield with Chris Baird shifting to right-back.

Following a lull in play, Danny Murphy and Damien Duff got the Whites moving again. Murphy skipped away from a challenge in midfield and played a pass to Duff who cut on to his left foot on the edge of the area and forced a corner after working a good shooting opportunity.

As the second-half progressed the play started becoming somewhat fragmented in nature with play punctuated by a number of stoppages and throw-ins. Of the two sides, Fulham were attacking with greater purpose but Portsmouth were still able to trouble the Whites, albeit through a more direct style of football.

Stefano Okaka's debut ended on 69 minutes when he was replaced by Erik Nevland in a like-for-like swap.

Fulham took the lead through Jonathan Greening on 74 minutes after Damien Duff did well to get to the by-line and fire a low cross across the face of the six yard box. The ball ran past Zamora but Greening was on hand at the back post to emphatically place his shot past James.

Fulham's final substitution of the evening saw David Elm replace Bobby Zamora on 77 minutes. Elm and Nevland immediately struck up an understanding.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/MatchAndTeam/MatchCentre/Matches/0910/Premiership/PortsmouthHome.aspx#ixzz0eXwdrFTx

White Noise

Hodgson's Portsmouth Reaction

Wednesday 3rd February 2010

Fulham FC News

Speaking after Wednesday evening's victory over Portsmouth at the Cottage, Fulham Manager Roy Hodgson gave his post-match assessment:

"Tonight's victory was a crucial one for us, it was a little bit of a make-or-break," he said.

"If you go to a sixth defeat at home to Portsmouth it's hard to get your season back on track.

"To win was the all-important thing. I've seen us play better, but I've seen us play better and take nothing so I will be quite happy and be grateful for the three points.

"I've got to say it was a fairly fortunate victory, but I think I can put that into context with all the rather unfortunate defeats we've had lately where we haven't really deserved the results we've got. It was good to get the three points and get to the 30 point mark.

"It was a good performance from Portsmouth and I can imagine Avram Grant must be absolutely devastated not to get anything from the game but I know how he feels because I have been in that position once or twice myself recently.

"Our problem at the moment is all the injuries. It really is the worst injury crisis I think I've experienced as a manager.

"To lose six players from last year's team, it's so difficult to replace that. I think we are doing pretty well with all the injuries we've had." 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/HodgsonPortsmouthReaction.aspx#ixzz0eXxdbsZb

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/?p=5189

Rangel rages at his chairman

by Dan on February 4, 2010

Apparently, the Swansea City chairman turned his phone off to stop Fulham from signing Angel Rangel.

I will be honest, what I know from my agent is that Fulham made an offer and it was the offer the (Swansea) chairman was asking for. But then when everything about the deal was sorted and everything was ready, the chairman did not answer his phone or he turned it off.

I think he asked for quite a lot of money for me and Fulham made a huge effort to get me, but he didn't want to sell. I think he asked for quite a high fee and he didn't expect Fulham to agree it.

To be honest I am disappointed. We are not talking about another Championship club or a struggling Premier League club. I have always given my best for Swansea City, but I have always said I would like to consider it if a Premier League club came in for me.

Swansea only paid a few thousand pounds for me so they would have got a good profit out of the deal. But it didn't happen and I am disappointed. I feel like the chairman has stopped me improving my career.

Strong stuff.

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/?p=5196

See Greening's first goal

Here's a look at the goal that took us past Portsmouth last night. Didn't Jonathan Greening take his first Fulham goal well? Damien Duff did brilliantly down the right, but then we almost expect that of him now.

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/?p=5185

Back in the Top Half

by lydia on February 3, 2010

The final whistle has just gone and we find ourselves back in the top half after a very welcome win against Premier League strugglers Portsmouth. Fulham weren't great, but they had their moments and once they scored they where much calmer on the ball and much more assured.

In my last post I said about how we, as fans, just needed to have a little bit of confidence in Roy. We needed a win tonight and thats what we got so now we can look forward to Boltan on Saturday- a match that we have won the last two seasons!

Also, I thought that Shorey was excellant tonight- what a signing by Roy! Okaka looked lively but he definatly should have scored. But he looks hungry for goals so I expect to see him scoring soon.

White Noise

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/soccer/83486072.html

France coach Raymond Domenech says Paul Le Guen or Alain Giresse could replace him after the World Cup.

After six years in charge, Domenech will step down following the World Cup in South Africa later this year.

Although Bordeaux coach Laurent Blanc and Marseille's Didier Deschamps are the favourites, Domenech thinks his successor may not be the selection everyone expects.

