watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Late challenges

Started by hopper, October 16, 2016, 11:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopper

Just watching a recording of match of the day and seen the Xhaka red which was an embarrassingly late lunge.

This got me thinking about how I often see tackles which are so terrible that they miss the guy completely but are cynical in attempt but go unpunished. Always something which has annoyed me and seems like poor refereeing not to punish these examples.

Seem to remember it happened with a QPR player the other week.

Has anyone here ever seen anyone booked for a case like this?

Lighthouse

It is a good point. But hard I guess to enforce unless the attempted tackle was obviously reckless. 

I shoot somebody and miss. I shoot somebody and injure them. I shoot somebody and kill them. Three different outcomes but the same intent but three different punishments. The same with tackles and fouls. If that makes sense.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

cmg

A few choice examples of late challenges yesterday.
A couple on Aluko so late they almost made it to next week's highlights.

NogoodBoyo

Quote from: cmg on October 17, 2016, 12:05:04 AM
A few choice examples of late challenges yesterday.
A couple on Aluko so late they almost made it to next week's highlights.
Careful, CMG, or you'll be reported for excess use of un-warrented humour.
Nogood "stirring the pot, isit" Boyo

NogoodBoyo

By the way, your post was very funny.
Nogood "trumpeting the maverick, isit" Boyo

hopper

Quote from: Lighthouse on October 16, 2016, 11:37:58 PM
It is a good point. But hard I guess to enforce unless the attempted tackle was obviously reckless. 

I shoot somebody and miss. I shoot somebody and injure them. I shoot somebody and kill them. Three different outcomes but the same intent but three different punishments. The same with tackles and fouls. If that makes sense.

I guess its obviously reckless unless there is some visible sign of pulling out.

I think it should be a definite yellow when it happens.

HatterDon

I remember several seasons ago when young Mr. Rosenior saw a straight red against Reading at the Cottage. He dived in at a Reading player, missed, but was dismissed because, in the opinion of the ref, the intent was there. I remember the Royals diminutive Irish striker intervening with the ref in Rosenior's defense, but the thing was done.

As for Xhaka, I was watching the match when that happened. The announcer said he had something like 7 or 8 straight reds over the last three seasons. Talk about form.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

YankeeJim

If I were a Barnsley fan I'd be be upset at the lack of quality they displayed and the fact that they just quit after Martin's goal. The last ten minutes it looked like a FFC passing drill. That and Tony Pulis would have loved this team. One cheap shot after another. The red was just an over eager and sloppy tackle and I don't think the hit was intended. But so many others: Odoi looked like a punching bag on occasion and the cleats on Cairney's ankle was totally intentional.

Now if we can just get that counter business sorted.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Bill2

Quote from: YankeeJim on October 17, 2016, 01:17:39 AM
If I were a Barnsley fan I'd be be upset at the lack of quality they displayed and the fact that they just quit after Martin's goal. The last ten minutes it looked like a FFC passing drill. That and Tony Pulis would have loved this team. One cheap shot after another. The red was just an over eager and sloppy tackle and I don't think the hit was intended. But so many others: Odoi looked like a punching bag on occasion and the cleats on Cairney's ankle was totally intentional.

Looking at the highlights the red was a red, he missed the ball completely and had he taken Scotty P's ankles would have broken his leg. They didn't show any of the other tackles which have been mentioned.

epsomraver

The law says that intent is enough for a booking or dismissal, the fact there is contact or not is irrelevant

YankeeJim

Quote from: Bill2 on October 17, 2016, 05:30:48 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on October 17, 2016, 01:17:39 AM

Looking at the highlights the red was a red, he missed the ball completely and had he taken Scotty P's ankles would have broken his leg. They didn't show any of the other tackles which have been mentioned.

On the highlight video, just click on the location indicator and roll it back a bit. Voila, instant replay.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.