"The choice should not be limited to one or two people," the 58-year-old Domenech was quoted as saying Wednesday on the website of sports daily L'Equipe. "Maybe Paul Le Guen is available, Alain Giresse. There are some coaches who have succeeded with other countries."

The 45-year-old Le Guen coached Cameroon at the African Cup of Nations last month, and Giresse led Gabon at that tournament. Both are former France midfielders, with the 57-year-old Giresse starring at the 1982 World Cup.

French football federation head Jean-Pierre Escalettes wants to announce Domenech's successor before the June 11-July 11 World Cup.

Former Fulham boss Jean Tigana, Domenech's current assistant coach, Alain Boghossian, and former France midfielder Luis Fernandez are also possible contenders.

White Noise

The Right Result

Thursday 4th February 2010

Fulham FC News

Brede Hangeland summed up the general mood at Craven Cottage on Wednesday as one of relief as the Whites put a winless streak of six league games behind them with a 1-0 victory over Portsmouth.

It was by no means the most convincing victory of the season for Roy Hodgson's side, but as the Norwegian defender, who more than played his part in keeping a clean sheet despite an, at times, determined Pompey onslaught pointed out, a positive result was the top priority in order to restore confidence.

"I didn't think we played very well," he admitted. "But it was about getting a result and putting this bad spell behind us, and we did that, so we're very happy.

"It's been a tough time because we've had a lot of injury problems. We've actually played quite well in a few of the games, but we haven't had anything at all to show for it. Tonight we didn't play so well, but got the points, and that's what we'd been waiting quite a while for, so in that respect it was really pleasing."

With the squad decimated by even more injuries to the likes of Simon Davies and Zoltan Gera this week, there was at least some encouragement to be gained from the introduction of two new faces, Nicky Shorey, who played the whole game at left-back, and Stefano Okaka Chuka, who made his presence felt for 69 minutes up-front. And Brede was impressed by the impact of the two new acquisitions.

"I thought they did really well," he assessed. "It's always hard to come into a new team and we'd barely met them before they came in and played a game with us, so especially having had that short a time to get to know each other, I thought they both did really well, and they look like good additions to the team and squad."

Having picked up their first Premier League win since the defeat of Manchester United in December, the next challenge for Brede and his team-mates is to put the recent away match jinx behind them this Saturday when they travel to Bolton Wanderers. But despite the Trotters' lowly league position and adjustment to life under new manager Owen Coyle, the defender says there's no good time to travel to the notoriously tricky Reebok Stadium.

"This result is what we needed going into that game, because it's always better to play with confidence on the back of a win, plus we won at Bolton last year, so we'll be going there trying to do that again.
"But it's always going to be difficult going there, regardless of whether they've had a change of manager or not. All that matters is that it's our next game so now we must get ready for that."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/bredeonPompey.aspx#ixzz0eYtzUuFU

White Noise

http://news.myjoyonline.com/features/201002/41559.asp

The most valuable player (MVP) of the tournament indisputably was 25-year-old Mohamed 'Gedo' Nagy of Egypt. The substitution star completed as the tournament's leading scorer with five goals to augment his budding status. It is reported that top clubs like Manchester City, New Castle United, Fulham, Sunderland and Celtic are said to be interested in signing him.

White Noise

SCHMEICHAL KEEPS DAD IN SHADOWS 

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/156141

Kasper Schmeichel is used to going to the FA Cup, but only to see his dad Peter

Thursday February 4,2010

By Matthew Dunn 

KASPER Schmeichel is preparing for the biggest game of his life at the ground where his career as a first-choice Premier League goalkeeper ended. But when it comes to getting advice from his famous father, mum's the word.

Notts County goalkeeper Schmeichel has been to FA Cup and Champions League finals but only as a child cheering on his father Peter, the former Manchester United star.

Having failed to make the grade at Manchester City and scratched around for a living on loan at Darlington, Bury, Falkirk, Cardiff and Coventry over the years, this FA Cup run is his first.

Two seasons ago, he was City's first-choice goalkeeper but seven games into the season a 3-3 draw at Fulham – League Two County's FA Cup fifth-round opponents next week – spelled the end of his life in the limelight.

One substitute league appearance and a start in each of the League Cup and UEFA Cup was as good as it got.

So after such a long time in the wilderness, his man-of-the-match display against Premier League Wigan in the 2-0 win at the DW Stadium on Tuesday not surprisingly felt good.

To make the night even better, his dad was in the stands on a visit from his native Denmark, and the pair were able to celebrate afterwards and look forward to the next one.

"It was good to have my dad here," said Schmeichel, 23. "It's a good feeling, but then we played a good game.

"Fulham are another Premier League club but it will be a totally different game."

Schmeichel senior has seen it all before, of course. As a winner of the Champions League, four Premier Leagues, three FA Cups and a European Championship, he carries with him a wealth of experience, not to mention the technical nous that twice saw him voted the world's best goalkeeper.

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/?p=5191

Shorey settles in nicely

I normally caution against going overboard after a debut, but Nicky Shorey doesn't half look promising on the evidence of last night. My Forest friend might be right when he talks about a deep-lying playmaker as I've not seen a left back influence proceedings so effectively for a long, long time.

Our new arrival slotted into the defence like he'd had been there all season. Plenty of people were expecting Bjorn Helge Riise to start out wide, but Shorey and Greening actually dovetailed pretty effectively – and the full-back didn't look perturbed when Damien Duff popped up on his flank either. In fact, he was probably our most prominent outlet down the left, continually bombing forward and not afraid to take players on.

It seems unfair to compare him to an out-of-position Stephen Kelly but look how high up the pitch Shorey got in comparison:

by Guardian Chalkboards

He reminded me of a slightly younger Rufus Brevett, strong in the tackle but eager to supplement our attacks. Like Paul Konchesky, Shorey seems to be able to whip in a decent cross too. With English qualified left backs thin on the ground, you can see why a few writers have been talking up his chances of making the plane to South Africa should a few more injuries crop up or if the luckless Wayne Bridge becomes the fall guy for the sordid Terry affair.

White Noise

http://www.fulhamusa.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=929

Fulham Take Out Pompey at Craven Cottage with Greening Goal

Both Nicky Shorey and Stefano Okaka made their Fulham debuts as the Whites made a tentative start to this vital game at the Cottage. The first ten minutes certainly saw Portsmouth have the better of the opening exchanges – with Frederic Piquionne in particular drawing a fine save from Mark Schwarzer early on.

Portsmouth were enjoying the upper hand in the midfield battle as both Danny Murphy and Jonathan Greening were quickly finding themselves short on time in possession.

But the Whites soon settled into their defensive shape making life harder for Avram Grant's men when in possession. The attacking tactics used by Portsmouth were certainly reaping fewer dividends.

Aaron Hughes came close to opening his Fulham account on 24 minutes when he got his head to a well placed corner from Damien Duff, forcing David James into a fine fingertip save on the line.   
A Portsmouth counter-attack on 23 minutes saw Kevin Prince Boateng wriggle his way through the packed heart of the Whites' defence, only to see his shot well held by Schwarzer.

Stefano Okaka came close to causing confusion in the Portsmouth penalty area when he almost got on the end of a dangerous Damien Duff delivery into the area. With David James in two minds as to whether come for the ball or stay on the line, his choice of staying put ended up being the correct decision as Okaka just failed to make contact.

Fulham's loan striker came within a whisker of putting the Whites in front on 32 minutes after good work from Jonathan Greening. The Fulham midfielder rose high in the area to nod a cross into the path of Okaka, who was loitering at the far post. Unfortunately, the Italian striker could not make sufficient contact to direct the ball past James.

A fine passing move from Fulham involving Kelly, Murphy, Okaka and Greening enabled Zamora to receive the ball in a dangerous area. The striker managed to dummy past two defenders before his shot was blocked from six yards.

There was danger in the Fulham area just minutes later when a clearance dropped to Frederic Piquionne whose shot was well blocked by a diving Stephen Kelly.

Roy Hodgson's men certainly made a better start to the second-half than the first – immediately putting Pompey on the back foot and pressing the opposition high up the pitch. The change in tempo meant Portsmouth were less able to commit men forward with regular frequency, and as a result both Piquionne and Dindane were forced to work harder so see the ball.

Fulham's first substitution of the game came relatively early when, on 55 minutes, Stephen Kelly was replaced by Kagisho Dikgacoi. The move saw Dikgacoi join Danny Murphy in the centre of midfield with Chris Baird shifting to right-back.

Following a lull in play, Danny Murphy and Damien Duff got the Whites moving again. Murphy skipped away from a challenge in midfield and played a pass to Duff who cut on to his left foot on the edge of the area and forced a corner after working a good shooting opportunity.

As the second-half progressed the play started becoming somewhat fragmented in nature with play punctuated by a number of stoppages and throw-ins. Of the two sides, Fulham were attacking with greater purpose but Portsmouth were still able to trouble the Whites, albeit through a more direct style of football.

Stefano Okaka's debut ended on 69 minutes when he was replaced by Erik Nevland in a like-for-like swap.

Fulham took the lead through Jonathan Greening on 74 minutes after Damien Duff did well to get to the by-line and fire a low cross across the face of the six yard box. The ball ran past Zamora but Greening was on hand at the back post to emphatically place his shot past James.

Fulham's final substitution of the evening saw David Elm replace Bobby Zamora on 77 minutes. Elm and Nevland immediately struck up an understanding.

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/?p=5205

'Oh, Jonathan Greening, he died for our sins'

Nick W, who I met for a convivial pre-match pint last night, had a theory. Portsmouth would a game for battlers and we should get Jonathan Greening in there. He suggested at the expense of Chris Baird and I wasn't sure – but I certainly wouldn't have pitched him in ahead of Bjorn Helge Riise out wide. Shows what I know.

Greening started life as a winger/wide midfielder at Manchester United and, though he doesn't have the blistering pace most managers deem a pre-requisite for a wide player these days, you can see why. He's good with the ball at his feet and an excellent crosser.

In his own understated way, this was a good performance. He was always available for his team-mates and didn't become disheartened by misplacing a few passes, arriving both outside Nicky Shorey in his more regular – at least for Fulham – central midfield role to provide an option.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_5917329,00.html

Hodgson resigned to AJ blow

Fulham striker booked in for knee op on Thursday

Last updated: 4th February 2010   

Roy Hodgson appears to be increasingly pessimistic about Andy Johnson's prospects of playing again this season after confirming the Fulham striker will undergo a knee operation on Thursday.

Johnson has endured a nightmare campaign on the injury front and has been restricted to just eight Premier League appearances due to collarbone, groin and now knee problems.

He has travelled to America to visit renowned surgeon Dr Richard Steadman and has been booked in for an operation on Thursday.

Hodgson had previously been hoping that the lively forward would only be sidelined for a further four weeks in the best-case scenario.

However, the Fulham boss appears to be resigned to being without the England international for the remainder of the campaign.

Disappointed

"He will have knee surgery in America, when they will go in and see what it is and then fix it," said Hodgson.

"There is a risk that he will be out for the rest of the season, but there is also some optimism.

"However, the experience of our medical people think it might be (season-ending).

"I am disappointed in that, because I was still believing he was going to come back and it would not be that long.

"Now I may be looking at the rest of the season with a limited and inexperienced group of front players."

White Noise

Lucky Programme Number

Fulham FC News

The lucky programme number from Wednesday night's match against Portsmouth at the Cottage was  00346 .

If you were the lucky buyer of this numbered edition then please email [email protected]| with a scan or photograph of the inside back cover as proof of your success.

The winner will receive a medium Fulham shirt, signed, as well as a signed copy of Wednesday's programme.

Be sure to pick up a copy of the programme at every home game to be in with a chance of winning great Fulham prizes like these.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/PompeyLuckyProgrammeNumber.aspx#ixzz0eZ2dSP4R

White Noise

Loan Star

Fulham FC News

Nicky Shorey made a superb start to his loan spell with the Whites on Wednesday night with an accomplished display at left-back as Fulham secured all three points against Portsmouth at the Cottage.

Following Wednesday night's win Roy Hodgson praised Shorey and explained the defender has solved what had become a problem position in recent weeks, due to Paul Konchesky's absence through injury.   

"He [Shorey] was outstanding," Hodgson enthused. "He's a very good player and there wasn't much doubt about Nicky Shorey because we know what a good player he is.

"We know what an accomplished Premier League player he is. It was just a case of him solving the problem we've had at left back since Paul Konchesky got injured at Blackburn."

Fulham fans at the Cottage on Wednesday night also saw Stefano Okaka make his debut for the Whites and Hodgson explained that the talented Italian youngster will take time to adapt to his new surroundings.

"I think Okaka's going to take a lot of time because he's a young, raw player," said Hodgson. "Had Erik Nevland not had a problem with his toe he probably wouldn't have started on Wednesday night.

"With Erik's problem we were a bit wary of pushing him for the 90 minutes because we didn't know how long he could last. We threw Stefano in and he showed a lot of determination and a lot of 'grinta' to use an Italian word.

"It will take a lot of time before he comes to terms with how we play but I think he's probably happy to be on a winning team and that maybe is the most important thing of all."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/ShoreyPraise.aspx#ixzz0eZ2vFEqo

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_5917289,00.html

Swans respond to Rangel claims

Jenkins insists Fulham only made offer to loan full-back

Last updated: 4th February 2010   

Rangel: Wanted Fulham move

Swansea City chairman Huw Jenkins has responded to Angel Rangel's claims that the club denied the full-back a deadline day move to Fulham.

Rangel had expressed his frustration at missing out on a switch to Craven Cottage after believing that Fulham had met Swansea's asking price.

However, Jenkins insists that, while the Cottagers did make an offer for the Spaniard, there was no financial incentive for Swansea to agree to a deal.

Fulham wanted to take Rangel on loan with a view to a possible permanent arrangement and Jenkins was not prepared to accept such an offer.

Not poor relations

"In response to the story I would like to clarify certain points," Jenkins told the club's official website.

"At no time did Fulham offer any financial deal for our player apart from a loan option with the 'possibility' of a permanent deal at the end of it.

"I am certainly not prepared to let a regular and quality Championship player with 18 months left on his contract leave the club for virtually nothing.

"As with every footballer at this club, if they don't want to play for Swansea City then they can leave, because it is important we maintain the fantastic spirit and togetherness within the squad that has taken us up to fifth in the Championship. But they will not leave until the deal is right for this football club.

"We've worked too hard and come too far as a football club to give players away for nothing to Premiership or other Championship clubs.

"This football club will not be the poor relations to take any offer on the table."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5917775,00.html

Greening not expecting a scrap

Cottagers ace keen to avoid relegation dogfight

By Chris Burton   Last updated: 4th February 2010   

Jonathan Greening is confident Fulham can avoid being dragged into the Premier League basement battle.

The Cottagers had been hoping to emulate their achievements from last season in 2009/10, with European qualification regarded as a realistic target.

They have, however, been plagued by injuries, with Roy Hodgson unable to boast the biggest squad in the top flight.

Those problems have hindered their cause somewhat, with a five-match losing sequence seeing them slip into the bottom half of the table.

A welcome success over Portsmouth on Wednesday night appears to have blown away a few cobwebs, though, and Greening is convinced the Cottagers can now pull clear of trouble over the second half of the campaign.

Team spirit

"You start worrying when you lose two games on the spin. When you lose five games in a row, of course it knocks your confidence," the experienced midfielder, who scored the only goal of the game against Pompey, told the Evening Standard.

"We're missing some big players to injuries and we're down to the bare bones with a lot of us playing out of position.

"But if you asked the gaffer, he'd say he's got an honest bunch of boys and we'll always give it our all.

"The games are coming thick and fast but I'd like to think we've got a big enough squad with enough quality and team spirit to cope with it."

White Noise

Perfect Timing

Fulham FC News 

Jonathan Greening picked the perfect moment to open his account for Fulham last night, securing the Club's first League victory of the New Year with a one-nil win over Portsmouth at the Cottage.

Greening was delighted to have claimed all three points on Wednesday night and spoke of the spirit and professionalism required on the pitch to cope with the Club's current injury problems.

"It's quite hard when you lose five games in a row so it's all about getting back to winning ways," said Greening. "We probably didn't play as well as we have been recently but we got the three points.

"I think you worry when you lose two games on the spin but losing five games knocks your confidence a bit. We've been playing some half-decent football and have been a bit unlucky, especially Blackburn away and Stoke in the second-half.

"We've lost some key players. I had to fill in on the wing which I haven't done for about five or six years. People have been filling in and trying to do a job because we're all professional and we all want to play. I'll try and do a job anywhere, the gaffer knows my favourite position is the centre of midfield but if called upon I'll always give my best, that's all you can do.

"We're all trying to pull together, we've got a good Team spirit and everyone works hard for each other. We got the result; everyone dug in and gave one hundred percent. The injuries haven't helped and we've been missing some big players and of course that's going to upset the rhythm of things but now we're back to winning ways hopefully we can get a positive result against Bolton away."

Greening certainly knows how to find the back of the net against Porstmouth and the midfielder was impressed with Fulham's two new loan signings on Wednesday night.

"I scored against Portsmouth home and away last year so they must be my team," said Greening. "It's nice to get my first goal out of the way and hopefully there'll be a few more to come. It would be nice to get a run of games in the Team like I did earlier this season when Danny was out.

"I thought Nicky Shorey was excellent, he's got a sweet left foot and you don't play for England if you're not a good player. Stefano's a strong boy, he was unlucky with the header - I probably should have scored myself, I went for goal but it went to him. He doesn't speak much English at the moment but as his English improves the better it will be for him and all of us."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/GreeningPompeyReaction.aspx#ixzz0eZcyJHH0